Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: CANNIZZARO: Revis seeks mega-deal, but Jets talked trade before ACL injury

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Those of you that believe Revis was "speechless" because he wants to retire a Jet are nuts.

This guy was speechless because he couldn't believe someone had the nerve to actually consider not paying him a $100 million/6 year deal. As if he was entitled to it and the Jets would just do it without batting an eyelash.
    Agreed, just like how he said he feels sorry for Jet Nation...save it, Reev

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I wrote this in another thread:

If the Jets had the worst secondary in football, keep Revis, but people seem to forget the Jets were #2 versus the pass WITHOUT Revis.

Is that jump to #1 really worth paying him all that money? We have good CBs. Let's get good elsewhere.
    First off that stat is misleading, how many times (and its been complained about by a lot of ji posters) have we seen this defense give up big 3rd down passing plays??

And secondly, if we're using this stat as a measurement to not keep Revis, we have to understand that Landry and Bell played a huge part for this defense and both will not be returning next year.

I'm on the fence. I think keeping Revis puts our defense over the top but we do need more depth and skill position players on offense...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I think there was definitely a negotiation going on that didn't go we'll, that's why we're hearing all this BS, They're both trying to win the battle of public opinion
    Just my opinion but Revis can not win this battle. Wanting anything more than a cap friendly deal paints him as selfish, as fans look at their roster and see so many needs.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Revis. I am happy that we have a HOF caliber player on the team. He is undoubtedly the best at his position in the NFL.

Having said that, the best thing for the Jets (and worst for Revis), is the acquisition of Cromartie, and what happened this past season.

The NYJ showed that they can play defense without Revis. Cromartie stepped up as the #1 Corner (if that's what you want to call it). Now Revis has to get a deal from the NYJ, or risk going to another team and play in a different defense, that may not showcase his talents to the level he has in New York (maybe it will, maybe it won't).

Revis is in a bad spot. He could wait for free agency, but other than the Raiders, nobody has given a CB in the league the money ($15 million, take a couple of million depending on guaranteed money) that Revis is seeking. He knows this. He has to get it from the Jets, who know that they don't have to give it to him. Especially that he is starting to display an injury prone nature. Concussion. ACL. What's next?

There aren't as many teams that Revis could land at as reported. NE is out, BUF is out. SEA is stacked at CB. The bargaining is based on knowing the Jets have to trade him.

Jets have the advantage here, but not by much. A 3rd as a compensation pick is all that they will get if they don't trade him now, and Revis knows this as well.

Revis is smarter than he's letting on. He knows that this trade is about business, and good business by the Jets. If he is traded he MUST get a new contract immediately, or risk that his play will not be HOF after the injury.

The Jets are in rebuilding mode, believe it or not. Idzik knows this. Rex, unwillingly knows this. Revis knows this as well. His window for a big contract is closing.
    Cromartie is much more expensive than Revis currently. Going forward we will pay Cromartie, or Revis, either way it's going to be expensive. If you give me a choice of Revis at $16M, or Cromartie at $14M, I'd keep Revis and trade Cromartie.

Harris' cap hit is the highest on the Jets currently at $13M. Next year we'll get a $5M benefit if he goes.

Sign Revis for the $16M, trade Cromartie at his peak. Cut all the big salaries that haven't been performing this year and next. Don't sign any high priced free agents (aside from Landry) then we can sign Revis and have plenty of money to pay a top flight rookie QB and other players.

Here are the players that need to go this year and next (trade, or cut) and their cap savings:

'13 - Jason Smith (12M), Calvin Pace (8.56M), Bart Scott (7.15M), Sione Pouha (3.833 poss. restructure), Eric Smith (3M).

'14 - Sanchez (8.3M), Holmes (8.25M), Harris (5M), Cromartie (9.5M), Harris (5M), Pouha ($5.5M)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Imagine bolstering the team with a high pick, a 3rd round pick and an existing player. The defense would be intact.

