Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: SI's King Says Elway Believes Revis is Missing Piece...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    actually i think the jets should trade back and take him and get an extra pick or two. i agree he's not a smart pick at #9, but i don't think warmack is either.
    I don't like hypotheticals.

Trading back is always easier said than done.

As it stands right now, we're picking #9 and assuming that we stay there, I'm going Warmack or Mingo.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    the guy i want is cordarelle patterson. his highlight tape is exceptional. his explosiveness is unreal. he can score in any way possible, running, receiving, punts and kickoffs. he's the guy we'll be watching this year on the dolphins or cowboys saying, 'why can't the jets draft players like that'. and we'll be watching a big guard.
    Watching Tyler Bray highlights I saw a worrying number of drops from both Patterson and Hunter

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No. You don't trade Revis. You try and sign him now that he's coming off a terrible injury.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't like hypotheticals.

Trading back is always easier said than done.

As it stands right now, we're picking #9 and assuming that we stay there, I'm going Warmack or Mingo.
    i understand you can't assume you can trade. that said, if they stay at 9, i'm still not on board with warmack. i'm also not in love iwth mingo either.

bottom line, whether they trade revis or not, idzik has his work cut out for him. he's got to be creative, accumulate additional picks and come away with some good offensive playmakers.

the jets can have a very good draft by taking warmack, a linebacker or safety in the 2nd and a running back in the 3rd, but it's following the same pattern as tanny and rex have established the past few years. the reality is that they can find good guards in later rounds, and the team's weakness - which even current players are complaining about, the lack of offensive playmakers - must be addressed early. even revis is defending sanchez to an extent. the entire defense is tired of the offense not scoring. it's got to start getting fixed, early in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    Watching Tyler Bray highlights I saw a worrying number of drops from both Patterson and Hunter
    patterson is a bit raw, hasn't had the prolific ncaa career as he was a juco transfer. as a talent he's tops. just throw him the ball and let him run. probably not worth the 9th pick but that guy is worth points.

i like bray more than all these other senior qbs, save gino. bray is better than glennon imo. he's smoother with a stronger arm. looks more natural with more touch.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    A Rex Ryan team will always win playing conservative, close to the vest games winning with defense

Rex has proven he can take a marginal QB and win in the playoffs....I'd rather stick with what our identity is. After all these years, the Jets actually have an identity, and I'm good with it
    So you don't go for a premier road grading Guard?

And we have a marginal QB on the roster whom we are committed to for one more year. And another two marginal ones behind him. Fits your scheme. Leave them be sans Tebow. Bring up Simms. Duke it out. Do whatever you can to protect the QB and run down their throats....

Final tryout for the QBs we've invested in. Get better protection for them and see what they can do with it. Then next year we target a higher caliber prospect at QB and put him behind an o-line that has played together for a year.

Oh, and I'm quite sure Rex wouldn't complain if he won a Super Bowl using a West Coast offense.

Out of curiosity, what QB would you bring in?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Because, then 1 injury (other than Brady) would not cost the season.
    Well there is only so much money to go around. the #2, 3 and 4 did thier jobs.
    The whole team came up short

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    patterson is a bit raw, hasn't had the prolific ncaa career as he was a juco transfer. as a talent he's tops. just throw him the ball and let him run. probably not worth the 9th pick but that guy is worth points.

i like bray more than all these other senior qbs, save gino. bray is better than glennon imo. he's smoother with a stronger arm. looks more natural with more touch.
    Patterson has talent for sure but with Stephen Hill I really think we need a 'hands' guy.Personally I like Quinton Patton but after the senior bowl the secret is out on him.Will be a great pro

I think Da'Rick Rogers could be an option if his character checks out.Was superb in that Vols offense and carried on producing at Tennessee Tech this year.At least as talented as CP but likely available from Rd 3.

Agree on Bray.

Interesting that all these recievers have been great with him at UT.Is it him making them look good or them making him look good?....either way I love watching Bray move and that arm is something else.I also wonder why people worry about he sidearm delivery.To me it seems like an asset that he can throw so accurately and with velocity from different angles.Seems a good short to intermediate passer with,like you said,nice touch but also throws a beautiful and effortless deep ball
    Last edited by Redlichtie; 01-28-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Fair points, but the problem with this thinking is a team like the Broncos. They can't wait for the 2014 to sign him. So they'll likely be willing to make the trade and extend Revis.

Revis will agree to a trade with any team that will pay him.
    Pay him what is the question. Revis has demonstrated that he doesn't want to get paid, he wants to get OVERpaid. He wants his contract to reflect that he's the best defensive player in the league. So, Mario's contract is a jumping off point.

If the Broncos want to give him $16 million a year, sure, he'll sign on the dotted line. But, is it reality to think that the Broncos would pay the biggest contract in the history of defense AND pay out the nose with draft picks?

