Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Rex's bluster part of the reason for salary cap problems?

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Only difference between Kubiak and Rex is Rex doesn't keep his mouth shut. That and Rex is probably a better HC. If only Houston had a better HC and QB that wasn't soft they're probably playing next Sunday.
    You are very probably right. I like Rex better as a coach than Kubiak but Rex needs to stick to coaching. Dont you feel that with Tannenbaum Rex had a bunch of input as to what players to keep - maybe at all costs - and who to draft? I think Rex did and thats what my whole point was about. If Rex can stick to coacing he will be fine. The new GM wont be listening a whole lot to Rex in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    You are very probably right. I like Rex better as a coach than Kubiak but Rex needs to stick to coaching. Dont you feel that with Tannenbaum Rex had a bunch of input as to what players to keep - maybe at all costs - and who to draft? I think Rex did and thats what my whole point was about. If Rex can stick to coacing he will be fine. The new GM wont be listening a whole lot to Rex in my opinion.
    We'd better pray that Idzik doesn't listen to Rex's personnel input.

Rex Ryan is a great football coach - a football coach teaches the game and motivates his players.
    Right off the bat I don't agree with you, a coach has to average at least 10 wins a season and win a Super Bowl to be considered great

Jets Insider VIP
    I appreciate your support on this topic but it seems i'm fighting a losing battle. I like Rex as a coach and I hope the Jets get turned around but I still feel that Rex is just as much to blame as Mr. T on this cap mess. Rex had Mr T's ear. Rex's style of coaching has brought diminishing returns to this Jet team - evident by their record. 9-7 to 11-5 to 8-8 and then 6-10. Did Rex suddenly forget how to coach? - No! The team had less talent. Why? Because of the large contracts Rex and Mr T. gave to the wrong players at the wrong time and the lack of draft picks. But none is this mess is Rex's fault. Its all Mr T's. Thats what everyone is telling me so far on this post and who am I to question Mainejet and Savage69 and PatsFanTX and Vinnys Niece. Its not like Im a football coach and I own my own corporation and I know alot about business and those guys are pot smoking construction workers. I'm glad thats not the case cause then maybe I was right. But they all say that Rex has no blame here so I guess I will just have to believe them!
    I'm with you.

I like Rex and his bravado but there is a downside to it. And you have a strong point in your argument. +1

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    What does Rex have to do with cap problems?

We're in cap hell because of Tanny spending money like a drunken sailor.
    its laughable how people even mention Rex having anything to do with contracts.. Thats pretty impressive, according to some people Rex went from a Dcord to Head coach/GM in 1 year..

You have nothing to offer. Just like a Belicheck interview.

BB does it on purpose though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    its laughable how people even mention Rex having anything to do with contracts.. Thats pretty impressive, according to some people Rex went from a Dcord to Head coach/GM in 1 year..
    Rex had plenty of input into player procurement, what coach doesn't? You think Tanny went to the ravens for Scott and leonard or did he do that on Rex's behest? What about Cro? That again was pure Rex and his stated need for 2 great corners to make his D run.

When Holmes was traded for, was it not Rex that said it was due to him running wild on the ravens when Rex was the coach? This year during camp he said that hill was the only guy that was taken that was not his choice, and that the scouts pushed for him.

Rex told Tanny who he needed and who to sign. Tanny had no backbone to stand up to Rex and tell him that he can't get every guy he wants.

And no one said he was just a Def cood, he was always the HC, he just ignored the half of the game he knows nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Rex had plenty of input into player procurement, what coach doesn't? You think Tanny went to the ravens for Scott and leonard or did he do that on Rex's behest? What about Cro? That again was pure Rex and his stated need for 2 great corners to make his D run.

When Holmes was traded for, was it not Rex that said it was due to him running wild on the ravens when Rex was the coach? This year during camp he said that hill was the only guy that was taken that was not his choice, and that the scouts pushed for him.

Rex told Tanny who he needed and who to sign. Tanny had no backbone to stand up to Rex and tell him that he can't get every guy he wants.

And no one said he was just a Def cood, he was always the HC, he just ignored the half of the game he knows nothing about.
    Wow. Your points are even stronger than mine and you are so right. I will even take it a step further. Rex is the guy that said Tebow was a nightmare to prepare for. Rex said Preparing for Tebow took a ton of xtra time for his defense. Rex was most likely behind the whole Tebow idea. Rex was behind Scott and Holmes and the Kyle Wilson draft pick I believe. I remember after that pick Rex was saying how happy he was and never thought Wilson would drop that far so either Rex was blustering because he wanted a different player or he really thought Wilson was the second coming of Revis. Make no mistake this is Rex's team. Rex made the calls. Mr T did the paperwork.