Honestly, I am eyeing a trade with Houston. 2012 2nd,4th, 2013 1st and Brooks Reed or Connor Barth (injured player - pass rusher for injured player (Revis).
    Sounds good to me

I also prefer getting an extra 1st rounder next year as opposed to this year.

If we don't take a QB high this year, it should give us the ammo to move up for someone like Bridgewater or Manziel next year, if need be.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    Cromartie is much more expensive than Revis currently. Going forward we will pay Cromartie, or Revis, either way it's going to be expensive. If you give me a choice of Revis at $16M, or Cromartie at $14M, I'd keep Revis and trade Cromartie.

Harris' cap hit is the highest on the Jets currently at $13M. Next year we'll get a $5M benefit if he goes.

Sign Revis for the $16M, trade Cromartie at his peak. Cut all the big salaries that haven't been performing this year and next. Don't sign any high priced free agents (aside from Landry) then we can sign Revis and have plenty of money to pay a top flight rookie QB and other players.

Here are the players that need to go this year and next (trade, or cut) and their cap savings:

'13 - Jason Smith (12M), Calvin Pace (8.56M), Cromartie (1.25M), Bart Scott (7.15M), Sione Pouha (3.833 poss. restructure), Eric Smith (3M).

'14 - Sanchez (8.3M), Holmes (8.25M), Harris (5M), Cromartie (9.5M), Harris (5M), Pouha ($5.5M)
    Rest assured alot of these players will be approached about restructuring, Idzik has no loyalty to any of them and he will do whats in the best interest of the Jets.

Jason Smith, Bart Scott & Calvin Pace could all potentially be cut if they dont agree to restructure.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    First off that stat is misleading, how many times (and its been complained about by a lot of ji posters) have we seen this defense give up big 3rd down passing plays??

And secondly, if we're using this stat as a measurement to not keep Revis, we have to understand that Landry and Bell played a huge part for this defense and both will not be returning next year.

I'm on the fence. I think keeping Revis puts our defense over the top but we do need more depth and skill position players on offense...
    You can debate it all you want. Fact is, with a better defense the team's record isn't going to change. Where are all the offensive players?

Defense is at a high level, even without Revis. Use him and get offensive players. We need offensive players badly. QB, OL, RB, TE - practically the entire offense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Our defense was giving up 3rd down conversions even when Revis was on the field. It's been an ongoing problem for this defense for a few years now and Rex needs to pull his head out of his ass and correct it.

And no, Revis doesn't put this defense over the top.

Even on his greatest of days he still only takes away one player.

So what happens if you go up against someone like Green Bay or Atlanta that has a host of offensive weapons?

Take away Jennings and Rodgers will still toast your ass with Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Finley, etc.

Take away Julio Jones and Matt Ryan will still burn you with White, Gonzalez, Douglas, etc.

What will put this defense over the top is an elite passrusher. A guy who can disrupt an entire offensive gameplan. Not just eliminate one player.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can debate it all you want. Fact is, with a better defense the team's record isn't going to change. Where are all the offensive players?

Defense is at a high level, even without Revis. Use him and get offensive players. We need offensive players badly. QB, OL, RB, TE - practically the entire offense.
    Like I said in my post, the defense gave up plenty of long 3rd down passing plays. And we are losing bell and Landry, so our defense will now also need a lot of new players. Ilb, Olb(granted its been a need for a long time), safety, Nt, and soon a #1 cb to replace Cro.

I don't think there's a short term fix, especially at Qb. Greene on the cheap is serviceable and Ol depth is easily had.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like I said in my post, the defense gave up plenty of long 3rd down passing plays. And we are losing bell and Landry, so our defense will now also need a lot of new players. Ilb, Olb(granted its been a need for a long time), safety, Nt, and soon a #1 cb to replace Cro.

I don't think there's a short term fix, especially at Qb. Greene on the cheap is serviceable and Ol depth is easily had.
    We're not losing Landry. We trade Revis he will be resigned for sure.

