Thread: Great Player vs Great Team: What would you rather watch?

All Pro

Great Player vs Great Team: What would you rather watch?

I know this is like the 385th thread on Revis but this is what I think the debate here really is about. People who are completely against trading Revis feel this way because we would be giving up one of the truly great talents we have currently on the roster. People who are for trading Revis, or would at least consider it want to do what's better for the franchise, and hopefully one day build us into a contender.

So how do you feel about it? Would you rather watch the best CB on the planet on a mediocre, non-contending team, or trade away one of the few pieces we have and begin building a contender?

Let's say we go into negotiations this offseason to explore what it would take to lock up Revis long term, and his agent tells Idzik the price is 6yrs 100 mil, 40-50 mil guaranteed. Do you back up the brinks truck for Revis or do you then trade him to the highest bidder?

All Pro
    I doubt that anyone will pick one player over a better team. Most fans believe this one player will create a better team rather than accumulating draft picks.

It is a risk-reward.

All Pro
    Obviously the answer is great team, but great teams have great players, and giving a great player away for a bunch of draft picks does not mean the team will be great.

And I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the rookie GM the Jets just hired has never picked a player before.

Just too much unknown to feel comfortable about.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I know this is like the 385th thread on Revis but this is what I think the debate here really is about. People who are completely against trading Revis feel this way because we would be giving up one of the truly great talents we have currently on the roster. People who are for trading Revis, or would at least consider it want to do what's better for the franchise, and hopefully one day build us into a contender.

So how do you feel about it? Would you rather watch the best CB on the planet on a mediocre, non-contending team, or trade away one of the few pieces we have and begin building a contender?

Let's say we go into negotiations this offseason to explore what it would take to lock up Revis long term, and his agent tells Idzik the price is 6yrs 100 mil, 40-50 mil guaranteed. Do you back up the brinks truck for Revis or do you then trade him to the highest bidder?
    This is such BS. You assume the people that want to trade him want to do what is best for the team and the people that support keeping him don't?

And BTW, WHO says that trading him will definitely make the team better? Does anyone know that for sure? Who says we'll get enough in compensation? Does anyone know that?

This is all conjectiure, 100% pure speculation.

The Jets have 12 men on defense when Revis is in the game and he's a guy that will rise to the biggest occasions. He comes through in big games. Getting rid of him would be purely due to the team being in cap hell and certainly not due to any good reasons.

I support keeping Revis and paying him what he wants. Keep him as a Jet until the day he retires. I also want the team to get better by leaving an experienced, savvy, once-in-a-lifetime player on the defense. I support doing what is best for the team. That is KEEPING Revis.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    This is such BS. You assume the people that want to trade him want to do what is best for the team and the people that support keeping him don't?

And BTW, WHO says that trading him will definitely make the team better? Does anyone know that for sure? Who says we'll get enough in compensation? Does anyone know that?

The Jets have 12 men on defense when Revis is in the game and he's a guy that will rise to the biggest occasions. He comes through in big games. Getting rid of him would be purely due to the team being in cap hell and certainly not due to any good reasons.

I support keeping Revis and paying him what he wants. Keep him as a Jet until the day he retires. I also want the team to get better by leaving an experienced, savvy, once-in-a-lifetime player on the defense. I support doing what is best for the team. That is KEEPING Revis.
    Great point in the first paragraph. I also agree that if we keep him it is what is best for this team.

Great teams have great players

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Obviously the answer is great team, but great teams have great players, and giving a great player away for a bunch of draft picks does not mean the team will be great.

And I haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the rookie GM the Jets just hired has never picked a player before.

Just too much unknown to feel comfortable about.
    +1

Undrafted Free Agent
    I want to keep Revis. Not because I care about an individual player, either. I want to experience the Jets winning a Super Bowl before I die. That's what I want most from the Jets.

However, as long as I can live a little while longer, I'm willing to write off the 2013 campaign as a lost season. I expect to be 3-13 or 4-12 bad. It's OK. We will get the salary-cap relief we need after next season. When basically all the bad contracts come off the books, our cap situation will be tremendous. And we will have a high pick in the first round, which could mean a chance to either draft a franchise quarterback (Bridgewater?) or a defensive difference-maker (Clowney) if we don't pick our QB of the future this year.

