Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 is a Better draft then 2013?

2014 is a Better draft then 2013?

Ive seen this in so many threads here and on DraftInsider that it warrants mentioning.

While there are "possible" franchise Qbs (Bridgewater) next year and the best pass rusher in the last 20 years to come out of college, how can anyone say that draft is better then this one?

Taking it a step further, why dont we look at it as which draft is the best "FOR THE JETS".

We are not in the top 5, so even if Luck was in this draft we wouldnt get him.

There are few "consensus top 3-5 guys" which means things could unfold in a number of ways and holding the number 9 pick is not terrible by any means as far as finding a pass rusher/OLB (dion jordan, ziggy ansah, mingo) that is the BPA and fits a need or trading down to stockpile picks.

But even moreso for the jets, this draft happens to have a lot of players at positions we need.

1. Multiple guards who will be available in the 2-3rd round area - Yes (warford, winters, barret jones, pugh)

2. A west coast offense QB who will be availabe outside of the top 8 picks.

3. Multiple running backs that will be around from 2-5th area (stephan taylor, gillesee, randle, graham, even lattimore).

4. Some RT prospects that should also be availabe in the mid rounds like jordan mills, ricky wagner, aboushi)

5. A deep safety class that should allow for us to find a safety we like in rounds 3-7 (phillip thomas, cyprien, etc)

6. Decent late round TE options like Fauria, chris pantale, etc that can block.

Obviously, to an extent, there are mid round players at these positions in every draft but it seems like if you are the jets and you need to replace an OLB, at least one guard, find a swing/starting RT, a second string RB, a blocking TE and a safety this is a pretty good draft to address those positions.

Is there a trent richardson, no. Definitely no andrew luck or clowney. But unless you are picking in the top 3 those players dont matter. I think this draft might lack a "marquee superstar" but if you need to build a roster, I think there is a lot to like about the 2013 group

Rounds 2-4 are strong in 2013.

The top of 2014 looks amazing. Clowney is the best defensive prospect since Lawrence Taylor. Bridgewater is similar to Cam Newton.

And Manziel could be good.

But the real kicker is TJ Yeldon. Yeldon looks better than both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson did as freshmen.

Yeldon will be eligible that year, following his junior season, assuming no injury and he declares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkC86GVu_mg

Yeldon will be better than Lacey. Lacey and Glennon both getting considered as top-tier first rounders is a large testament to how weak the top of the 2013 draft is.

Lacey is less appealing in round 1 than a completely blown leg Marcus Lattimore is in round 3.

Speaking of which, since 2013 is essentially a loss, the Jets should draft Lattimore.

One advantage of having many holes to fill in a draft, you can pretty much pick BPA for a least 3-4 rounds. Other than CB,LT,C, and D-Line, Jets can take best player on board. They should easily get 3-4 starters in this draft. I just hope that Idzik listens to his scouts on draft day, and when it's time for our pick he tells Rex to go out and pick up lunch. Also, will be interesting to see how he shakes up scouting personnel after the draft. Sure he's got guys on his list that he knows/trusts from all his years in the business.

Yeldon really impressed me. He seems a wee bit slight but he has excellent '1st player miss' moves, knows to go north and south when required and a few other little things, one being, as shown in that image he already carries the ball high and it is tucked tight.

if the jets do deal revis, i hope they get a 1st rounder in 2014 as part of the package. they have to put themselves in a position to get a qb in the first round, and we know it's highly unlikely that even if they do draft a qb this year, that he'll be really good.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Rounds 2-4 are strong in 2013.

The top of 2014 looks amazing. Clowney is the best defensive prospect since Lawrence Taylor. Bridgewater is similar to Cam Newton.

And Manziel could be good.

But the real kicker is TJ Yeldon. Yeldon looks better than both Mark Ingram and Trent Richardson did as freshmen.

Yeldon will be eligible that year, following his junior season, assuming no injury and he declares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkC86GVu_mg

Yeldon will be better than Lacey. Lacey and Glennon both getting considered as top-tier first rounders is a large testament to how weak the top of the 2013 draft is.

Lacey is less appealing in round 1 than a completely blown leg Marcus Lattimore is in round 3.

Speaking of which, since 2013 is essentially a loss, the Jets should draft Lattimore.
    LOL what?

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    LOL what?
    6'3", 220lbs. Huge arm. Great speed.

Better prospect than Geno Smith. By a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if the jets do deal revis, i hope they get a 1st rounder in 2014 as part of the package. they have to put themselves in a position to get a qb in the first round, and we know it's highly unlikely that even if they do draft a qb this year, that he'll be really good.
    I'll take Clowney if they get a decent developmental guy this year like Nassib, Wilson, or Manuel and they actually progress.
    Last edited by PMarsico9; 01-28-2013 at 02:24 PM.

I really don't see anything QB wise that makes me think next years class is better. There is seriously not one SR worth more then a 3rd next year and the underclass is very shaky. Guys like Carr and Zach Mettenberger don't thrill me sorry. Your basically hoping someone comes out of no where with better talent then Barkley, Wilson, or Smith and it isn't happening.

Then there are the under class man your "hoping declares". Bridgewater reminds me too much of Brohm. I liked Brohm more then Bridgewater after 2 years but he never grew as a QB. I wouldn't hang my hat on thinking he is going to be a better prospect then Geno Smith who is a lot more proven. Manziel is just small. Dont get me wrong I like small QBs but not in the 1st. He is anther 2-3 round talent with a high bust probability. With a 4.52 40 and his size he is not a Vick, Newton, RG3 upside guy. He is Russel Wilson at best I don't see 1st round value there at all. Out side of that maybe Driskel declares early too. Only guy I'd even consider taking with a 1st right now in that group. It is not top end heavy and not very deep. This draft may not be top end heavy but has 6 or 7 prospects worth 1-2 round consideration. Next year maybe 4-5 guys at most.

