Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

Jets Insider VIP
    People don't think this proposed Revis contract is a big deal in the same way they didn't think it was a big deal when the Yankees bid against themselves and extended ARod for 10 years. At the time, they argued, he deserved it. Sure it was probably too much, but he was going to make up the money by breaking the home run record... bet they think differently of that contract today. And I suspect they'll feel similar in 3-4 years if we resign Mevis.

Can someone tell me the number of successful teams in the salary cap era have made the cornerback their highest paid player? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can get Cro and Landry for less money than Revis wants.
    Wrong. Cro counts 10.75M against the cap all by himself and if we get rid of Revis he'll want more next time around.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Wrong. Cro counts 10.75M against the cap all by himself and if we get rid of Revis he'll want more next time around.
    Here's what I find strange.. The Revis worshippers like yourself think he can be signed for a reasonable deal yet you say Cro will want more next time.. Cro could have had more by signing with the Raiders.. When has Revis shown that he will turn down money to stay with the Jets??

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Good post. It's bizarre myth that we need to salary-cap dump one of the NFL's best players. And for what? To keep overpaid players like Sanchez, Holmes and even Harris?

If the Jets are stupid enough to trade Revis, primarily for financial reasons, they will become an even bigger laughing stock amongst NFL teams. You do all you can to keep great players, you don't salary dump them in their prime in order to keep inferior players.

Trim the obvious fat and, reluctantly, consider moving a guy like Cro whose value will never be higher.

Drafting a QB, even high in the draft, will not cost much in cap terms. With some smart cap management, there will be plenty of money from 2014 on to add more weapons to the O.
    Thank you MC. It's refreshing to have someone here who actually thinks as opposed to just reacting out of hatred and prejudice. Boo Hoo Hoo, Revis held out, he's a greedy bastard.

The main question here is Revis for $13.5, or Cromartie for $11.5. Pick one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Thank you MC. It's refreshing to have someone here who actually thinks as opposed to just reacting out of hatred and prejudice. Boo Hoo Hoo, Revis held out, he's a greedy bastard.

When did Revis say he would play for 13.5 do you have a link??

Cromartie's deal AVERAGES 8 million per year. (4 years, 32 million).

Revis' proposed deal AVERAGES 16 million per year.

Put in perspective, and not based on one year's figures. There will be years that a 13.5 million dollar deal counts for more than that during the year.

Actually, it really is Revis for 13.5 and atleast another 1st round pick or Cromartie for 11.5. Given the state of the team, we need more talent. Rather have two good players(at potentially important positions) than just one great one.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Signing Revis will drastically improve the run defense, right?

How many teams shut Brady down? And how do you shut down Brady?

Pass rush.
    You know I wasn't saying that, but take a look at the amount of tackles Revis makes year in and year out, quite a few. Now do you prefer Revis, or Cromartie back there.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    How long are we going to neglect this piss poor excuse for an offense? The entire unit is a disaster yet we're supposed to limit our resources even further by dishing out a $100 million dollar contract to a CB that our defense did just fine without last year? Where the hell is the logic in this?

Trade him to the highest bidder and move on.
    We are already spending more on offense than we do on defense ... so we are not neglecting it, we've just made some (very) bad decisions to date.

If we go with Ellis at NT next year (even if it means resigning Pouha at a lower rate as depth) we can have our starting DL playing for less than $5m, and probably doing a pretty good job.

Dump Scott and start Davis at LB; start someone like McIntyre in place of Pace / Thomas and draft another OLB. That way you could have all 4 starting LB's for about $16m, and probably get a similar level of play as 2012. (Obviously Harris @ $13m is the issue here, but that can be solved next year).

$21m for a starting front 7 gives you more to spend on the secondary. Cro is just under $11m, Lets say Revis gets $13.5m. That's $45.5m, and you need two safeties.

For that same money on O, we get Sanchez, Holmes, Brick, Mangold, Hill and Powell. That's it. Those 6 alone will cost us just under $47m in 2013. As with Harris, we're stuck with that for 2013 but can solve that next year. But on top of that we need three OL, a TE and a FB.

My point is that Revis can be given a high figure and still make it work, based on where we are at with the rest of the D. People get hung up on "one man as a % of the overall cap", but if you look at it as a unit it's not as problematic. Our true problem is on O, especially having Sanchez and Holmes costing us $25m in 2013. I don't want to lose Revis because of this. 2014 those two can be long gone, and we still keep our talented, worthwhile players.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    When did he say he wanted "franchise QB money", ie approx $20M, as much of JI seems to believe?

