Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 94

Thread: Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Dumb idea ... It's what you are willing to allocate to the CB position as a unit ... Period.
    16 million for Revis or 8 million for Cro?? Revis is better and can bring us twice as much. Cro costs half as much. Cro makes stupid statements, but won't holdout because his kids need money!! We have a luxury that most teams don't have. We can trade the best defensive player in football and still have the #2 ranked pass defense.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    16 million for Revis or 8 million for Cro?? Revis is better and can bring us twice as much. Cro costs half as much. Cro makes stupid statements, but won't holdout because his kids need money!! We have a luxury that most teams don't have. We can trade the best defensive player in football and still have the #2 ranked pass defense.
    Many here forget that after the 2001 season in cap hell from the Tuna we had to let both DB's Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go to the new Houston Texans.. How did that affect us in 2002?? Thanks to a QB named Chadwick we won the East and made the playoffs.. Now I'm not saying Coleman or Glenn are anywhere near Revis's skill set but one CB is not the most important link on the team the QB is..
    Last edited by Savage69; 01-27-2013 at 09:44 AM.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TebowCan'tThrow View Post
    16 million for Revis or 8 million for Cro?? Revis is better and can bring us twice as much. Cro costs half as much. Cro makes stupid statements, but won't holdout because his kids need money!! We have a luxury that most teams don't have. We can trade the best defensive player in football and still have the #2 ranked pass defense.
    There's no way we will have the #2 ranked pass D next year - we'll be back to square one at safety if Landry is gone (which looks likely). And trading Revis will NOT solve this - we lose an extra $3m cap room this year as a result.

    Secondly, for all the hype about our #2 ranked pass D, it's our #20 ranked scoring D that we should be more aware of and more focussed on. We brought in Landry and Bell to bolster our D (which was also #20 in scoring D in 2011), but losing Revis meant we stayed put.

    In 4 years, our scoring D has gone from being #1, to #6, to #20 two years running. And trading our best defensive player is somehow going to make that better?

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Many here forget that after the 2001 season in cap hell from the Tuna we had to let both DB's Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go to the new Houston Texans.. How did that affect us in 2002?? Thanks to a QB named Chadwick we won the East and made the playoffs.. Now I'm not saying Coleman or Glenn are anywhere near Revis's skill set but one CB is not the most important link on the team the QB is..
    Which is why it's so depressing that we're likely stuck with Marky Mark next year due to the Tannenbaum Legacy.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Vinegar Hill, Brooklyn ...
    Posts
    2,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Many here forget that after the 2001 season in cap hell from the Tuna we had to let both DB's Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman go to the new Houston Texans.. How did that affect us in 2002?? Thanks to a QB named Chadwick we won the East and made the playoffs.. Now I'm not saying Coleman or Glenn are anywhere near Revis's skill set but one CB is not the most important link on the team the QB is..
    That was a painful loss for Jets fans. If I remember rightly Glenn's salary was so high the Jets front offices gambled in exposing both Glenn (and Coleman) that the Texans would not take him on their inaugural franchise draft.

    Aaron Glenn was very, very good and although Coleman was inconsistent he had his moments.

  6. #26
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Williamstown NJ
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be in favor of trading Cromartie. He will be 29 next season. He is coming off his best season as a Jet and it is unlikely he can replicate the season he just had again. His trade valve couldn't get any higher than it is right now. The draft is deep at corner. Why not?

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    That was a painful loss for Jets fans. If I remember rightly Glenn's salary was so high the Jets front offices gambled in exposing both Glenn (and Coleman) that the Texans would not take him on their inaugural franchise draft.

    Aaron Glenn was very, very good and although Coleman was inconsistent he had his moments.
    Last 3 years with the Jets he had 12 picks..

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets have to make a decision on Cromartie quickly b/c he gets a $3 million roster bonus on day 3 of the new year. Vontae Davis netted a 2nd round pick to the Dolphins and that was with 2 years left on his contract. Cromartie could get us a first and maybe more. He played like a top 5 CB in this league, Pro Bowler. I could easily see the Jets moving him if a nice market develops for him.

