Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 207

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

  1. #141
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Also remember that Cro relies on his freakish athleticism - once that fades I don't expect Cromartie to be nearly as effective. Revis doesn't have the blazing speed or agility, he just positions himself and works off technique, something that will have way more longevity than Cro's game.
    GREAT point...

  2. #142
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,788
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    You're comparing two upper level starters with one lower level starter and one low level backup. Of course the two starters are going to earn more combined in that case.
    I knew that..

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I absolutely agree but in my opinion Cromartie is the guy you trade as his value is not only at an all time high but also because he does not nearly have the same presence on the game and the team as Revis. Think about it how many special special defensive players the two Super Bowl teams have. Not only from a talent standpoint but also from their aura and effect on the others. Lewis, Reed of course and Willis and Justin Smith. You also got other guys in there as Ngata, Pollard or Whitner who just make the rest of the team so much better. Those guys in the end are the difference in my opinion for a great defense or just a very good one. Special players make the defense. Revis is clearly in that category, maybe not as a vocal leader but from his entire effect on the rest of the team.
    The Ravens have THREE former DPOY on the roster -- Lewis, Reed, Suggs -- and Haloti Ngata. You pay the studs and plug in the pieces around them. You don't trade Revis for some draft pick who may or may not be good.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Don't forget that David Harris is counting $13M against the cap this season. Based on his play, he's worth about $7-8 but people aren't burning down Florham Park for that - only for Revis, who is the best player on our roster by a landslide.
    Agreed. The only reason we're not focussed on Harris I think is because his "if cut" cap savings is -$500K. However next year he gives us a $5M benefit.

  5. #145
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,788
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The Ravens have THREE former DPOY on the roster -- Lewis, Reed, Suggs -- and Haloti Ngata. You pay the studs and plug in the pieces around them. You don't trade Revis for some draft pick who may or may not be good.
    Lewis,Reed,Suggs or Ngata don't have the contracts that Revis wants.. Mario Williams and Megatron do..

  6. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Lewis,Reed,Suggs or Ngata don't have the contracts that Revis wants.. Mario Williams and Megatron do..
    not to mention, none of these guys tore an acl either when they got their contracts, i think.

  7. #147
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Thank you MC. It's refreshing to have someone here who actually thinks as opposed to just reacting out of hatred and prejudice. Boo Hoo Hoo, Revis held out, he's a greedy bastard.

    The main question here is Revis for $13.5, or Cromartie for $11.5. Pick one.
    LOL..LOl..LOL....thats not me laughing, its Revis laughing at you.

  8. #148
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Don't forget that David Harris is counting $13M against the cap this season. Based on his play, he's worth about $7-8 but people aren't burning down Florham Park for that - only for Revis, who is the best player on our roster by a landslide.
    You just made the argument for tradeing Revis if his cap number is not a friendly one. You get nothing for the likes of Harris, Sanchez and others but a huge cap hit. For Revis you get relief and the oppertuity to get better through the draft. You could play this out this season and hope for the best or deal him and roll the dice in the draft with more picks. Remember though with more picks you extnd the chance to hit on a player no guarrentee but the chance. Much like N.E. has done.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    not to mention, none of these guys tore an acl either when they got their contracts, i think.
    Antonio Cromartie tore his ACL, too. How's that working out? Adrian Peterson? Guys come back 100% from ACL injuries.

  10. #150
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,788
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Antonio Cromartie tore his ACL, too. How's that working out? Adrian Peterson? Guys come back 100% from ACL injuries.
    Imagine if Namath and others had the surgery that exists today.. I think Revis comes back just as good as he was..

  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Lewis,Reed,Suggs or Ngata don't have the contracts that Revis wants.. Mario Williams and Megatron do..
    Lewis and Reed are all-time greats. Suggs and Ngata are good. CB is more important than safety and it's much harder to find a stud CB than LB. Only the Jets would be dumb enough to trade Revis.

  12. #152
    To all those who are comparing yearly salaries (just on the Jets), do you think that's a yearly figure? Harris makes 3.8 million on one of his years, yet he's put forth here making a billion dollars to make a point.

