Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    +1 alot of posters that are whining today were on board back when.. I remember some crying that Pace would sign with the Fins not us..
    Fans are not the GM. The GM should use his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    That's better.

But, at the time, Harris' play was very good. What's to say that this won't happen when we re-sign Revis after the injury? Probably not, Revis will still be elite, IMO, but look forward from here, not second guess everything. Should we put all this money into one player who is NOT a premium position when we have glaring holes everywhere else, and are already crippled by our salaries?
    And I don't think anyone here believed Harris should be the highest paid ILB in the game. And not to mention, it's one of the easier positions to fill in the draft. You can draft a guy in the mid rounds and he can come right in and start. You just don't pay ILBs or RBs unless they're great.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    By MARK CANNIZZARO
    Last Updated: 9:00 AM, January 26, 2013

This is what stared John Idzik in the face on his first full day at the office as Jets general manager yesterday: a $100 million Darrelle Revis dilemma.

The Jets are running damage control with their best player, whose nose has been bent out of shape by news of the team exploring trade options for him to avoid paying him the mega-contract he’s seeking.

According to someone familiar with his thinking, Revis is seeking a contract similar to or “just north of’’ the deal the Bills gave defensive end Mario Williams — six years, $96 million with $50 million guaranteed. That is the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

The Jets were noncommittal on Revis’ future with the team during Thursday’s press conference to officially introduce Idzik.

Nevertheless, the team was quite committed to exploring its trade options for the cornerback long before he blew out his left knee against the Dolphins in Week 2.

Two NFL sources told The Post yesterday the Jets were floating their interest around the league in trading Revis before he suffered his season-ending injury — a clear indication they have had no plans to sign him to the long-term contract he wants.

One source told The Post that, before the injury, more than one league general manager reached out to Revis’ agents to say the Jets were exploring their options for trading him.

Revis, 27, is due to make $6 million in 2013 — $3 million in base pay and the rest in bonus money — before becoming a free agent at the end of the year, meaning the Jets either re-sign him, trade him or get nothing in return for him if he leaves as a free agent.

A clause in Revis’ contract prohibits the Jets from using a franchise tag on him, protecting the cornerback. There also is clause in it that protects the Jets from a Revis holdout. If Revis holds out before this season, the final three years of the contract will not void, keeping Revis under contract through 2016 at $3 million a year.

Revis’ agents declined comment yesterday.

Revis, reached yesterday through an intermediary at the Phoenix training facility where he is rehabilitating his knee, also declined comment.

Based on the messages Revis sent out on his Twitter account Thursday, saying he was “speechless,’’ it’s clear he is irked by the goings-on.

“He is raw emotionally right now,’’ a source who knows Revis told The Post.

Idzik revealed yesterday in an interview on NBC Sports Network’s “Pro Football Talk” he called Revis after the press conference to clarify the situation — though it appears little has been clarified.

“I reached out to Darrelle and I made sure he knew exactly where we were coming from and that this is my first day on the job, and our message to everyone was, ‘Give us a chance to get to know each other and introduce ourselves to each other,’ ’’ Idzik said on the show.

“Ultimately, that’s the basis of comparison to whatever you may contemplate doing. We haven’t taken that first step and that’s what I relayed to Darrelle.’’

Idzik said Revis “reacted well’’ to his call and added, “My feeling was that he was appreciative to hear from me about what happened.’’

The Jets are currently more than $19 million over the 2013 salary cap and their roster is thin on talent. Idzik made it clear Thursday building the team through the draft was a priority.

Trading Revis, however, would send a strong message the Jets are less concerned with winning now than they are about saving money and fixing their salary-cap mess.

“We can’t lose a guy like him,” fellow cornerback Antonio Cromartie told NFL.com while in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. “He’s a great leader in the locker room and also in our [defensive back] room, making sure that guys are accountable for each other. To lose a guy like that would be huge. And even though he’s coming off the surgery, I believe he’ll come back as strong as ever.”

The fact the Jets were shopping Revis before he was injured is evidence he has not been a part of the team’s long-term plans for a lot longer than the few weeks since the season ended and general manager Mike Tannenbaum was fired.

