Thread: The only real justification for trading Revis

The only real justification for trading Revis

There are a lot of interesting opinions concerning the issue of trading Revis. Fair points have been made on both sides ranging from not trading him because he is a great player to trading him because of his contract demands. And, as always, the New York media is circling the Jets like vultures in the sky waiting to pounce.

The only way this trade works for this franchise is to parlay Revis into a Franchise QB. The team must ask teams for a first round pick in 2014 because, despite the ensuing draft hype, there are no franchise altering QBs in 2013. However there is a monster draft surfacing in 2014 and between the Jets own pick in 2014 (which will be high) and a second first round pick, the team should have enough ammunition to strike.

There is some risk involved specifically whether Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny "football" Manziel come out. In a worst case scenario the Jets could land the game changing pass rusher that they have lacked since the early 80s in Jadeveon Clowney. The early word on Clowney is that he has GREAT pro potential. I would argue that next to a franchise QB the next most important position is a great pass rusher. Clowney sure could make Revis' replacement at CB look good when the opposing QB is flat on his back. But make no mistake, getting a franchise QB is the first and best reason for making this trade. Another risk is that despite the obvious talent of these prospects, there are no certainties in the NFL draft.

The bottom line is no one achieves greatness by playing it safe. If the Jets trade Revis, they are taking a calculated gamble to begin with. The Jets should trade Revis for a first round pick in 2014 and then spend this upcoming draft fortifying the OL (which this draft is strong with) in preparation for 2014. A franchise QB coupled with a strong OL makes this franchise far better then a CB that will be 30 years old (and cost as much as a franchise QB) by the time the team is good again.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-27-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Agreed. Unfortunately I don't think manziel or little teddy will come out next year. In the absence of those two, clowney will likely go #1, and I don't think we will have rhat pick naturally, nor should we trade up for it.

Watch Tajh Boyd as a sleeper to be the best qb come out of the 2014 draft in the long run.

P.S. great avatar IJF. That 80s/90s layout is a better schematic than the current jets toilet bowl & ball logo.

Veteran
    Right after the 2012 draft Matt Barkley was looked at as the 1st overall QB and potential franchise QB for the 2013 draft. Now he is looked at as a 2nd-4th round talent. A lot can change in a year.

Revis' injury makes this scenario quite likely.

I can see a team offering up a 2nd and 5th this year, and a conditional 1st/2nd for 2014.

at the same time, I can see the Jets receiving no competition for 2013 - let Revis play a few games to prove he's healthy and drive up the market and sell high for the 2014 draft. if he's the Revis of old, he'll easily garner the Jets a 1st and 2nd in 2014. and that might be the most ideal scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Revis' injury makes this scenario quite likely.

I can see a team offering up a 2nd and 5th this year, and a conditional 1st/2nd for 2014.

at the same time, I can see the Jets receiving no competition for 2013 - let Revis play a few games to prove he's healthy and drive up the market and sell high for the 2014 draft. if he's the Revis of old, he'll easily garner the Jets a 1st and 2nd in 2014. and that might be the most ideal scenario.
    There is no way the Jets are getting multiple picks for D Revis when he will be an unrestricted FA in 2014. (Have no franchise tag to play with)
    If the new general manager get 1 first round pick for Revis, he should be up for executive of the year.

See Steelers taking a fifth round pick for Santonio Holmes.

The Jets have to decide before training camp ( right after superbowl) what they are going to do with D Revis. He comes to camp without a new contract than you can bet he will play out the year . Test free agency .
    So the jets either sign him to a big contract extension or you trade him and get what you can.
    The Jets try and see what Revis is in training camp it will be too late. He going to test FA in 2014 .

BTW. I wouldn't want to be the new general manager. It's a no win situation. He doesn't get a king ransom(a lot of fans expect trading one best Cb to play the game). Or if He keeps Revis this year and watches him leave for really a fourth round pick as compensation in 2015. OR finally he signs Revis to a very big contract. There are going to be some who are unhappy they put so much money in the Cb position.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    P.S. great avatar IJF. That 80s/90s layout is a better schematic than the current jets toilet bowl & ball logo.
    Thanks, the green helmets are my favorite.

I have heard of Boyd but I do not know enough about him yet. What is your early read on him?

Why do you get the impression that Bridgewater will not come out? My sense from what I have read was that it was very possible that he will come out (Manzeil is more of a long shot).
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-27-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Right after the 2012 draft Matt Barkley was looked at as the 1st overall QB and potential franchise QB for the 2013 draft. Now he is looked at as a 2nd-4th round talent. A lot can change in a year.
    It's a good point but sometimes you need to take a gamble. The colts made sure they were rancid to ensure getting Andrew Luck and it has worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It's a good point but sometimes you need to take a gamble. The colts made sure they were rancid to ensure getting Andrew Luck and it has worked out.
    Suck for Luck II - starring the New York Jets. but there is no Andrew Luck in 2014 ... Is there ?

There is enough pressure on a top pick QB to pan out when you consider the draft position and/or if you had to trade up for the pick. In a 'normal' situation, there is a lot invested in the pick with heavy ramifications on the franchise.

We DO NOT need the added pressure of a draft pick working out by the trade of our best player for the pick.

DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

I am a 43 year old Jets fan who has witnessed not only some of the worst draft mistakes but worse yet, more often than not with this franchise.

