Thread: Jones, OG in the Second

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Jones, OG in the Second

I think the Jets need to draft OL early, though disagree w chatter that they should consider Eric Fisher in the first. A first-round tackle can wait a year or two.

I like Barrett Jones in the 2nd. Walter has him going #36, but could see him being there at #39. Versatile guy, too. Height and athleticism to play tackle, size to play guard, especially in a zone-block WCO like the Jets are adopting.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php

Barrett Jones, 6-5/311

Offensive Lineman

Alabama

Skill-Set Summary: It is clear that Jones is a versatile athlete. He is an excellent technician. His hand placement and knee bend are picture perfect. There is no doubt that Jones has done a superb job of developing his technique. He has honed it in practice while going up against many future NFL linemen like Courtney Upshaw, Josh Chapman, Jesse Williams and Marcell Dareus.

As a run blocker, Jones has the strength to push defensive linemen around at the point of attack. He is a good drive blocker to be a power-man blocker with the mobility to hit blocks on the second level. Jones could fit as a zone blocker or in a power-man blocking scheme as a pro.

Jones is rock steady in pass protection. He is quick and shuffles his feet with speed rushers while having the powerful base to stand up bull rushers. Jones really did well at left tackle in 2011, and considering the need for the position in the NFL, some teams could consider him to be their blind-side protector.

With Jones' versatility, it isn't unreasonable to think that he could start at any of the five positions on the offensive line in the NFL, although it is hard to say what his best position would be right now.

Jones is a hard-working, team-first guy. Not only can his intelligence be seen in learning multiple positions, but he graduated with his degree in accounting in three years with a 4.0 grade-point average. Jones was getting his master's degree during his "junior" season of college football. Off the field, Jones also works with a charity that has prompted him to make multiple trips to Haiti to work with an orphanage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just mentioned this on the main board, jones would be perfect for a zone blocking scheme that runs a lot of screens...basically exactly what MM does offensively.

Would be a great 2nd round pick, if we find a QB elsewhere

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The fact that the guy played Guard, tackle and center in each of the last three years means he is versatile and I like that. Seemed like a high character guy just on 1st impressions when he was interviewed after the Nat champ game. I've had him a few rough mock drafts but couldn't quite slot him into the 2nd round as he was always gone by then in my mocks.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love it if we could get Jones in the 2nd round. On the collegiate level, he made me think of Joe Klecko as an OL. A highly skilled, tough, versatile lineman. I like this kid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barret Jones would be a great pick in the second. The guy not only has experience at G/C/T, his technique is refined and the guy is a hard worker. We need more lunch pail types like Jones on this team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Much rather have him in the 2nd than take Warmack at 9.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleem View Post
    I think the Jets need to draft OL early, though disagree w chatter that they should consider Eric Fisher in the first. A first-round tackle can wait a year or two.

I like Barrett Jones in the 2nd. Walter has him going #36, but could see him being there at #39. Versatile guy, too. Height and athleticism to play tackle, size to play guard, especially in a zone-block WCO like the Jets are adopting.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013_2.php
    I like getting intelligent guys with the physical tools.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Much rather have him in the 2nd than take Warmack at 9.
    agreed. taking warmack at 9 is a colossal waste of resources

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this guy looks impressive. If we can somehow move back in the 1st and parley that into grabbing this guy that would be a coup. This is exactly the guy I want on my team.