Thread: HOF type players ever traded in their prime?

HOF type players ever traded in their prime?

Amazing what they are doing today regarding ACL injuries.. Although it is a factor.... how much of one not sure..

I struggle with the notion of trading a HOF type player.... I Think Revis has the make-up of one... I think he deserved to be well compensated at his level.... He is not just the top CB in league, but is one of Leagues Top Players..

he has had some messy hold-outs.. so what!!! the guy plays better than anyone!!!!!

sign and pay him....

but again... this is the JETS.... NY Media.. poison recipe....

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Amazing what they are doing today regarding ACL injuries.. Although it is a factor.... how much of one not sure..

I struggle with the notion of trading a HOF type player.... I Think Revis has the make-up of one... I think he deserved to be well compensated at his level.... He is not just the top CB in league, but is one of Leagues Top Players..

he has had some messy hold-outs.. so what!!! the guy plays better than anyone!!!!!

sign and pay him....

The problem comes when you try to figure out what is "well compensated" and what is "insanely compensated". I do not think there is even a single poster on these boards who would not give Revis $10 million per year or about 8% of our total cap. If you are talking about $16 million per year then that is around 13% of out total salary cap or one dollar out of every 7.6 dollars we spend. Spending that much on one player leaves us that much weaker everywhere else. Either in terms of starting talent or in terms of roster depth (both big issues for this team).

All into one player.

Not a franchise QB.

Not a franchise LT.

Not a franchise pass rusher.

So no... it is total and complete insanity to pay a CB that kind of money. Period.

So no. DO NOT PAY HIM. Just do not do it. It is STUPIDITY. If the four syllables in that last word are too much for you then I will try to break it down for you.

Stew-pid-itty.

And there you have it.

The Jets need to get whatever they can for him and let him feel disrespected by another team.

Jets Insider VIP

sign and pay him.... and handicap the team for the next 5 years.

Hurt the remaining team for 1 player who does only ONE thing.

Fixed

BTW...The cap dictates my position, NOT emotion or history before the cap.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

sign and pay him....

Even Wayne Gretsky was traded.. Someone should start a poll, would you be happier having Revis on the team and going 6-10 or 8-8 for the rest of his career or trading him and trying to make the team better.. I bet many would take Revis and losing as long as he was a Jet.. And no paying him whatever he wants and still trying to make the team better isn't a option..

Hall Of Fame
    TIME FOR A MASSIVE REVIS MERGE.

MODS.

Banned

sign and pay him....

Champ Bailey, end of thread.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    The problem comes when you try to figure out what is "well compensated" and what is "insanely compensated". I do not think there is even a single poster on these boards who would not give Revis $10 million per year or about 8% of our total cap. If you are talking about $16 million per year then that is around 13% of out total salary cap or one dollar out of every 7.6 dollars we spend. Spending that much on one player leaves us that much weaker everywhere else. Either in terms of starting talent or in terms of roster depth (both big issues for this team).

All into one player.

Not a franchise QB.

Not a franchise LT.

Not a franchise pass rusher.

So no... it is total and complete insanity to pay a CB that kind of money. Period.

So no. DO NOT PAY HIM. Just do not do it. It is STUPIDITY. If the four syllables in that last word are too much for you then I will try to break it down for you.

Stew-pid-itty.

And there you have it.

The Jets need to get whatever they can for him and let him feel disrespected by another team.
    Has there even been a breakdown done of percentage of salary towards units and individual player positions that teams should try and adhere to?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Champ Bailey, end of thread.
    Marshall Faulk was a pro bowl rb his first 2 years in the league and was traded after his 5th year to the Rams.. Revis only made the Pro Bowl once in his first 2 years..

sign and pay him....

Didn't look up the lists, but...
    Sonny Jurgensen, Bobby Layne. Ollie Matson, John Riggins, Paul Warfield.

And, of course, Wilt Chamberlain.

These were trades. In the era of FA, HOF guys just go. Too numerous to count.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post

Babe Ruth, Patrick Roy, Kareem, all the great Edmonton Oilers

No sane fan wants the Jets to let Mevi$ go with no return a la Shaq, lebron, Reggie white -

I know SOJF pukes want that to happen for spite
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 01-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.

All Pro

Babe Ruth, Patrick Roy, Kareem, Melo, all the great Edmonton Oilers

Do you want the Jets to let Mevi$ go with no return a la Shaq, lebron, Reggie white

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Ok since none of you posted it yet.. Curtis James Martin Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Babe Ruth, Patrick Roy, Kareem, all the great Edmonton Oilers

No sane fan wants the Jets to let Mevi$ go with no return a la Shaq, lebron, Reggie white -

I know SOJF pukes want that to happen for spite

He is coming off an injury. Why would a GM take that salary and give up a pick(s) for a guy that MAY not be able to perform. BTW, he IS NOT the best defensive player in the NFL. Sorry, you need a DPOY award to say that.
    WAS the best defensive player on the Jets.

Keep him this year. If he pulls shenanigans at contract time, see ya.

All Pro

Smile

He is coming off an injury. Why would a GM take that salary and give up a pick(s) for a guy that MAY not be able to perform. BTW, he IS NOT the best defensive player in the NFL. Sorry, you need a DPOY award to say that.

As someone noted a conditional trade can be made. Let this unnecessary cancer who already screwed up one near-great season (2010) be someone else's headache - if the Jets can backload this frontloaded punk into a cannon and shoot him far away from AFC East, giants, Pittsburgh while they can control the destination so much the better

he doesnt have a dpoy award,but he was brutally robbed of one in 2009,no?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    As someone noted a conditional trade can be made. Let this unnecessary cancer who already screwed up one near-great season (2010) be someone else's headache - if the Jets can backload this frontloaded punk into a cannon and shoot him far away from AFC East, giants, Pittsburgh while they can control the destination so much the better
    Now he's a cancer? I seriously hate being a Jets fan sometimes.