Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

By MARK CANNIZZARO
    Last Updated: 9:00 AM, January 26, 2013

This is what stared John Idzik in the face on his first full day at the office as Jets general manager yesterday: a $100 million Darrelle Revis dilemma.

The Jets are running damage control with their best player, whose nose has been bent out of shape by news of the team exploring trade options for him to avoid paying him the mega-contract he’s seeking.

According to someone familiar with his thinking, Revis is seeking a contract similar to or “just north of’’ the deal the Bills gave defensive end Mario Williams — six years, $96 million with $50 million guaranteed. That is the largest contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

The Jets were noncommittal on Revis’ future with the team during Thursday’s press conference to officially introduce Idzik.

Nevertheless, the team was quite committed to exploring its trade options for the cornerback long before he blew out his left knee against the Dolphins in Week 2.

Two NFL sources told The Post yesterday the Jets were floating their interest around the league in trading Revis before he suffered his season-ending injury — a clear indication they have had no plans to sign him to the long-term contract he wants.

One source told The Post that, before the injury, more than one league general manager reached out to Revis’ agents to say the Jets were exploring their options for trading him.

Revis, 27, is due to make $6 million in 2013 — $3 million in base pay and the rest in bonus money — before becoming a free agent at the end of the year, meaning the Jets either re-sign him, trade him or get nothing in return for him if he leaves as a free agent.

A clause in Revis’ contract prohibits the Jets from using a franchise tag on him, protecting the cornerback. There also is clause in it that protects the Jets from a Revis holdout. If Revis holds out before this season, the final three years of the contract will not void, keeping Revis under contract through 2016 at $3 million a year.

Revis’ agents declined comment yesterday.

Revis, reached yesterday through an intermediary at the Phoenix training facility where he is rehabilitating his knee, also declined comment.

Based on the messages Revis sent out on his Twitter account Thursday, saying he was “speechless,’’ it’s clear he is irked by the goings-on.

“He is raw emotionally right now,’’ a source who knows Revis told The Post.

Idzik revealed yesterday in an interview on NBC Sports Network’s “Pro Football Talk” he called Revis after the press conference to clarify the situation — though it appears little has been clarified.

“I reached out to Darrelle and I made sure he knew exactly where we were coming from and that this is my first day on the job, and our message to everyone was, ‘Give us a chance to get to know each other and introduce ourselves to each other,’ ’’ Idzik said on the show.

“Ultimately, that’s the basis of comparison to whatever you may contemplate doing. We haven’t taken that first step and that’s what I relayed to Darrelle.’’

Idzik said Revis “reacted well’’ to his call and added, “My feeling was that he was appreciative to hear from me about what happened.’’

The Jets are currently more than $19 million over the 2013 salary cap and their roster is thin on talent. Idzik made it clear Thursday building the team through the draft was a priority.

Trading Revis, however, would send a strong message the Jets are less concerned with winning now than they are about saving money and fixing their salary-cap mess.

“We can’t lose a guy like him,” fellow cornerback Antonio Cromartie told NFL.com while in Hawaii for the Pro Bowl. “He’s a great leader in the locker room and also in our [defensive back] room, making sure that guys are accountable for each other. To lose a guy like that would be huge. And even though he’s coming off the surgery, I believe he’ll come back as strong as ever.”

The fact the Jets were shopping Revis before he was injured is evidence he has not been a part of the team’s long-term plans for a lot longer than the few weeks since the season ended and general manager Mike Tannenbaum was fired.

To trade or not trade Revis and sign him to a huge contract? This was a rather large project sitting on Idzik’s desk on his first day of work.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...owI7BwNng58MAP

sign the beast.

Veteran
    That's just the Jet's and our own football luck.
    Planning on trading him for a ransom and he blows out his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    That's just the Jet's and our own football luck.
    Planning on trading him for a ransom and he blows out his knee.
    tanny is and was a jackass.

What a fukcing mess Tannenbaum has gotten ourselves into.

10 year $100 mil, $50 mil guaranteed.

Fair no?

I like Revis. I am happy that we have a HOF caliber player on the team. He is undoubtedly the best at his position in the NFL.

Having said that, the best thing for the Jets (and worst for Revis), is the acquisition of Cromartie, and what happened this past season.

The NYJ showed that they can play defense without Revis. Cromartie stepped up as the #1 Corner (if that's what you want to call it). Now Revis has to get a deal from the NYJ, or risk going to another team and play in a different defense, that may not showcase his talents to the level he has in New York (maybe it will, maybe it won't).

Revis is in a bad spot. He could wait for free agency, but other than the Raiders, nobody has given a CB in the league the money ($15 million, take a couple of million depending on guaranteed money) that Revis is seeking. He knows this. He has to get it from the Jets, who know that they don't have to give it to him. Especially that he is starting to display an injury prone nature. Concussion. ACL. What's next?

There aren't as many teams that Revis could land at as reported. NE is out, BUF is out. SEA is stacked at CB. The bargaining is based on knowing the Jets have to trade him.