To trade or not trade Revis and sign him to a huge contract? This was a rather large project sitting on Idzik’s desk on his first day of work.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...owI7BwNng58MAP
    Started a thread 6am this morning saying same thing.........guess no one up then

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Or in Tanny's case borrowed one..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Or in Tanny's case borrowed one..
    What possessed the moron to guarantee Sanchez's contract 2013?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

What possessed the moron to guarantee Sanchez's contract 2013?
    I don't have a clue detective..

All League
    No they are not, problem for any GM though is they have to try and project what a player will be and base that on past performance. Question is does any team have more than a hand full of players on their teams living up to or out prforming (leave rookie contacts out) on their rosters. Tannys problem was that to many high priced players came due at one time. 2 or 3 a GM should be do able to do more than that in back to back years are the problem. Cap was increasing prior to the new CBA issue is last 2 seasons not that much. That is why teams like the Jets who lived on the fringe are in trubble.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    LOL..LOl..LOL....thats not me laughing, its Revis laughing at you.
    Ok you tell me the number then. Regardless Cromartie will be $2M behind him.

And I don't think anyone here believed Harris should be the highest paid ILB in the game. And not to mention, it's one of the easier positions to fill in the draft. You can draft a guy in the mid rounds and he can come right in and start. You just don't pay ILBs or RBs unless they're great.
    I don't agree. Revis is a great player. Winning the Superbowl does not revolve around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentide View Post
    Started a thread 6am this morning saying same thing.........guess no one up then
    My bad..Missed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    You just made the argument for tradeing Revis if his cap number is not a friendly one. You get nothing for the likes of Harris, Sanchez and others but a huge cap hit. For Revis you get relief and the oppertuity to get better through the draft. You could play this out this season and hope for the best or deal him and roll the dice in the draft with more picks. Remember though with more picks you extnd the chance to hit on a player no guarrentee but the chance. Much like N.E. has done.
    No, you don't get rid of Revis if it costs (not saves us) $3M.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-26-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Typo

To all those who are comparing yearly salaries (just on the Jets), do you think that's a yearly figure? Harris makes 3.8 million on one of his years, yet he's put forth here making a billion dollars to make a point.

Use the average for the year to make a point, instead of the highest yearly figure.

Revis' average is 16 for his proposed. That means is 16 per year. Even if it goes down to 13, that's per year. Some years it may be 8, while others 18 or more.

Skewing the statistics to make your point isn't fair.
    We're all concerned about the cap right. Here are the next two years and what players count against the cap and how much they return to us if they're not here.

http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary14.html

That's better.

But, at the time, Harris' play was very good. What's to say that this won't happen when we re-sign Revis after the injury? Probably not, Revis will still be elite, IMO, but look forward from here, not second guess everything. Should we put all this money into one player who is NOT a premium position when we have glaring holes everywhere else, and are already crippled by our salaries?
    No, so get rid of Cromartie, or Harris.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-26-2013 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Trade this mook

Yeah, let's dish out a $100 million contract to a CB when our offense is in total shambles.

Sounds like a winning formula.
    Exactly.

Dude is worth more to us as trade bait than on the team....at this point.

All League
    The argument that it is easy to find a player at any position in the daft is incorrect. The only position I have never heard that argument is at QB. If it were true no player or very few would ever get a second contract much less an extention from their current team.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Exactly.

Dude is worth more to us as trade bait than on the team....at this point.
    We're not shelling out $100M, get over it. Start with the annual cap implications and don't get caught up in the total value of the contract.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    No, you don't get rid of Revis if it costs (not saves us) $3M.
    Revis would be a trade situation. Could you trade Harris or others mentioned with abserd contracts. I belive not. Revis with his current contract is affordable its the next one that creats the issue.

Veteran
    I am curious as to whether there is any common ground in terms of numbers.

8 Years, 110 million (60 million guaranteed) ? ? ?

The first five years guaranteed at 12 million a year
    Year six , and year seven, 15 million a year
    Year eight twenty million a year.

Would you sign on if you were the GM of the Jets?
    Do you think Revis would sign it ?
    Last edited by Gangrene; 01-26-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

If I was Revis I would know I'm never seeing year 6..

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

Yes, I would take that deal, but that's the highest I would go. I wouldn't pay Revis a penny over 12mm annually. After year 5 you could renegotiate, cut or trade a 33 year old Revis.

Revis will not take that deal.