    Use the average for the year to make a point, instead of the highest yearly figure.

    Revis' average is 16 for his proposed. That means is 16 per year. Even if it goes down to 13, that's per year. Some years it may be 8, while others 18 or more.

    Skewing the statistics to make your point isn't fair.

  13. #153
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Imagine if Namath and others had the surgery that exists today.. I think Revis comes back just as good as he was..
    No doubt. The injury isn't a big deal. He probably won't be 100% until the end of the 2013 season, though.

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    To all those who are comparing yearly salaries (just on the Jets), do you think that's a yearly figure? Harris makes 3.8 million on one of his years, yet he's put forth here making a billion dollars to make a point.

    Use the average for the year to make a point, instead of the highest yearly figure.

    Revis' average is 16 for his proposed. That means is 16 per year. Even if it goes down to 13, that's per year. Some years it may be 8, while others 18 or more.

    Skewing the statistics to make your point isn't fair.
    Smart move to make David Harris the highest paid ILB in the game?

    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...6-million-deal

    Ridiculous.

  15. #155
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The Ravens have THREE former DPOY on the roster -- Lewis, Reed, Suggs -- and Haloti Ngata. You pay the studs and plug in the pieces around them. You don't trade Revis for some draft pick who may or may not be good.
    As I recall all 4 were drafted by Balt. Key is to make the right pick in the right year. Draft is a crapshoot and almost every team has more misses than hits over the long hall. If this was not the case the Pro-Bowl roster would have to be 150 players deep.

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Smart move to make David Harris the highest paid ILB in the game?

    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...6-million-deal

    Ridiculous.
    That's better.

    But, at the time, Harris' play was very good. What's to say that this won't happen when we re-sign Revis after the injury? Probably not, Revis will still be elite, IMO, but look forward from here, not second guess everything. Should we put all this money into one player who is NOT a premium position when we have glaring holes everywhere else, and are already crippled by our salaries?

  17. #157
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Boca Raton Fl.
    Posts
    2,618
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Smart move to make David Harris the highest paid ILB in the game?

    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...6-million-deal

    Ridiculous.
    Not saying you but at the time of the Harris contract comeing up many on this board compared Harris to Willis in San Fran. Sorry fan's you can't have it both ways. Harris deal has not worked but we can not re-write history. Jets did not sigh Marty Mcfly as a GM

  18. #158
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Bocajetfan68 View Post
    Not saying you but at the time of the Harris contract comeing up many on this board compared Harris to Willis in San Fran. Sorry fan's you can't have it both ways. Harris deal has not worked but we can not re-write history. Jets did not sigh Marty Mcfly as a GM
    +1 alot of posters that are whining today were on board back when.. I remember some crying that Pace would sign with the Fins not us..

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    That's better.

    But, at the time, Harris' play was very good. What's to say that this won't happen when we re-sign Revis after the injury? Probably not, Revis will still be elite, IMO, but look forward from here, not second guess everything. Should we put all this money into one player who is NOT a premium position when we have glaring holes everywhere else, and are already crippled by our salaries?
    It is a premium position. Beyond that, yes, you should build your team around great players. Baltimore stripped down that roster many times, but always kept those four guys. As long as you don't pay mediocre players, it works. Again, the cap issues aren't because of Cromartie and Revis. Those guys bring in week in and week out. The problems arise when you're paying guys like Santonio Holmes and David Harris. You CANNOT tie your resources up like that.

  20. #160
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,290
    The problem is that you cannot keep all of your players. We tried to keep our entire core (Brick, Mangold, Revis and Harris) while paying them all handsomely. In hindsight paying Harris might have cost us Revis. I think part of the reason Tanny gave Revis a front-loaded "band aid" contract was so we would have room for Harris. That was a mistake.

    You have to build through the draft but you also have to replenish through the draft. You have to let some of the guys you draft go. We tried to keep them all and it will end up costing us our best chip.

    You can't keep them all AND pay them all top dollar.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us