Listen, I love Revis too, but he's not a QB. I'm tired of losing to NE, and having Revis on the field doesn't change that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't understand how some of you guys would rather pay Revis Mario Williams money and watch the best CB on the planet w/o a QB, pass rush, or playmakers on offense, rather than trade him and let Idzik build this team into a contender. It's an SOJF mentality IMO.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Our defense was giving up 3rd down conversions even when Revis was on the field. It's been an ongoing problem for this defense for a few years now and Rex needs to pull his head out of his ass and correct it.

So what happens if you go up against someone like Green Bay or Atlanta that has a host of offensive weapons?

Take away Jennings and Rodgers will still toast your ass with Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Finley, etc.

Take away Julio Jones and Matt Ryan will still burn you with White, Gonzalez, Douglas, etc.

What will put this defense over the top is an elite passrusher. A guy who can disrupt an entire offensive gameplan. Not just eliminate one player.
    Even a great ILB like a Bowman or Willis would have more impact than Revis on this team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually if the QB is hit hard enough he may be eliminated all together..

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Elite pass rushers are taken out of playoff games more times than naught. JJ Watt was ineffective against the Pats twice this year. The best pass rusher in the game, and what happened? Tom Brady scorched the sh*tty texans secondary..

And the reason why they have given up big plays with Revis? No dominant safety. That's what Landry was susposed to be, our answer to TE's scorching us over the middle on 3rd downs, and hey he was veryq effective against TE this year..

Hypithetical, if we did play the Falcons. White, Jones, and Gonzo vs Revis, Cro, and Landry. Who would you take? I'm going with our D

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We're not losing Landry. We trade Revis he will be resigned for sure.

Listen, I love Revis too, but he's not a QB. I'm tired of losing to NE, and having Revis on the field doesn't change that.
    How can we afford Landry? From my understanding he's goin to want top money that we can't afford this year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wrote this in another thread:

If the Jets had the worst secondary in football, keep Revis, but people seem to forget the Jets were #2 versus the pass WITHOUT Revis.

Is that jump to #1 really worth paying him all that money? We have good CBs. Let's get good elsewhere.
    I get the general thinking, but the Jets schedule probably inflated the Jets pass defense this year. The Jets played 11 games this year against the bottom third passing offenses.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Elite pass rushers are taken out of playoff games more times than naught. JJ Watt was ineffective against the Pats twice this year. The best pass rusher in the game, and what happened? Tom Brady scorched the sh*tty texans secondary..

And the reason why they have given up big plays with Revis? No dominant safety. That's what Landry was susposed to be, our answer to TE's scorching us over the middle on 3rd downs, and hey he was veryq effective against TE this year..

Hypithetical, if we did play the Falcons. White, Jones, and Gonzo vs Revis, Cro, and Landry. Who would you take? I'm going with our D
    The problem is that the Jets can not afford that secondary. Not many teams could afford that much money in their secondary.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are way too many reasons for trading Revis than against.

1. Jets were fine without him on defense in fact they led the league in completions given up and were second in yardage given up.
    2. He is coming off a season ending injury.
    3. He is demanding a huge salary increase which is not something the Jets can even imagine right now.
    4. The Jets can trade him now and get at least a first round pick if not more vs. keeping him one more and then losing him to free agency and getting maybe a 3rd or 4th for compensation in 2014.
    5. He is approaching 28 which is not young for a football player.

The Jets have way to many holes to fill to even justify paying a CB that kind of money. As good as Revis is or was before his injury he cannot score enough points or prevent enough to make this team a winner at this point. Idzik could make a big improvement on the teams cap situation as well as the future with just one big move here with Revis. I say go for it and trade him to the highest bidder out of our division! Like the saying goes it's a business so why not sell high and buy low!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can we afford Landry? From my understanding he's goin to want top money that we can't afford this year
    They could easily afford Landry if Revis is gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    What's that 30% of what Revis wants??