Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raiders got a 4th round pick for Randy Moss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Raiders got a 4th round pick for Randy Moss.
    To be fair that's only because he would reduce his salary for the Pats and no one else..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the Jets trade Cro without having reached an agreement with Revis on a contract extension, then it puts them at a worse bargaining situation. Cause I don't believe Jets want to pay Revis anywhere near $16.7 mil.

If Jets are able to sign Revis for a more friendly CAP figure first...then Cro should be traded.

IMO...I see an ASAP trade, so that Jets can save some $6 mil CAP space for 2013. And avoid a $9 mil dead money CAP hit in 2014.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    It's unbelievable the Revis haters don't even want to consider keeping Revis, but at the end of the day, it will cost us 3m to get rid of Revis and save us 1.25m to get rid of cromartie and over 8m next year. Cromartie is at his peak value while Revis is at his lowest value, but nothing will deter the Revis haters and they refuse to consider that Cromartie will cost us only slightly less than Revis to sign the following year when his contract is up.

Stop letting your hatred of Revis get in the way of your good judgement haters.
    Revis haters?

LOL

What's funny to me is that the Revis fanboys don't even want to consider trading him.

"Just pay him whatever he wants! Everyone knows you build a champion around a CB and Revis is da best CB everz!!!!"

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    This has got to count for something. Cromartie is passionate about being a Jet, defending his QB, he really loves playing in green. Revis loves the idea of being the Derek Jeter of the Jets franchise, not quite the same thing.

That said if Revis can be signed for 12.5 million a year, five years with 60 million guaranteed, trade Cromartie ...I say do it.

If not trade Revis after June first .... and sign Cromartie to an extension if he will sign for 8 millon a year ...

13 million or more a year on football player that does not play qb or rush a qb is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    I think $14M over 6 years with 30-40M guaranteed will do it.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    This has got to count for something. Cromartie is passionate about being a Jet, defending his QB, he really loves playing in green. Revis loves the idea of being the Derek Jeter of the Jets franchise, not quite the same thing.

That said if Revis can be signed for 12.5 million a year, five years with 60 million guaranteed, trade Cromartie ...I say do it.

If not trade Revis after June first .... and sign Cromartie to an extension if he will sign for 8 millon a year ...

13 million or more a year on football player that does not play qb or rush a qb is wrong, wrong, wrong.
    Cromartie will want over $10M per year. He is an all pro you know. I don't think that will escape his agent.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The Jets have to make a decision on Cromartie quickly b/c he gets a $3 million roster bonus on day 3 of the new year. Vontae Davis netted a 2nd round pick to the Dolphins and that was with 2 years left on his contract. Cromartie could get us a first and maybe more. He played like a top 5 CB in this league, Pro Bowler. I could easily see the Jets moving him if a nice market develops for him.

Then I could see the Jets letting the Revis situation play out over the first 4 games of the year in 2013, hopefully he regains his form, offer him a "fair" contract, $12.5-13 million per year, if he turns that down then move a healthy, back to normal Revis for max value. I think that would be the smart thing to do. You will then have money in the off-season of 2014 to sign a couple of CB's at $6-$8 million per and still save money while gaining more picks for 2014. How would an extra 1st in 2013 and an extra 1st, 3rd in 2014 sound? That's how you rebuild your roster.
    Agreed 100%!!! Nice job.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    16 million for Revis or 8 million for Cro?? Revis is better and can bring us twice as much. Cro costs half as much. Cro makes stupid statements, but won't holdout because his kids need money!! We have a luxury that most teams don't have. We can trade the best defensive player in football and still have the #2 ranked pass defense.
    Revis won't get 16M and Cro won't play for 8M when he gets his next contract. 16M is a number Revis threw out there to be the highest paid defensive player, but the Jets will likely make him the highest CB which will be more than the 11M Aso currently makes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Revis haters?

LOL

What's funny to me is that the Revis fanboys don't even want to consider trading him.

"Just pay him whatever he wants! Everyone knows you build a champion around a CB and Revis is da best CB everz!!!!"
    Holy moly you are like always wrong.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Revis comes back and is playing like the Revis of old, there is no way he is going to sign a "fair" contract as you say with the Jets, he is going to go to free agency. Plus, you dont get anywhere near fair trade value on a mid season trade with a guy who has less than a year remaining on his contract. You either sign him or trade him before the draft this year.
    Going to free agency means that he is risking getting hurt and never getting to that big contract. I think if the Jets are in the ballpark, he will sign this year. He's not going to get 16M that's just his starting point. Also fair is relative term, if he is made the highest paid CB in the NFL by a couple of mil, that would be fair in my opinion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis haters?

