Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The relative value of a CB

Jets Insider VIP
    This is ridiculous

I'll take a stud QB, LT or passrusher over a shutdown CB anyday of the week.

Would you take Revis over Brady, Rodgers or Peyton?

Would you take Revis over JJ Watt or DeMarcus Ware?

Didn't think so.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Revis wouldn't prohibit the Jets from filling other positions. Stupid contracts like David Harris, Calvin Pace, Mark Sanchez, etc. and the trading of picks are. It's amazing that people don't care about overpaying for mediocrity, but care about paying for greatness. Darrelle Revis is greatness.
    yes! Blame other "stupid" contracts to justify creating a new "stupid" contract. I would say that kind of logic is a great way to run a franchise!

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'd say it's more like this

QB>>>>LT>>Rusher #1>>>>>>>>>>Rusher #2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CB.

Here's the thing. For all the talk of how "great" Rex's defenses have been, we've never had a pass rusher. Not a single one. We were successful because Revis could lock down one side of the field and allow Rex to call a ton of blitzes. Ultimately a top pass rusher and a CB at Revis's level are fairly equal IMO. The issue is that there are more top pass rushers than there are CBs at Revis's level. In fact there are no other CBs in the league right now (that I can think of) at Revis's level.

Remember the last time this franchise traded away an elite talent at one of these premium positions. It was John Abraham. That was 8 years ago. And we have yet to find even one pass rusher. Remember when we finally cut ties with Aaron Glenn near the end of his career... It took us 5-6 years to find another corner in his class, and that was Revis. We went from the likes of Aaron Beasley to Derrick Strait and a whole bunch of garbage in between.

IMO, when you have an elite talent at either CB, OT, QB or a pass rusher (DE or OLB) you pay him. Period.

If the Jets trade Revis they BETTER RESIGN LANDRY. They'll need another CB too because Kyle Wilson is sorry.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    yes! Blame other "stupid" contracts to justify creating a new "stupid" contract. I would say that kind of logic is a great way to run a franchise!
    The contract is only stupid if the player isn't worth it.

Sanchez, Holmes and Harris are NOT worth what they are being paid.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    If the Jets trade Revis they BETTER RESIGN LANDRY. They'll need another CB too because Kyle Wilson is sorry.
    This is something that I hope the "Trade Revis Now" camp understand ... if we lose him, they have to watch Kyle Wilson start every week.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Here's the thing. For all the talk of how "great" Rex's defenses have been, we've never had a pass rusher. Not a single one. We were successful because Revis could lock down one side of the field and allow Rex to call a ton of blitzes. Ultimately a top pass rusher and a CB at Revis's level are fairly equal IMO. The issue is that there are more top pass rushers than there are CBs at Revis's level. In fact there are no other CBs in the league right now (that I can think of) at Revis's level.

Remember the last time this franchise traded away an elite talent at one of these premium positions. It was John Abraham. That was 8 years ago. And we have yet to find even one pass rusher. Remember when we finally cut ties with Aaron Glenn near the end of his career... It took us 5-6 years to find another corner in his class, and that was Revis. We went from the likes of Aaron Beasley to Derrick Strait and a whole bunch of garbage in between.

IMO, when you have an elite talent at either CB, OT, QB or a pass rusher (DE or OLB) you pay him. Period.
    I was just thinking the same thing earlier ... sure, we got a great player in that trade in Mangold, but a great Center vs. a great Pass Rusher?

So if we trade Revis and draft a great guard or right tackle to try to fix the O, excuse me if I don't do cartwheels.

QB-LT-DE/OLB (scheme) -DT-CB

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    This is something that I hope the "Trade Revis Now" camp understand ... if we lose him, they have to watch Kyle Wilson start every week.
    Not only that but we're probably stuck with Yeremiah Bell and some JAG replacing Landry b/c with our cap situation he's probably gone too. Bottom 5 secondary.

Having Landry instead of a scrub like Jim Leonhard mitigated the Revis injury last season.

