Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agent Bargain Bin

Free Agent Bargain Bin

Just a few bargain bin names I think the Jets should go after

Matt Moore QB -- Moore, is an athletic quarterback with the arm strength to make every NFL throw with good zip. When he strides into his throws, he is an accurate passeróon short, intermediate and deep passes. He throws a good deep ball, showing the ability to drop in a deep touch pass or zip a 25-plus yard throw on a rope. Though his production against the blitz isnít always good, he doesnít panic against pressure and force throws into bad spots. He is very willing to throw the ball away. He has a quick, efficient delivery, which helps him get rid of the ball quickly. He has shown a knack for making good 10-plus yard throws in third-and-long situations. He leads receivers effectively, and when his target is well-covered, he does a good job of throwing the ball where only the receiver can make a play on the ball. He stands strong in the pocket, waiting for a chance to make a good throw right before he gets hit.

Javon Ringer RB---Ringer is a strong back with a solid frame. Great technical runner. Keeps his shoulder square to the line of scrimmage at all times and tucks the ball well. He's used to carrying the load after totaling 390 carries his senior year. Great vision, which allows him to find a hole where most won't. Runs low to the ground. A better pass catcher than most running backs. Runs solid routes and can be considered an asset in the passing game. Known by coaches as a hard worker in the weight room.

Corey Lynch S---A fantastic special teams player who was an absolute ballhawk in college

Larry Grant ILB---Grant is a jack of all trades. He can play all three linebacker positions and could be a very good special teams player. He has blocked 15 kicks in his college career. With his versatility and special teams contributions, he could stick on an NFL team and be a contributor.

Donnie Avery WR---

Donald Thomas G---

Junior Galette OLB/DE---

You make Matt Moore sound like Aaron Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Namath View Post
    Compared to what's on the roster, he is.

Jets Insider VIP
    How long is Mallet gonna be willing to ride the bench?

we have no money.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Namath View Post
    Moore is the only guy even worth looking at in FA. Sadly we will not be able to afford him. Even if we could sign him I would rather not and get as many Comp picks for next year as we can. If someone is stupid enough to give Landry 6 mil next year I want that 4th rounder. The only spot I'd like to see us sign a FA for more then 2 mil is RT maybe OLB. No need to throw that 4th away on a patch work QB.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Moore is the only guy even worth looking at in FA. Sadly we will not be able to afford him. Even if we could sign him I would rather not and get as many Comp picks for next year as we can. If someone is stupid enough to give Landry 6 mil next year I want that 4th rounder. The only spot I'd like to see us sign a FA for more then 2 mil is RT maybe OLB. No need to throw that 4th away on a patch work QB.
    I have to think that ANY GM knows that a franchise QB is one of the requirements of a winning team, and that you don't necessarily need THAT guy until you have some other pieces in place.

The Jets are not going to be resurrected in 2013 via the QB spot - plain and simple. Not at the draft. Not through FA.

I have to think that Idzik sees/knows this too and I'd expect him to be most concerned with building the offense. Firstly, they need to find out what they have in Mark, if Mark can be fixed. Secondly, the defense isn't changing, yes it has holes but it's still the Ryan defense. The WCO however, is going to require a more significant reassessment of the offensive side of things - from line play, to RB, to WR to TE.

If anything was revealed today at the Senior Bowl it's that the Jets can safely focus on all the other holes they have.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    I have to think that ANY GM knows that a franchise QB is one of the requirements of a winning team, and that you don't necessarily need THAT guy until you have some other pieces in place.

The Jets are not going to be resurrected in 2013 via the QB spot - plain and simple. Not at the draft. Not through FA.

I have to think that Idzik sees/knows this too and I'd expect him to be most concerned with building the offense. Firstly, they need to find out what they have in Mark, if Mark can be fixed. Secondly, the defense isn't changing, yes it has holes but it's still the Ryan defense. The WCO however, is going to require a more significant reassessment of the offensive side of things - from line play, to RB, to WR to TE.