    Then I could see the Jets letting the Revis situation play out over the first 4 games of the year in 2013, hopefully he regains his form, offer him a "fair" contract, $12.5-13 million per year, if he turns that down then move a healthy, back to normal Revis for max value. I think that would be the smart thing to do. You will then have money in the off-season of 2014 to sign a couple of CB's at $6-$8 million per and still save money while gaining more picks for 2014. How would an extra 1st in 2013 and an extra 1st, 3rd in 2014 sound? That's how you rebuild your roster.

  9. #29
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The Jets have to make a decision on Cromartie quickly b/c he gets a $3 million roster bonus on day 3 of the new year. Vontae Davis netted a 2nd round pick to the Dolphins and that was with 2 years left on his contract. Cromartie could get us a first and maybe more. He played like a top 5 CB in this league, Pro Bowler. I could easily see the Jets moving him if a nice market develops for him.

    Then I could see the Jets letting the Revis situation play out over the first 4 games of the year in 2013, hopefully he regains his form, offer him a "fair" contract, $12.5-13 million per year, if he turns that down then move a healthy, back to normal Revis for max value. I think that would be the smart thing to do. You will then have money in the off-season of 2014 to sign a couple of CB's at $6-$8 million per and still save money while gaining more picks for 2014. How would an extra 1st in 2013 and an extra 1st, 3rd in 2014 sound? That's how you rebuild your roster.
    He was promised by Tanny they would do a contact before camp 2013.. I know we have a new GM but to Mevis a promise is a promise unless it's in a contract that stops him from holding out..

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He was promised by Tanny they would do a contact before camp 2013.. I know we have a new GM but to Mevis a promise is a promise unless it's in a contract that stops him from holding out..
    Who cares? Let him holdout. That will trigger the final 3 years of his contract and make them not voidable. Then his trade value will sky rocket. The problem with the Jets over the past 4 years is that they let the players run things. Somebody, Idzik, needs to step up and take control. Players are replaceable, even the best CB in the league is replaceable. If you can draft a top notch pass rusher it will make an average CB look like one of the better CB's in the league.

    And Revis will not sign a new contract before he is healthy. Unless he is nervous that he won't recover. If he can prove that he is 100% healthy then he can demand the contract that he wants.

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Who cares? Let him holdout. That will trigger the final 3 years of his contract and make them not voidable. Then his trade value will sky rocket. The problem with the Jets over the past 4 years is that they let the players run things. Somebody, Idzik, needs to step up and take control. Players are replaceable, even the best CB in the league is replaceable. If you can draft a top notch pass rusher it will make an average CB look like one of the better CB's in the league.

    And Revis will not sign a new contract before he is healthy. Unless he is nervous that he won't recover. If he can prove that he is 100% healthy then he can demand the contract that he wants.
    I totally agree but Revis will never be held to that 3 year deal for holding out.. AP's great year running took a lot of worry out about knee surgery, so I still think if Revis doesn't get a deal by Aug he doesn't show up.. Unless of course he's on another team lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills..

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    The Jets have to make a decision on Cromartie quickly b/c he gets a $3 million roster bonus on day 3 of the new year. Vontae Davis netted a 2nd round pick to the Dolphins and that was with 2 years left on his contract. Cromartie could get us a first and maybe more. He played like a top 5 CB in this league, Pro Bowler. I could easily see the Jets moving him if a nice market develops for him.

