Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alex smith likely to ask for release.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    Agree with everything here except for the insanity in the bold. Vern is a monster, but his lack of production isn't all smith. He has had 2 good games in what, 10 weeks with Kap as the starter? Something's up with Vern. Maybe he's blocking more, maybe he's not getting open. I don't know what, but something is up with him.
    He's hurt; that hit he took from Kam Chancellor didn't do him any favors either.

I'd be more content with him and a rookie as our top 2 QB's than Sanchez or Teblow in either of those spots.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    I'd be more content with him and a rookie as our top 2 QB's than Sanchez or Teblow in either of those spots.
    He's no better than Sanchez, his brain just hasn't been scrambled by repeated hits as much.

He should be careful.

Dan Marino asked for a release and he ended up getting a chick preggo. Cost him millions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Which is why the Jets will go after him.
    Smith needs to get cut from SF picked up by SEA cut by them then you will be clamoring for him...

He'd be a minor upgrade for the Jets at the QB position, imo.

But do the Jets really need more minor upgrades? The band-aid approach didn't work last year.

I think everyone in this thread is being way too hard on Alex Smith. He may be as bad as you all claim, but it's hard to argue with the numbers he's put up the last two seasons. This, against top notch defenses in the playoffs last season included.

If anything, this guy would be a great game manager, if not an overall late blooming great QB.

At least in the short term, to keep the Jets competitive, I would love to see the team acquire Alex Smith without having to shell out any picks in return. He won't make the same stupid mistakes that Sanchez makes continually.

Create an open QB competition in TC with Smith, Sanchez (unfortunately we can't get rid of him, he'll be a Jet in 2013), and a drafted blue chipper QB prospect.

Undoubtedly, Smith will win that competition. Sanchez will be cut upon completion of the season win, lose, or draw. From there we can see where we are at with the blue chipper and see if this kid is ready to start.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I think everyone in this thread is being way too hard on Alex Smith. He may be as bad as you all claim, but it's hard to argue with the numbers he's put up the last two seasons. This, against top notch defenses in the playoffs last season included.

If anything, this guy would be a great game manager, if not an overall late blooming great QB.

At least in the short term, to keep the Jets competitive, I would love to see the team acquire Alex Smith without having to shell out any picks in return. He won't make the same stupid mistakes that Sanchez makes continually.

Create an open QB competition in TC with Smith, Sanchez (unfortunately we can't get rid of him, he'll be a Jet in 2013), and a drafted blue chipper QB prospect.

Undoubtedly, Smith will win that competition. Sanchez will be cut upon completion of the season win, lose, or draw. From there we can see where we are at with the blue chipper and see if this kid is ready to start.
    Too much $$ for him, Neil O'Donnell part 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

It is an exercise in futility anyway as the jets can't afford him anyway. The OP didn't even mention the possibilty

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    He's no better than Sanchez, his brain just hasn't been scrambled by repeated hits as much.
    That's pretty funny.

Smith completes 70% of his passes and does not turn the ball over.

He would be a huge upgrade over the worst starting QB in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's pretty funny.

He's a better QB than Mark Sanchez, but not by much. When Sanchez was playing well he was a similar QB to Smith whose stats are artificially increased because of the offense they were playing.

To me, Alex Smith fails the eye test, full stop. He never should have been drafted over Aaron Rodgers and it was only stupid pre-draft hype that got him elevated to the point that the 9ers reached to take him.

Smith is not going to come to the Jets and put their team on his back and lead them to victories and they do not have the offensive talent to succeed with someone like him at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    That's pretty funny.

THIS.

It's insanity to think Smith=Sanchez without the mental issues. I think its absurd to call Smith a game manager as well. His performance in the 2011 playoffs sold me on him as a potential top-10 QB in the league.

Even on a consistent basis, he's top-half of the league in terms of starters.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Smith is not going to come to the Jets and put their team on his back and lead them to victories and they do not have the offensive talent to succeed with someone like him at QB.
    This ... end thread

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Which we can then use on a Vlad Ducasse-caliber player. We'll be in the Superbowl in no time
    One issue we haven't discussed - who's going to do the UMASS scouting now that Tanny's gone? Now that the man who thought that the key to a winning draft was finding players from his alma mater has been fired, we'll need someone to break down film from that school so we can pass on the next Victor Cruz but draft Vlad II.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Well, Smith lost his job because he got injured and his replacement played well- with Sanchez, the FO traded for an overhyped player to light a fire under him and it screwed up his mentality.

Exclamation

Smith > Sanchez