Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 is a Better draft then 2013?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2014 draft seems loaded with skill position players much more then this draft..

With Manziel Boyd and Bridgewater next year thats the when we draft a qb.. no reason to take a mediocre one this year..

This makes me want to trade Revis for a pick next year insetad of this even more and could be a silver lining for a potential ****ty year again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johhny Johnson View Post
    The 2014 draft seems loaded with skill position players much more then this draft..

With Manziel Boyd and Bridgewater next year thats the when we draft a qb.. no reason to take a mediocre one this year..

This makes me want to trade Revis for a pick next year insetad of this even more and could be a silver lining for a potential ****ty year again.
    Manziel will not be eligible next year, and even if he were IMO I don't think he will be much at the pro level.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Manziel will not be eligible next year, and even if he were IMO I don't think he will be much at the pro level.
    Yes he will be eligible. He will have completed his redshirt sophmore season which is enough to be draft eligible (3 years after HS graduation)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will. He will probably end up being the biggest talking point of the draft.

How does Watkins project in the NFL? AJ Green level prospect?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Right now the consensus seems to be that the top of the 2014 draft will be stronger than this year's. Bridgewater, Clowney and Manziel are all better than any player in this year's draft.
    ....and this time last year, Matt Barkley was the consensus lock #1 overall selection this year. Then we started watching him play a little more closely and started nitpicking all of his flaws, and now he's not even sniffing the top of the draft class anymore. Part of the flaw of looking years in advance of the draft is you're inherently not doing as much homework on those guys.

Take Johnny Football for example, amazing college football player, but how many 6 foot Quarterbacks with average at best arm strength transition to the NFL? And those that do certainly don't go in the Top 5 draft picks. Hell, the only 6 foot Quarterback in recent memory I can even think of that went that high was Michael Vick, and Manziel doesn't run a 4.3 and he certainly doesn't have Vick's cannon arm. Much better ball placement, sure. But that only gets you so far. The idea that Manziel would go #1 in this draft class, or even above Geno Smith is flat out comical.

Bridgewater I do like, but I also have significant concerns about the quality of his opposition (or lack thereof) making people think he's better then he actually is.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A dream draft for myself would be Clowney after somehow getting a high enough pick for him, then using a 2nd-4th rounder on Derek Carr, kid is a leader on and off the field, with a big arm, good speed, ability to make quick reads and be accurate he is worth the pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    ....and this time last year, Matt Barkley was the consensus lock #1 overall selection this year. Then we started watching him play a little more closely and started nitpicking all of his flaws, and now he's not even sniffing the top of the draft class anymore. Part of the flaw of looking years in advance of the draft is you're inherently not doing as much homework on those guys.

Take Johnny Football for example, amazing college football player, but how many 6 foot Quarterbacks with average at best arm strength transition to the NFL? And those that do certainly don't go in the Top 5 draft picks. Hell, the only 6 foot Quarterback in recent memory I can even think of that went that high was Michael Vick, and Manziel doesn't run a 4.3 and he certainly doesn't have Vick's cannon arm. Much better ball placement, sure. But that only gets you so far. The idea that Manziel would go #1 in this draft class, or even above Geno Smith is flat out comical.

Bridgewater I do like, but I also have significant concerns about the quality of his opposition (or lack thereof) making people think he's better then he actually is.
    +1 very well said IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Manziel 6"0 LMAO! He is barely 5'10

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Generally I agree with your last part but he played tremendously against a great Florida defense in the bowl game... this kid is a player and has that certain "it factor" you look for in your Qb...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manziel 6"0 LMAO! He is barely 5'10
    Was just rolling with his listed height....but yeah, point taken.

Generally I agree with your last part but he played tremendously against a great Florida defense in the bowl game... this kid is a player and has that certain "it factor" you look for in your Qb...
    Sample size.... one game against a team that was probably overlooking their opponent is nice, but you're overrating it. I'd also point out that Bridgewater really only played a good half of that game, he did practically nothing in the second half.

I just put more stock in guys that have had to go through a tougher conference where they were playing higher quality teams week in and week out. Louisville doesn't have to do that, and it's gonna get even worse next year with the way the Big East is falling apart.

That's not to say I don't like Bridgewater, I do, I'm just not convinced he's an Andrew Luck-type 'cant-miss' prospect.