Jets have the advantage here, but not by much. A 3rd as a compensation pick is all that they will get if they don't trade him now, and Revis knows this as well.

Revis is smarter than he's letting on. He knows that this trade is about business, and good business by the Jets. If he is traded he MUST get a new contract immediately, or risk that his play will not be HOF after the injury.

The Jets are in rebuilding mode, believe it or not. Idzik knows this. Rex, unwillingly knows this. Revis knows this as well. His window for a big contract is closing.

Its a shame Revis is so darn greedy. Rex didn't help matters by declaring him the best cornerback on the planet. Rex's big mouth has gotten the Jets into plenty of trouble. True Revis staged a holdout even before Rex came along I guess but Rex just feeded the fire.

Jets Insider VIP
    Trade this mook

Yeah, let's dish out a $100 million contract to a CB when our offense is in total shambles.

Sounds like a winning formula.

Wants 6 years - $96M Coming off a knee injury... What does he expect the Jets to do?

Never will be happy and as great of player as he is, he doesn't want to be a Jet as much as he wants to be filthy rich.

Get rid of him for a 1st, draft a pass rusher... Then use some of the money that you saved to re-sign Landry. Then use more on Connor Barwin, who despite having a bad year is still a better pass rusher than Pace/Thomas combined... Will lead to a better defense anyway...

Oh and don't let the door hit you in the ass Revis. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    tanny is and was a jackass.
    How bout what Andrea Cramer just said on NFL network? Tanny asked Revis "who should we get to replace you?," right after he gotinjured...obviously a joke but what an idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    What a fukcing mess Tannenbaum has gotten ourselves into.

10 year $100 mil, $50 mil guaranteed.

Fair no?
    I would do that as long as there was a no renegotiation/holdout clause

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Its a shame Revis is so darn greedy. Rex didn't help matters by declaring him the best cornerback on the planet. Rex's big mouth has gotten the Jets into plenty of trouble. True Revis staged a holdout even before Rex came along I guess but Rex just feeded the fire.
    And if Rex didn't say that no one would have known??

All Pro
    Tanny always felt to me like a fat girl who couldn't believe her luck to be at the prom. He reeked of insecurity and hero-worship (Hard Knocks was a really bad idea for him in particular) which are not very good attributes in a GM. Good riddance.

Hall Of Fame
    I was hoping we would have traded him prior to last season. I knew the sh*t was going to eventually hit the fan with all of Tanny's "genius" contracts and we would be faced with having to part with him.

And I think saying the Jets had no plans of signing Revis to a long-term deal is a bit harsh. The Jets simply can't afford him. I am sure their preference would be to keep him but Revis is not going to make that easy for them. Nobody plans on or wants to get rid of their best player.

This is an impossible situation for Idzik. There are some fans that will never forgive him for this. He is being forced to start off his tenure with something that can basically ruin him before the Jets even play a single game under his watch. Part of the reason why I thought Cohen would get hired was b.c it would have been easy to make him make all of these difficult decisions (with the blessing of Woody) and then fire him once the cap was straightened out and the GM job was more appealing. He would have been an easy scapegoat for Woody and we know Woody loves his scapegoats, just ask Sundquist.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    And if Rex didn't say that no one would have known??
    Maybe Rex should say he's the worst football player on the planet and they we can sign him for a bargain

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post

Wants 6 years - $96M Coming off a knee injury... What does he expect the Jets to do?

Never will be happy and as great of player as he is, he doesn't want to be a Jet as much as he wants to be filthy rich.

Get rid of him for a 1st, draft a pass rusher... Then use some of the money that you saved to re-sign Landry. Then use more on Connor Barwin, who despite having a bad year is still a better pass rusher than Pace/Thomas combined... Will lead to a better defense anyway...

Oh and don't let the door hit you in the ass Revis. Bye.
    16 million per year.

Now, not all of that will be guaranteed, but it's an amazing figure for a CB.

CB Salaries

Even Namdi is getting 11 this year as part of his "mega" contract.

I DON'T want to give him that big of a contract, because the Jets will never be better than an 8-8 at best due to little ability to sign talent.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    How bout what Andrea Cramer just said on NFL network? Tanny asked Revis "who should we get to replace you?," right after he gotinjured...obviously a joke but what an idiot
    Is it just me or did Tanny's actions here and on hard knocks leave you with the impression that he thinks he is bullet proof? The more I hear about this guy, the more I wish we would of gotten rid if his ass sooner than we did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I would do that as long as there was a no renegotiation/holdout clause
    Would that stop him?

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Is it just me or did Tanny's actions here and on hard knocks leave you with the impression that he thinks he is bullet proof? The more I hear about this guy, the more I wish we would of gotten rid if his ass sooner than we did.
    Agreed, him and Rex developed this arrogance that was very premature, neither of them have ever won a division title let alone anything else

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Would that stop him?
    lol, of course not and he would never accept 10 mil a year anyway, the greedy SOB