Let's begin the rebuilding phase this season by getting rid of some of the JAGs and dead weight. Let's get rid of the rest of the JAGs and dead weight next offseason, when it best benefits our cap situation. In the meantime, let's make it a point to keep all our quality players, most of all, Revis. I'm not saying we should give in and give him $16 million per year and $60 million guaranteed; we can meet him halfway, though. When we're able to compete for a playoff spot again in 2014 or 2015, Revis will still be in only his age 29 and 30 seasons. He'll still be productive.

If the Chiefs were to offer us their first-round pick this year and, say, a third-rounder, I wouldn't do it. If we had the first pick, who would we select? If Revis were available in this draft, he'd be the best player in the draft. He is an immortal player. There's no draft-eligible player I would take in exchange for Revis. And the third-round pick would be kind of a crapshoot.

The only way I'd be interested in the No. 1 pick this year is if I thought I could turn around and trade down for a boatload of picks. It probably wouldn't happen, though, because the top of this draft lacks can't-miss, big-time talent. It's not like having a top-two pick in last year's draft, which a team could have dealt for a king's ransom. And it doesn't matter anyway, because the only teams that would actually trade for Revis have bottom-eight picks in this year's draft.

WHERE'S THE POLL!?

Rookie

12 men on defense when Revis is in the game? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

The bottom line is this,we already have a great player p. the team in Revis, ,no matter how many picks we get for him we have no - idea if they help make us a great team or a team of Gholston's & Hunters

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsonly View Post
    12 men on defense when Revis is in the game? That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.
    That'll be why we get so many flags thrown on us ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Great teams have great players
    /thread

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189 View Post
    I doubt that anyone will pick one player over a better team. Most fans believe this one player will create a better team rather than accumulating draft picks.

It is a risk-reward.
    you'd be suprised, a couple of guys in the other Revis threads wanted him back no matter the cost, even if it sacrifices other areas of the team

All Pro

You're absolutely right, trading him does not guarantee success, however trading him for picks gives Idzik ammo to reload this roster. Let's be honest the draft is really a crap shoot but we chose Idzik because Woody feels that he is football savvy enough to hit on a couple of these picks and give us some playmakers. Building through the draft is a risk that any team takes to build a contender. The ones who are successful at it win more often than not, and that is what Idzik was brought here to do.

So let me ask you this. Are you willing to pay Revis a boatload of money even if it means sacrificing signing a pass rusher or playmakers on offense?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    I want to keep Revis. Not because I care about an individual player, either. I want to experience the Jets winning a Super Bowl before I die. That's what I want most from the Jets.

However, as long as I can live a little while longer, I'm willing to write off the 2013 campaign as a lost season. I expect to be 3-13 or 4-12 bad. It's OK. We will get the salary-cap relief we need after next season. When basically all the bad contracts come off the books, our cap situation will be tremendous. And we will have a high pick in the first round, which could mean a chance to either draft a franchise quarterback (Bridgewater?) or a defensive difference-maker (Clowney) if we don't pick our QB of the future this year.

Let's begin the rebuilding phase this season by getting rid of some of the JAGs and dead weight. Let's get rid of the rest of the JAGs and dead weight next offseason, when it best benefits our cap situation. In the meantime, let's make it a point to keep all our quality players, most of all, Revis. I'm not saying we should give in and give him $16 million per year and $60 million guaranteed; we can meet him halfway, though. When we're able to compete for a playoff spot again in 2014 or 2015, Revis will still be in only his age 29 and 30 seasons. He'll still be productive.

If the Chiefs were to offer us their first-round pick this year and, say, a third-rounder, I wouldn't do it. If we had the first pick, who would we select? If Revis were available in this draft, he'd be the best player in the draft. He is an immortal player. There's no draft-eligible player I would take in exchange for Revis. And the third-round pick would be kind of a crapshoot.

The only way I'd be interested in the No. 1 pick this year is if I thought I could turn around and trade down for a boatload of picks. It probably wouldn't happen, though, because the top of this draft lacks can't-miss, big-time talent. It's not like having a top-two pick in last year's draft, which a team could have dealt for a king's ransom. And it doesn't matter anyway, because the only teams that would actually trade for Revis have bottom-eight picks in this year's draft.
    TBH I don't want a 1 this year. I want a 1 next year where we could possibly package both of our 1's for Clowney or Bridgewater.