Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: alex smith likely to ask for release.

Why all the hate for Smith, the guy is an average QB that is tailored made for the WCO. he has a super quick release and is accurate. It is like your minimizing what he is because it took him 5 years to become that player.

If Brady retired tomorrow Smith would be my 1st choice to lead the pats over Moore, Campbell whoever. This guy played big in the playoffs last year, if the 49ers did not fumble two kickoffs, they may very well have won the SB.

Smith is the guy you wanted Sanchez to become. I don't get it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    No interest at all.

Alex Smith will stink anywhere outside of the 49ers.
    Truth. Harbaugh set up the offense to mute the large amount of Alex's weakness, which is everything except being "smart"... he's basically a clone of Trent Dilfer. He's also got a great receiving corps, running game and dominant offensive line.

But hey, I'll take a Revis for Smith swap as Niner fan

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why all the hate for Smith, the guy is an average QB that is tailored made for the WCO. he has a super quick release and is accurate. It is like your minimizing what he is because it took him 5 years to become that player.

If Brady retired tomorrow Smith would be my 1st choice to lead the pats over Moore, Campbell whoever. This guy played big in the playoffs last year, if the 49ers did not fumble two kickoffs, they may very well have won the SB.

Smith is the guy you wanted Sanchez to become. I don't get it at all.
    Smith's release isn't super quick (its improved but far from quick compared to other NFL starters) and he isn't really accurate either (he throws mostly only to wide open receivers and avoids anything risky and his timing passes are pretty attrocious). Its the system that Harbaugh set up for him so he can look like that.

He might work in the dink and dunk offense of NE but he STINKS throwing deep and extremely slow at making more than two reads (primary and dump off), and can't handle when the play breaks down so good luck with that. If the Pats were to acquire any current QB to run the Belichick offense, you probably want to do a lot better than Smith.
    Last edited by 49ersJetsfan; 01-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    Smith's release isn't super quick (its improved but far from quick compared to other NFL starters) and he isn't really accurate either (he throws mostly only to wide open receivers and avoids anything risky and his timing passes are pretty attrocious). Its the system that Harbaugh set up for him so he can look like that.

He might work in the dink and dunk offense of NE but he STINKS throwing deep and extremely slow at making more than two reads (primary and dump off), and can't handle when the play breaks down so good luck with that. If the Pats were to acquire any current QB to run the Belichick offense, you probably want to do a lot better than Smith.
    Aka, he's Sanchez but a little more accurate.

Smith is a bust. He will always be a bust.

Aka, he's Sanchez but a little more accurate.

Smith is a bust. He will always be a bust.
    Bingo. He's just Sanchez with better coaching. Two years ago, he was exactly where Sanchez is today, but less accomplished since Mark made two AFC Championships.

What do you think morningwhig is going to run next year as an offense? Quick hits.

Big deal the coach designs plays that allow him to complete 70% of his passes, he still completes them with a 3-1 td to int ratio.

Oh, you want a guy that completes 70% of his passes has a 3-1 td to int ratio and throws a good deep ball, good luck getting Marino to come out of retirement.

As far as his progressions go, I have no idea I only seen him play 4 or 5 games over the last two years. But he certainly had no trouble with progressions in the title game last year. That TD to Davis was at least the 3rd read.

What FA QB is going to be better than smith in the jets offense next year?

Other than maybe a Sanchez-for-Smith strait-up trade, I'm not that interested in Smith.

Bingo. He's just Sanchez with better coaching. Two years ago, he was exactly where Sanchez is today, but less accomplished since Mark made two AFC Championships.
    60% completion and a 14-10 td to int and 4 fumbles is where Sanchez is now?
    that was where Smith was 3 years ago, and who cares what kind of qb they were years ago, it is what kind of qb they are going to be next year.

What do you think morningwhig is going to run next year as an offense? Quick hits.

Big deal the coach designs plays that allow him to complete 70% of his passes, he still completes them with a 3-1 td to int ratio.

Oh, you want a guy that completes 70% of his passes has a 3-1 td to int ratio and throws a good deep ball, good luck getting Marino to come out of retirement.

As far as his progressions go, I have no idea I only seen him play 4 or 5 games over the last two years. But he certainly had no trouble with progressions in the title game last year. That TD to Davis was at least the 3rd read.