We finally get a pick right and now we want to cash it in for extra picks. That's like finding a way give your wife extra money only to know it will spent away for 'lord know's what' before you get your first bank statement back!

The Revis pick has netted the best player at his position. And, it's the Jets. From all accounts, he's a solid citizen. There are no DUIs, drug possession arrests, domestic disputes, six wives, 10 kids.... You get my point.

Don't eat the BS that's being served for breakfast, that he's a malcontent for his large contract demands. This is not baseball. There IS a salary cap and all contracts with EVERY team must fit within its parameters.

He's deserves to get paid fair market value for being one of the best defenders in the league. We got a new GM whose specialty is contracts. Let him figure the contract details out while being cap-friendly in rebuilding this team.

I can't believe they would bring in Idzik only to get rid of the Revis contract. That's like hiring the best trial attorney only to make every effort to settle and avoid court time where the guy makes his living.

I have to believe this 'trade' talk is posturing to help Idzik get this deal done. I don't see how you get better giving away your best player. The reason why he 'costs so much' is because the Jets actually got a pick RIGHT.

This is not a 'personnel' guy that's going to parlay Revis into multiple draft picks that has the proven track record to make the right selections, ie, Dave Caldwell, Gamble, Pollian, etc...

Idzik's first order of business should be to cut all the underperforming players that help our cap, resign Revis, and bring in competition at QB. Let Mornigweg figure out whose best to lead the Jets on offense, Sanchez, a 'Matt Moore,' etc.. If Sanchez fails to perform, cut him next year and look to draft a QB in the 2014 draft which will be 'QB Stronger.'

KEEP REVIS. Don't believe the HYPE.

it's all about current and future costs. revis is going to cost a boatload assuming he comes back from his injury. if the jets can trade him for multiple high round picks then they really need to look at the deal hard. 2 firsts probably a done deal. a first and second less so and so on. but if they do trade revis than they will clearly be on a 2 year plus rebuilding plan. no point is having revis on a sucky team. the drafts picks for revis should take up 2 starter spots and will be good players just about time revis turns 30. so at that point revis will be on the decline while the team is ascending.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankdds View Post
    There is enough pressure on a top pick QB to pan out when you consider the draft position and/or if you had to trade up for the pick. In a 'normal' situation, there is a lot invested in the pick with heavy ramifications on the franchise.

We DO NOT need the added pressure of a draft pick working out by the trade of our best player for the pick.

DO NOT TRADE REVIS.

I am a 43 year old Jets fan who has witnessed not only some of the worst draft mistakes but worse yet, more often than not with this franchise.

We finally get a pick right and now we want to cash it in for extra picks. That's like finding a way give your wife extra money only to know it will spent away for 'lord know's what' before you get your first bank statement back!

The Revis pick has netted the best player at his position. And, it's the Jets. From all accounts, he's a solid citizen. There are no DUIs, drug possession arrests, domestic disputes, six wives, 10 kids.... You get my point.

Don't eat the BS that's being served for breakfast, that he's a malcontent for his large contract demands. This is not baseball. There IS a salary cap and all contracts with EVERY team must fit within its parameters.

He's deserves to get paid fair market value for being one of the best defenders in the league. We got a new GM whose specialty is contracts. Let him figure the contract details out while being cap-friendly in rebuilding this team.

I can't believe they would bring in Idzik only to get rid of the Revis contract. That's like hiring the best trial attorney only to make every effort to settle and avoid court time where the guy makes his living.

I have to believe this 'trade' talk is posturing to help Idzik get this deal done. I don't see how you get better giving away your best player. The reason why he 'costs so much' is because the Jets actually got a pick RIGHT.

This is not a 'personnel' guy that's going to parlay Revis into multiple draft picks that has the proven track record to make the right selections, ie, Dave Caldwell, Gamble, Pollian, etc...

Idzik's first order of business should be to cut all the underperforming players that help our cap, resign Revis, and bring in competition at QB. Let Mornigweg figure out whose best to lead the Jets on offense, Sanchez, a 'Matt Moore,' etc.. If Sanchez fails to perform, cut him next year and look to draft a QB in the 2014 draft which will be 'QB Stronger.'

KEEP REVIS. Don't believe the HYPE.
    Excellent post; you make some fair arguments.

But my biggest issue with your post is your assumption that its hype that Revis is being negatively branded in regards to his contract. History has shown that he will get bloody extracting every penny possible from the team. And let me cut you off from a talking point; every super star does NOT do the same. Tom Brady signed an enormous contract but there is no doubt that he left some money on the table. Revis has proven that he and his agents will leave NOTHING on the table. And, I am sorry, but between the two players Brady is simply more valuable.

The reality is we knew Revis was going to be rough in regards to contracts from day one considering how influential Sean gilbert was in his life. And this is not the Yankees, in this sport there is a hard cap and tough decisions must be made. If you are going to pay Revis franchise QB money then another position is going to suffer. And considering how bad this team will be I do not think it is wise to spend that much money on a CB who will be 30 years old by the time the team becomes a legitimate contender. IF you can get a first and another pick(s) for him and possibly get a franchise QB who could be playing 10 years after Revis retires, then it is best for the franchise.

As for the risk of getting the pick wrong, well there is always that chance. But the fear of failure cannot be the driving force behind inaction, not if you plan on being a consistent winner
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-27-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Suck for Luck II - starring the New York Jets. but there is no Andrew Luck in 2014 ... Is there ?
    Dump Darrelle for Johnny Manziel.