    Then I could see the Jets letting the Revis situation play out over the first 4 games of the year in 2013, hopefully he regains his form, offer him a "fair" contract, $12.5-13 million per year, if he turns that down then move a healthy, back to normal Revis for max value. I think that would be the smart thing to do. You will then have money in the off-season of 2014 to sign a couple of CB's at $6-$8 million per and still save money while gaining more picks for 2014. How would an extra 1st in 2013 and an extra 1st, 3rd in 2014 sound? That's how you rebuild your roster.
    If Revis comes back and is playing like the Revis of old, there is no way he is going to sign a "fair" contract as you say with the Jets, he is going to go to free agency. Plus, you dont get anywhere near fair trade value on a mid season trade with a guy who has less than a year remaining on his contract. You either sign him or trade him before the draft this year.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    If Revis comes back and is playing like the Revis of old, there is no way he is going to sign a "fair" contract as you say with the Jets, he is going to go to free agency. Plus, you dont get anywhere near fair trade value on a mid season trade with a guy who has less than a year remaining on his contract. You either sign him or trade him before the draft this year.
    +1 Write that in stone..

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,873
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Dumb idea ... It's what you are willing to allocate to the CB position as a unit ... Period.
    And allocating almost 25 percent of your budget for two CB's is a dumb idea.
    Period.

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You either sign him or trade him before the draft this year.
    Revis will NEVER sign before he is 100% healthy, unless the Jets offer him the amount he apparently wants, $100 million. So then you have to trade him. And I honestly don't know why Revis would sign with the Jets. Why wouldn't he go to free agency? If he hits free agency there will be a bidding war for him and he may get more then he apparently wants now. He holds ALL of the leverage in contract negotiations. That's why you have to trade him now and get what you can for him. Why people think he will just automatically sign with the Jets is beyond me? Maybe his agents told the Jets, "we want a 6 year deal north of $96 million or we're not signing". They could do that, they have the leverage since the Jets can't franchise tag him. So maybe that is why they are putting feelers out in regards to a trade.
    Last edited by Choon328; 01-27-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Revis will NEVER sign before he is 100% healthy, unless the Jets offer him the amount he apparently wants, $100 million. So then you have to trade him. And I honestly don't know why Revis would sign with the Jets. Why wouldn't he go to free agency? If he hits free agency there will be a bidding war for him and he may get more then he apparently wants now. He holds ALL of the leverage in contract negotiations. That's why you have to trade him.
    So why did you come up with that let Revis play for 4 games scenario and propose signing him or trading him mid season?

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Posts
    1,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    So why did you come up with that let Revis play for 4 games scenario and propose signing him or trading him mid season?
    I proposed offering him a "fair" deal and if he doesn't accept that then you trade him because you won't get max value while he is injured. If he can prove that he is healthy you will get a much better package for him. It's 12 games instead of 16, not much difference. And a team that is willing to trade for him would most likely be able to offer him the $100 million contract that he wants. And last I checked 4 isn't half of 17.
    Last edited by Choon328; 01-27-2013 at 11:06 AM.

  18. #38
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    981
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL. Cro has been one of the best lockerroom guys since he has been here. Unless we are going to hang him for that joke he made about being the 2nd best WR on the team. He did have some issues in San Diego but that was when he was immature and before he stabilized his personal life.

    Typical ignorant Florio.
    Unless you're in the locker room you don't know what kind of a guy he is nor do I. As far as his personal life. I believe he has had two more kids since he got here. Not exactly stability. He has also made some comments to the media as you mentioned.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,005
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Because you won't get max value while he is injured. If he can prove that he is healthy you will get a much better package for him. It's 12 games instead of 16, not much difference. And a team that is willing to trade for him would most likely be able to offer him the $100 million contract that he wants.
    I doubt a team trades for Revis once the season starts they would want him in the fold to blend with their defense.. Defense is more then just covering 1 w/r running down the field.. If Revis plays for the Jets next year and doesn't hold out I think he leaves as a FA and the Jets get a comp pick..

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Because you won't get max value while he is injured. If he can prove that he is healthy you will get a much better package for him. It's 12 games instead of 16, not much difference. And a team that is willing to trade for him would most likely be able to offer him the $100 million contract that he wants.
    Mid season trades yield very little in value. Revis is coming off an ACL injury, not open heart surgery. Revis earns half of his salary before the season even starts, it would be beyond foolish for the Jets to go into the start of the season with Revis' status as is.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us