Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Is Rex's bluster part of the reason for salary cap problems?

  1. #1

    Is Rex's bluster part of the reason for salary cap problems?

    Rex Ryan is a great football coach - a football coach teaches the game and motivates his players. A football coach devises game plans and calls plays and executes the game plan. A head coach has many different responsibilities. Rex looked like a great head coach the first few seasons because the football coach in him paid off for the Jets. He had the players motivated and he pumped them up and he devised great game plans and it all worked and the Jets made 2 AFC championship games. All the while his lack of knowledge of knowing how to be a head coach started to hurt the team.
    Rex pumped up his players and the media and he gave all his players big heads. Rex had to then follow thru and get all the players he pumped up big contracts. David Harris, Mark Sanchez, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, D'Brickshaw and I'm sure a few others are all overpaid.

    Jets had to overpay Cromartie because Rex publicly chased Ashomugha. Jets gave Sanchez a new contract because Rex spent a day chasing Peyton Manning. Rex wanted Tone time to stay a Jet. Mike Tannenbaum filled out the lines on the contracts but we all know that Rex is responsible for the contracts Mike T. had to give out. Rex has been shooting himself in the foot since be became Jets head coach. I dont think Rex will ever stop shooting himself and the Jets in the foot.

    Maybe just maybe the new GM can reign Rex in so we just get the football coach Rex and not the Head coach Rex but Rex is the Head coach. The bluster is in Rex's blood. Unless Rex pulls a 180 he will be booted out just like his brother has been numerous times already. Rex is becoming the joke of this franchise and he has earned it with flying colors.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,628
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Rex Ryan is a great football coach - a football coach teaches the game and motivates his players. A football coach devises game plans and calls plays and executes the game plan. A head coach has many different responsibilities. Rex looked like a great head coach the first few seasons because the football coach in him paid off for the Jets. He had the players motivated and he pumped them up and he devised great game plans and it all worked and the Jets made 2 AFC championship games. All the while his lack of knowledge of knowing how to be a head coach started to hurt the team.
    Rex pumped up his players and the media and he gave all his players big heads. Rex had to then follow thru and get all the players he pumped up big contracts. David Harris, Mark Sanchez, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, D'Brickshaw and I'm sure a few others are all overpaid.

    Jets had to overpay Cromartie because Rex publicly chased Ashomugha. Jets gave Sanchez a new contract because Rex spent a day chasing Peyton Manning. Rex wanted Tone time to stay a Jet. Mike Tannenbaum filled out the lines on the contracts but we all know that Rex is responsible for the contracts Mike T. had to give out. Rex has been shooting himself in the foot since be became Jets head coach. I dont think Rex will ever stop shooting himself and the Jets in the foot.

    Maybe just maybe the new GM can reign Rex in so we just get the football coach Rex and not the Head coach Rex but Rex is the Head coach. The bluster is in Rex's blood. Unless Rex pulls a 180 he will be booted out just like his brother has been numerous times already. Rex is becoming the joke of this franchise and he has earned it with flying colors.
    He signed with the Jets for less then the Raiders offered?? Where are you coming up with this??

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He signed with the Jets for less then the Raiders offered?? Where are you coming up with this??
    I never got that far.

    Had to stop reading after the OP's first sentence.

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    He signed with the Jets for less then the Raiders offered?? Where are you coming up with this??

    I remember the Jets going hard after Asomugha and then they had to go back to Cromartie when Asomgha picked the Eagles. I don't remember Cromartie going back to the Jets for less money after all that. If thats the case then good for the Jets. I remember the Jets trying to save face and overpaying for another pumped up player. If you guys think its all Mr.T 's fault and Rex had nothing to do with the Jets cap issues then say it!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I remember the Jets going hard after Asomugha and then they had to go back to Cromartie when Asomgha picked the Eagles. I don't remember Cromartie going back to the Jets for less money after all that. If thats the case then good for the Jets. I remember the Jets trying to save face and overpaying for another pumped up player. If you guys think its all Mr.T 's fault and Rex had nothing to do with the Jets cap issues then say it!
    Ok, I'll say it. Mr T was in charge of contracts. MR. T was supposed to be a cap genius but he went around handing out guaranteed money like it was candy on halloween! The NFL is a bisinesss and players are supposed to be grown ups and know this. There was no need for Mr T to hand out guaranteed money because players like Sanchez and Cro had "hurt feelings" because they looked at replacements.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I never got that far.

