Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 108

Thread: Free Agent Bargain Bin

  1. #41
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    LMAO. Thanks for posting that article. The NE trolls like to play with facts that suit their biased arguments -- i.e., Ne is great everyone else stinks.

    Another year has passed and no trophy up in Boston. If they win next year, a big if, it will be a decade since they last captured the Lombardi, and without the help of filiming the other teams to gain a competitive advantage.

    Also, notice the only player on NE worth restructuring counts a whopping $22 million against their cap the next 2 seasons. A staggering figure. Better hope he doesn't get injured or skills diminish real fast.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Get lost troll, every team does it


    Sure every team restructures contracts.

    But the majority of the teams do not restructure like the Jets where the player benefits more than the team.

  3. #43
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    LMAO. Thanks for posting that article. The NE trolls like to play with facts that suit their biased arguments -- i.e., Ne is great everyone else stinks.

    Another year has passed and no trophy up in Boston. If they win next year, a big if, it will be a decade since they last captured the Lombardi, and without the help of filiming the other teams to gain a competitive advantage.

    Also, notice the only player on NE worth restructuring counts a whopping $22 million against their cap the next 2 seasons. A staggering figure. Better hope he doesn't get injured or skills diminish real fast.
    We wish we had some of their success, be real bro...we cite our AFC championship games as a badge of honor...they lost to the luckiest franchise known as the giants in two recent superbowls ?....mmmm green kool aid taste good

  4. #44
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Cocoa,FL
    Posts
    2,114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    No more USC QB's.....
    Amen brother Arod!

  5. #45
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    We wish we had some of their success, be real bro...we cite our AFC championship games as a badge of honor...they lost to the luckiest franchise known as the giants in two recent superbowls ?....mmmm green kool aid taste good
    You don't speak for me; speak for yourself! Their success/tainted championships is due to Spygate -- the worst cheating scandal in professional sports history. That's the badge of honor NE owns.

  6. #46
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Yes I feel the Jets can be competitive next year with these moves. These JETS players that will be waived or not resigned can be replaced with upgrades or players of equal quality.

    Lets take for example the players that will be waived in my scenario.
    Jason Smith ----12m backup TE/OT
    Bart Scott ---- Aging player that can only stop the run. If you watched the games last year he played in less than 50% of snaps
    Calvin Pace------ decent year last year but also aging player that can be replaced with younger just as productive player for less
    Tim Tebow---- backup wildcat QB....no comment here we all know he can be replaced and should be replaced
    Siouha Pouha---- good DT but injuries caused him to miss most of season last year....he had little or no impact last year.

    Now the players who will not be resigned
    Dustin Keller TE--- good receiving TE but not worth the money he will command in free agency plus was injured most of last season and was also a non factor
    Brandon Moore G-----probably the best player of all our unrestricted free agents but with him getting up in age I feel and our limited funds we should let him walk
    Laron Landry S--- I watched every game last year and he was all over the field every game. He will be a big loss next year but the safety position is not a premium position and can be easily replaced in free agency with Corey Lynch
    Yeremiah Bell S---see above
    Mike Devito---- good run stuffing DT that we will replace in draft with Kirwinn Short of Purdue.....this will be an upgrade
    Shonn Greene RB-----limited power back who will easily be replaced with Stepfan Taylor in draft......upgrade

