Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Mark Sanchez and a slew of Burn outs have cost us Revis?(merged REVIS x 100)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I'd like to think we could get something like this ... but I just can't see it.

Best I could see is a first and a third. And even then, not particularly high ones. We'd really need to hit well on both to get equal value, IMHO. What does a mid to low first get you in this year's draft - a TE, a G? Maybe a Safety? I just can't get excited about that.
    Probably right....hopefully our new GM can draft better than we have since 2009.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans are like those two old muppets in the balcony.

Wah. Nah! Wah. Waaaaaa!

Would love to see them trade revis just to see how many diapers it would take to absorb all of the butthurt.

Nancies....

Sent from a phone using an app

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Nice work Patman. From your choices I think Denver will show interest. Their Safety lost them that last playoff game. Denver needs to win now with Manning and getting him a support cast could make the difference.
    Losing Mario Williams didn't hurt Houston, didn't help Buffalo.

One man does not make a team.

Hope Revis stays but not at his asking price.

We can go 8 and 8. And. 6 and 10 without his help.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    So really I just wish the Jets would resign Revis. He's a great player and the Jets have been spending foolishly for guys who didn't deserve it. Why not spend the big money now on a guy who clearly does deserve the money?
    So what if he deserves the money?

Do you want to tie up 15%+ of your cap on a friggn' CB?

You think Revis will give the Jets some kind of "hometown discount"?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Looked pretty good when we went to AFC Championship games twice. Having Revis didn't have an effect on our front office using the 5th overall pick on a terrible quarterback. If they had instead drafted a different position and signed a decent vet we might have a super bowl.
    People keep acting like the Jets FO moves and Rex's decsions were somehow forced upon them when they weren't. There were plenty of folks out here who were saying then that the Jets were acting like a team without a coherent plan.

For example if the Jets thought that they were really capable of going to the SB in Rex's first two years then how in the world could you replace a HOF QB with a rookie with limited college experience, does that make any sense!!!

Hmmm or why not draft Freeman who had more college experience if you wanted a caretaker QB and not trade away valuable role players!!

This doesn't even include the foolishness with the Jets OC. Schotty was already shown PRIOR to Sanchez's arrival to be a limited game day caller. The vast majority of JI were surprised he was retained when Rex was named HC!!

So the plan was a DUMB one from the begining if you thought the Jets were a SB ready team.

If you thought that the Jets would have to build up in the first three years and draft a QB in the fifth pick in the draft how do you not have a plan to develop him and continue to permit the pieces around him to deteriorate!! IT IS CALLED INSANITY!! The fact that we have some of the worst skill players in the league on the Jets tell you all you need to know.

And the Jets FO and HC did this all on their own...
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 01-26-2013 at 06:05 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    So what if he deserves the money?

Do you want to tie up 15%+ of your cap on a friggn' CB?

You think Revis will give the Jets some kind of "hometown discount"?
    I'd rather that than have 10% tied up in Mark friggin' Sanchez.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Trading revis is the only move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I agree. Houston got JJ Watt . He is a difference maker.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why but I feel a strong Indy vibe. Their back 7 has never had that type of leader, and absent them finding a Freeney in his prime type pass rusher, they are going to need a good secondary to defend the pass because I think Luck will keep them ahead in games a lot.

Also feeling Tampa Bay...their free agency modus operandi in the last few years has been spend big. Hopefully we can catch the tail end of that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's simple, when you have a highly talented player who commands a lot of money nearing the end of his contract, and your team has lots of holes, you trade him for players/picks because it gives you a better opportunity to become an improved team in both the long and shot run.

It's weird how Sandy Alderson and the Mets made the right choice trading the Cy Young winner. Absolutely no one criticized the deal. How is this situation any different?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    This time started by a Patriots fan. I started this thread so that potential trades could have somewhat of a logical framework. The framework includes the assumption that Revis will require a contract of 6 years with a 12.5 salary and 35mill guaranteed.

I think Revis should stay with they jets unless they can get a #1 pick. Fans need something to hold on to and he is a better face than Rex for the team. The jets can up his salary for the next three years and then guarantee a large bonus in 2016 ans spread that over the last three years of his deal.
    Revis Will have his salary increased from 3 mill to 11 mill in 2014 and 2015
    in 2016 he gets 25 mill SB and salaries of 7 per year for three years. This ends up being 6 years and 70 mill, but no worries about next years performance. This does not increase his cap hit for next year allowing the jets some flexibility

If he is traded. My understanding is that under the new CBA the SB has to be amortized over 5 years max and that players salaries can not increase more than 30% each year of the contract. That means that his first year cap hit for the NEW team will be at least 10 mill. (3mill salary and 7mill SB)

These are the following team with at least 10 mill of cap room. With a quick note regarding Their level of interest or actual cap situation.

