Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: SI's King Says Elway Believes Revis is Missing Piece...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How do you know Revis won't give the Jets a hometown discount?
    stop trolling

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    These are not numbers made up by the media. Nnamdi is making 15 million next year, Brandon Carr is making 14.5 million and that is just base salary, that doesnt include their bonus and does not reflect their cap numbers which are higher.

If the Jets offer Revis the highest contract ever to a CB, it will be in excess of 15.5 million per year.
    The highest paid CB list goes by average salary per year, not what they're making in any single year. Nnamdi signed a contract at $12 million per year (5yr-$60 million contract). Carr signed a contract at $10.02 million per year (5 yr-$50.1 million). That's what it's based on, not the $15 million you keep saying. So in order for Revis to have the highest CB contract ever he would just have to get over $12 million per year to do that. That being said, I think he wants highest defensive player money which is around $16 million and that's what the issue is. He should be paid higher then any other CB but should he be paid higher then any other defensive player? That is the question and the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Keenan Allen is the best WR in the draft and I wouldn't take him in the Top 20, much less the Top 10.

There isn't a single RB worth taking that high either and even though I like the TE Zach Ertz, I'm not taking a TE that high unless I think he's Gronk/Graham 2.0

Warmack is a total stud and arguably the safest pick in the draft. He's the kind of guy you plug in at LG from day one and not have to worry about that position again for over a decade.

Everyone loved DeCastro last year (including me) but when stacked up against Warmack, DeCastro looks like a chump in comparison. Warmack is just that good.

I think we could do a lot worse than plugging an all-pro in between Brick and Mangold. Especially if we're stuck with Sanchez.
    the guy i want is cordarelle patterson. his highlight tape is exceptional. his explosiveness is unreal. he can score in any way possible, running, receiving, punts and kickoffs. he's the guy we'll be watching this year on the dolphins or cowboys saying, 'why can't the jets draft players like that'. and we'll be watching a big guard.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Revis is coming back from an ACL injury, all in all it is a fairly routine injury these days. If you look at the money some of these CBs are making, even if Revis is off his game a little he will still command 12 million a year. He is going to get a big signing bonus no matter what. The only thing Revis risks by playing out the year is the difference in making 12 million a year or 16 million a year.
    You don't know that. All it takes is another freak injury that lands him on the IR again - then where is he?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the guy i want is cordarelle patterson. his highlight tape is exceptional. his explosiveness is unreal. he can score in any way possible, running, receiving, punts and kickoffs. he's the guy we'll be watching this year on the dolphins or cowboys saying, 'why can't the jets draft players like that'. and we'll be watching a big guard.
    Maybe we trade Revis & end up with both Warmack & Patterson.
    You never know?

Jets Insider VIP
    Patterson is a late 1st/early 2nd round prospect.

Yes, he's explosive but also extremely raw. We just drafted a guy like that in Stephen Hill.

And with our declining OL and Sanchez at QB, we weren't able to utilize him, so why should I think we could do it with Patterson?

I say get back to our 2009/2010 mold.

Build around a dominant OL and a shutdown defense. Seems to be working for San Francisco.

If we draft a WR, especially one with limited production, who exactly is going to play OLB for us?

You mention that people wonder "why we cant draft players like that"....do the raiders as that watching DHB fail year in and year out? Is patterson that much different then stephen hill?

We are picking in the top 10 for the first time in years....that is where you find pass rushers, LTs and QBs. This isnt the year for a QB and we dont need a LT and there also happens to be many quality pass rushing OLBs that will be there for us.

Picking coradelle paterson would be a very poor risk reward for this team and I highly doubt we will go that route.

Jets Insider VIP
    This post makes zero sense.

No, Revis is not the best defensive player in the game.

I'd take guys like J.J. Watt and DeMarcus Ware over Revis in a heartbeat. Those guys disrupt entire offenses. Revis even on his best day is still only taking away one player.

An yes, it's worth it to a team like Denver because they are on the cusp of a Superbowl and Peyton only has 2-3 years left.

It's not worth it to a team like us that is in cap hell and has to rebuild its entire offense before they can even begin talking playoffs, much less Superbowl.

Get it?
    He's not going to get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed....we might even go 7 and 9 if we mortgage the future on Revis while Brick, Mangold and co. Get older.....
    We won't win crap without a QB

Not sure why trading Revis nets us a QB any earlier

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If we draft a WR, especially one with limited production, who exactly is going to play OLB for us?

You mention that people wonder "why we cant draft players like that"....do the raiders as that watching DHB fail year in and year out? Is patterson that much different then stephen hill?

We are picking in the top 10 for the first time in years....that is where you find pass rushers, LTs and QBs. This isnt the year for a QB and we dont need a LT and there also happens to be many quality pass rushing OLBs that will be there for us.

Picking coradelle paterson would be a very poor risk reward for this team and I highly doubt we will go that route.
    I agree, and I actually don't even think picking up a WR in the draft is a high priority. I'm comfortable going with Holmes, Hill, Kerley, and Edwards as our top 4 guys and then some JAG as a #5. Whoever plays QB for this team in 2013 is not going to be a star player that could make the most out of WR talent. It's either gonna Sanchez (bum), Moore (journeyman), or unproven rookie at QB. That WR corps I listed is sufficient enough. Once Holmes is gone after this season, then if you bring in a blue chip QB prospect, you look to improve the WR corps.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

yes, he is much different than hill. if you saw him play, you wouldn't ask. it couldn't hurt to watch a highlight video on you tube, just to see who we're talking about.

the more years the jets draft defense in the first round, the harder it becomes to find playmakers. even if it means trading back in the first round, the jets need to invest 1st round draft picks on offense. if the jets take a guy like mingo or jones in the first, then take a lineman in the 2nd, they're as clueless with idzik as with tanny. the team sucks, isn't fun to watch and can't score. there are enough offensive weapons for the jets to manuever around and get a few early on which correspond to their draft boards. maybe then other teams will say 'uh oh, how are we going to cover hill and x and also stop y', rather than us always saying, 'we need olbs to stop all these qbs'. why can't we have a stud wr or rb?

Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Dude

The guy is injured

He's going to take the best deal we offer him this off season....no way he chances having a bad season with a bad knee, only to test the market next of season

It's pretty obvious what the smart move for Revis is
    You"re making like D Revis lost a leg and will never be the same. ACL injuries are pretty routine surgeries today and a team that going to sign him will look at that leg very closely.

D revis made sure he put in contract that Jets couldn't franchise him and 12 months away from unrestricted FA he going to cave, and give up that right.(History shows us that Revis doesn't cave, but the Jets will first) Do you know how much D revis is going to make in 2014( so many teams bidding on him and gets to pick where he will finish his career.

Jets could get the greatest trade ever made and it still doesn't matter if Revis says he isn't signing a contract extension with that team. Jet5 could offer him a monster contract and he can say no, I want to test FA. Where does that leave them.

Revis has made how much money since being in the NFL, he really going to worry that he could get hurt again and not get paid. Lloyd's of London will insure him from injury in 2013.

The Jets get one first round pick there GM did a great job. I think he leaves in 2014 and Jets get that third round pick in 2015.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-28-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Veteran
    We won't win crap without a QB

Not sure why trading Revis nets us a QB any earlier
    Agreed, but what QB in this draft is going to survive behind our OL? Our guard situation is looking like 2007. If the Jets don't draft The best guard prospect in years, their shiny new QB will turn into Sanchez 2.0. Next year's crop is better.

Trading Revis won't get a QB earlier. What it may do is may make our offense better while still having a pretty good defense. Then, when the QB prospects are better, you take a swing at your franchise QB. It's called building your offense around the QB. It's what the Jets failed to do with Sanchez.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    You"re making like D Revis lost a leg and will never be the same. ACL injuries are pretty routine surgeries today and a team that going to sign him will look at that leg very closely.

D revis made sure he put in contract that Jets couldn't franchise him and 12 months away from unrestricted FA he going to cave, and give up that right. Do you know how much D revis is going to make in 2014( so many teams bidding on him and gets to pick where he will finish his career.

Jets could get the greatest trade every made and it still doesn't matter if Revis says he isn't signing a contract extension with that team. Jet5 could over him a monster contract and he can say no, Im want to test FA. Where does that leave them.

Revis has made how much money since being in the NFL, he really going to worry that he could get hurt again and not get paid. Lloyd's of London will insure him from injury in 2013.

The Jets get one first round pick there GM did a great job. I think he leaves with Jewts gettinmg a late third round pick.
    Alot of accuracy in that post right there.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    You don't know that. All it takes is another freak injury that lands him on the IR again - then where is he?
    The only thing Revis has to worry about is a piano falling on him or getting hit by a bus. As evidenced by others before him, he can return from ACL injuries and that's pretty much what he has to worry about. Even if he tears his ACL while playing for the Jets, he'll still get a big deal in the offseason. At least, that's his mindset.

Unless someone offers up pretty close to what he will get on the free market, I don't see Revis agreeing to sign a long term deal with any trade partner the Jets find. So, any compensation the Jets get will be in line with a one year rental. And that won't be multiple first rounders.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ubrnostrum View Post
    Agreed, but what QB in this draft is going to survive behind our OL? Our guard situation is looking like 2007. If the Jets don't draft The best guard prospect in years, their shiny new QB will turn into Sanchez 2.0. Next year's crop is better.

Trading Revis won't get a QB earlier. What it may do is may make our offense better while still having a pretty good defense. Then, when the QB prospects are better, you take a swing at your franchise QB. It's called building your offense around the QB. It's what the Jets failed to do with Sanchez.
    A Rex Ryan team will always win playing conservative, close to the vest games winning with defense

Rex has proven he can take a marginal QB and win in the playoffs....I'd rather stick with what our identity is. After all these years, the Jets actually have an identity, and I'm good with it

LOL

You're kidding yourself if you honestly believe that.

For the past two years, he's made it abundantly clear that he wants to be the highest paid defender in NFL history.

Now he's just going to take what we offer him?

Yeah, okay.
    So, let me get this staright. If the Jets sign him to QB money, we're idiots. If some other team signs him for QB money, great move?

Revis can ask for QB, but he's not getting it... FROM ANYONE. I think that we've overlooked this point thus far.

Banned
    A Rex Ryan team will always win playing conservative, close to the vest games winning with defense
    That worked in the 1960's, not so much in today's NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That worked in the 1960's, not so much in today's NFL.
    Tex, you should spend less time on this board trying to figure out what the Jets should do with Revis, and more time on a Pats board trying to figure out how the Pats can get an NFL quality WR for Tom Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    That is the risk every player takes when they enter FA. This is a guy that has already made over 50 mill, and is a guy that has never been accused of living lavishly. His managers have done a fine job with the kid so far.

I really believe that he wants to hit FA, but would take a 12 mill contract to stay with the jets, but if he is traded, he will want every dollar out there.