Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To everyone saying that the Jets were 2nd in Pass Defense without Revis last year....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I brought this point up as well earlier in the week. The Jets played 11 games this year against teams in the bottom 1/3 of passing offenses. 12 if you include the Rams, which were just outside the bottom 1/3.

Against the 4 Teams that had a passing pulse(NE, Pitt and Houston) the Jets allowed 266 yards a game and gave up 8 passing TD's with only 1 pick.

It's nice to use that argument that the pass defense was just as good without him, but it's simply not true.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Why are you so sure Landry will be back?

This is his last chance at a huge payday in his NFL career.

Some team out there will offer him a lot more money then the Jets can afford based on his play last year.

Landry is a gonner.
    as well he should be.yes,he played great.but his biggest asset is what the nfl is trying to do away with.how many 15 yarders were thrown at the ravens safties in the championship game? i counted at least 3. you dont pay a huge contract for a position that is being outlawed.same reason you dont throw huge money at rb's. its a passing league now.pay revis top dollar(not a penny more),keep cromartie,and draft a cover safety.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    The Jets are going to be bad next season with or without Revis. Should we celebrate because we will be a more competitive bad team with Revis in 2013? No thank you.

He will be a 30 year old CB with a cap busting contract by the time the Jets become good again.
    That's not a good viewpoint at all.

In your logic then, the Cardinals should trade Fitzgerald so they can get a QB. Or the Lions should trade Megatron to shore up their defensive woes.

Point blank, you pay your playmakers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post

In your logic then, the Cardinals should trade Fitzgerald so they can get a QB. Or the Lions should trade Megatron to shore up their defensive woes.

Well these guys will tell you that its not the same because its an offensive player and to these guys, offense is everything and defense doesnt matter anymore.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis is not a playmaker.

He takes one guy out of the game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Since Gary Myers considers himself to be smart enough to succeed as a GM someone should ask him if he would still do the following;

1. Draft Matt Leinart ahead of D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
    going into that draft he ripped the Jets as an inept, same old Jets franchise for passing over a franchise QB like Matt Leinart for Ferguson.

2. Not make the Curtis Martin trade with the Patriots.
    Said Martin was not special enough to warrant what the Jets gave up in a trade. On a completely unrelated note, that Hall of Fame blazer looked good on Martin.

3. Still fire Tom Coughlin.
    He screamed that Tom Coughlin lost the team and would not succeed long term with the Giants, then he went on to win two Super Bowls. Myers is consistent though; he went on a campaign to fire Coughlin AFTER he won a Super Bowl as well.

To recap; If myers were responsible for running the new york football teams over the past two decades its quite possible that the Giants would not have won two super bowls. And the Jets would not have had that special 1998 run or had the services of a hall of fame player. The Jets would also be responsible for drafting one of the biggest busts in recent draft history.

Keep up the good work, Gary Myers; accountability is overrated.....

...and pull his wig off too

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... You do realize we had a 3 game stint against Lindley, Henne, and Locker right?

P.S We're probably losing Landry and maybe Bell, so trading Revis makes no sense.
    +1

Thank you. This is the best thread I've read on JI in a while.

Jets Secondary - Landry - Revis = UGLY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

That Namath guy was way overrated to. Won just 1 Super Bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Well these guys will tell you that its not the same because its an offensive player and to these guys, offense is everything and defense doesnt matter anymore.
    We should draft an offensive player in rd 1:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He takes half a field away, and forces teams to throw to lesser receivers.

You are aware Revis is the reason the Pats drafted two tight ends in one draft, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

He's petty good with the ball in his hands when he makes an INT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    .... You do realize we had a 3 game stint against Lindley, Henne, and Locker right?

Now I know we played who we were up against, but lets be real. Against the Pats, San Fran, Seattle(aka any team above .500), the secondary didn't look all that good.

I'm just saying for anyone for the Revis trade who says "Well we had the 2nd best pass defense last year"! I highly encourage them to take a look at who we played and you will notice the difference in the secondary between below .500 teams and above .500 teams.

P.S We're probably losing Landry and maybe Bell, so trading Revis makes no sense.

P.P.S Were also playing the NFC North next year (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler) (C. Johnson, B. Marshall). I can pretty much guarantee if we trade Revis, we will not even be in the top 15 in pass defense next year.
    You think everyone's schedule is full of games vs the packers/saints/patriots/giants and other Pro Bowl QBs?

Imagine defenses that got to play the cardinals twice or Henne/Gabbert twice etc..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets were 8-8 with Revis for the whole season and 6-10 without him, but with the worst starting QB in NFL. The fact that they were only 2 games worse is considerable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Context is everything. If a team is about to enter into a period of rebuilding and the great player (who is not a franchise QB) will be 30 something when the team becomes a contender, then yes, you need to consider a trade.

And if that same player expects to sign a contract that makes him the highest paid defensive player in the HISTORY of the sport, and for the bulk of that contract he will be in his thirties, then yes I would trade him if it could land a franchise QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You are aware Revis is the reason the Pats drafted two tight ends in one draft, right?
    Before Revis was in the 07 Draft BB had drafted 7 TE's since 2000 ..He drafted 2 in 06 alone before Revis was a thought in any draft.. BB does TE's like Rex does DB's..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And the Jets also played Brady twice, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Luck (Colts had 7th ranked passing offense), and Schaub. They actually played well in most of those games.

They were ranked 2nd in pass defense. We can dissect the stats all we want, but the Jets defense is not the problem (without Revis). I want Revis too, but being ranked top 3 or top 10 in defense is not going to add to the win column with the offense that the Jets field on a weekly basis.

Most important statistic: Jets were 6-10 last season. Not good. Fix that statistic, and dissect that one. I would also submit that the offense was worse than the ranking it received as well if we're going to question rankings.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I know we played who we were up against, but lets be real. Against the Pats, San Fran, Seattle(aka any team above .500), the secondary didn't look all that good.

I'm just saying for anyone for the Revis trade who says "Well we had the 2nd best pass defense last year"! I highly encourage them to take a look at who we played and you will notice the difference in the secondary between below .500 teams and above .500 teams.

P.P.S Were also playing the NFC North next year (Rodgers, Stafford, Cutler) (C. Johnson, B. Marshall). I can pretty much guarantee if we trade Revis, we will not even be in the top 15 in pass defense next year.
    Thank you....

This was the very point that our departed ST coach was making about a week ago....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the performance of the secondary is tied to the performance of the dline so in a sense you are right. the dline was pretty good for the most part but also was overmatched against sf and the patsies. alo every team plays more than a few bad team so the jets rating is valid.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please explain to me how one CB can "take away half the field"?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please explain to me how one CB can "take away half the field"?
    Remember when Moss was on the Patriots and he couldn't be stopped ? Yeah, Revis did. I don't think Moss, A. Johnson, C. Johnson, etc line up in the slot. So yeah, I would say half the field is a good thing to say ; )