Thread: Quick Trade Question

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Trade Question

I was out of town for a few days and cant scroll down! IF, and a big IF, Revis gets dealt for a top 12 pick. Do the Jets grab a QB? Thoughts??

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very likely. They only reason to trade him is you want an early round QB this year IMO. If it was about drafting Gs trading Cro for a 3 rounder would be just fine. He doesn't save you any money by trading him so you have to get a position that will save you money with a 1st. G, TE, RT, and S are not money saving 1st rounder. If we want a quality QB it has to be in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one should be drafting a QB in the top 12 this year. Maybe if we get a 1st next year for Revis. This year we could pick up Jarvis, and Dion. Wouldn't miss Revis one bit. If that happened we just might not need any CBs.

More likely anyone trading for Revis would be looking for a piece to put them over the top(you obviously don't need a 16mil dollar CB on a team full of holes.), so it would be a low 1st rounder, and I think a conditional pick next year. Then if Revis gets back to his old form we could get another 1st next year. Then just maybe(hopefully) we package our to firsts to move up and get a true franchise QB. I don't understand why people keep complaining that we won't get a good deal because Revis may never be the same player. That's what conditional picks are for. GMs often will part with next years picks like they don't mean anything anyway. Bellicheck trades 2nd and 3rd rounders for 1sts and 2nds all the time. Thank God he doesn't do a very good job using them.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 01-29-2013 at 01:47 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    No one should be drafting a QB in the top 12 this year. Maybe if we get a 1st next year for Revis. This year we could pick up Jarvis, and Dion. Wouldn't miss Revis one bit. If that happened we just might not need any CBs.

More likely anyone trading for Revis would be looking for a piece to put them over the top(you obviously don't need a 16mil dollar CB on a team full of holes.), so it would be a low 1st rounder, and I think a conditional pick next year. Then if Revis gets back to his old form we could get another 1st next year. Then just maybe(hopefully) we package our to firsts to move up and get a true franchise QB. I don't understand why people keep complaining that we won't get a good deal because Revis may never be the same player. That's what conditional picks are for. GMs often will part with next years picks like they don't mean anything anyway. Bellicheck trades 2nd and 3rd rounders for 1sts and 2nds all the time. Thank God he doesn't do a very good job using them.
    A lot depends on how far we have to move up to get a QB next year ... look at how much Washington had to give up to move to #2 from I think #5? Ouch.

So a lot will depend on how the top prospects do in their final year, what juniors declare etc, that will dictate the supply. The demand will obviously be based on so many factors on what happens in the draft this year, how NFL teams do next year, etc.

These two sets of factors will start to set the price on a move up ... and how far we need to move will depend on our own performance next year. If we "suck for Luck" we most likely clean house on coaches (Rex on down, so new OC / DC, new systems etc). If we do OK and actually look competitive, the price to move up gets a lot steeper.

There's never anything wrong about having an extra #1 pick in any draft ... but whether it could get us a franchise QB or not is impossible to tell at this stage. Unless Sanchez suddenly "gets it" in the new system, it may be our best route to trying once again to find "the one".