If anything was revealed today at the Senior Bowl it's that the Jets can safely focus on all the other holes they have.
    The 3 best QBs didn't play in the SR bowl and it isn't a good measure to start. The draft is where we are going to find our QB. Sanchez is a done deal. There is no "fixing him". Not on this team he has already burned that bridge then collected the left over timbers and burned it again. Almost no chance Sanchez plays anther game for this team IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    The 3 best QBs didn't play in the SR bowl and it isn't a good measure to start. The draft is where we are going to find our QB. Sanchez is a done deal. There is no "fixing him". Not on this team he has already burned that bridge then collected the left over timbers and burned it again. Almost no chance Sanchez plays anther game for this team IMO
    Who is the 3rd best? Geno Smith, Barkley and who?>

Veteran
    I don't count Smith because I think he'll be gone 100% by the time #9 rolls around. Barkley? I think he's better than most around here give him credit for. I think he could be successful in a WCO but he doesn't strike me as a 'franchise' guy. I also think the Bills could definitely grab him at #8. They are taking a QB.

So with Smith and Barkley gone - is your #3 Bray? No way Jets take him at #9 - no way.

Now one of those top two could fall to us, but it seems less likely than them being off the board after #8.

I agree that the likelihood of turning Mark around is slight, but it seems like Morinwheg (sp) and Lee are a good place to start. The Jets don't have a lot of options, as we know, and I would personally be surprised if Sanchez isn't given a legit shot at the starting job next year.

The parlor game I am interested in is who do we bring in to push him for the starter's job in a legit way - and paying Alex Smith $6 mill a year does not count . . .

But I would agree with you - Smith and Barkley have become the clear 1/2 in my mind.
    Last edited by adpz; 01-27-2013 at 12:34 AM.

I don't count Smith because I think he'll be gone 100% by the time #9 rolls around. Barkley? I think he's better than most around here give him credit for. I think he could be successful in a WCO but he doesn't strike me as a 'franchise' guy. I also think the Bills could definitely grab him at #8. They are taking a QB.

So with Smith and Barkley gone - is your #3 Bray? No way Jets take him at #9 - no way.

Now one of those top two could fall to us, but it seems less likely than them being off the board after #8.

I agree that the likelihood of turning Mark around is slight, but it seems like Morinwheg (sp) and Lee are a good place to start. The Jets don't have a lot of options, as we know, and I would personally be surprised if Sanchez isn't given a legit shot at the starting job next year.

The parlor game I am interested in is who do we bring in to push him for the starter's job in a legit way - and paying Alex Smith $6 mill a year does not count . . .

But I would agree with you - Smith and Barkley have become the clear 1/2 in my mind.
    Talent wise Brey is my 3. Wilson and a few other will go before him though. It is his attitude that will keep him out of the 1st though. He will end up being anther Mallett who I loved. It is really hard on guys like Nassib and Dysert to look good in a game like the SR bowl. Those games are set up to show case individual talents not continuity. There is a reason so many 1st round talent passes on the game. Last year Weeden and Cousins where out played by Foles. Ponder looked like a stud the year prior. It is not a very good judge of talent IMO. Ponder also had the advantage of being able to work out with the WR he hit most with quite a bit as FSU and Florida are pretty close to each other.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 01-27-2013 at 02:23 AM.

Why do you think Smith will only get 6mill as a FA?

Why do you feel Buffalo will go qb in the 1st? OLB is thier biggest need and the position of greatest depth in the top 1/2 of the 1st. Besides Steve Johnson, they did not have a top starting WR or a rec TE on the roster. Fitz did throw 24 tD and 16 int. not great, but not so bad as to go QB in the first.
    Last edited by patman; 01-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    How long is Mallet gonna be willing to ride the bench?
    What do you mean willing? He is under a 4 year contract he will be a FA for the 2015 season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

No more USC QB's.....

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why do you think Smith will only get 6mill as a FA?

Why do you feel Buffalo will go qb in the 1st? OLB is thier biggest need and the position of greatest depth in the top 1/2 of the 1st. Besides Steve Johnson, they did not have a top starting WR or a rec TE on the roster. Fitz did throw 24 tD and 16 int. not great, but not so bad as to go QB in the first.
    I actually think Smith wants a lot more than $6 - I was just putting a minimum number out there. And as far as Buffalo - their own GM came out and said that they plan on drafting a QB. He didn't say 'when' but after yesterday's performance I could easily see it being at #8.