What FA QB is going to be better than smith in the jets offense next year?
    There's so much wrong with this perception:

A) Smith is expensive. He's not worth even close to what he's getting paid.

B) Matt Moore and Campbell are both more appealing. They'll be cheaper and Moore especially has won games in the NFL. Smith will only not lose you games.

C) Smith was AWFUL until Harbaugh got there and essentially said "You are not going to lose games for this team." Harbaugh is an excellent head coach and offensive mind. We don't have Harbaugh.

D) The Jets don't have Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, LaMichael James, Delaney Walker, or the talent at guard. The big one of course being Vernon Davis who's lack of production can largely be attributed to Smith's inability to fit anything into a window smaller than an International Truck.

If you don't know, Davis is arguably the most talented offensive player in the league. He runs a 4.3 and is 6'3", 260 lbs and plays TE. I'd take him ahead of Gronk.

E) You can't notice how bad Smith was prior to Harbaugh then give Harbaugh credit for re-vamping the offensive system then not give Harbaugh credit for swapping to Kaepernick.

Harbaugh is displaying something for everybody here:

Kaepernick is the type of QB who can win you football games. Smith at his best doesn't lose them for you.

Which leads me to my final statement:

Niners remain undefeated in Super Bowl play Sunday.

60% completion and a 14-10 td to int and 4 fumbles is where Sanchez is now?
    that was where Smith was 3 years ago, and who cares what kind of qb they were years ago, it is what kind of qb they are going to be next year.
    I've watched every single snap he's ever taken. Smith sucks. He's simply another Trent Dilfer. If that's what you want in a QB (avoids mistakes by avoiding all risks and dumps off to the safety valve all the time, can't convert 3rd downs, can't convert red zone opportunities, and 3-and-out 95% of the time), then great LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    SF will not want him to go to AZ - which is why they might entertain a low-ish draft pick and Smith agree to sign a new deal, that way Smith still gets some say in where he ends up, and SF get him out of the division.
    I highly doubt the Niners are afraid of dealing with Alex Smith in Arizona, he isn't that good. its not like our situation with Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    I highly doubt the Niners are afraid of dealing with Alex Smith in Arizona, he isn't that good. its not like our situation with Revis.
    highly doubt he wants to go there either and face the 49ers' front 7 twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Other than maybe a Sanchez-for-Smith strait-up trade, I'm not that interested in Smith.
    ^
    This

B) Matt Moore and Campbell are both more appealing. They'll be cheaper and Moore especially has won games in the NFL. Smith will only not lose you games.

C) Smith was AWFUL until Harbaugh got there and essentially said "You are not going to lose games for this team." Harbaugh is an excellent head coach and offensive mind. We don't have Harbaugh.

D) The Jets don't have Vernon Davis, Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, LaMichael James, Delaney Walker, or the talent at guard. The big one of course being Vernon Davis who's lack of production can largely be attributed to Smith's inability to fit anything into a window smaller than an International Truck.

If you don't know, Davis is arguably the most talented offensive player in the league. He runs a 4.3 and is 6'3", 260 lbs and plays TE. I'd take him ahead of Gronk.

E) You can't notice how bad Smith was prior to Harbaugh then give Harbaugh credit for re-vamping the offensive system then not give Harbaugh credit for swapping to Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is the type of QB who can win you football games. Smith at his best doesn't lose them for you.

First- this is not Kapernick vs Smith

How do you know what his price will be when he is a FA?

What does Harbaugh have as an OC that is so much better than Morniweig?

I don't see how not losing games is a bad thing.

Davis over Gronk? let me know the next time you see him block a DE, it will be his 1st.

All Pro

Alex Smith's time with San Francisco 49ers nears end

Sounds like Smith will be hitting the market. Yipeee!

Alex Smith knows he is entering his final days as a San Francisco 49er.

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com reports that Smith will not be a member of the team next year. The 49ers will try to trade him, but will cut him early out of respect to Smith if nothing happens quickly.

The news of Smith's eventual departure is not a huge shock, but it's very notable the team would be amenable to possibly cutting Smith. Rapoport notes that the 49ers have a strong relationship with Smith and his agent Tom Condon. They believe he's earned the right to pick a team and be treated right.

So what teams are interested in Alex Smith?