    So now lets look at some of the signings and draft picks I suggested

    Matt Moore > Sanchez-----from watching every game last year Sanchez was the number 1 issue of this team. His 20 plus turnovers put us behind in most games last year. if Matt Moore comes in and has stats like 3000 yds passing with 18 td and 12 int and just 15 turnovers this could mean the difference of 2-3 wins next year.
    Eric Fisher> Aaron Howard-----1st round pick out of W. Michigan is a Joe Staley clone and would be a major upgrade of jets oline
    Donald Thomas G> Matt Slauson----slauson isnt much of a loss we all know that but D Thomas would be a small upgrade at minimum cost.
    Dirwann Short> Mike dEvito-----devito was solid but Short has major upside and can step right in an start.
    Javon Ringer, Stepfan Taylor> Shon Greene-----these two RB fit the west coast offense as pass catching RB who are shifty
    Cory Lynch> Yeremiah Bell-----Lynch stepped in last year and had a solid year with 4 picks
    Larry Grant> Bart Scott-----scott is done anything here would be an upgrade but Grant filled in when Willis went down and the 49ers didnt miss a step last year.
    But where are you getting that money to sign those guys. Moore is going to want at least 3mill min. The pats are already paying Thomas 2 mill, so if you want him to jump to the jets, your going to have to pay more. (plus figure the 100,000 he made for 2 playoff games) Figure Corey lynch at at least the same as Gregory last year 3 mill. figure at least 2 more for Grant. that is 10 mill for FA that you don't have.

    Right now the jets have 32 players on the 53 man roster, your adding 8 rookies so that is 40 players. Your signing 6 FA so now your at 46 you still have to sign 7 more guys at min which is 500,000 per so that is another 3.5 mill.

    But what we both forgot was that the jets will carry over about 3 mill from this year. So you had 4 mill to spend after the rookies.

  7. #47
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would look at Antwan Barnes for cheap, lower tier Pass rushing help. Jets pursued him two years ago but he decided to re-sign in SD.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    We wish we had some of their success, be real bro...we cite our AFC championship games as a badge of honor...they lost to the luckiest franchise known as the giants in two recent superbowls ?....mmmm green kool aid taste good
    You get it, most Jets fans don't.

  9. #49
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,793
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You get it, most Jets fans don't.
    Thank god you are here to shed light on all of us.

  10. #50
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    You don't speak for me; speak for yourself! Their success/tainted championships is due to Spygate -- the worst cheating scandal in professional sports history. That's the badge of honor NE owns.
    I wish we had their 4 division championships since spygate,,,jus sayin'

  11. #51
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    LMAO. Thanks for posting that article. The NE trolls like to play with facts that suit their biased arguments -- i.e., Ne is great everyone else stinks.

    Another year has passed and no trophy up in Boston. If they win next year, a big if, it will be a decade since they last captured the Lombardi, and without the help of filiming the other teams to gain a competitive advantage.

    Also, notice the only player on NE worth restructuring counts a whopping $22 million against their cap the next 2 seasons. A staggering figure. Better hope he doesn't get injured or skills diminish real fast.
    And another year passed for the jets, this time without a winning record, their over the cap, the worse qb in the league has a cap hit of 13 mill, 17 players who seen significant time are FA or likely cuts,

    Gee we better hope Brady does not get injured- what the hell does that mean? What playoff team can survive their QB going down?

    All teams restructure salaries, no one ever said the pat's don't. The pats made some room to sign some players to remain competitive. What the poster
    wanted to was to push harris and Dbricks contract money further back. As i said previously most jet fans don't think harris is worth the 10 mill he is getting now and you want to make it harder to cut him when he is older? What if a new HC comes in and puts in a 4-3, your now paying 10 mill a year for a 2 down run stuffer that will have to get off the field in passing.
    situations. Dbrick is another player whose skills a lot of jet fans feel have diminished. Why make it harder to cut him down the road?

    The easiest thing to do would be to extend Cro 2 more years convert his salary and roster bonus to a SB and that will save over 5 mill, then convert mangolds 3 mill roster bonus to a SB and that will give you another 2.4 mill.
    Now there is 7 mill that is a hell of a lot less risky that reworking harris and Dbrick.