    Had to stop reading after the OP's first sentence.
    Almost as bad as Woody calling Rex sophisticated.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 20andout View Post
    Ok, I'll say it. Mr T was in charge of contracts. MR. T was supposed to be a cap genius but he went around handing out guaranteed money like it was candy on halloween! The NFL is a bisinesss and players are supposed to be grown ups and know this. There was no need for Mr T to hand out guaranteed money because players like Sanchez and Cro had "hurt feelings" because they looked at replacements.

    i agree that Mr T was ultimately responsible for handing out those contracts but to say that Rex had nothing to do with those contracts is being naive. Rex cries at team meetings. He has a soft heart. Rex inflated the players value in their minds and in the media and he pushed Mr T into overpaying for some players. Rex helped cause alot of this mess. I stand by my opinion.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I never got that far.

    Had to stop reading after the OP's first sentence.
    You have nothing to offer. Just like a Belicheck interview.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    8,266
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    .
    Jets had to overpay Cromartie because Rex publicly chased Ashomugha. Jets gave Sanchez a new contract because Rex spent a day chasing Peyton Manning. Rex wanted Tone time to stay a Jet. Mike Tannenbaum filled out the lines on the contracts but we all know that Rex is responsible for the contracts Mike T. had to give out.
    No, we don't all know this. The person that was responsible has been fired. Rex was hired to be the mouthpiece for the Jets and he fulfilled that responsibility.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    You have nothing to offer. Just like a Belicheck interview.
    At least I don't mumble.

  12. #12
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,227
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Rex Ryan is a great football coach - a football coach teaches the game and motivates his players. A football coach devises game plans and calls plays and executes the game plan. A head coach has many different responsibilities. Rex looked like a great head coach the first few seasons because the football coach in him paid off for the Jets. He had the players motivated and he pumped them up and he devised great game plans and it all worked and the Jets made 2 AFC championship games. All the while his lack of knowledge of knowing how to be a head coach started to hurt the team.
    Rex pumped up his players and the media and he gave all his players big heads. Rex had to then follow thru and get all the players he pumped up big contracts. David Harris, Mark Sanchez, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, D'Brickshaw and I'm sure a few others are all overpaid.

    Jets had to overpay Cromartie because Rex publicly chased Ashomugha. Jets gave Sanchez a new contract because Rex spent a day chasing Peyton Manning. Rex wanted Tone time to stay a Jet. Mike Tannenbaum filled out the lines on the contracts but we all know that Rex is responsible for the contracts Mike T. had to give out. Rex has been shooting himself in the foot since be became Jets head coach. I dont think Rex will ever stop shooting himself and the Jets in the foot.

    Maybe just maybe the new GM can reign Rex in so we just get the football coach Rex and not the Head coach Rex but Rex is the Head coach. The bluster is in Rex's blood. Unless Rex pulls a 180 he will be booted out just like his brother has been numerous times already. Rex is becoming the joke of this franchise and he has earned it with flying colors.
    I think in general you bring up a very good point. By bragging about your players in public you increase their value but by being silent like a Mangini or Bellichick you help yourself in the negotiation.

    The law of unintended consequences is appropriate here. Rex needs to learn from his mistakes and brag about guys only when they have long term contracts in place. He is at least partly responsible for the cap mess.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    43,628
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    At least I don't mumble.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I don't know on my screen it looks like this : ^#%#&#$@()@_&^^% - what did you say Mr Belicheck .

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Rex Ryan is a great football coach - a football coach teaches the game and motivates his players. A football coach devises game plans and calls plays and executes the game plan. A head coach has many different responsibilities. Rex looked like a great head coach the first few seasons because the football coach in him paid off for the Jets. He had the players motivated and he pumped them up and he devised great game plans and it all worked and the Jets made 2 AFC championship games. All the while his lack of knowledge of knowing how to be a head coach started to hurt the team.
    Rex pumped up his players and the media and he gave all his players big heads. Rex had to then follow thru and get all the players he pumped up big contracts. David Harris, Mark Sanchez, Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, D'Brickshaw and I'm sure a few others are all overpaid.

    Jets had to overpay Cromartie because Rex publicly chased Ashomugha. Jets gave Sanchez a new contract because Rex spent a day chasing Peyton Manning. Rex wanted Tone time to stay a Jet. Mike Tannenbaum filled out the lines on the contracts but we all know that Rex is responsible for the contracts Mike T. had to give out. Rex has been shooting himself in the foot since be became Jets head coach. I dont think Rex will ever stop shooting himself and the Jets in the foot.