I agree Fitz isn't that bad - I don't really understand a lot of the moves the bills make - from Brad Smith to Mo Williams.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    No more USC QB's.....
    +1 SC QB's are overrated and are best suited to play in a warm weather climate or dome setting and they are allergic to weather in the Eastern seaboard.

Obviously to sign some of these guys others will have to be cut like

Jason Smith $12m cap savings
    Calvin Pace 8.5m
    Bart Scott 7m
    Eric Smith 3m
    Tim Tebow 1.5m
    Sioha Pouha 3.5m

Thats 35 million in cap savings without looking at what a Revis trade could save us. It was said we were 18m over the cap coming into the season so that leaves us with about 17m plus Revis money if he is dealt to spend on bargain bin free agents to build this team . Last year with a decent QB we would of had atleast 2 more WINS putting us at 9-7. All the players listed above contributed nothing or little at all last year for the JETS so there loss wont hurt the team at all. Lets get rid of the dead weight pick up some additional draft picks and build this team from the ground up.

Here is my scenario for Jets

Trade Revis for a #1 and a 2014 conditional 3rd or 2nd round pick depending on playing time next year .

Waive Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, C. Pace, S. Pouha, B. Scott 35m cap savings

Sign RFA A. Howard OT, J Cumberland TE

Sign
    M. Moore QB
    C. Lynch Safety
    Daniel Thomas Guard
    Larry Grant MLB
    Javon Ringer RB
    Donnie Avery WR

Draft
    Round#1 Eric Fisher OT W. Michigan
    Round #1 (Revis Trade) Kuwann Short DT Purdue
    Round#2 Zach Ertz TE Stanford
    Round #3 Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford
    Round #4 Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    Roundv#5 Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State
    Roundv#6 Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
    Round #7 Quinn Sharp Kicker Oklahoma State

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector Oofus View Post
    +1 SC QB's are overrated and are best suited to play in a warm weather climate or dome setting and they are allergic to weather in the Eastern seaboard.
    They also play against crappy PAC 10 defenses.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose11 View Post
    Obviously to sign some of these guys others will have to be cut like

Jason Smith $12m cap savings
    Calvin Pace 8.5m
    Bart Scott 7m
    Eric Smith 3m
    Tim Tebow 1.5m
    Sioha Pouha 3.5m

Thats 35 million in cap savings without looking at what a Revis trade could save us. It was said we were 18m over the cap coming into the season so that leaves us with about 17m plus Revis money if he is dealt to spend on bargain bin free agents to build this team . Last year with a decent QB we would of had atleast 2 more WINS putting us at 9-7. All the players listed above contributed nothing or little at all last year for the JETS so there loss wont hurt the team at all. Lets get rid of the dead weight pick up some additional draft picks and build this team from the ground up.

Here is my scenario for Jets

Trade Revis for a #1 and a 2014 conditional 3rd or 2nd round pick depending on playing time next year .

Waive Tebow, E Smith, J Smith, C. Pace, S. Pouha, B. Scott 35m cap savings

Sign RFA A. Howard OT, J Cumberland TE

Sign
    M. Moore QB
    C. Lynch Safety
    Daniel Thomas Guard
    Larry Grant MLB
    Javon Ringer RB
    Donnie Avery WR

Draft
    Round#1 Eric Fisher OT W. Michigan
    Round #1 (Revis Trade) Kuwann Short DT Purdue
    Round#2 Zach Ertz TE Stanford
    Round #3 Stepfan Taylor RB Stanford
    Round #4 Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
    Roundv#5 Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State
    Roundv#6 Jamie Collins, DE/OLB, Southern Miss
    Round #7 Quinn Sharp Kicker Oklahoma State

Well thought out post bro. ... Where you been hiding out all year?

Ljr

Normally I just read the posts but sometimes its hard to take some JETS fans on here. Too many glass half empty fans out there