Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 47

Thread: What is the most successful draft (any team, any year) in history?

  1. #21
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Mike Haight draft might have actually been worse than the Roger Vick one.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Patriots.

    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag named Brady
    Jag
    Jag
    Jag

  3. #23
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    This. Nothing else really even comes close.
    That 86 Niner draft got them 3 more super bowls. You should revise your comments.

  4. #24
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,437
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    1987 - NEW YORK JETS

    RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 21 Roger Vick RB Texas A&M
    2 42 Alex Gordon LB Cincinnati
    3 75 Onzy Elam LB Tennessee State
    5 129 Kirby Jackson DB Mississippi State
    6 161 Tracy Martin WR North Dakota
    7 187 Gerald Nichols DT Florida State
    8 196 Eddie Hunter RB Virginia Tech
    8 214 Mike Rice -- Montana
    9 241 Ron McLean NT Cal State-Fullerton
    10 268 Sid Lewis DB Penn State
    11 300 Kirk Timmer LB Montana State
    12 327 Bill Ransdell QB Kentucky

    /Thread
    Good God

    Don't ever take me there again.

  5. #25
    Waterboy
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82861ca6#photo=4

    Has that 2000 Jets draft at #9 all time

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    That 86 Niner draft got them 3 more super bowls. You should revise your comments.
    Nope. Still not even close. The 49ers won 3 SBs because they had Montana and drafted Rice in the 85 draft.

    86 draft had five nice players. Only two of them were pro-bowlers, Haley and Taylor. Rathman, McKyer and Roberts were nice pieces but despite it being an all-time great draft, I don't see it anywhere near the Steelers haul of 4 HOF players.

  7. #27
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Nope. Still not even close. The 49ers won 3 SBs because they had Montana and drafted Rice in the 85 draft.

    86 draft had five nice players. Only two of them were pro-bowlers, Haley and Taylor. Rathman, McKyer and Roberts were nice pieces but despite it being an all-time great draft, I don't see it anywhere near the Steelers haul of 4 HOF players.
    Steve Wallace was a stud LT; and Taylor was as good as John Stallworth any day; Stallworth came up at at time when the NFL changed the rules to favor the WR; I don't understand why he's in the HOF frankly; they should apply the same criteria to Taylor since Rice is in the HOF...just stick him in there; he had a SB winning catch! Hayley has 5 rings. Griffin McKyer - started almost immediately and got 2 rings.

    You need to rethink it.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not doubting how good the 86 draft was for the 49ers. You make good arguments and in terms of depth it was actually rather awesome. But I will just respectfully disagree with your position that its on par with the 74 Steelers.

    Personally, I think Webster and Lambert are the two best players of those two drafts combined. Then you could debate Swann vs. Haley for #3 and #4. But that's only my opinion and definitely is subject to debate.

    Also, I don't think Haley's 5 trips to the SB are distinctive since I believe all four of the Steelers went to 4 SBs. Regardless, # of SBs isn't really a measure of the player, is it?

    FWIW, nfl.com ranked them here: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

    49ers came out #5 but since they combined the Cowboys 91/92 drafts, it probably should be #4.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    I think it was the Jets' Blair Thomas Draft...😏


    Or Johnny Lam Bam Jones
    or JJ Watts
    or Ken Obrien over Marino
    Or TE Kyle over Warren Sapp

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dallas 89, Carolina 1st draft, and SD 01 AND 04 come to mind.

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Dallas 89, Carolina 1st draft, and SD 01 AND 04 come to mind.
    Dallas 89 was beautiful, believe they traded Herschell Walker for a bounty of pics that included:

    Michael Irving, Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Darren Woodson, etc.. It was a draft like we should do with our #1 DB in the world. Wish we could get a bounty...