LOL

Maybe some Revis fan boys want to keep him at all costs, but most who want to keep him are not fan boys and would trade him for the right package. For me, that has to include at least one established player.

And there are some people who genuinely hate him and want him traded at all costs because he's "Mevi$" lol morons.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    And allocating almost 25 percent of your budget for two CB's is a dumb idea.
    Period.
    Agreed! That's why one or the other is gonna go.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Who hates Revis?? People just dont want to see Revis walk out the door and get nothing in return. People also do not want to just give Revis anything he wants and keep revisiting his contract every couple years.
    There's been all sort of disparaging comments thrown Revis's way. Some folks never got over the fact that he held out and missed training camp.

The Jets won't let him walk out the door for nothing. He will be resigned, or he'll be traded. To be traded the Jets will have to get significantly more than they would for Cromartie. I believe they are playing it smart and looking at all offers before they make a decision.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    So we lose 2 starters and use the savings to keep 1? That is so financially ass backwards it's not even funny. You might as well hire Tanny back. You do realize we would have to replace Holmes right and in your scenario do it without any money. Makes sense.
    Top 3 players in cap savings in '14:

Sanchez $8.3M
    Cromartie $9.5M
    Holmes $8.25M

Those 3 represent over $26M in savings next year. I think we can do much better on the Sanchez and Holmes front. I definitely see us replacing Sanchez and Holmes, and if we resign Revis, Cromartie is a goner.
    Last edited by Long Suffering Jets Fan; 01-27-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis haters?

LOL

I've been as vocal as anyone, and I would not rule out trading Revis, not at all, but to go to our best player and focus on him without looking at other options is just silly.

See what you can get for Revis, See what you can get for Cro, see what Revis is looking to get paid and make a decision. Don't just focus on Revis.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    Holy moly you are like always wrong.
    Either you're all for paying Revis a contract in the neighborhood of 6 years $100 million, or you're all for trading him to the highest bidder.

There is no middle ground.

What have Revis and his agents shown in the past to indicate that they're even the slightest bit flexible during negotiations?

Thinking for one second that he would sign for $12-13 million per is nothing more than pure fantasy. Revis won't take anything that we consider "reasonable" so why keep bringing it up?

Yes, Revis is the best at what he does, but there's no way in hell I'm giving a CB a contract on par with guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady who are star, Superbowl winning QB's. That's simply insane.

So please, tell me where I'm wrong?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Either you're all for paying Revis a contract in the neighborhood of 6 years $100 million, or you're all for trading him to the highest bidder.

What have Revis and his agents shown in the past to indicate that they're even the slightest bit flexible during negotiations?

Thinking for one second that he would sign for $12-13 million per is nothing more than pure fantasy. Revis won't take anything that we consider "reasonable" so why keep bringing it up?

Yes, Revis is the best at what he does, but there's no way in hell I'm giving a CB a contract on par with guys like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady who are star, Superbowl winning QB's. That's simply insane.

Yea, precisely. I'd be happy as a clam if 24 signed for 12 mill a year lol.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

My challenge would be this - you're asuming there will be no negotiating. At all. Yet in the past the two sides have negotiated to come to a deal.

Let me put it another way - say Revis says "$16m per year or I walk - no ifs nor buts", and NO TEAM is willing to pay him that. Does he walk away from the NFL? Or does he negotiate?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure, take away my only reason to watch five minutes of pro bowl yesterday and watch Cro block passes to Giants best receiver.

We should have traded holmes, revis, sanchez and never got tebow if I could go back 12 months. ,

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    My challenge would be this - you're asuming there will be no negotiating. At all. Yet in the past the two sides have negotiated to come to a deal.

Let me put it another way - say Revis says "$16m per year or I walk - no ifs nor buts", and NO TEAM is willing to pay him that. Does he walk away from the NFL? Or does he negotiate?
    No, they didn't negotiate to eventually come to a deal. Tannenbaum simply folded and gave into Revis' demands when the season was about to start.

And some team out there will definitely give Revis what he wants. Just look at a team like the Bucs, who are almost $50 million under the cap.