Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I am curious as to whether there is any common ground in terms of numbers.

8 Years, 110 million (60 million guaranteed) ? ? ?

The first five years guaranteed at 12 million a year
    Year six , and year seven, 15 million a year
    Year eight twenty million a year.

Would you sign on if you were the GM of the Jets?
    Do you think Revis would sign it ?
    I have no issue with the totals here. For us I have been saying 7 years 100mil front end loaded. That way if you do draft a QB this year 3 years down the road you can afford to pay him and still keep Revis. We have an advantage where no player on this team should be getting 10+mil a year deal until at least 2015. I'd rather pay him more early then in year 6 and 7. It is not like Cro, Holmes, Harris, and Sanchez will all be on this team making 10+ mil by then. We can cut them to pay Revis next year or the year after and find better talent cheaper.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Exactly.

Dude is worth more to us as trade bait than on the team....at this point.
    depends where his real target in negotiations is. if he really cares about the 16 million, we will find that out and he will be better off traded.

if the 16 m is just a starting negotiating posture, and he comes down to a more realistic range, it is possible that he has a place on the team.

both sides are going to learn alot about themselves in this process.

revis is going to learn more than the jets about himself tho, since the jets seem completely willing to trade his value and go full rebuild.

problem is, as has been said here - rex's system is one of only a handful of systems that allows revis to be revis. the niners are the only team i could even imagine being a realistic trading partner.

IMO that fact alone should bring revis back down to reality...CB contracts are way over real value.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    If I was Revis I would know I'm never seeing year 6..
    I dunno Savage ...five years from now the salary cap might have swelled to where 15 million a year is do'able. I agree he would never see year 8 but it allows him enjoy the glow of the biggest contract with the most guaranteed for a defensive player.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I have no issue with the totals here. For us I have been saying 7 years 100mil front end loaded.
    The problem with Revis, from past experience is that he will hold out again if his contract is front loaded ... you need a clause to stop him from holding out ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I like Revis. I am happy that we have a HOF caliber player on the team. He is undoubtedly the best at his position in the NFL.

Having said that, the best thing for the Jets (and worst for Revis), is the acquisition of Cromartie, and what happened this past season.

The NYJ showed that they can play defense without Revis. Cromartie stepped up as the #1 Corner (if that's what you want to call it). Now Revis has to get a deal from the NYJ, or risk going to another team and play in a different defense, that may not showcase his talents to the level he has in New York (maybe it will, maybe it won't).

Revis is in a bad spot. He could wait for free agency, but other than the Raiders, nobody has given a CB in the league the money ($15 million, take a couple of million depending on guaranteed money) that Revis is seeking. He knows this. He has to get it from the Jets, who know that they don't have to give it to him. Especially that he is starting to display an injury prone nature. Concussion. ACL. What's next?

There aren't as many teams that Revis could land at as reported. NE is out, BUF is out. SEA is stacked at CB. The bargaining is based on knowing the Jets have to trade him.

Jets have the advantage here, but not by much. A 3rd as a compensation pick is all that they will get if they don't trade him now, and Revis knows this as well.

Revis is smarter than he's letting on. He knows that this trade is about business, and good business by the Jets. If he is traded he MUST get a new contract immediately, or risk that his play will not be HOF after the injury.

The Jets are in rebuilding mode, believe it or not. Idzik knows this. Rex, unwillingly knows this. Revis knows this as well. His window for a big contract is closing.
    Just a Great Post. I mean you said what I think and which many out here don't seem to realize. This is business and both sides know this.

Thanks Again!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    How is it greedy? How many million would you give up for the "glory" of working for your current company? We have to be realistic here. With Revis, Cromartie, Landry and Bell we have the opportunity to field a defense that virtually shuts down the long ball. We should be looking for ways to dump holMEs who is not even in the top 50% of recievers and a totally negative influence on the team.
    IMO opinion you are correct!!!

Holmes was another Tannyboy Monstrosity. Please note that Holmes "fans" out here were some of the same folks praising Tanny. The Holmes contract was a mistake as was the Sanchez last contract as far as the timing went.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    The problem with Revis, from past experience is that he will hold out again if his contract is front loaded ... you need a clause to stop him from holding out ...
    I don't think that is true. The new league rules would kill him in a hold out. It is one think if your making a lot less then you can get but if it is a matter of him playing for 10 mil after the age of 30 I highly doubt he holds out. This will be his last big deal and he knows it. He held out once and was getting paid peanuts on his rookie deal. People well over blow that. Tanny handled it bad Revis just wanted what was coming to him. A lot of this he will hold out is all in our heads.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't build a team around a cornerback. Cornerbacks do not lead teams to Super Bowl championships.

The pantry is bare. Let;s use Revis to help restock the shelves faster.

Trade the beast!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You don't build a team around a cornerback. Cornerbacks do not lead teams to Super Bowl championships.

The pantry is bare. Let;s use Revis to help restock the shelves faster.

Trade the beast!
    Realistically, what do you think is a reasonable haul to get for Revis? 1 draft pick, 2, more? Or player & pick combo?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Realistically, what do you think is a reasonable haul to get for Revis? 1 draft pick, 2, more? Or player & pick combo?
    I think you can get a late first round pick for him. For a team that thinks it is close, and thinks they have a decent shot at extending him, I believe it is a reasonable expectation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Or in Tanny's case borrowed one..
    See the real problem is that we have JI posters who are just as skillful as Tanny was a creating a plan for the Jets and that my friend was a big problem.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can get a late first round pick for him. For a team that thinks it is close, and thinks they have a decent shot at extending him, I believe it is a reasonable expectation.
    OK, that's very realistic - thanks for not expecting to get a boat load of picks & players in return.

