Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is the guy I'd pick with the 9th overall...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Funny you should suggest such a thing

http://www.drafttek.com/2013-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round1.asp
    If they draft him, go to a 4-3. Resign DeVito as the backup DT/ part timer with Ellis, and use your best players to rush the QB, rather than tying up blockers so our piss poor linebackers can not make the play. I have no problem with going with a great D Line to stop the run and rush the passer. And a guy who can not just clog the middle but can push the pocket, while Coples and Wilkerson rush the outside seams like a good idea to me.

If you go 4-3, given the amount of nickle that is played now, you would really only need 2 fast LB, instead of 4.

But if you go D-Line in the first, better go O in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    maybe keenan allen. i think cordarelle patterson is a gem. insane athlete. a bigger percy harvin. he's exactly the type of person i watch scoring for other teams every week.
    Yeah I just saw tape on him...he is a FREAK! There are certainly some good options out there and the Jets are in a prime spot. I just hope Idzik does his due dilligence and grabs the bull by its horns.

Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    If they draft him, go to a 4-3. Resign DeVito as the backup DT/ part timer with Ellis, and use your best players to rush the QB, rather than tying up blockers so our piss poor linebackers can not make the play. I have no problem with going with a great D Line to stop the run and rush the passer. And a guy who can not just clog the middle but can push the pocket, while Coples and Wilkerson rush the outside seams like a good idea to me.

If you go 4-3, given the amount of nickle that is played now, you would really only need 2 fast LB, instead of 4.

+1

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by flgreen View Post
    Probably the best way to go at 9. Jets will need a guard very soon, if not now.

Itís possible Star could be there, but very unlikely. Same with Jones. Mingo just reminds me to much of Maybin, think there is a bust factor there the Jets canít gamble on.

Itís hard to take an OG at 9, but Warmack will be a player at the next level.
    Mingo reminds me of many Lawson. If Jarvis Jones has the same condition as former Charger LT Marcus McNeil, then i can't see taking an impact OLber with that condition this early in the draft.

+2

All League
    Charter JI Member

I'm slowly jumping on the Jarvis Jones bandwagon.

Obviously there are some health questions - but you cannot doubt this production - in the SEC no less.

2011 - his sophomore season, he was named a finalist for the Butkus Award as the teamís linebacker and garnered consensus All-American and first-team All-SEC honors. The team captain started all 14 games, racking up 70 tackles, 19.5 for loss (which led the SEC) and 13.5 sacks (led the SEC, tied for fifth in the country). His four sacks helped the team win their annual rivalry game with Florida and earned him many national defensive player of the week awards. Jones stayed productive in 2012 as a redshirt junior, leading the nation in three categories: sacks (14.5, school record), tackles for loss (24.5, school record) and forced fumbles (7). Add 85 tackles, 4 passes defended and an interception and Jones was one of the top defenders in the country and was a finalist for the Bednarik, Lombardi, Nagurski, Butkus and Lott awards.

Hall Of Fame
    Wilkerson is not a 4-3 DE. At least not a traditional one. He is 315 lbs.

I think we have forgotten what pass rushers look like, understandably b.c it has been a while. We see a DT have some success and we think he is a pass rusher. Wilk is good at beating Guards on the inside. Beating LTs is completely different.

And Coples would be tweener in the 4-3 as well.

If we were to go with a base 4-3, we could live with Wilk and Ellis at DT and Coples at DE if we got another DE like Abe.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-28-2013 at 12:47 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Wilkerson is not a 4-3 DE. At least not a traditional one. He is 315 lbs.

I think we have forgotten what pass rushers look like, understandably b.c it has been a while. We see a DT have some success and we think he is a pass rusher. Wilk is good at beating Guards on the inside. Beating LTs is completely different.

And Coples would be tweener in the 4-3 as well.
    Coples is big enough to play DE. If Wilkerson is really to slow to play DE, move him to DT and let him go 1 on 1 with a guard. I don't think him or Coples are 12 sack guys, but I think both have shown an ability to get to the QB. If Wilkerson can get 5-6 sacks as a 3-4 end, he can't get 8-10 as a 4-3 DE? And Wilk would be on the other teams RT, not LT, where he can be of more help against the run and pass at 315. He's not that much bigger than Shaun Ellis was, and Ellis could get a pass rush.

Coples was not played against Pitt because he was too small to play 3-4 end. But he's more than big enough for a 4-3. Rex wants to play a 3-4, but has a NT with a bad back, not pass rushing OLB, and 1 ILB.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Yeah you can't sell me on d-tackle at #9. Our d-line is pretty good right now and very promising with Wilk and Coples. Only position on D I could stomach at #9 would be a pass rusher. Otherwise, the offense should be upgraded (to the extent possible at #9).
    Exactly!