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post


    Or Johnny Lam Bam Jones
    or JJ Watts
    or Ken Obrien over Marino
    Or TE Kyle over Warren Sapp

    In '86 we had the Mike Haight draft, that was an all time great, it's right up there with the Roger Vick draft in '87, the entire 80's was a disaster...

    The torture never ends...

  13. #33
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,028
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    1987 - NEW YORK JETS

    RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
    1 21 Roger Vick RB Texas A&M
    2 42 Alex Gordon LB Cincinnati
    3 75 Onzy Elam LB Tennessee State
    5 129 Kirby Jackson DB Mississippi State
    6 161 Tracy Martin WR North Dakota
    7 187 Gerald Nichols DT Florida State
    8 196 Eddie Hunter RB Virginia Tech
    8 214 Mike Rice -- Montana
    9 241 Ron McLean NT Cal State-Fullerton
    10 268 Sid Lewis DB Penn State
    11 300 Kirk Timmer LB Montana State
    12 327 Bill Ransdell QB Kentucky

    /Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Good God

    Don't ever take me there again.
    It makes me sick. If there were a poster named Roger Vick, I'd ban his ass just on principle.

  14. #34
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I'm not doubting how good the 86 draft was for the 49ers. You make good arguments and in terms of depth it was actually rather awesome. But I will just respectfully disagree with your position that its on par with the 74 Steelers.

    Personally, I think Webster and Lambert are the two best players of those two drafts combined. Then you could debate Swann vs. Haley for #3 and #4. But that's only my opinion and definitely is subject to debate.

    Also, I don't think Haley's 5 trips to the SB are distinctive since I believe all four of the Steelers went to 4 SBs. Regardless, # of SBs isn't really a measure of the player, is it?

    FWIW, nfl.com ranked them here: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09...o&confirm=true

    49ers came out #5 but since they combined the Cowboys 91/92 drafts, it probably should be #4.
    Thanks Dan.

    You still playing the bass?

  15. #35
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It makes me sick. If there were a poster named Roger Vick, I'd ban his ass just on principle.
    In Ancient Japan, carp would try to climb the Dragon Gate; a waterfall of tremendous volume and power. Legend is that by successfully climbing the falls, a carp could become a Moderator, meaning no one could ever ban them again.

    This is the Sisyphean fate of Roger Vick.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Thanks Dan.

    You still playing the bass?
    Indeed I am. Gig about twice a year in the city. Listening to "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" as I type this which has one of the most enjoyable rolling bass lines out there.

    Can't believe you remember that. Did I post a picture of my Ken Smith bass a few years ago or something like that?

  17. #37
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornwood, NY
    Posts
    5,578
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    In Ancient Japan, carp would try to climb the Dragon Gate; a waterfall of tremendous volume and power. Legend is that by successfully climbing the falls, a carp could become a Moderator, meaning no one could ever ban them again.

    This is the Sisyphean fate of Roger Vick.
    Mind....blown.

    This board needs more of this and less OMGSanchezSux. Especially in the offseason.

  18. #38
    Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Indeed I am. Gig about twice a year in the city. Listening to "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" as I type this which has one of the most enjoyable rolling bass lines out there.

    Can't believe you remember that. Did I post a picture of my Ken Smith bass a few years ago or something like that?
    Yeah, I have a mind that remembers all kinds of stuff...I think you talked it up a bit in one of those "Guitar" type threads.

    Love the A-Bros! IMOER is A Minor, but they go the the relative C Major7 to get that Wes Montgomery type sound. (to my ears )

  19. #39
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3,540
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I think the Mike Haight draft might have actually been worse than the Roger Vick one.
    Was just about to make the same observation, 86 and 87 by the Jets were probably the worst back to back drafts by a franchise in NFL history

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,871
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revislsland View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d82861ca6#photo=4

    Has that 2000 Jets draft at #9 all time
    Hence, why in my first comment, I said this was probably one of the top ten draft years for any team of all time.

    When you draft five guys in one year that all play 10 plus years in the NFL, you've done something right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us