So far: The Buffalo Bills, Arizona Cardinals, Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs. The New York Jets have not shown interest yet. (Of course, any official contact would be against league rules at this stage.)
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...9ers-nears-end

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    never would happen. the Niners aren't looking to take on more money and downgrade at the position. Likely they will either a trade for a pick or just cut him.

Agree with everything here except for the insanity in the bold. Vern is a monster, but his lack of production isn't all smith. He has had 2 good games in what, 10 weeks with Kap as the starter? Something's up with Vern. Maybe he's blocking more, maybe he's not getting open. I don't know what, but something is up with him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sounds like Smith will be hitting the market. Yipeee!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...9ers-nears-end
    Also sounds like there'll be several suitors ... which works in Smith's favour in terms of $$$. Something we don't have a lot of to throw around in 2013.

Smith makes a lot of sense for the WCO, but he'll be too costly. He's better than Sanchez, period. He was better than Sanchez before Harbaugh got there, period. They're both game managers, but Smith has always been and always will be better. Bottom line though, Smith won't be a Jet.

Personally I think the marriage with Andy Reid in Kansas City will be a perfect fit. There's no QB worthy of the #1 overall pick and Reid has gotten the most out of cast away veterans. It would also be great for Smith to fall back on a RB like Jamaal Charles.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Alex Smith has 7.5 million reasons to believe he won’t be with the San Francisco 49ers next season, but the No. 1 overall selection of the 2005 NFL Draft has never been more in demand.

Supplanted as the 49ers starting quarterback in November by multi-talented backup Colin Kaepernick, Smith, 28, figures to be the most sought-after veteran quarterback this offseason. He helped carry the 49ers to the NFC Championship Game in 2011, and got them off to a good start this season before a concussion felled him briefly.

By dutifully following the letter of the NFL’s concussion protocol — sit, wait for a doctor’s clearance — Smith should have received the customary fruit basket welcoming his return to the starting job. But 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh went rogue by traditional NFL standards, and stuck with who he believed was the best available QB for his team. By Week 13, that happened to be Kaepernick.

Lugging around a $7.5 million guaranteed salary for 2013, Smith was the most expensive — and in-demand — backup player roaming the field at Super Bowl XLVII Media Day in New Orleans on Tuesday.

“That’s my job — be ready to go,” he said of his support role behind Kaepernick. “It’s a crazy game. Crazy things happen, and my job now is to be ready to go at a moment’s notice.

“Things happen in sports. This is the deal. For me, it’s just being ready for the next opportunity. That’s what I can control.”

He said he had “no idea” why it has been reported he is seeking an outright release from the 49ers, rather than hope for the best in a trade. Fact is, Smith may not have to worry about the semantics regarding his anticipated departure from the only NFL team he has ever known.

With numerous teams — the Browns, Bills, Chiefs, Cardinals at the forefront, as well as the Eagles — expressing interest in Smith, NFL sources told FOXSports.com late Tuesday the 49ers are eager to work out a draft-pick trade (fourth- or even fifth-round) that would send their former franchise QB to a new home that suits him best, regardless of whether it’s a division opponent.

Given Smith’s laudable service and loyalty to the franchise, particularly this season when he has all but served as a position coach for Kaepernick, the 49ers would seek to send Smith to a new team as quickly as possible. That would make an outright release unnecessary.

While Smith has often been typecast as a West Coast-style passer, NFL personnel insiders remember him successfully running Urban Meyer’s high-powered spread offense as a college phenom at Utah.

“Everyone sees upside in Alex Smith,” one NFL executive told FOXSports.com. “And he’s handled himself like a professional with the Kaepernick situation.”

Another NFL executive said Smith’s value has increased because he has conducted himself so well after the demotion. Even if Smith’s days as a franchise QB are behind him, he may be a solid “bridge” starter for a team that is grooming a young passer, or looking to draft one.

For now, Smith is carrying the No. 2 clipboard and working diligently to mentor Kaepernick as the 49ers prepare for Sunday’s Super Bowl challenge against the Baltimore Ravens. And he continues to answer awkward questions about what it feels like “to lose his job.”

In response to that, Smith had to laugh. “I’m still employed,” he said.

“I feel like I have a lot of football still ahead of me, for sure. I don’t feel like this is my last opportunity. I feel like there is a lot more out there for me.”