Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Bargain Bin

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Obviously to sign some of these guys others will have to be cut like

Jason Smith $12m cap savings
    Calvin Pace 8.5m
    Bart Scott 7m
    Eric Smith 3m
    Tim Tebow 1.5m
    Sioha Pouha 3.5m

Thats 35 million in cap savings without looking at what a Revis trade could save us. It was said we were 18m over the cap coming into the season so that leaves us with about 17m plus Revis money if he is dealt to spend on bargain bin free agents to build this team . Last year with a decent QB we would of had atleast 2 more WINS putting us at 9-7. All the players listed above contributed nothing or little at all last year for the JETS so there loss wont hurt the team at all. Lets get rid of the dead weight pick up some additional draft picks and build this team from the ground up.

Here is my scenario for Jets

Trade Revis for a #1 and a 2014 conditional 3rd or 2nd round pick depending on playing time next year .

Waive Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, C. Pace, S. Pouha, B. Scott 35m cap savings

Sign RFA A. Howard OT, J Cumberland TE

Sign
    M. Moore QB
    C. Lynch Safety
    Daniel Thomas Guard
    Larry Grant MLB
    Javon Ringer RB
    Donnie Avery WR

Draft
    Round#1 Eric Fisher OT W. Michigan
    Round #1 (Revis Trade) Kuwann Short DT Purdue
    Round#2 Zach Ertz TE Stanford
    Round #3 Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford
    Round #4 Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    Roundv#5 Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State
    Roundv#6 Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
    Round #7 Quinn Sharp Kicker Oklahoma State
    I like it ... maybe I would try and find another developmental guard instead of a kicker in the 7th round ... rookie kickers seem to be such a crap shoot , (most of them seem to need a few years seasoning to be consistent)... but then again so are guards in the seventh round

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I actually think Smith wants a lot more than $6 - I was just putting a minimum number out there. And as far as Buffalo - their own GM came out and said that they plan on drafting a QB. He didn't say 'when' but after yesterday's performance I could easily see it being at #8.

I agree Fitz isn't that bad - I don't really understand a lot of the moves the bills make - from Brad Smith to Mo Williams.
    Well since Fitz is the only QB on the roster, It would not be earth shattering to say his is going to draft one. Geno Smith is the only guy worth of being taken that high and that to me is stretching it. but if Locker can go top ten, Smith could also. I believe there is going to be a FA domino event. Smith to the Cards,
    Kolb to the Chiefs, Moore to Jacksonville and Campbell to the jets. Besides Smith this will have all the qb falling to the end of the first early 2nd where there will be lots of trade movement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Pace 8.5m
    Bart Scott 7m
    Eric Smith 3m
    Tim Tebow 1.5m
    Sioha Pouha 3.5m

Thats 35 million in cap savings without looking at what a Revis trade could save us. It was said we were 18m over the cap coming into the season so that leaves us with about 17m plus Revis money if he is dealt to spend on bargain bin free agents to build this team . Last year with a decent QB we would of had atleast 2 more WINS putting us at 9-7. All the players listed above contributed nothing or little at all last year for the JETS so there loss wont hurt the team at all. Lets get rid of the dead weight pick up some additional draft picks and build this team from the ground up.

Trade Revis for a #1 and a 2014 conditional 3rd or 2nd round pick depending on playing time next year .

Waive Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, C. Pace, S. Pouha, B. Scott 35m cap savings

Sign RFA A. Howard OT, J Cumberland TE

Sign
    M. Moore QB
    C. Lynch Safety
    Daniel Thomas Guard
    Larry Grant MLB
    Javon Ringer RB
    Donnie Avery WR

Draft
    Revis costs the jets 9 mill in cap room to trade him. His cap hit if he remains on the jets is 6mill, so the jets actually lose 3 mill in 2013 cap dollars if he is traded.

the jets are at 141 mill now, you cut 35 mill now your at 106 mill, trade revis your at 109 mill, The rookies will be allocated 7 mill min sou your at 116 mill.
    that is 5 mill left. To tender Howard and Cunningham will cost almost 4 mill.

You know have 1 mill to sign all those FA!!!! Your post seems to project that since you got 35 mill you get to sign 35 mill of other players. And this does not even take into consideration the minimum salaries which is 530,000 per player this year to fill the roster to 53 players.
    Last edited by patman; 01-27-2013 at 10:32 AM.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good GM would restructure the contracts of Dbrick and David Harris saving 6-8 mil in cap space to sifn additional players

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good GM would restructure the contracts of Dbrick and David Harris saving 6-8 mil in cap space to sifn additional players
    Why would DBrick and Harris want to restructure their contracts?

