Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    What's that 30% of what Revis wants??
    You can get Cro and Landry for less money than Revis wants.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Cromartie is much more expensive than Revis currently. Going forward we will pay Cromartie, or Revis, either way it's going to be expensive. If you give me a choice of Revis at $16M, or Cromartie at $14M, I'd keep Revis and trade Cromartie.

Harris' cap hit is the highest on the Jets currently at $13M. Next year we'll get a $5M benefit if he goes.

Sign Revis for the $16M, trade Cromartie at his peak. Cut all the big salaries that haven't been performing this year and next. Don't sign any high priced free agents (aside from Landry) then we can sign Revis and have plenty of money to pay a top flight rookie QB and other players.

Here are the players that need to go this year and next (trade, or cut) and their cap savings:

'13 - Jason Smith (12M), Calvin Pace (8.56M), Bart Scott (7.15M), Sione Pouha (3.833 poss. restructure), Eric Smith (3M).

'14 - Sanchez (8.3M), Holmes (8.25M), Harris (5M), Cromartie (9.5M), Harris (5M), Pouha ($5.5M)
    Good post. It's bizarre myth that we need to salary-cap dump one of the NFL's best players. And for what? To keep overpaid players like Sanchez, Holmes and even Harris?

If the Jets are stupid enough to trade Revis, primarily for financial reasons, they will become an even bigger laughing stock amongst NFL teams. You do all you can to keep great players, you don't salary dump them in their prime in order to keep inferior players.

Trim the obvious fat and, reluctantly, consider moving a guy like Cro whose value will never be higher.

Drafting a QB, even high in the draft, will not cost much in cap terms. With some smart cap management, there will be plenty of money from 2014 on to add more weapons to the O.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You can get Cro and Landry for less money than Revis wants.
    From what little I know, Revis's contract this year is not a big cap hit. So in terms of signing Landry and trading Revis, we'd have to backload Landry's contract? Pretty much kicking the can down the road, so to speak.

lets see what idzik is made of. can he get him signed and happy all at the same time. time will tell.

Jets Insider VIP
    Jets xant keep Cro and Revis. Bad use of the cap. If they decide to re-sign Revis at his big salary demands then theyll have to trade Cro.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    From what little I know, Revis's contract this year is not a big cap hit. So in terms of signing Landry and trading Revis, we'd have to backload Landry's contract? Pretty much kicking the can down the road, so to speak.
    Revis' money for this year in inconsequential. The Jets are going to trade him or sign him to a new deal. If Revis is looking for 16 million per year then he would cost more than Cro and Landry, at least for next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I would do that as long as there was a no renegotiation/holdout clause
    I agree whatever we do let's get the no renog/holdout clause.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Revis' money for this year in inconsequential. The Jets are going to trade him or sign him to a new deal. If Revis is looking for 16 million per year then he would cost more than Cro and Landry, at least for next few seasons.
    That's what I'm saying though, Revis doesn't affect the ability to re-sign Landry this year, its all the other bloated Contracts we have. So say we trade Revis, and re-sign Landry this year, we would still have a high cap number because it's not Revis' contract causing this.
    And because of this we have to backload Landry's contract, which could cause problems for us down the road, for whatever many reasons.

Personally, I think we should see if we can get Revis' number down, and trade Cro and let Landry walk, because quite frankly the guy has had 1 healthy season the past few years and Cro relies more heavily on this athletic ability than Revis and thats the first thing to go with age
    Last edited by bgivs21; 01-26-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    16 million per year.

Now, not all of that will be guaranteed, but it's an amazing figure for a CB.

CB Salaries

Even Namdi is getting 11 this year as part of his "mega" contract.

I DON'T want to give him that big of a contract, because the Jets will never be better than an 8-8 at best due to little ability to sign talent.
    This is very telling.

Revis' agent is going for the highest paid defensive player, but more than likely his contract will be based on highest paid CB. So we're probably looking at $13.5M.

Now, is he greedy, or is he trying to get "fair" value for his play?
    Crazy how some people think isn't it. We've been underpaying him for years relative to his value, but he's the bad guy when he wants to be paid his just due.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    north of 6 years, 96 million. So he's looking for more than 16 million a year. I love how people were sure he'd sign for 12 mil a year. Puuuhhhlease!! Trade him.
    This is a negotiation his agent isn't going to get everything he's asking for. My guess is $13.5M not sure how much guaranteed, but it won't be $50M.

I wrote this in another thread:

If the Jets had the worst secondary in football, keep Revis, but people seem to forget the Jets were #2 versus the pass WITHOUT Revis.

Is that jump to #1 really worth paying him all that money? We have good CBs. Let's get good elsewhere.
    That's because our run defense sucked. How did we do against Brady?

Revis and his Agents act like he has the same effect on a game as a franchise QB or all-pro OLB who puts up 15 sacks a year..... he's great great, but he works on an "island" and only effects what happens on his island, not the rest of the field.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    What a fukcing mess Tannenbaum has gotten ourselves into.

10 year $100 mil, $50 mil guaranteed.

Fair no?
    It's perfect; except for the knee, it looks like Tanny did his job. Revis can't hold out; he can only twist in the wind, speechless as a baby.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 01-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Stop with the Rex caused this. You sai it in your post, Revis held out before Rex. If anything blame the Bills, in the article it says REVIS wants to be paid as the highest defensive player in the NFL and the Bills gave Mo Williams 96 mil.. It has nothing to do with Rex, Woody, or Tanny. Revis is just that good, he knows it and he wants to take advantage of it.
    At the end of the day he'll be paid as the best CB, but best defensive player is a good place to start the negotiation, and $100M is a nice round number.

That's how much credibility this data has currently, it's just the beginning of the negotiation, both side will have to give.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Revis and his Agents act like he has the same effect on a game as a franchise QB or all-pro OLB who puts up 15 sacks a year..... he's great great, but he works on an "island" and only effects what happens on his island, not the rest of the field.
    Revis wants the money to buy his own Island to keep people off of.. Maybe in the South Pacific or the Caribbean..

That's because our run defense sucked. How did we do against Brady?
    Signing Revis will drastically improve the run defense, right?

How many teams shut Brady down? And how do you shut down Brady?

Pass rush.

All Pro
    This is very telling.

Revis' agent is going for the highest paid defensive player, but more than likely his contract will be based on highest paid CB. So we're probably looking at $13.5M.
    I'd sign him for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    Rest assured alot of these players will be approached about restructuring, Idzik has no loyalty to any of them and he will do whats in the best interest of the Jets.

Jason Smith, Bart Scott & Calvin Pace could all potentially be cut if they dont agree to restructure.
    Agreed especially the one's who have limited market value. The point I was making was we have alot of ways we can save against our cap. I believe at the end of the day either Revis, or Cromartie will go. I favor Cromartie going.

Jets Insider VIP
    We must keep Revis at all cost!

We've already seen what happens when he's not on the field! Our pass defense will drastically decline from best in the league to 2nd best in the league!

Good God, man!

How will we cope!

What's the use in acquiring all of these extra resources to fix our dogsh*t offense if we can't watch the best CB in the league every Sunday!?!!?!