So my next question is - who is going to be available in the late first round that makes the most sense for us to pick? Are we going to get a real difference maker, or a solid (but not spectacular) starter (e.g. Kyle Wilson, Bryan Thomas). Or do we take a punt on a QB and hope to strike gold?

It just worries me that we give up a known quantity and get a very unknown quantity in return. Hopefully I can get convinced that there is real value in the draft, in case we do end up trading Revis.

(I don't even want to contemplate us getting a complete bust ... ).

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    OK, that's very realistic - thanks for not expecting to get a boat load of picks & players in return.

So my next question is - who is going to be available in the late first round that makes the most sense for us to pick? Are we going to get a real difference maker, or a solid (but not spectacular) starter (e.g. Kyle Wilson, Bryan Thomas). Or do we take a punt on a QB and hope to strike gold?

It just worries me that we give up a known quantity and get a very unknown quantity in return. Hopefully I can get convinced that there is real value in the draft, in case we do end up trading Revis.

(I don't even want to contemplate us getting a complete bust ... ).
    I'm not a draftnik. I only know 2 things about the draft. 1. It's a complete crapshoot. and 2. it is the single most important way to build a successful team.

I also know that the Jets have spent the past few years trading away picks and the result of those decisions has ben obvious. We need to get younger, faster and better. Drafting Kyle Wilson 2.0 is a risk I'm willing to take.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a draftnik. I only know 2 things about the draft. 1. It's a complete crapshoot. and 2. it is the single most important way to build a successful team.

I also know that the Jets have spent the past few years trading away picks and the result of those decisions has ben obvious. We need to get younger, faster and better. Drafting Kyle Wilson 2.0 is a risk I'm willing to take.
    Agree about the crap shoot ... it's why I worry about only getting a single pick in return.

Looking at the various mocks, I see mostly TE, S, OG, LB and DL (where we are pretty well set) in the lower half. An occasional WR, and only 1 RB. No QB's.

I just can't get excited about losing a player like Revis for a TE and some cap room.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    sign the beast.
    For $10M a year, sure. For double that at $100M? No way. Team crippling manouever.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Tanny always felt to me like a fat girl who couldn't believe her luck to be at the prom. He reeked of insecurity and hero-worship (Hard Knocks was a really bad idea for him in particular) which are not very good attributes in a GM. Good riddance.
    True. Tanny wanted headlines. I think Idzik is the opposite. He will avoid them.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Tanny always felt to me like a fat girl who couldn't believe her luck to be at the prom. He reeked of insecurity and hero-worship (Hard Knocks was a really bad idea for him in particular) which are not very good attributes in a GM. Good riddance.
    Great post, nail meet head. That explains a lot of the signings of past their prime stars, or never really were, pseudo stars. Not being able to distinguish between talent and celebrity, and having to take someone else's word that the guy has talent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VINNYT View Post
    he want 60 million guar. give him a 6 year deal at 10 million per
    all guar. no signing bonus. no nothing. helps the cap and he get
    his money. if not see ya mevis
    That would be the dumbest contract in the history of the NFL.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The problem is not that we overpaid Revis. He got fair value or close to it. The problem is that we overpaid schmucko QB for no good reason. Don't let one bad mistake balloon into two. Keep Revis and work around it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I like Revis. I am happy that we have a HOF caliber player on the team. He is undoubtedly the best at his position in the NFL.

Having said that, the best thing for the Jets (and worst for Revis), is the acquisition of Cromartie, and what happened this past season.

The NYJ showed that they can play defense without Revis. Cromartie stepped up as the #1 Corner (if that's what you want to call it). Now Revis has to get a deal from the NYJ, or risk going to another team and play in a different defense, that may not showcase his talents to the level he has in New York (maybe it will, maybe it won't).

Revis is in a bad spot. He could wait for free agency, but other than the Raiders, nobody has given a CB in the league the money ($15 million, take a couple of million depending on guaranteed money) that Revis is seeking. He knows this. He has to get it from the Jets, who know that they don't have to give it to him. Especially that he is starting to display an injury prone nature. Concussion. ACL. What's next?

There aren't as many teams that Revis could land at as reported. NE is out, BUF is out. SEA is stacked at CB. The bargaining is based on knowing the Jets have to trade him.

Jets have the advantage here, but not by much. A 3rd as a compensation pick is all that they will get if they don't trade him now, and Revis knows this as well.

Revis is smarter than he's letting on. He knows that this trade is about business, and good business by the Jets. If he is traded he MUST get a new contract immediately, or risk that his play will not be HOF after the injury.

The Jets are in rebuilding mode, believe it or not. Idzik knows this. Rex, unwillingly knows this. Revis knows this as well. His window for a big contract is closing.
    Disagree on a few points.
    ~Revis' talent will show on any team, in any system. Granted, any team/coaching staff that brings him in and asks him to do something other than cover the opponents' best WR should be relegated to the CFL...

~Revis is in a fine spot. He is going to get paid one way or another, it is just a matter of when and by whom.

~I wouldn't completely rule out NE or Buf. The price will be higher ,maybe significantly, but it doesn't mean one of them won't be willing to pony up.