Take one for the good of the team?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Screw that, restructuring is what has put our asses in the sling that it is. Eat the pain of the next couple of years to get out of the Tanny mess and then have lots of cap room for when it will really count.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    matt moore is decent at qb. maybe the best play is to trade revis to delete pete in seattle for their 1st and flynn and maybe a mid rounder. petey was a db as player and coach and his team is very close to being over the top. the next choice is sf except get smith. the bad news is that both of those teams have low first round picks available because they've been successful.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players restructure their contracts every year for a more guaranteed money in there contracts down the road. To field a competitive team next year this is what we have to do.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    In my scenario if we draft Eric Fisher with the first pick maybe we don't sign Austin Howard saving about 2 mil more of cap space. Yes this sounds like band aid fix but I feel we can still field a quality team next year with these moves. In 2014 Sanchez ad Santonio get cut saving additional cap space moving forward so we can go after a QB in free agency or draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Screw that, restructuring is what has put our asses in the sling that it is. Eat the pain of the next couple of years to get out of the Tanny mess and then have lots of cap room for when it will really count.
    There is the correct answer.

Renegotiating contracts is what got the Jets in the mess they are today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Players restructure their contracts every year for a more guaranteed money in there contracts down the road. To field a competitive team next year this is what we have to do.
    What do you mean by competitive? The jets were not competitive 1n 1/2 their games this year and after 1/2 the starters leaving as FA or being cut- your worrying about them being competitive next year?

1/2 of the posters already feel that Harris is slowing down and Dbricks performance over the last two years is no longer at a top 10 level, and you want to "guarantee" more years? Plus what if Rex leaves and the new coach is a 4-3 guy, Do you think harris can play MLB full time? or will he be a 2down run stuffer making 10 mill a year?

The jets have to live within the cap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Calvin Pace 8.5m
    Bart Scott 7m
    Eric Smith 3m
    Tim Tebow 1.5m
    Sioha Pouha 3.5m

Waive Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, C. Pace, S. Pouha, B. Scott 35m cap savingsSign RFA A. Howard OT, J Cumberland TE
    Sign
    M. Moore QB
    C. Lynch Safety
    Daniel Thomas Guard
    Larry Grant MLB
    Javon Ringer RB
    Donnie Avery WR

Draft
    Great work:

This is the closest senario to what i would like to see the Jets do this off season. I like the cuts and the signing of Cumby and Howard. From there i love the 1st pick, but not so much the next 2. I would prefer to add an OLBer with the 2nd #1 pick and another OLman with the 2nd round pick. I can deal with the RB in the 3rd. I don't want to add anymore WRs to this team unless it's 6th or 7th round guy from a small school with either size/speed and upside.

1st : Eric Fisher - LT/RT
    1st : Ezekiel Ansah - OLB
    2nd: Barrett Jones - OC/OG
    3rd: Michael Buchannon - OLB
    4th: Michael Christine - RB
    5th: Travis Kelce/Dion Sims/Michael Williams - TE
    6th: Chris Harper - WR
    7th Jeff Tuel - QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Revis costs the jets 9 mill in cap room to trade him. His cap hit if he remains on the jets is 6mill, so the jets actually lose 3 mill in 2013 cap dollars if he is traded.

the jets are at 141 mill now, you cut 35 mill now your at 106 mill, trade revis your at 109 mill, The rookies will be allocated 7 mill min sou your at 116 mill.

You know have 1 mill to sign all those FA!!!! Your post seems to project that since you got 35 mill you get to sign 35 mill of other players. And this does not even take into consideration the minimum salaries which is 530,000 per player this year to fill the roster to 53 players.
    Patman, I'm impressed. You know your Cap.

This is very depressing though. Are there any scenarios where we can get Cap space tp pick up some free agents ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

He has a decent plan if he would forget about the vast majority of those free agents he signed from other teams. Regardless to what the majority of Jet fans believe, there's a good chance Mark Sanchez will beon this team next yr. There's also an above average chance he will be the starter. So we can forget about signing any other free agent QB or trading for 1.

We have to focus on rebuilding the OL, getting a pass rusher and securing the best developmental QB prospect we can find. This is going to take more than 1 yr to fix but in the meantime, Rex and his defense will make us look decent..

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I feel the Jets can be competitive next year with these moves. These JETS players that will be waived or not resigned can be replaced with upgrades or players of equal quality.

Lets take for example the players that will be waived in my scenario.
    Jason Smith ----12m backup TE/OT
    Bart Scott ---- Aging player that can only stop the run. If you watched the games last year he played in less than 50% of snaps
    Calvin Pace------ decent year last year but also aging player that can be replaced with younger just as productive player for less
    Tim Tebow---- backup wildcat QB....no comment here we all know he can be replaced and should be replaced
    Siouha Pouha---- good DT but injuries caused him to miss most of season last year....he had little or no impact last year.