Revis hasn't said, anywhere, what he wants to be paid. All we have as speculation and conjecture.

But Revis, and his agents, know what his value is. So does the rest of the NFL, as we will see if he is ever traded or hits FA.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We must keep Revis at all cost!

We've already seen what happens when he's not on the field! Our pass defense will drastically decline from best in the league to 2nd best in the league!

Good God, man!

How will we cope!

What's the use in acquiring all of these extra resources to fix our dogsh*t offense if we can't watch the best CB in the league every Sunday!?!!?!
    One question for you, Revis at $13.5, or Cromartie?

Jets Insider VIP
    One question for you, Revis at $13.5, or Cromartie?
    It's a moot question.

Revis isn't signing for $13.5 per

Here's what I find strange.. The Revis worshippers like yourself think he can be signed for a reasonable deal yet you say Cro will want more next time.. Cro could have had more by signing with the Raiders.. When has Revis shown that he will turn down money to stay with the Jets??
    I'm not a worshipper, I'm a Math guy and for my money, I'll take Revis for a little more over Cromartie.

Regarding the other parts of your statement:

I'm not sure about the details of Cromartie's Oakland contract, but Revis is still with us, so not sure what he would do if he had a better offer.

All Pro
    Cromartie's deal AVERAGES 8 million per year. (4 years, 32 million).

Revis' proposed deal AVERAGES 16 million per year.

Put in perspective, and not based on one year's figures. There will be years that a 13.5 million dollar deal counts for more than that during the year.
    Proposed by who? Oh yeah...un-named "sources". We all know they always speak the truth, right?
    Last edited by mrcoops; 01-26-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Imagine bolstering the team with a high pick, a 3rd round pick and an existing player. The defense would be intact.

Honestly, I am eyeing a trade with Houston. 2012 2nd,4th, 2013 1st and Brooks Reed or Connor Barth (injured player - pass rusher for injured player (Revis).
    So you want Houston to gut their roster to pay Revis 15 mill 2 years after paying joseph 8.5 mill and drafting a first rd corner last year in kareem jackson.
    If the jets don't want to pay 25 mill for two corners why would the Texans.

Some of these proposed trades don't take any reality into consideration. Trading Revis to a team that is over the cap and just gave a 50mill contract to a CB the same year as drafting one in the 1st rd.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'm not a worshipper, I'm a Math guy and for my money, I'll take Revis for a little more over Cromartie.

Regarding the other parts of your statement:

I'm not sure about the details of Cromartie's Oakland contract, but Revis is still with us, so not sure what he would do if he had a better offer.
    Cro was offered more money by the Raiders during the time Tanny was trying to sign Aso.. I wish fans would stop saying some of us hate Revis. I don't I just put the good of the team above one player no matter how good he is..

He didn't, but the way the argument is shaping up is that he will play for $100M over 6 years. This would make him the highest paid defensive player.

In my view this is a pipe dream and just the beginning of the negotiation. Nmandi is currently the highest paid CB at $11M, I expect Revis' number to land somewhere in between the $11M and $16M, which is $13.5M. Call it $14M if you want.

We know that he will play for the $16M/$100M, where do you think the numbers will actually land? I'll use your numbers if you prefer.

That's because our run defense sucked. How did we do against Brady?
    Which makes it even more incredible that we are second in pass defense. We played Brady twice and we played Schaub and the Texans.

Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    Actually, it really is Revis for 13.5 and atleast another 1st round pick or Cromartie for 11.5. Given the state of the team, we need more talent. Rather have two good players(at potentially important positions) than just one great one.
    We will get some picks for Cromartie too, and I wouldn't discount a first rounder. Cro is an all pro, healthy and still young, we could get alot for him.

I do agree that we will get more for Revis, and the Jets are in the process now of figuring out how much more.

Regardless one way, or another is we'll have only one of the two going forward not both. I fully agree with you we have too much talent at the CB spot and too little on offense, I just think I'd rather get rid of Cromartie as opposed to Revis.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-26-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    So you want Houston to gut their roster to pay Revis 15 mill 2 years after paying joseph 8.5 mill and drafting a first rd corner last year in kareem jackson.
    If the jets don't want to pay 25 mill for two corners why would the Texans.

Some of these proposed trades don't take any reality into consideration. Trading Revis to a team that is over the cap and just gave a 50mill contract to a CB the same year as drafting one in the 1st rd.
    Hey man, everything here is made up, why can't I make up a dream scenario. I hear that the NE defense is up and coming. That's a myth also.

I could care less what Houston does.