Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Believe it or not: PFF has us as #3 OL in 2012

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not: PFF has us as #3 OL in 2012

Throw away another stupid excuse for the Sanchez apologists out there

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-lines/4/

3. New York Jets (12)

PB – 7th, RB – 3rd, PEN – 3rd

Stud: There were plenty of contenders here, but given some of the guys he kept in check, credit to D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+23.5) for a fine year.

Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.

Summary: Everybody wants to poke fun at the Jets, and for some reason the offensive line got caught in the crossfire. It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team. Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore played angry, while Austin Howard found his feet as an NFL tackle. Still, a line can only do so much to put skill players in position to do good things, and in that regard the Jets are sorely lacking.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not a surprise to anyone who actually attributes and offenses success to the QB play.

Sanchez cannot recognize fronts or blitzes and NEVER moves guys around to pick up free runners. He holds the ball too long and has zero pocket presence...it wasnt the line.

Plus 2 other factors:

Our OC was clueless....SD blitzed mcelroy on every play, yet we ran 1 screen and 1 misdrection pass (both of which were 20 yard gains) to combat that.

Our stating RB was arguably the slowest in the league and cant catch, meaning he could be covered by an ILB which allows OLBS/safeties to help in other areas.

It wasnt the Olines fault.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just more proof that the biggest problem with our offense was and is Sanchez.

We still need to upgrade RB and WR but QB is our weakest position by far.

Looks like even our "worst" OL graded out in the green. I knocked him after he was hired b.c of what he said about Hunter but I think Guge did a decent job. Too bad for him that he voiced his frustration with being forced to play a guy.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 01-28-2013 at 02:20 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why are u surprised the unit stabilized once Hunter got replaced by Howard..

And got better almost every week .

To bad our qb and skill players where terrible and got worst every week.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still want Warmack

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Its not a surprise to anyone who actually attributes and offenses success to the QB play.

Sanchez cannot recognize fronts or blitzes and NEVER moves guys around to pick up free runners. He holds the ball too long and has zero pocket presence...it wasnt the line.

Plus 2 other factors:

Our OC was clueless....SD blitzed mcelroy on every play, yet we ran 1 screen and 1 misdrection pass (both of which were 20 yard gains) to combat that.

Our stating RB was arguably the slowest in the league and cant catch, meaning he could be covered by an ILB which allows OLBS/safeties to help in other areas.

It wasnt the Olines fault.
    Good post. I'm sure it will be ignored.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I still want Warmack
    So do I.

Or I want a RT and have Howard move inside.

Either way I want a 1st round lineman.

We may be the third ranked OL but the difference between us and SF is night and day.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I still want Warmack
    Quote Originally Posted by PFF
    Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    PFF is a bunch of geeks that used to grade players based on TV film-Duh.

You watched the games, did you see holes for the RB? Did you see Sanchez stay in the pocket like Manning, Brady, Ryan, Schaub, and have nobody near them while they waited for somebody to break open? Was Moore able to pull and get to the LB inthe 2nd level? These guys are the same guys that did not have Brady or Manning in the top 12 QBs a couple of years ago.

Serious, how do they know what line call was made and who had what gap. Do they know if the RB was to pick up the outside blitzer or was the OT to slide. These things don't even take into consideration the competition as if every oline played the same level of DLine as every other.
    Last edited by patman; 01-28-2013 at 02:34 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't rip on something because you don't understand it. You sound like the guys who rip on sabermetric stats in baseball and suck off awful stats like RBI. Go do a little learning.

By the way, Pats had the #2 OL with their stats.

"Oh, really? PFF rules!"

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

You watched the games, did you see holes for the RB? Did you see Sanchez stay in the pocket like Manning, Brady, Ryan, Schaub, and have nobody near them while they waited for somebody to break open? Was Moore able to pull and get to the LB inthe 2nd level? These guys are the same guys that did not have Brady or Manning in the top 12 QBs a couple of years ago.

Serious, how do they know what line call was made and who had what gap. Do they know if the RB was to pick up the outside blitzer or was the OT to slide. These things don't even take into consideration the competition as if every oline played the same level of DLine as every other.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not going to as far as patman, but I mostly agree. There is simply no way the Jets were the 3rd best Oline. And I put a lot of blame on Sanchez, but there were times where he had no chance at all.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    Don't rip on something because you don't understand it. You sound like the guys who rip on sabermetric stats in baseball and suck off awful stats like RBI. Go do a little learning.

By the way, Pats had the #2 OL with their stats.

"Oh, really? PFF rules!"
    This.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    They improved dramatically in the 2H. Remember how effective our running game was later on? Greene and Powell made **** happen. Sanchez held onto the ball for too long most of the time. HE SUCKED.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    When we had Faneca and Damien Woody the line was opening massive holes for the backs and Sanchez had more time to go through his progressions. The current line is average at best, we need a new RT and LG. Not buying their analysis.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Salz View Post
    They improved dramatically in the 2H. Remember how effective our running game was later on? Greene and Powell made **** happen. Sanchez held onto the ball for too long most of the time. HE SUCKED.
    I agree with all of that. They definitely improved, Greene and Powell looked a lot better and Sanchez absolutely sucks.

But, that doesn't make them the 3rd best in the league. It makes them better than the crap line they were in the beginning of the season. I haven't looked at the PFF list but there is simply no way the Jets Oline was the third best in the league. That's just based on watching the games.

Did you think that whilst watching?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not going to as far as patman, but I mostly agree. There is simply no way the Jets were the 3rd best Oline. And I put a lot of blame on Sanchez, but there were times where he had no chance at all.
    Even if you don't believe they were #3, this does help prove the point that they weren't the reason the offense was terrible.

Sanchez is the major issue with this team. Get a quality QB and this team becomes very competitive.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    When we had Faneca and Damien Woody the line was opening massive holes for the backs and Sanchez had more time to go through his progressions. The current line is average at best, we need a new RT and LG. Not buying their analysis.
    and he still never completed 60 per cent of his passes. He never was a dominant QB even with Faneca and Woody. If you want to win a SB, a great to elite QB is a must these days. Suckchez is none of the above.

The fact that the OL is now rated 3rd best in the NFL takes another excuse away from the Sanchez fans. They just refuse to believe that their hero sucks! I think the LT allowed way too many pressures this year. Yet the focus is on Slauson and Howard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Even if you don't believe they were #3, this does help prove the point that they weren't the reason the offense was terrible.

Sanchez is the major issue with this team. Get a quality QB and this team becomes very competitive.
    AMEN! +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You give up 47 sacks when you threw the football a lot less than most teams did. You give up that many and It hard to put any oline in the top ten with stats like that.. (not to mention the 3 best oline)

Look like someone look at the Names(D Brickshaw Ferguson, Mangold and Moore) and said wow that's alot of talent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

I'm the first guy to agree with that. JMO, but the Jets could use an upgrade at Oline. But, the Jets NEED an upgrade to the production they got at QB (whether its a magical resurrection from Sanchez or someone new).

But putting them in the top 3 is just silly. I dont know what their criteria is or who is charting their plays, but it doesn't past the smell test.