I wouldn't mind going OL at 9 but DT or DE absolutely not!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Since St. Louis has a ton of high draft picks over the next 2 years, this would be my ideal scenario:

Trade Revis to St. Louis for the 16th overall pick.

#9: OLB Barkevious Mingo - LSU

#16: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama
    Isn't Warmack a top 10 pick at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Since St. Louis has a ton of high draft picks over the next 2 years, this would be my ideal scenario:

Trade Revis to St. Louis for the 16th overall pick.

#9: OLB Barkevious Mingo - LSU

#16: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama
    Jenkins made most of the rookie all star teams and they just paid real big bucks for finnegan last year. St Louis needs olineman just as much as the jets do and they don't have the cap room to sign him.

Veteran
    If Luke Joeckel, falls as far as 9, do we take him ... what say ye ?

Hall Of Fame
    Coples is big enough to play DE. If Wilkerson is really to slow to play DE, move him to DT and let him go 1 on 1 with a guard. I don't think him or Coples are 12 sack guys, but I think both have shown an ability to get to the QB. If Wilkerson can get 5-6 sacks as a 3-4 end, he can't get 8-10 as a 4-3 DE? And Wilk would be on the other teams RT, not LT, where he can be of more help against the run and pass at 315. He's not that much bigger than Shaun Ellis was, and Ellis could get a pass rush.

Coples was not played against Pitt because he was too small to play 3-4 end. But he's more than big enough for a 4-3. Rex wants to play a 3-4, but has a NT with a bad back, not pass rushing OLB, and 1 ILB.
    My point was that Coples might be too big to play 4-3 DE too. He is certainly too small to play DT in the 4-3 so that is why I called him a tweener in the 4-3. We could live with him at DE but we would need a real athletic/speed guy on the opposite side to complement him, just my opinion.

You are right about Ellis having some good years at 4-3 DE. But he did have Abe complementing him. For Coples we would need an Abe-type player on the other side. Also, I think Jets fans underestimate how good Ellis was early in his career. Ellis was great player for us. We would be lucky if Wilk or Coples had the career he did.

No, IMO Wilk would not be an 8-10 sack guy at 4-3 DE. I don't think he has the "bend" or the speed to play DE every single play in the 4-3 and be a viable pass rusher. I think he would have a much better shot at getting 8-10 sacks playing DT in a 4-3 than he would playing DE, even if he lined up over the RT every play. I would never line him up at DE in the 4-3. But that's just me.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-28-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Yeah I just saw tape on him...he is a FREAK! There are certainly some good options out there and the Jets are in a prime spot. I just hope Idzik does his due dilligence and grabs the bull by its horns.
    he is a freak. everyone here should watch the highlights and then post whether they want to take him or mingo. or warmack.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    If Luke Joeckel, falls as far as 9, do we take him ... what say ye ?
    If he is there and we don't take him we should storm Florham Park.

But I don't think we will have to worry about that, he will be long gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Isn't Warmack a top 10 pick at this point?
    Probably

It's wishful thinking on my part.

I'd love something like this as well:

#9: OG Chance Warmack - Alabama

#16: OLB Ziggy Ansah - BYU

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    My point was that Coples might be too big to play 4-3 DE too. He is certainly too small to play DT in the 4-3 so that is why I called him a tweener in the 4-3. We could live with him at DE but we would need a real athletic/speed guy on the opposite side to complement him, just my opinion.

You are right about Ellis having some good years at 4-3 DE. But he did have Abe complementing him. For Coples we would need an Abe-type player on the other side. Also, I think Jets fans underestimate how good Ellis was early in his career. Ellis was great player for us. We would be lucky if Wilk or Coples had the career he did.

No, IMO Wilk would not be an 8-10 sack guy at 4-3 DE. I don't think he has the "bend" or the speed to play DE every single play in the 4-3 and be a viable pass rusher. I think he would have a much better shot at getting 8-10 sacks playing DT in a 4-3 than he would playing DE, even if he lined up over the RT every play. I would never line him up at DE in the 4-3. But that's just me.
    Fair points. Ellis was real good, would have been better if Herm didn't screw him up for 2 years moving him to defensive tackle.

It's just sad that we want to run a 3-4 with no linebackers.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Fair points. Ellis was real good, would have been better if Herm didn't screw him up for 2 years moving him to defensive tackle.

It's just sad that we want to run a 3-4 with no linebackers.
    Hence......Jarvis Jones.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    Hence......Jarvis Jones.
    Jones scares me

Kid is one good hit away from never playing again.

I don't care where we draft him, but we need to find a way to draft Khaseem Greene.