Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis

Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tead-of-revis/

The prevailing view inside and outside the Jets organization is that owner Woody Johnson has no desire to pay cornerback Darrelle Revis the kind of money he’d fetch on the open market. With the Jets having no way to keep Revis from hitting the open market next year, the question becomes whether the team should part ways with him sooner and get value in return.

But there’s a belief within the power structure that Johnson should broaden the lens and look at the entire budget for the cornerback position. Instead of paying Revis close to market value and continuing to pay cornerback Antonio Cromartie a healthy salary ($7 million base pay in 2013), the Jets could pay Revis what he’s worth and trade Cromartie.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that a “small segment” of the organization prefers that approach, trading Cromartie instead of Revis. Actually, we’re told that the small segment includes a previously large man named Rex Ryan.

Per Cimini, Cromartie is due to receive a $2.3 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year, in mid-March. Cimini explains that the Jets would carry only $2.5 million in dead money by trading Cromartie, and that they would avoid the $8.2 million cap charge associated with keeping him. (Actually, with a $7 million base salary and a $2.3 million roster bonus, the cap charge would be at least $9.3 million, plus any proration for past signing bonuses.) Revis will cost $9 million against the cap if he stays — and $12 million against the cap if he is traded before June 1.

As we hear it, the primary factor for Ryan is that he’s hoping to clear out some of the guys who have contributed to the problems in the locker room over the past couple of years. Cromartie is regarded as one of those guys.

Which, of course, may not make it any easier to trade him.

Dumb idea ... It's what you are willing to allocate to the CB position as a unit ... Period.

Cromartie was voted team MVP by his team. He's been one of the few strong constants on the field this year.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL. Cro has been one of the best lockerroom guys since he has been here. Unless we are going to hang him for that joke he made about being the 2nd best WR on the team. He did have some issues in San Diego but that was when he was immature and before he stabilized his personal life.

Typical ignorant Florio.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-27-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Santonio hint hint

These alleged leaks and insider reports are so strange. So woody decides now how much money is allocated to the CB position? And now we are going to get rid of our one good, healthy CB? These new "leaks" are annoying. If legitimate stuff is still leaking out, it is more proof that Woody could be a leak.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 01-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Aside from the negative Florio spin on anything that is Jets-related, trading Cro and keeping Revis actually makes sense.

you sell high and buy low. Cro's value will never be higher, while Revis' has never been lower. we can use that to our advantage in seeking better compensation for Cro (relatively speaking) while negotiating some sort of discount and/or exit clauses by signing Revis to a long-term deal right now.

furthermore, there are the cap ramifications of trading either one. as I understand it, trading Revis actually puts us in a deeper cap hole this year with some hold carrying over to next, but trading Cro clears most of his $8 million off the books immediately.

just another avenue to consider.

All Pro
    While the idea of Cro being a distraction in the locker room is pure speculation, it makes sense to trade him. Start Revis, Wilson or Berry and get atleast a second rounder for Cromartie as his value is at an all time high. You fill another vacant starting spot with that pick (Cough, Larry Warford, cough) and all of a sudden we keep the HOF player and still have helped the team. As someone mentioned, Cro relies heavily on athletisism unlike Revis which could make his life as a pro bowl caliber player that much shorter.

Cromartie does a fair amount of putting his foot in his mouth, but I don't get the vibe that it's malicious. He doesn't always think before he speaks. And getting rid of him means nothing as it pertains to getting Revis his $16 million a year.

It's simple business.... Explore moving Revis now while you have the chance. Cause if the season starts, and he plays well, someone else WILL make him an offer for more money and he will be gone for dick anyways.

Everyone.... Me, us, writers, commentators and the like, will be down on the Jets if they can't keep him and he goes elsewhere..... For dick.

Cromartie a locker room issue? Never seen him argue w anyone in the huddle. Never heard him speak against a team mate. Maybe he is an issue but it certainly doesn't seem that way.

I'm all for trading Holmes.

Look there first, Idzik.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm all for trading Holmes.

Look there first, Idzik.
    I am sure if the Jets could trade Holmes they will. But I don't think there is a team in the NFL that is going to take Holmes with that salary, that personality and coming off that injury. Those are three strikes against Holmes. It would be a miracle if the Jets unloaded him.

But if we can't move him, I would like to see what he could do with an accurate QB that can get him the ball. I think if we ever got a real deep threat, Holmes and Kerley could do a lot of damage underneath with an accurate QB. I think Holmes could be good in Marty's offense.

What I like about Cromartie and Edwards is that they really want to be here. Revis and Holmes seem to be out for themselves and not the team.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Cromartie was voted team MVP by his team. He's been one of the few strong constants on the field this year.
    That's what I was thinking. He seems to be well liked.

I think people confuse having lots of kids with being a bad guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Dumb idea ... It's what you are willing to allocate to the CB position as a unit ... Period.
    ...getting rid of Cromartie instead of Revis is a dumb idea?

All League
    All the people screaming we need to trade 24 because of the cap, well this is the deal that will help more. And we get to keep the the best ever to boot. I love Cro, but we could get a 3 , or a 2 if there is a bidding war.

I think Rex is gonna go all out to keep Darelle, so at the end of the day I don't see it happening.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    All the people screaming we need to trade 24 because of the cap, well this is the deal that will help more. And we get to keep the the best ever to boot. I love Cro, but we could get a 3 , or a 2 if there is a bidding war.

I think Rex is gonna go all out to keep Darelle, so at the end of the day I don't see it happening.
    That could cost both their jobs if he pushes to hard..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    That could cost both their jobs if he pushes to hard..
    I don't think Rex thinks like that, or worries about that. And if we learned anything Woody has an ear open for him.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I am sure if the Jets could trade Holmes they will. But I don't think there is a team in the NFL that is going to take Holmes with that salary, that personality and coming off that injury. Those are three strikes against Holmes. It would be a miracle if the Jets unloaded him.

But if we can't move him, I would like to see what he could do with an accurate QB that can get him the ball. I think if we ever got a real deep threat, Holmes and Kerley could do a lot of damage underneath with an accurate QB. I think Holmes could be good in Marty's offense.
    I understand. Since we're rebuilding, I'd like to get rid of the anchors (in the locker room).

All League
    I think the "leaks" are probably from people outside the organization. Over the past three weeks Woody conducted GM interviews and brought several front office guys in to talk about organizational structure, etc.

Talking with all these professionals Woody probably came to understand why his salary cap got so bad. Some of the advice he heard was that you don't overpay your home grown talent. Also learned how much money he had invested at each position.

One of the many individuals that Woody had discussions with over the last three months came to the conclusion that the Jets are going to what ever it takes to turn the team over this offseason and will probably maximize their assets at the same time.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    What I like about Cromartie and Edwards is that they really want to be here. Revis and Holmes seem to be out for themselves and not the team.
    This has got to count for something. Cromartie is passionate about being a Jet, defending his QB, he really loves playing in green. Revis loves the idea of being the Derek Jeter of the Jets franchise, not quite the same thing.

That said if Revis can be signed for 12.5 million a year, five years with 60 million guaranteed, trade Cromartie ...I say do it.

If not trade Revis after June first .... and sign Cromartie to an extension if he will sign for 8 millon a year ...

13 million or more a year on football player that does not play qb or rush a qb is wrong, wrong, wrong.