Anyone remember Bailey for Portis? I am in favor of trading everyone BUT Revis, but it would be interesting to see if any teams would be willing to give us a quality offensive player.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I'd say it's more like this

QB>>>>LT>>Rusher #1>>>>>>>>>>Rusher #2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>CB.
    QFT

Trade the beast!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    This is ridiculous

I'll take a stud QB, LT or passrusher over a shutdown CB anyday of the week.

Would you take Revis over Brady, Rodgers or Peyton?

Would you take Revis over JJ Watt or DeMarcus Ware?

Didn't think so.
    Question is - is anyone going to trade us a stud QB, LT or pass rusher for Revis?

Of course not.

So we're going to trade him to get an extra draft pick or two to try to turn into the next stud QB / pass rusher (I'll ignore LT as we already have a very good one).

We'd better be very, very sure we can get a real stud. I'm sure everyone thought we'd get another pass rusher after we traded Abe.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Question is - is anyone going to trade us a stud QB, LT or pass rusher for Revis?

Of course not.

So we're going to trade him to get an extra draft pick or two to try to turn into the next stud QB / pass rusher (I'll ignore LT as we already have a very good one).

We'd better be very, very sure we can get a real stud. I'm sure everyone thought we'd get another pass rusher after we traded Abe.
    Here's the thing. The Jets hold all the cards. They know how much it will take to resign him. They know if they are or are not willing to do so.

IF, the new FO has no plans of resigning Revis, whatever we get is gravvy.

The Jets FO would be negligent if they did not do everything in their power to explore a trade - today. THis is similar to the Keyshawn trade. It was the right thing to do then, and it's the right thing to do now.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Here's the thing. The Jets hold all the cards. They know how much it will take to resign him. They know if they are or are not willing to do so.

IF, the new FO has no plans of resigning Revis, whatever we get is gravvy.

The Jets FO would be negligent if they did not do everything in their power to explore a trade - today. THis is similar to the Keyshawn trade. It was the right thing to do then, and it's the right thing to do now.
    I agree about exploring the trade ... if a good offer comes along, you have to consider it, whoever the player is.

What worries me more is the sentiment going around to "take what we can get" ... that just sounds a very negative approach IMO.

All League
    Is this the same messageboard that routinely cites Peter King as an anti Jet, know nothing bufoon?

All Pro
    The CB is no where near the top 4 positions. QB pass rusher, NT to stop the run, and keep the QB from stepping up, so the pass rusher can get there. Then LT, RB, MLB, and Center. You need to be strong up the middle first. Next a WR can take over a game. A CB cannot. CB comes somewhere right after this.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Is this the same messageboard that routinely cites Peter King as an anti Jet, know nothing bufoon?
    Yes

It's not a question of how good Revis is. It's how much does he improve the Jets. How many of these guys would make our D better if they were on the team rather than Revis?

DeMarcus Ware
    Haloti Ngata
    Terrell Suggs
    Jared Allen
    Von Miller
    Lamar Woodley
    JPP
    Clay Matthews
    James Harrison
    Tamba Hali
    Ndomakong Suh

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    It's not a question of how good Revis is. It's how much does he improve the Jets. How many of these guys would make our D better if they were on the team rather than Revis?

DeMarcus Ware
    Haloti Ngata
    Terrell Suggs
    Jared Allen
    Von Miller
    Lamar Woodley
    JPP
    Clay Matthews
    James Harrison
    Tamba Hali
    Ndomakong Suh
    With the exceptions of Suh, Ngata and Ware - Revis is more valuable than anyone on that list. Rex's blitz schemes can be more aggressive with Revis and Cro in the secondary than Cro and Wilson.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    The CB is no where near the top 4 positions. QB pass rusher, NT to stop the run, and keep the QB from stepping up, so the pass rusher can get there. Then LT, RB, MLB, and Center. You need to be strong up the middle first. Next a WR can take over a game. A CB cannot. CB comes somewhere right after this.
    Pretty sure that more CB's get drafted in the first two rounds than NT, RB, MLB, and C, and probably WR as well. Actual NFL teams don't seem to agree with what you posted, just sayin'