Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To everyone saying that the Jets were 2nd in Pass Defense without Revis last year....

To everyone saying that the Jets were 2nd in Pass Defense without Revis last year....

.... You do realize we had a 3 game stint against Lindley, Henne, and Locker right?

Now I know we played who we were up against, but lets be real. Against the Pats, San Fran, Seattle(aka any team above .500), the secondary didn't look all that good.

I'm just saying for anyone for the Revis trade who says "Well we had the 2nd best pass defense last year"! I highly encourage them to take a look at who we played and you will notice the difference in the secondary between below .500 teams and above .500 teams.

P.S We're probably losing Landry and maybe Bell, so trading Revis makes no sense.

P.P.S Were also playing the NFC North next year (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler) (C. Johnson, B. Marshall). I can pretty much guarantee if we trade Revis, we will not even be in the top 15 in pass defense next year.

landry and bell will be back.

someone mentioned cutting smiths,pace,scott $35m cap space cleared.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    .... You do realize we had a 3 game stint against Lindley, Henne, and Locker right?

Now I know we played who we were up against, but lets be real. Against the Pats, San Fran, Seattle(aka any team above .500), the secondary didn't look all that good.

I'm just saying for anyone for the Revis trade who says "Well we had the 2nd best pass defense last year"! I highly encourage them to take a look at who we played and you will notice the difference in the secondary between below .500 teams and above .500 teams.

P.S We're probably losing Landry and maybe Bell, so trading Revis makes no sense.

P.P.S Were also playing the NFC North next year (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler) (C. Johnson, B. Marshall). I can pretty much guarantee if we trade Revis, we will not even be in the top 15 in pass defense next year.
    QFT.

Also, in four years we've gone from #1 scoring D to #6, to #20 the last two years. Not a positive trend. Trading away our talent is only going to make it worse, not better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    landry and bell will be back.

Why are you so sure Landry will be back?

This is his last chance at a huge payday in his NFL career.

Some team out there will offer him a lot more money then the Jets can afford based on his play last year.

Landry is a gonner.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Why are you so sure Landry will be back?

This is his last chance at a huge payday in his NFL career.

Some team out there will offer him a lot more money then the Jets can afford based on his play last year.

Landry is a gonner.
    Jets can pay Landry if they want to.

Hall Of Fame

I was thinking about that the other day. If we trade Revis and our pass defense faulters everyone will call it a mistake. But you have to take into account the opponent. Our pass defense will likely have a worse ranking even if we keep Revis.

A Top 15 defense is plenty good enough in today's NFL. Our problem is offense. If we combine a Top 15 offense with a Top 15 defense we will contend for a playoff spot. Unfortunately that is not going to happen with the QBs that are currently on our roster.

I wasn't impressed with Belll this past season so I don't care if we bring him back or not.......

I think we lost Landry when he made the pro-bowl.

All Pro
    Our numbers against the pass were really good but for the first time in years we were abysmal against the run. A big part of my opinion was that we played so many coverage people to make up for the loss of Revis. Think about how often we played in a nickel package throughout the year.

Trade Revis and re up Laron.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Our numbers against the pass were really good but for the first time in years we were abysmal against the run. A big part of my opinion was that we played so many coverage people to make up for the loss of Revis. Think about how often we played in a nickel package throughout the year.
    Also, the Jets were 3rd lowest in pass attempts against, 3rd highest in rushing attempts against.

The Jets are going to be bad next season with or without Revis. Should we celebrate because we will be a more competitive bad team with Revis in 2013? No thank you.

He will be a 30 year old CB with a cap busting contract by the time the Jets become good again.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    The Jets are going to be bad next season with or without Revis. Should we celebrate because we will be a more competitive bad team with Revis in 2013? No thank you.

He will be a 30 year old CB with a cap busting contract by the time the Jets become good again.
    So what deion, darrell green, chuck and bailey ect.. has held up pretty good well into there 30's

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Trade Revis and re up Laron.
    Trading Revis costs us an EXTRA $3m against the cap ... so even less money to offer to Landry.

AGREED. Very good post that pretty much points out what is between the lines. Sometimes statistics do not tell the whole truth. In this case, I think that's what is happening.

Trading Revis could provide the team with a lot of ammunition in this years draft, but at what cost to our secondary? I think the toll would be huge. I also do not believe there's any team with an attractive enough offer to make trading Revis worth it. His value to the defense is immeasurable IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    So what deion, darrell green, chuck and bailey ect.. has held up pretty good well into there 30's
    We're they all commanding franchise QB money in their 30s?

Stupid GARY Myers says he can get the Jets under the cap in 5 min. NO **** Gary, that's the easy part. Hello, how about replacing those bodies unless you propose on playing a 4-3 defense with one LB moron. Listen, we have cap issues and talent issues. We need a lot of new players and we have a lot of guys that are being over paid. We all know the names. Unfortunately, Revis would be the one guy worth the big $ but in order to rebuild we need more picks and more cap space. We ain't winning squat in the next 2 years. Time to trade our best asset and get some picks and space.

Quote Originally Posted by Sec340 View Post
    Stupid GARY Myers says he can get the Jets under the cap in 5 min. NO **** Gary, that's the easy part. Hello, how about replacing those bodies unless you propose on playing a 4-3 defense with one LB moron. Listen, we have cap issues and talent issues. We need a lot of new players and we have a lot of guys that are being over paid. We all know the names. Unfortunately, Revis would be the one guy worth the big $ but in order to rebuild we need more picks and more cap space. We ain't winning squat in the next 2 years. Time to trade our best asset and get some picks and space.
    Since Gary Myers considers himself to be smart enough to succeed as a GM someone should ask him if he would still do the following;

1. Draft Matt Leinart ahead of D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
    going into that draft he ripped the Jets as an inept, same old Jets franchise for passing over a franchise QB like Matt Leinart for Ferguson.

2. Not make the Curtis Martin trade with the Patriots.
    Said Martin was not special enough to warrant what the Jets gave up in a trade. On a completely unrelated note, that Hall of Fame blazer looked good on Martin.

3. Still fire Tom Coughlin.
    He screamed that Tom Coughlin lost the team and would not succeed long term with the Giants, then he went on to win two Super Bowls. Myers is consistent though; he went on a campaign to fire Coughlin AFTER he won a Super Bowl as well.

To recap; If myers were responsible for running the new york football teams over the past two decades its quite possible that the Giants would not have won two super bowls. And the Jets would not have had that special 1998 run or had the services of a hall of fame player. The Jets would also be responsible for drafting one of the biggest busts in recent draft history.

Keep up the good work, Gary Myers; accountability is overrated.....
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-27-2013 at 02:35 PM.

The truth is that anyone who is hanging their hat on the fact that the Jets were "2nd in Pass Defense" is cherry-picking meaningless and self serving statistics.

How was the run defense? What about the scoring d? Forcing turnovers? The defense, overall, was borderline bad last year.

Highly unlikely we can pay Landry. I'd rather see us spend the $ on a veteran FA OLB like Barwin, resign Bell, and draft a Safety. We cannot go into the season with 2 rookie OLB and I don't want to see us bringing back Pace and Thomas.