The only precedent that we have to look at is Jared Allen and he was younger and was a pass rusher which is, at least in my mind, a more valuable position than CB. He also was playing under the high tender as an RFA and was about to be franchised - he didn't have freedom at the end of the tunnel.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Agreed, a new contract would have to be agreed in principle before the trade happens.
    Yep. Denver's #1 in 2014 and a #2 and #3 in 2013 would be ok.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i understand you can't assume you can trade. that said, if they stay at 9, i'm still not on board with warmack. i'm also not in love iwth mingo either.

bottom line, whether they trade revis or not, idzik has his work cut out for him. he's got to be creative, accumulate additional picks and come away with some good offensive playmakers.

the jets can have a very good draft by taking warmack, a linebacker or safety in the 2nd and a running back in the 3rd, but it's following the same pattern as tanny and rex have established the past few years. the reality is that they can find good guards in later rounds, and the team's weakness - which even current players are complaining about, the lack of offensive playmakers - must be addressed early. even revis is defending sanchez to an extent. the entire defense is tired of the offense not scoring. it's got to start getting fixed, early in the draft.
    I agree that the Jets need playmakers at just about every level but I don't think taking projects specifically at WR are going to solve that this year. If we keep Holmes and bring Edwards back, it might solve some of the issues at least temporarily, but it may stunt the growth of Kerley and Hill.

What we can do is shore up the OL because we need starters at at least 2 spots. We need to bring in a TE and RB to potentially replace Keller and Greene.

I honestly don't think we take a WR with the expectation of providing anything in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tebow must be part of that deal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The starting point in a Revis trade is a minimum of a 1st round pick. The question is ist rounder and what else? I can see a 2nd and 3rd in 2013 plus a 1st in 2014. Something in that range. When a team calls offering 2 second rounders you simply say that doesn't get it done for Revis but Cro may be available at that price.
    Not even a consideration without minimum of 1 and a 2nd. or 2 x #1's in off years obviously.

Don't want to trade Revis!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I agree that the Jets need playmakers at just about every level but I don't think taking projects specifically at WR are going to solve that this year. If we keep Holmes and bring Edwards back, it might solve some of the issues at least temporarily, but it may stunt the growth of Kerley and Hill.

What we can do is shore up the OL because we need starters at at least 2 spots. We need to bring in a TE and RB to potentially replace Keller and Greene.

I honestly don't think we take a WR with the expectation of providing anything in 2013.
    patterson is said to have 'natural hands', not like hill. also, he's way more explosive. hill is a tall, strider. patterson is like a taller percy harvin. he scores by getting a handoff and running 70 yards and on specials. he's a dynamic athlete. he's worth points every game. it all depends how myopic or creative you view offensive players.

the jets need guys who can score. we all know this. but saying that no offensive skill positions are worth drafting at #9 is not an acceptable reason to not draft one in the first round. i predict the jets will be able to move from 9, and also, that elite wrs will emerge from this draft, not to mention very talented rbs. idzik's task is to maximize each round's pick and come away with a balanced draft that has some offensive playmakers and some back 7 defensive players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    patterson is said to have 'natural hands', not like hill. also, he's way more explosive. hill is a tall, strider. patterson is like a taller percy harvin. he scores by getting a handoff and running 70 yards and on specials. he's a dynamic athlete. he's worth points every game. it all depends how myopic or creative you view offensive players.

the jets need guys who can score. we all know this. but saying that no offensive skill positions are worth drafting at #9 is not an acceptable reason to not draft one in the first round. i predict the jets will be able to move from 9, and also, that elite wrs will emerge from this draft, not to mention very talented rbs. idzik's task is to maximize each round's pick and come away with a balanced draft that has some offensive playmakers and some back 7 defensive players.
    Agree here but we also could do with a guy like Leon Washington,who we never properly replaced.McKnight may or may not flourish under Mornhinweg but if we get a chance to draft Tavon Austin then I actually think you have that guy who also can return and operate out of the backfield

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about we just take Denver's third round this year for their GM tampering?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Revis traded and brings draft picks, it opens up the cap. Jets biggest problem is offensive skill players. Here's a list of WR and TE free agents which ones fit best in a West Coast offense?

http://www2.footballsfuture.com/2013/fa/wr.html

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
    How about we just take Denver's third round this year for their GM tampering?
    I agree and I like the way your mind works.

We should also float the idea of getting additional compensation from the Patriots for Spygate now that there have been new revelations from Marshal Faulk.

Filthy disgusting Patriots.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    If Revis traded and brings draft picks, it opens up the cap. Jets biggest problem is offensive skill players. Here's a list of WR and TE free agents which ones fit best in a West Coast offense?

I personally really like Bowe and Hartline.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post

Not this year it doesn't.