Baltimore $1.2M $15.7M (Flacco, Ellebree, Williams, Mckinne FA)
    Buffalo $9.8M $20.6M AFC EAST
    Chicago $3.2M $13.3M needs Oline, WR no 2nd rd pick
    Cincinnati $8.5M $55.1M did not think Joseph was worth 8 mill
    Cleveland $14.3M $48.9M Hayden is FA in 2014
    Denver $11.5M $18.5M Clady FA this year, so is CB Porter
    Houston $2.4M $12.9M signed joseph & drafted cb #1
    Indianapolis $3.5M $46M
    Jacksonville $19.5M $22.1M
    Kansas City $14M $16.1M let Carr go at 8 mill but new gm
    Miami $5.3M $35.8M afc east
    Minnesota $8M $16.1M
    New England $5.6M $18.6M afc east /pay structure
    Seattle $13.2M $18.6M Best and cheapest secondary in the NFL
    Tampa Bay $8.5M $31.3M
    Tennessee $12.8M $19.4M

Based on not trading him in the division and eliminating Balt, Houston and Seattle as they already have quality players or inn balt's case no money once Flacco is signed. There are 9 teams that could have an interest and have enough cap room to get it done.
    This is an excellent POST!!!

The key point is that the Jets shouldn't trade Revis if they can avoid it and you point how they can avoid it!!

Thanks!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking Revis is going to need a lot more than 35M guaranteed ... and I don't see him settling for 12.5 per, ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I'm thinking Revis is going to need a lot more than 35M guaranteed ... and I don't see him settling for 12.5 per, ...
    I'll be pretty pissed if they let him walk at those numbers, which are not anything close to crazy.

He is probably looking for at least $15M a year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post

I get your point, but stop comparing him to Mario Williams. He was a player known for taking plays off who Houston didn't even make an offer to and Buffalo bidded basically against themselves. They got burned like many were worried they would by a lazy player who stopped trying when he got paid. Williams is more comparable to Haynseworth. Revis is one of the hardest working players in sports and, assuming he is healthy, will be good for years.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It's weird how Sandy Alderson and the Mets made the right choice trading the Cy Young winner. Absolutely no one criticized the deal. How is this situation any different?
    Maybe cause Dickey never won more than 11 games before in his career, is 38 years old and was a total fluke?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Well then he will need to go to FA and prove that he is the same player that he was. After being the star of stage and screen in NY, will he be happier making 2 mill more a year in Cinci or Indy or KC. I think he has an ego, do you thing he will be happy with his name being mentioned with the great players in the game as often as Tamba Hali?

IMO there is not team out there that is going to give him 6 and 75 without him playing for a year on that leg. They might not be Revis, but no GM is going to get fired for signing, Grimes, DRC, Cason, Jenkins, Derek Cox, Gary Williams, Talib or any one of the other #1 corners out there, while not Revis at least they would cost 1/2 the price and not cost any picks. No GM wants to get fired, they want to win, but they rather have a job. A gm that gives a #1 pick and revis misses anytime after being paid 35 mill SB and 15 mill a year will be updating his resume in January.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are NOT gonna get that same value that Walker brought in TODAYS NFL. It just doesn't happen! You will be lucky to get 2 firsts, but prob won't get that either....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Maybe cause Dickey never won more than 11 games before in his career, is 38 years old and was a total fluke?
    Fukes don't average 205 innings pitched and 156 strikeouts a season over 3 years with a 2.95 era. It's a football board so I won't go into more detail, but you are incorrect on many, many levels.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's simple, when you have a highly talented player who commands a lot of money nearing the end of his contract, and your team has lots of holes, you trade him for players/picks because it gives you a better opportunity to become an improved team in both the long and shot run.

because Revis is 100X the player R.A. Dickey is and Jet fans have become enamored with him....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fukes don't average 205 innings pitched and 156 strikeouts a season over 3 years with a 2.95 era. It's a football board so I won't go into more detail, but you are incorrect on many, many levels.
    But your analogy is worthless because the process of putting a team together in football and baseball are very different.

And Revis is not the equivalent to Dickey anyway.

Try another one, this was a flop.