  12. #52
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Donald Thomas at 700k salary as well as Corey Lynch. Ringer was $560k,Grant 1.2mil, moore $2.5mil, junior galette 500k and donnie avery at 615k No one knows how negotiations are going to go as far as contracts. I did some research of some 2012 Free Agents who fit the mold of what the Jets need to sign this year. You can restructure some contracts to save that money with Sanchez,Holes and Cromartie possibly coming of the books next year fro a 27million in savings. This is how the NFL is structered as of today. All teams do it. I just dont see the Jets taking a dive next year with Rex Ryans job on the line so im trying to come up with a reasonable solution for next seasons roster.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    There is the correct answer.

    Renegotiating contracts is what got the Jets in the mess they are today.
    It can totally make sense to do so under the right circumstances. To do so so that the jets can afford some bargain free agents is not the right move.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we pick a tackle (or QB) at 9 I'll be enraged.

  15. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I wish we had their 4 division championships since spygate,,,jus sayin'
    I'll bet you would.

    The Jets have 2 Division Champioships in their entire existence.

  16. #56
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I'll bet you would.

    The Jets have 2 Division Champioships in their entire existence.
    Do you think I don't know that? thanks, now let me go cry

  17. #57
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    You don't speak for me; speak for yourself! Their success/tainted championships is due to Spygate -- the worst cheating scandal in professional sports history. That's the badge of honor NE owns.
    Drink your green kool aid bro...yea they cheat...we rule

  18. #58
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    34,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    We wish we had some of their success, be real bro...we cite our AFC championship games as a badge of honor...they lost to the luckiest franchise known as the giants in two recent superbowls ?....mmmm green kool aid taste good
    I agree with this about 90%. The Pats have won and won a lot, no denying that. Any objective fan has to sit back and give credit where it is do. But, in hindsight, people will realize that Tom Brady was singlehandedly more responsible for his team's success than just about any player in NFL history. I hate Brady, but I respect his talent and his drive to win (not his being whiny or complaining to officials). The fact is that never has a guy done more with less in the biggest spots. People think that Peyton Manning was great with the Colts, but he had some talent...Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, etc. Tom Brady made Deion Branch into a Super Bowl MVP for cryin' outloud. The one or two times he did have great talent (Randy Moss) he blew the lid off most big QB records and went undefeated in a regular season.

    So yes, of course we should wish we had the kind of success the Pats have had, but THEY are the ones who got lucky with the greatest 6th round pick in history.

    The day Brady goes is the day Belichick runs into retirement thanking the football gods that his true mediocrity as a coach remained mostly hidden.

  19. #59
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    phoenix via orlando via nyc
    Posts
    427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I agree with this about 90%. The Pats have won and won a lot, no denying that. Any objective fan has to sit back and give credit where it is do. But, in hindsight, people will realize that Tom Brady was singlehandedly more responsible for his team's success than just about any player in NFL history. I hate Brady, but I respect his talent and his drive to win (not his being whiny or complaining to officials). The fact is that never has a guy done more with less in the biggest spots. People think that Peyton Manning was great with the Colts, but he had some talent...Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, etc. Tom Brady made Deion Branch into a Super Bowl MVP for cryin' outloud. The one or two times he did have great talent (Randy Moss) he blew the lid off most big QB records and went undefeated in a regular season.

    So yes, of course we should wish we had the kind of success the Pats have had, but THEY are the ones who got lucky with the greatest 6th round pick in history.

    The day Brady goes is the day Belichick runs into retirement thanking the football gods that his true mediocrity as a coach remained mostly hidden.
    AMEN

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I wish we had their 4 division championships since spygate,,,jus sayin'
    So much for NE success since Spygate:

    Failed BIG TIME in SB 5 years ago during undefeated season. 18-1. One of the biggest upsets in all of sports history.

    Failed at home against Ravens -- blown out in wildcard round.

    Failed at home against Jets -- decisive lost after a 14-2 season and blowing out the Jets at home the month before.

    Failed in Superbowl again against underdog Giants.

    Failed big time at home as a double digit favorite in AFCG against the Ravens.

    Pre Spygate 3 Titles; Post Spygate, 0 ttiles.

    just saying......

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us