Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis

I think the biggest problem with this line of thinking is that revis won't be happy with his new contract...ever. You'll have to keep negotiating every single year and that's why trading cromartie is an option but I'm not sure it's the best option. If the jets could give revis a contract that will keep both parties happy then that's great, do it. I'm not sure that's possible though.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    In 4 years, our scoring D has gone from being #1, to #6, to #20 two years running. And trading our best defensive player is somehow going to make that better?
    Paying 15+ million to Revis won't solve the problem when Revis is on the field with a half a pack of average to bad players because his salary is prohibitive cap wise. 3 good players is better then 1 great player for the money.

The are currently not a team suited to paying a CB the money he will most likely want. There is a lack talent at pretty much every position except DE.

All Pro
    I don't think Cro has ever said anything wrong in the media. Your gonna crucify him for sticking up for his teammates? Another terrible article by another media hack, and we are the JACKA$$ES who keep reading them and giving their sites traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Aside from the negative Florio spin on anything that is Jets-related, trading Cro and keeping Revis actually makes sense.

you sell high and buy low. Cro's value will never be higher, while Revis' has never been lower. we can use that to our advantage in seeking better compensation for Cro (relatively speaking) while negotiating some sort of discount and/or exit clauses by signing Revis to a long-term deal right now.

furthermore, there are the cap ramifications of trading either one. as I understand it, trading Revis actually puts us in a deeper cap hole this year with some hold carrying over to next, but trading Cro clears most of his $8 million off the books immediately.

just another avenue to consider.
    It's unbelievable the Revis haters don't even want to consider keeping Revis, but at the end of the day, it will cost us 3m to get rid of Revis and save us 1.25m to get rid of cromartie and over 8m next year. Cromartie is at his peak value while Revis is at his lowest value, but nothing will deter the Revis haters and they refuse to consider that Cromartie will cost us only slightly less than Revis to sign the following year when his contract is up.

Stop letting your hatred of Revis get in the way of your good judgement haters.

Veteran
    It's a big risk considering that injury.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    It's unbelievable the Revis haters don't even want to consider keeping Revis, but at the end of the day, it will cost us 3m to get rid of Revis and save us 1.25m to get rid of cromartie and over 8m next year. Cromartie is at his peak value while Revis is at his lowest value, but nothing will deter the Revis haters and they refuse to consider that Cromartie will cost us only slightly less than Revis to sign the following year when his contract is up.

Can you show me one post where anyone said; I hate Revis??

Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    Santonio hint hint
    Send Santonio and Cromartie packing along with the other cap clearing stiffs. Next year will be Sanchez turn.

Goodbye cap issues.

Hall Of Fame

Who hates Revis?? People just dont want to see Revis walk out the door and get nothing in return. People also do not want to just give Revis anything he wants and keep revisiting his contract every couple years.

Cimini LOL. A small contingent of people want to trade Cro instead, he says.

I guarantee you he was reading that on message boards and thought it was an interesting angle so he tries to attribute it to a team source.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm all for trading Holmes.

Look there first, Idzik.
    He will if not this year, next. Huge benefit getting rid of Holmes and Cromartie especially next year. Check the cap savings on Cromartie and holmes. Those moves alone will cover Revis contract.

Banned
    He will if not this year, next. Huge benefit getting rid of Holmes and Cromartie especially next year. Check the cap savings on Cromartie and holmes. Those moves alone will cover Revis contract.
    So we lose 2 starters and use the savings to keep 1? That is so financially ass backwards it's not even funny. You might as well hire Tanny back. You do realize we would have to replace Holmes right and in your scenario do it without any money. Makes sense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Mid season trades yield very little in value. Revis is coming off an ACL injury, not open heart surgery. Revis earns half of his salary before the season even starts, it would be beyond foolish for the Jets to go into the start of the season with Revis' status as is.
    Michael Haynes, HOF CB, trade finalized after 12 weeks from Pats to Oakland. Pats got back a 1st in 1984 and a 2nd in 1985.

Herschel Walker got traded after week 5 from Dallas to the Vikings. Dallas got 3 1st and 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick among other things in return.
    Last edited by Choon328; 01-27-2013 at 12:58 PM.

Cro is the better athlete and he is cheaper to cheap. **** that.

