Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rex's Ravens still love him

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Like who?

Gruden hated it in Oakland. He wanted out and got traded.

Dungy couldn't get over the hump in TB. He needed Peyton to win.
    off the top of my head I can only think of Shula
    Baltimore fired Shula

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I'm sure you are right..... Baltimore management was also wrong.

I have noticed a lack of civility but I guess that goes with the superior intellect.
    Thats a cute response, but no one said Balt was right or wrong.

The point was the grass is always greener.....
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 01-29-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    off the top of my head I can only think of Shula
    Baltimore fired Shula
    True, but they did get their SB with his replacement just two seasons later. And for all of Shula's legendary status and 300+ wins, his two SB wins are only one more than the amount won by the man who replaced him in B'more: Don McCafferty.

Also... Rex Ryan certainly ain't no young Don Shula. I'll give him the nod over David, though.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 01-29-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    True, but they did get their SB with his replacement just two seasons later. And for all of Shula's legendary status and 300+ wins, his two SB wins are only one more than the amount won by the man who replaced him in B'more: Don McCafferty.

Also... Rex Ryan certainly ain't no young Don Shula. I'll give him the nod over David, though.
    After watching Shula win for 30 more years after he was fired, I would think Baltimore fans probably wished they had kept Shula, just a hunch

The other would be Shanahan, Oakland fires him and he goes to their arch rival and wins 2 SB's

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    11-5
    8-8
    6-10

Offense, defense and special teams have all progressively gotten worse from year to year. Those are the facts.
    Oh, so I guess the players you are provided with has NOTHING to do with it? At that rate, why don't we just fire John Idzik? After all, we don't need a GM, the HC must pick all of the players, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    They were 5-11 the year before and in 2002 started 0-2.

Clearly they were on the upswing.

Rex Ryan will never, ever, be Bill Belichick. Ever. Even if he does somehow land a Tom Brady. Belichick has more input in the offense and had more input in the offense than Rex could ever dream of.

He'll be gone after 2013 and all this talk will be of waste anyways.
    Oh, so now the standard is BB of a good HC? That's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan is a clown, couldn't land the HC job on the team that "loved" him so much, and look where they are now.

Everyone loves the up-and-coming coordinator. We loved Joe Walton. Until he became our head coach.

SAR I
    That CLOWN as you so call him, says hello as our HC this season and probably much more.

You can hate him all you want, but he'll still be here. And I couldn't be happier about it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    with a team he inherited not built, how has he been since alot of those core guys and veterans are gone?
    He inherited a team without a QB and the good playoff running was done by a rookie name Greene..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Oh, so now the standard is BB of a good HC? That's ridiculous.
    9 Division titles in the last 10 years

5 Conference Championships

3 Super Bowl titles

Yea, those accomplishments are ridiculous.

Oh, so I guess the players you are provided with has NOTHING to do with it? At that rate, why don't we just fire John Idzik? After all, we don't need a GM, the HC must pick all of the players, right?
    You dont think that REX had significant unput on player selection and strategy.

I think he had a significant enough role that the whole player argument runs weak.

Kyle Wilson, John Conner, Kendrick Ellis, all come to mind.

Cutting Woodhead.

His player evaluation and development skills are well below where they need be to be a succesful HC.

Read one of Parcells books. He absolutely took an active role in development of players.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

3 Super Bowl titles

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

3 Super Bowl titles

How many Sb's did he win after he stop cheating tho?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    You dont think that REX had significant unput on player selection and strategy.

I think he had a significant enough role that the whole player argument runs weak.

Kyle Wilson, John Conner, Kendrick Ellis, all come to mind.

Cutting Woodhead.

His player evaluation and development skills are well below where they need be to be a succesful HC.

Read one of Parcells books. He absolutely took an active role in development of players.
    As Tanny just so eloquently said on fatty's show, HE selected the players and had final say on things. Did Rex try to persuade Mike? Probably, but ultimately Mike had the final say. What part of that do you not understand?

And Cutting Woodhead?? What a terrible example. You have to come up with something better than that. Joe McKnight was TANNY's pick and clearly he was kept OVER danny Woodhead because it was Tanny's pick and his ego would not allow Joe McKnight to be cut instead.

One last question also, HOW do you know that Rex had input on the player selections? Were you in the war room during those respective drafts? Everything that you are talking about is pure speculation and nothing more. There's nothing out there that can validate your claims.

The only thing we have to rely is what these men say themselves. That's it.

So no way in hell will I blame a HC like Rex unless I have proof that he's at fault for things like picking players, etc. Those tasks are the GM's job and he so much admitted to being at fault just yesterday.

Rex isn't a good defensive coach he's a great defensive coach. He's great at developing front 7 defensive players which is why guys like Terrell Suggs, Kelly Gregg and Sione Pouha would lie in traffic for him. Knows zero about offense but if Morhinweg is even half-way decent as an OC (unlike Schit & Soprano) that's not an issue.

As Tanny just so eloquently said on fatty's show, HE selected the players and had final say on things.
    No way. You're saying it's the General Manager's job to make personnel moves? Sar and Fatso keep telling me Eric Mangini is single-handed responsible for drafting Revis.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex Ryan is a clown, couldn't land the HC job on the team that "loved" him so much, and look where they are now.

Everyone loves the up-and-coming coordinator. We loved Joe Walton. Until he became our head coach.

SAR I
    BTW, this post isn't referring to you specifically. This post was intended for all of the people out there who accepted Rex Ryan's words at the beginning of the season as gospel. They hung on Rex's words. When it didn't work out, they felt betrayed. That's stupid.

Everyone should know better than to believe "coach speak".

You never fell for Rex Ryan's words, you just have a very illogical hatred toward the guy. It's very weird and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but it is entirely different.

So please don't think I was referring to you. I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This. His shortcomings as a coach are "fixable". As we are prone to say when evaluating playing talent, he has lots of potential and intangibles -- if you don't have those things already, you're never gonna have them.

I see a lot of promise in the Rex/Marty combination. So long as Idzik fulfills his role of delivering a QB, keeping the player pipeline going, and managing the cap, this could become a very successful run.
    As I said in a couple of threads...I believe a big reason why Woody was reluctant to let Rex go...has a lot to do with his good friend Marty Schottenheimer. And his playoff record...

A great regular season coach...with 200 career wins. Worthy of a HOF bust. But MartyBall is a big bust in the playoffs. Just 5 playoff wins in 13 appearances. Rex has those two AFCCGs and 4 playoff wins in...just two appearances. And Woody...consulting with Korn Ferry and Polian...they may have agreed with him.

Marty may be the better coach...but Rex is a better leader of men. I think LT was aware of this. Tomlinson still felt Rex could get the Jets to the Supe. So he was ok with him staying.

Playoff wins are precious. And some teams can go over a decade...or more... without winning one. Bengals...have gone 22 years without a playoff win.