Now the players who will not be resigned
    Dustin Keller TE--- good receiving TE but not worth the money he will command in free agency plus was injured most of last season and was also a non factor
    Brandon Moore G-----probably the best player of all our unrestricted free agents but with him getting up in age I feel and our limited funds we should let him walk
    Laron Landry S--- I watched every game last year and he was all over the field every game. He will be a big loss next year but the safety position is not a premium position and can be easily replaced in free agency with Corey Lynch
    Yeremiah Bell S---see above
    Mike Devito---- good run stuffing DT that we will replace in draft with Kirwinn Short of Purdue.....this will be an upgrade
    Shonn Greene RB-----limited power back who will easily be replaced with Stepfan Taylor in draft......upgrade

So now lets look at some of the signings and draft picks I suggested

Matt Moore > Sanchez-----from watching every game last year Sanchez was the number 1 issue of this team. His 20 plus turnovers put us behind in most games last year. if Matt Moore comes in and has stats like 3000 yds passing with 18 td and 12 int and just 15 turnovers this could mean the difference of 2-3 wins next year.
    Eric Fisher> Aaron Howard-----1st round pick out of W. Michigan is a Joe Staley clone and would be a major upgrade of jets oline
    Donald Thomas G> Matt Slauson----slauson isnt much of a loss we all know that but D Thomas would be a small upgrade at minimum cost.
    Dirwann Short> Mike dEvito-----devito was solid but Short has major upside and can step right in an start.
    Javon Ringer, Stepfan Taylor> Shon Greene-----these two RB fit the west coast offense as pass catching RB who are shifty
    Cory Lynch> Yeremiah Bell-----Lynch stepped in last year and had a solid year with 4 picks
    Larry Grant> Bart Scott-----scott is done anything here would be an upgrade but Grant filled in when Willis went down and the 49ers didnt miss a step last year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I agree.Let's take the pain this year

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I feel the Jets can be competitive next year with these moves. These JETS players that will be waived or not resigned can be replaced with upgrades or players of equal quality.

Lets take for example the players that will be waived in my scenario.
    Jason Smith ----12m backup TE/OT
    Bart Scott ---- Aging player that can only stop the run. If you watched the games last year he played in less than 50% of snaps
    Calvin Pace------ decent year last year but also aging player that can be replaced with younger just as productive player for less
    Tim Tebow---- backup wildcat QB....no comment here we all know he can be replaced and should be replaced
    Siouha Pouha---- good DT but injuries caused him to miss most of season last year....he had little or no impact last year.

Now the players who will not be resigned
    Dustin Keller TE--- good receiving TE but not worth the money he will command in free agency plus was injured most of last season and was also a non factor
    Brandon Moore G-----probably the best player of all our unrestricted free agents but with him getting up in age I feel and our limited funds we should let him walk
    Laron Landry S--- I watched every game last year and he was all over the field every game. He will be a big loss next year but the safety position is not a premium position and can be easily replaced in free agency with Corey Lynch
    Yeremiah Bell S---see above
    Mike Devito---- good run stuffing DT that we will replace in draft with Kirwinn Short of Purdue.....this will be an upgrade
    Shonn Greene RB-----limited power back who will easily be replaced with Stepfan Taylor in draft......upgrade

So now lets look at some of the signings and draft picks I suggested

Matt Moore > Sanchez-----from watching every game last year Sanchez was the number 1 issue of this team. His 20 plus turnovers put us behind in most games last year. if Matt Moore comes in and has stats like 3000 yds passing with 18 td and 12 int and just 15 turnovers this could mean the difference of 2-3 wins next year.
    Eric Fisher> Aaron Howard-----1st round pick out of W. Michigan is a Joe Staley clone and would be a major upgrade of jets oline
    Donald Thomas G> Matt Slauson----slauson isnt much of a loss we all know that but D Thomas would be a small upgrade at minimum cost.
    Dirwann Short> Mike dEvito-----devito was solid but Short has major upside and can step right in an start.
    Javon Ringer, Stepfan Taylor> Shon Greene-----these two RB fit the west coast offense as pass catching RB who are shifty
    Cory Lynch> Yeremiah Bell-----Lynch stepped in last year and had a solid year with 4 picks
    Larry Grant> Bart Scott-----scott is done anything here would be an upgrade but Grant filled in when Willis went down and the 49ers didnt miss a step last year.
    I like your plan but I don't think we can afford all those FA's.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    All players Im suggesting in signing made under 1.25 mil last year last year besides Matt Moore who made 2.5mil. Im just saying you restructure a contract of a player or players who you can see down the road will still be on this team in a next couple of years. In 2014 you cut Sanchez 9.5 mil cap savings with Santonio 8.5m and Cromartie 8.5 with a savings of just under 26milllion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is a bad idea to sign Moore. Once again, increase the talent around Sanchez and see if he can perform for us? Besides, with Sanchez counting so much against our cap next season, we are stuck with him. If he fails, we have our answer; thus, show him the door after 2013. In the meantime, prepare to draft a QB in the 2014 draft.

No more short term fixes. If we are in cap hell as has been reported, bite the bullet next season including Sanchez's contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    There is the correct answer.

Renegotiating contracts is what got the Jets in the mess they are today.
    Get lost troll, every team does it

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...ts-source-says