Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SI's King Says Elway Believes Revis is Missing Piece...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Pinch yourself and wake up or else i am going to have to throw a bucket of cold water on u.
    Dont forget trade holmes in 2014 for another pick
    As a longtime Jet fan, I would be completely Ok rebuilding this team through the draft & a couple shrewd FA pickups in 2014 & 2015.

How awesome would it be to have a Seattle like complete team just in time for Bradys 40th birthday party & a 5/6 year window of kicking the living chit out of that Pats franchise & sending their fans back into their homes to cry in front of their big screen TVs while Gillette sits empty.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think we are getting a little too far ahead of ourselves with the multiple #1s or a #1 plus a #2/#3 etc. This is a guy who is coming off an injury who is under contract for 1 more year - why would a team give up a king's ransom for 1 year of Revis?

I know its fun to talk about and GM's are salivating at the thought of adding Revis, but unless they can agree to a monster contract in advance of completing the deal, I don't know why anyone would agree to trade a #1 + for a guy going into FA.

And, as we know, Revis doesn't do anyone favors in contract negotiations.
    I think the other team would only agree to the trade if they negotiated a new deal with Revis, which of course would be heavily contingent on him passing physicals and proving he was back in peak condition. As you said, it's too risky to trade a high draft pick for 1 year of a player, they would need to nail down something with Revis beforehand.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Someone's going to pay him...why not us when we are not paying HUGE money to a QB

Keep the man, he's the cornerstone of this franchise
    Agreed....we might even go 7 and 9 if we mortgage the future on Revis while Brick, Mangold and co. Get older.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I don't see anything in my "plan" that is particularly unrealistic. Most folsk here think Revis is wirth two #1's and then some. My deal is considerably less costly to the team aquiring him (and IMO far more realistic).

Sanchez for a 6th is a tough one, but far from impossible.

Trading down from our two #1's (under the above plan) to get 2nd's and 4th's is also not far fetched, assuming any trade partners exist.

More importantly, the ideals behind this all is what I support. Rebuilding the talent base with as many picks as possible, at the cost of as little as possible, i.e. Revis and Sanchez.

If we pull a Tanny, and trade up a few times and come away with three guys this draft...I will be displeased.
    Most folks around here i think still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny also. If we got all the picks for Revis, we could begin the rebuild in this draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Someone suggested this: Elvis Dummervil and a pick or picks. That would be one player that would help and fill a gap. I would like a 1st rounder next year though if possible.
    Yes please.

I don't trust this team with just getting picks and actually using them right. player plus picks would be our best bet.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What if he has an off season due to the knee...sort of like Brady did the year after his injury

A huge risk I don't think Revis is willing to take
    Sure that is a risk.

But what if he comes back and has an All-Pro season?

That would drive his price through the stratosphere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone's going to pay him...why not us when we are not paying HUGE money to a QB

Keep the man, he's the cornerstone of this franchise
    Why? This team is void of any legitimate play makers on offense and still doesnt have a pass rusher who can make even a moderate impact. Never mind the fact that the QB situation is terrible. Having a CB tying up 16-19 million in cap space is foolish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Someone suggested this: Elvis Dummervil and a pick or picks. That would be one player that would help and fill a gap. I would like a 1st rounder next year though if possible.
    Dumervill, a 2013 2nd rounder, and a 2014 first.

Even though the 2014 first will be 32nd overall.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowningNagle View Post
    Im sure any big offer will be contingent on working out a contract extension with Revis.

1st and a 2d is realistic...agree with the Denver logic. Hit while the iron is hot.
    Why would you assume that? Revis can either accept $12 - $13m a year this year or play out his contract, have another fantastic year and then have 10 teams bid against each other for his services.

Absent a team agreeing to give him $50m guaranteed and a deal bigger than Mario W's, I'm not sure that Revis will be so willing to agree to a deal with a new team this offseason. And if a team is going to give up that much cheddar, I doubt they want to give up more than a first rounder.

Maybe it will happen, but until the market develops, I'm skeptical.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Why? This team is void of any legitimate play makers on offense and still doesnt have a pass rusher who can make even a moderate impact. Never mind the fact that the QB situation is terrible. Having a CB tying up 16-19 million in cap space is foolish.
    exactly. the jets - idzik - has to face the reality that not only does the team need an influx of talent, it needs a new identity, one not focused on cornerbacks and rex ryan's defense. the team needs to (finally) invest in offensive playmakers in the first two rounds.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post

Revis is the best defensive player in the game.
    Why do you keep saying that?

Revis is not the best defensive player in the game.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Sure that is a risk.

But what if he comes back and has an All-Pro season?