All League
    Who hates Revis?? People just dont want to see Revis walk out the door and get nothing in return. People also do not want to just give Revis anything he wants and keep revisiting his contract every couple years.
    Your last sentence may make some think of hateing the guy. There are a number of great athletes that I love to watch play unfotunetly they all have the same MO as Revis when it comes to money. Everyone that looks at themselves as the best want to be compensated as such. Poblem is players live in a free enterprise world and teams have to live in one that is resticted by a cap. The cap rose by several million dollers a year prior to the New CBA, over the last several years it has bin stagnent. GM's were able to factor in an increase when looking at future contracts today not so much, this may be a big part and only a part of what got Tanny and the Jets into Cap Hell.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Aside from the negative Florio spin on anything that is Jets-related, trading Cro and keeping Revis actually makes sense.

you sell high and buy low. Cro's value will never be higher, while Revis' has never been lower. we can use that to our advantage in seeking better compensation for Cro (relatively speaking) while negotiating some sort of discount and/or exit clauses by signing Revis to a long-term deal right now.

furthermore, there are the cap ramifications of trading either one. as I understand it, trading Revis actually puts us in a deeper cap hole this year with some hold carrying over to next, but trading Cro clears most of his $8 million off the books immediately.

just another avenue to consider.
    Makes a lot of sense, so I'm guessing the Jets won't do it this way.

Woody will fuk this up. I'm just waiting to see how bad.
    Last edited by TheMikeIsHot; 01-27-2013 at 01:01 PM.

All Pro
    Ummm. There are plenty of people on this board who don't like Revis.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Ummm. There are plenty of people on this board who don't like Revis.
    Hate might be an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...tead-of-revis/

The prevailing view inside and outside the Jets organization is that owner Woody Johnson has no desire to pay cornerback Darrelle Revis the kind of money he’d fetch on the open market. With the Jets having no way to keep Revis from hitting the open market next year, the question becomes whether the team should part ways with him sooner and get value in return.

But there’s a belief within the power structure that Johnson should broaden the lens and look at the entire budget for the cornerback position. Instead of paying Revis close to market value and continuing to pay cornerback Antonio Cromartie a healthy salary ($7 million base pay in 2013), the Jets could pay Revis what he’s worth and trade Cromartie.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that a “small segment” of the organization prefers that approach, trading Cromartie instead of Revis. Actually, we’re told that the small segment includes a previously large man named Rex Ryan.

Per Cimini, Cromartie is due to receive a $2.3 million roster bonus on the third day of the league year, in mid-March. Cimini explains that the Jets would carry only $2.5 million in dead money by trading Cromartie, and that they would avoid the $8.2 million cap charge associated with keeping him. (Actually, with a $7 million base salary and a $2.3 million roster bonus, the cap charge would be at least $9.3 million, plus any proration for past signing bonuses.) Revis will cost $9 million against the cap if he stays — and $12 million against the cap if he is traded before June 1.

As we hear it, the primary factor for Ryan is that he’s hoping to clear out some of the guys who have contributed to the problems in the locker room over the past couple of years. Cromartie is regarded as one of those guys.

Which, of course, may not make it any easier to trade him.
    This is what I was hoping they would do all along. Cro is coming off his best season as a pro and his trade value should be at all time high. This, while knowing that Kyle Wilson actually played quite well this season also.

My hope is that Idzik decides to deal Cro, get rid of one of the problems within the lockerroom, and lock up Revis long term.

A guy like Cro can be replaced. it may take another 20 or so years to replace a guy like Revis and that's the big difference the way I see it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Michael Haynes, HOF CB, trade finalized after 12 weeks from Pats to Oakland. Pats got back a 1st in 1984 and a 2nd in 1985.

Herschel Walker got traded after week 5 from Dallas to the Vikings. Dallas got 3 1st and 2nd round picks, and a 3rd round pick among other things in return.
    Come on, at least come up with something when there was a salary cap. You are using the Herschel Walker trade as reason to trade Revis mid season? You think the climate in the NFL is anything like it was in 1994 or 1984? I would have thought you could come up with something better than that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    That's what I was thinking. He seems to be well liked.

I think people confuse having lots of kids with being a bad guy.
    He volunteered for special teams ie., Kickoff returns, wide receiver etc.

and he has a bad attitude.....I don't think so.