Dont see the comparison with Bridgewater and Newton at all. Yes they are both black and have strong arms but Teddy is a pure pocket passer who can use his legs to escape. Cam utilizes the read option play a lot and that is something Teddy will not do. Also do not see the Brohm and Teddy comparison at all besides the fact they are both from Louisville.

If the Jets get a top 2 pick in 2014 id be thrilled

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez7 View Post
    Dont see the comparison with Bridgewater and Newton at all. Yes they are both black and have strong arms but Teddy is a pure pocket passer who can use his legs to escape. Cam utilizes the read option play a lot and that is something Teddy will not do. Also do not see the Brohm and Teddy comparison at all besides the fact they are both from Louisville.

Thank you.

Comparing the two screams that you actually haven't seen Bridgewater play

Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez7 View Post

1) Size
    2) Huge Arm
    3) Bridgewater is superior at reading defenses, but is mobile.

Bridgewater, the kid from Miami who's name escapes me, Manziel, Yeldon, and Clowney all would be the first overall pick in this draft if they were coming out this season.

Trading out of the first round this year, potentially sweetening the pot for a Revis deal, makes so much sense. If you can land a first rounder next year and bolster your 2nd-4th round this season, then that's a good trade.

You get compensation for Revis, who you can't resign anyway, you get a second first rounder next season, which could, even if you don't suck as bad as we can all hope, would allow you to move up into the top 5 if you aren't there already.

And even if you are, you still have 2 first rounders. Which is exactly what a re-building franchise needs.

Ask Bill Parcells.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    1) Size
    2) Huge Arm
    3) Bridgewater is superior at reading defenses, but is mobile.

Bridgewater, the kid from Miami who's name escapes me, Manziel, Yeldon, and Clowney all would be the first overall pick in this draft if they were coming out this season.

Trading out of the first round this year, potentially sweetening the pot for a Revis deal, makes so much sense. If you can land a first rounder next year and bolster your 2nd-4th round this season, then that's a good trade.

You get compensation for Revis, who you can't resign anyway, you get a second first rounder next season, which could, even if you don't suck as bad as we can all hope, would allow you to move up into the top 5 if you aren't there already.

And even if you are, you still have 2 first rounders. Which is exactly what a re-building franchise needs.

Ask Bill Parcells.
    yes. getting a first next year if they deal revis is a smart move. a pick this year, a player, and a first next year. parlay that pick into a qb next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Right now the consensus seems to be that the top of the 2014 draft will be stronger than this year's. Bridgewater, Clowney and Manziel are all better than any player in this year's draft.

Also 2014 has Lee, Watkins, Tuitt, Barr that all look like future studs

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Ive seen this in so many threads here and on DraftInsider that it warrants mentioning.

While there are "possible" franchise Qbs (Bridgewater) next year and the best pass rusher in the last 20 years to come out of college, how can anyone say that draft is better then this one?

Taking it a step further, why dont we look at it as which draft is the best "FOR THE JETS".

We are not in the top 5, so even if Luck was in this draft we wouldnt get him.

There are few "consensus top 3-5 guys" which means things could unfold in a number of ways and holding the number 9 pick is not terrible by any means as far as finding a pass rusher/OLB (dion jordan, ziggy ansah, mingo) that is the BPA and fits a need or trading down to stockpile picks.

But even moreso for the jets, this draft happens to have a lot of players at positions we need.

1. Multiple guards who will be available in the 2-3rd round area - Yes (warford, winters, barret jones, pugh)

2. A west coast offense QB who will be availabe outside of the top 8 picks.

3. Multiple running backs that will be around from 2-5th area (stephan taylor, gillesee, randle, graham, even lattimore).

4. Some RT prospects that should also be availabe in the mid rounds like jordan mills, ricky wagner, aboushi)

5. A deep safety class that should allow for us to find a safety we like in rounds 3-7 (phillip thomas, cyprien, etc)

6. Decent late round TE options like Fauria, chris pantale, etc that can block.

Obviously, to an extent, there are mid round players at these positions in every draft but it seems like if you are the jets and you need to replace an OLB, at least one guard, find a swing/starting RT, a second string RB, a blocking TE and a safety this is a pretty good draft to address those positions.

Is there a trent richardson, no. Definitely no andrew luck or clowney. But unless you are picking in the top 3 those players dont matter. I think this draft might lack a "marquee superstar" but if you need to build a roster, I think there is a lot to like about the 2013 group
    Who is the passrusher you are referring to as the best in 20 years?

I kind of hope we lose every game so we can get Bridgewater.. He is a prospect who may rank as high as Luck.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    Who is the passrusher you are referring to as the best in 20 years?

I kind of hope we lose every game so we can get Bridgewater.. He is a prospect who may rank as high as Luck.
    Jadeveon Clowney. Look him up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Jadeveon Clowney. Look him up.
    Oh yeah. I knew that. He is a stud. Didn't think of it for some reason.

Tajh Boyd QB/Clemson is another playmaker QB headed to the nfl next yr. Dont sleep peep!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    Tajh Boyd QB/Clemson is another playmaker QB headed to the nfl next yr. Dont sleep peep!
    I like him too.