That would drive his price through the stratosphere.
    If you are Revis do you take that chance or do you agree to a contract that is still nice money with a big signing bonus?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Why do you keep saying that?

Revis is not the best defensive player in the game.
    i think it would be interesting to poll all coaches and gms, and ask them if they'd prefer revis (pre acl) or watt, or someone else. same price. just pick one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    If you are Revis do you take that chance or do you agree to a contract that is still nice money with a big signing bonus?
    i doubt he takes the chance, as he witnessed leon gamble and lose.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i just can't get on board with the warmack pick. if there's any wr rated nearly as high i think that wr is more valuable. the jets need guys who can score, and if their draft starts out warmack and then a defensive player, they've completely squandared a great opportunity.
    Keenan Allen is the best WR in the draft and I wouldn't take him in the Top 20, much less the Top 10.

There isn't a single RB worth taking that high either and even though I like the TE Zach Ertz, I'm not taking a TE that high unless I think he's Gronk/Graham 2.0

Warmack is a total stud and arguably the safest pick in the draft. He's the kind of guy you plug in at LG from day one and not have to worry about that position again for over a decade.

Everyone loved DeCastro last year (including me) but when stacked up against Warmack, DeCastro looks like a chump in comparison. Warmack is just that good.

I think we could do a lot worse than plugging an all-pro in between Brick and Mangold. Especially if we're stuck with Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we are getting a little too far ahead of ourselves with the multiple #1s or a #1 plus a #2/#3 etc. This is a guy who is coming off an injury who is under contract for 1 more year - why would a team give up a king's ransom for 1 year of Revis?

I know its fun to talk about and GM's are salivating at the thought of adding Revis, but unless they can agree to a monster contract in advance of completing the deal, I don't know why anyone would agree to trade a #1 + for a guy going into FA.

And, as we know, Revis doesn't do anyone favors in contract negotiations.
    Flip this scenario around & imagine that the Jets just lost their home playoff in the 1st round giving up 3 HUGE passing plays!
    You have an old HOF QB on his last legs & suddenly a player of Darrelle Revis stature becomes available to you in a trade.
    If I'm John Elway or a Broncos fan, I'm pushing my cards ALL IN!
    Are you kidding me?
    Players like Revis don't grow on trees!
    Plus they know it's a low 1st rounder, they ASSUME that next years picks will also be low rounders.
    It is completely not out of questions to see a scenario that unfolds like Warfish has posted.
    Denver would go INSANE for Revis Island, their fans are passionate. I think they would be the Jets trading partner.
    Then we all hope Payton slinks to the sideline with a non life threatening injury & we laugh all the way to the draft bank.
    Last edited by jetster; 01-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you assume that? Revis can either accept $12 - $13m a year this year or play out his contract, have another fantastic year and then have 10 teams bid against each other for his services.

Absent a team agreeing to give him $50m guaranteed and a deal bigger than Mario W's, I'm not sure that Revis will be so willing to agree to a deal with a new team this offseason. And if a team is going to give up that much cheddar, I doubt they want to give up more than a first rounder.

Maybe it will happen, but until the market develops, I'm skeptical.
    revis loves $ more than anything....if he can cash in a year early without having to prove his knee is sound or risk another injury I dont see why not....as long as the price is right. All we need is one team to be desperate enough to do it.....

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Keenan Allen is the best WR in the draft and I wouldn't take him in the Top 20, much less the Top 10.

There isn't a single RB worth taking that high either and even though I like the TE Zach Ertz, I'm not taking a TE that high unless I think he's Gronk/Graham 2.0

Warmack is a total stud and arguably the safest pick in the draft. He's the kind of guy you plug in at LG from day one and not have to worry about that position again for over a decade.

Everyone loved DeCastro last year (including me) but when stacked up against Warmack, DeCastro looks like a chump in comparison. Warmack is just that good.

I think we could do a lot worse than plugging an all-pro in between Brick and Mangold. Especially if we're stuck with Sanchez.
    I agree - we need good players....I would be fine with taking a 10 yr stud at G even if the value says roll the dice with a lesser player at a more premium position. It all starts at the OL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I think Revis will take the chance and plays it out.

He's all about the $$$ and the best way to drive that up is to have another All-Pro season coming off a serious injury.

He'd be in the driver's seat if he hits FA as a 2013 All Pro.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is coming back from an ACL injury, all in all it is a fairly routine injury these days. If you look at the money some of these CBs are making, even if Revis is off his game a little he will still command 12 million a year. He is going to get a big signing bonus no matter what. The only thing Revis risks by playing out the year is the difference in making 12 million a year or 16 million a year.