    Maybe just maybe the new GM can reign Rex in so we just get the football coach Rex and not the Head coach Rex but Rex is the Head coach. The bluster is in Rex's blood. Unless Rex pulls a 180 he will be booted out just like his brother has been numerous times already. Rex is becoming the joke of this franchise and he has earned it with flying colors.
    No. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with it. Other team do not need Rex Ryan to educate them about who is great and who isn't. What is it? That suddenly the other teams do not how to evaluate talent when they see it with their own two eyes? The entire line of thinking is f*cking stupidity and something typically some a$$hole who just has a dumb hatred of Rex Ryan would say. It's a person who is grasping at straws. ANYTHING they can suggest that will make Rex Ryan look bad.

    They've forgotten this is about the team, not some stupid personal vendetta.

    Rex Ryan talks up his players because he genuinely has confidence in them. he also tends to talk them up even when he knows they suck. That's because he never wants to throw any of his players under the bus, ala Herm Edwards, and most of all he tries to deflect the criticism away from his players and put it all on his back. He believes he's got broad shoulders and can handle it.

    The players respond to that by having a very strong loyalty to Rex. The players always have Rex's back because they feel a sense of responsibility to a man that is the ultimate team guy.

    With all this bullsh*t and players speaking out anonymously about other players on the team, have you EVER heard one derogatory word spoken about Rex Ryan from the players? That should tell you all you need to know.

    Rex Ryan may run his mouth all the time. He may have some very weird off the field hobbies. He may be a total f*cking fruitcake for all we know, but he IS one of the most highly respected coaches in the league by his players.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,418
    What does Rex have to do with cap problems?

    We're in cap hell because of Tanny spending money like a drunken sailor.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I think in general you bring up a very good point. By bragging about your players in public you increase their value but by being silent like a Mangini or Bellichick you help yourself in the negotiation.

    The law of unintended consequences is appropriate here. Rex needs to learn from his mistakes and brag about guys only when they have long term contracts in place. He is at least partly responsible for the cap mess.

    I appreciate your support on this topic but it seems i'm fighting a losing battle. I like Rex as a coach and I hope the Jets get turned around but I still feel that Rex is just as much to blame as Mr. T on this cap mess. Rex had Mr T's ear. Rex's style of coaching has brought diminishing returns to this Jet team - evident by their record. 9-7 to 11-5 to 8-8 and then 6-10. Did Rex suddenly forget how to coach? - No! The team had less talent. Why? Because of the large contracts Rex and Mr T. gave to the wrong players at the wrong time and the lack of draft picks. But none is this mess is Rex's fault. Its all Mr T's. Thats what everyone is telling me so far on this post and who am I to question Mainejet and Savage69 and PatsFanTX and Vinnys Niece. Its not like Im a football coach and I own my own corporation and I know alot about business and those guys are pot smoking construction workers. I'm glad thats not the case cause then maybe I was right. But they all say that Rex has no blame here so I guess I will just have to believe them!

  18. #18
    Every NFL team goes through cap problems once every few years. Cyclical. If you compete you hold onto your good players it happens to everyone even the precious Patriots. The Texans were like $30 mil over the cap last yr that's why they let Mario walk. Where are the articles and threads slamming Gary Kubiak?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Every NFL team goes through cap problems once every few years. Cyclical. If you compete you hold onto your good players it happens to everyone even the precious Patriots. The Texans were like $30 mil over the cap last yr that's why they let Mario walk. Where are the articles and threads slamming Gary Kubiak?

    Good point but Kubiak still has is team in the playoffs and has multiple draft picks panning out and does'nt proclaim is team is gonna win the superbowl before the season starts and isnt all over the news saying that JJ Watt should be the highest paid D.E. in the game because he is the best. Kubiak is professional about his business. But I am giving up this battle. Its not Rex's fault.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Good point but Kubiak still has is team in the playoffs and has multiple draft picks panning out and does'nt proclaim is team is gonna win the superbowl before the season starts and isnt all over the news saying that JJ Watt should be the highest paid D.E. in the game because he is the best. Kubiak is professional about his business. But I am giving up this battle. Its not Rex's fault.
    Only difference between Kubiak and Rex is Rex doesn't keep his mouth shut. That and Rex is probably a better HC. If only Houston had a better HC and QB that wasn't soft they're probably playing next Sunday.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us