Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Revis: The current situation

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis: The current situation

First it was brilliant to leak to the media the idea of trading Revis. Now the Jets can really evaluate what they could potentially get for him. Does this mean he is done as a Jet? No not at all. They could still keep him and let him play next season, provided he doesn't hold out, and tell him and his agents that they are going to sign him to a long term deal after the season. The real issue? Is an all pro DB worth north of a $96 million deal for 6 years and what effect would that have on the team to add more defensive and offensive talent?

Also let's be clear about Mr Revis's feelings...he was the one who held out for a new contract when he was under contract saying he wanted enough money in case his playing days came to an end. Well I don't know about you but I could easily live on what he is making right now for the rest of my life. If Revis truly wanted to stay a Jet it would not be about being the highest paid player on defense it would be about good money for a DB because he wants to stay with the team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    First it was brilliant to leak to the media the idea of trading Revis. Now the Jets can really evaluate what they could potentially get for him. Does this mean he is done as a Jet? No not at all. They could still keep him and let him play next season, provided he doesn't hold out, and tell him and his agents that they are going to sign him to a long term deal after the season. The real issue? Is an all pro DB worth north of a $96 million deal for 6 years and what effect would that have on the team to add more defensive and offensive talent?

Also let's be clear about Mr Revis's feelings...he was the one who held out for a new contract when he was under contract saying he wanted enough money in case his playing days came to an end. Well I don't know about you but I could easily live on what he is making right now for the rest of my life. If Revis truly wanted to stay a Jet it would not be about being the highest paid player on defense it would be about good money for a DB because he wants to stay with the team.
    You are absolutely right. Revis wants to be a Jet only as long as he is the highest paid defensive player in the league! How's that for loyalty? Home-town discount is not in his or his agent's vocabulary.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all seem to forget "pay me 50 cents more than Nnamdi".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis wants to get paid, first and foremost. After that, and this is a distant second, he wants to stay with the Jets. Probably right up there with staying with the Jets is that he loves playing for Rex Ryan.

Now many here may want to get upset and call him Mevis or whatever. Nobody should care, least of all Revis.

As has been said many times before, the Jets gave out foolish money contracts to players that just were not worth it. So why not pay Revis? This is the one guy that mans up each and every single week and is worth the big money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that after Idzik thoroughly examines the roster, and cuts/restructures some guys, there will be enough $ to sign Revis. The issue is, does he want to stay here? If so, the deal will get done. If not, time to move on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Revis wants to get paid, first and foremost. After that, and this is a distant second, he wants to stay with the Jets. Probably right up there with staying with the Jets is that he loves playing for Rex Ryan.

Now many here may want to get upset and call him Mevis or whatever. Nobody should care, least of all Revis.

As has been said many times before, the Jets gave out foolish money contracts to players that just were not worth it. So why not pay Revis? This is the one guy that mans up each and every single week and is worth the big money.
    Except he is not worth it. He does not have the impact of a top QB, LT or rusher. Or even a receiver for that matter. You dont pay franchise QB money for a CB no matter how good he is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

You can't use a mistake as precedent. The GM has to install fiscal responsibility in this organization. Tanny's demise was akin the the Housing bubble and the secondary mortgage crisis. Eventually bad deals catch up with you.

We need to straitened this team out over the next two years. Sanchez and Holmes will be off the books next year.

A healthy team could resign Revis. The JETS are not a healthy team. We need broad spectrum antibiotics in the form of a slew of draft picks.