Wow. Your points are even stronger than mine and you are so right. I will even take it a step further. Rex is the guy that said Tebow was a nightmare to prepare for. Rex said Preparing for Tebow took a ton of xtra time for his defense. Rex was most likely behind the whole Tebow idea. Rex was behind Scott and Holmes and the Kyle Wilson draft pick I believe. I remember after that pick Rex was saying how happy he was and never thought Wilson would drop that far so either Rex was blustering because he wanted a different player or he really thought Wilson was the second coming of Revis. Make no mistake this is Rex's team. Rex made the calls. Mr T did the paperwork.
    lol this is comical.. The unbiased world knows now tebow was pushed onto woody by Mike T. We heard th rumors Woody even wanted tebow to start if sanchez couldnt turn it around.. We heard from woody how "you can never have enough tebow" Rex had plenty of opportunities to pull Mark for tebow but didnt... I even thought he should have because nobody coul have plaed worse than mark..

Yes rex was in favor of drafting wilson. and he stepped up this year.. Not great pick but not a bad one either taking him at the bottom of 1st round..

Rex was the guy who wanted Wilkerson (great pick at bottom 1st), coples.. and personally worked him out. Obviously Rex has a lot of influence with D decisions and rightfully so. He wasnt in favor of of trading up for Hill but was Mike T did anyway.

Ofcourse he has input, especially on defense..but hes not th guy Royally F...ing the roster with bad contracts and lack of picks..
    trading for holmes was a great move.. We gave up a 5th rounder? Holmes played a big part getting us bac to AFCC. We needed to keep him for mark.. Rex wasnt the guy who gave holmes that insane contract..

what about Cro? hes doing well..

Rex did bring in leonard and scott, who both provided crucial leadership taking the calls on D and helping the rest of the D players learn rex's system.. Rex took mangini's #17 ranked Defense, #18th in 07? and made it #1.. Dont credit rex, leonard and scott were just that amazing..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Ofcourse he has input, especially on defense..but hes not th guy Royally F...ing the roster with bad contracts and lack of picks..
    trading for holmes was a great move.. We gave up a 5th rounder? Holmes played a big part getting us bac to AFCC. We needed to keep him for mark.. Rex wasnt the guy who gave holmes that insane contract..

what about Cro? hes doing well..

Rex did bring in leonard and scott, who both provided crucial leadership taking the calls on D and helping the rest of the D players learn rex's system.. Rex took mangini's #17 ranked Defense, #18th in 07? and made it #1.. Dont credit rex, leonard and scott were just that amazing..
    I give Rex all the credit in the world as being a superior def co-od. I am questioning HC and GM decisions not his game planning.

Tanny wanted Tebow? please that has Woody written all over it. I don't think Rex pushed for it, and i think the "up to 20 plays a game" crap may have just been to help sell Tebow to the fans 1/2 of which did not want him on the team.

And I am not saying that Rex choices for players were bad choices, they may have leaned to heavy to the defensive side but the picks were not horrible.

He just let the offense go to ****.

I give Rex all the credit in the world as being a superior def co-od. I am questioning HC and GM decisions not his game planning.

Tanny wanted Tebow? please that has Woody written all over it. I don't think Rex pushed for it, and i think the "up to 20 plays a game" crap may have just been to help sell Tebow to the fans 1/2 of which did not want him on the team.

And I am not saying that Rex choices for players were bad choices, they may have leaned to heavy to the defensive side but the picks were not horrible.

He just let the offense go to ****.
    I agree woody was a big part of tebow coming here. he signed off on it and had to eat the million signing bonus they gave stanton.. also forgot to mention Sparano, I remember saying he really wanted tebow.. Sparano hailed himself as the father of the wildcat, factor that in with Jets past success with wildcat, and with a offense with sanchez as qb wildcat or something else would be needed. sparano had no idea how to to run the O, let alone use tebow. 1 of the many excuses for mark was bringing in tebow was messing up mark's rhythm so he was use less and less. So sanchez's lovers can cross that out as an excuse..

Im not going to blame rex for the O. Mike T was the gm, instead of over paying for holmes, hunter, ect.. Extended sanchez when they was no need, he could have improved the O.. Obviously Rex is not built to carry the GM on created the O like he can with the D. Hopefully the New GM can take charge in shaping the O. Ofcourse it will take some time for MT's bad contracts to go away, sanchez especially..