Thread: Rex's Ravens still love him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex's Ravens still love him

http://m.nypost.com/f/mobile/sports/...kYdbx9tOokDpTO

Rex’s exes still in love with Jets coach
    By STEVE SERBY
    Last Updated: 3:51 AM, January 29, 2013

NEW ORLEANS — On one side of the room was Ray Lewis, ending his Hall of Fame career with a Super Bowl. On the other side, at separate podiums, sat Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs, grizzled Ravens champions getting their first shot at a ring.
    All Rex Ryan’s men.
    All 60 minutes from shaking hands with the president at the White House.
    All instrumental in getting Rex Ryan his first head coaching job.
    Rex’s Exes at the Super Bowl.
    And Rex a long, long way away from one.
    But if Rex is a lame duck in 2013, he remains their lame duck.
    Who is here with them, if only in spirit.
    Thank you, Rex, from your exes.
    “All I can really say is that I love the man to death,” Suggs said last night. “He’s one helluva football coach, he’s one helluva ball coach. If it is his last year as a New York Jet head coach, it won’t be his last year as a coach, it damn sure won’t be his last year as a head coach. He’s a players’ coach, he’s a real coach, and I wish him all the best. I hope things turn around for him, except when he’s playing the Baltimore Ravens.”
    Suggs was asked if he was concerned when Ryan left as Ravens defensive coordinator to coach the Jets in 2009.
    “I wouldn’t say concerned, but me, Rex and Mike Pettine [a Ravens assistant who followed Ryan to the Jets to become defensive coordinator], we have a relationship that’s more than football,” Suggs said. “Like I said, I love the man, I think the world of him. When he left, it was just, ‘Congratulations, Rex, I love you, but whenever I face you, just know I’m aiming to kick your ass, so you better bring it.’ And he said, ‘I will bring it so you better bring it.’ ”
    Suggs was then asked for a Rex anecdote.
    “I don’t have really any anecdotes, some things are just sacred, some things you don’t let out of the meeting room, out of your locker room, but just know he’s a rare breed of coach, and. . .
    “He turned boys into beasts. Not into men, he turned ’em into beasts.”
    How did he do that?
    “I don’t know ... you gotta ask Rex,” Suggs said.
    And, as if Ryan and Mark Sanchez didn’t have enough problems, there is speculation Reed could be signed by Bill Belichick and the Patriots in free agency.
    Ryan was the Ravens’ defensive line coach when Reed was the 2002 first-round draft choice and Suggs was the 2003 first-round draft choice. By 2005, he was the defensive coordinator. Lewis, who joined the Ravens three years prior to Ryan’s arrival, was the 1996 first-round draft choice. Nose tackle Haloti Ngata also learned the ways of Rex, a first-round pick in 2006.
    Suggs was asked about Rex’s tattoo.
    “Last I checked it was 49ers-Ravens, I didn’t know Jets was nowhere around here,” Suggs said.
    Then Suggs answered the tattoo question.
    “Who cares? I probably got something on my ass that you all never will see,” Suggs said. “It’s probably inappropriate, but who cares? I think you all blew it way out of proportion. I don’t really think it’s a big deal.
    “I think everybody should have a certain amount of privacy even if they’re in the public eye, no matter who they are. Even our president deserves a certain amount of privacy. ... I think all of you need to keep that in mind when you’re all writing stories about us, we’re not just football players, we’re not just coaches, we’re human brings too.”
    Reed was at the end of his media session when I asked him about Rex.
    “Oh man, I love Rex,” he said. “Keep it likeable and learnable. There’s so much I can say about Rex, man. I love Rex, man.”
    What made you love Rex so much?
    “That’s my coach, man. Rex my coach.”

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    wish they would take him back then

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are they suppose to say they hate the guy? Sugg is a POS so I don't really take him seriously.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can only hope that Rex's next departure puts his ex-team in the Super Bowl too.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we trade Rex to the Ravens for Pollard?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys just don't get it do you? Have any of you been in the military, there are just certain leaders you would go into battle with and know your six is in good hands.
    Just because it has not come together, YET, as Rex would like it to, doesn't make him any less, that type of leader. If not with us, then with a other team, Rex will get to the Super Bowl and win it. Will be interesting to hear the comments here, if Rex is let go and goes on to win a few championships with a new franchise, worst a rival.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    They wanted no part of him in the first place.

Think the Ravens would be in the Super Bowl right now with Wrecks at the helm?
    Agreed. There was a reason the Ravens picked Harbaugh over Ryan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex's defensive players will always love him. He's a very good defensive coach. However, he is not a Head Coach. Not in the least.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    You guys just don't get it do you? Have any of you been in the military, there are just certain leaders you would go into battle with and know your six is in good hands.
    yeah, so Rex gets you killed those first few time. No worries, he'll lead you to victory. Eventually.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Rex's defensive players will always love him. He's a very good defensive coach. However, he is not a Head Coach. Not in the least.
    Thats exactly what they said about Belichick in Cleveland.

I'm glad he gets this one more chance for us to see if he is the HC we all thought he was a couple of years ago. It would suck if he learned all his lessons here and then goes and becomes the next John Madden somewhere else

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Doesn't the fact that he got to two AFC championship games with a garbage QB PROVE that he's not only a head coach, but a very good head coach?

Can't stand when people lose the big picture.

The guy got to two AFC championship games in 4 years with a bad QB and managed to beat the likes of Brady and Peyton Manning in doing so. You just don't do that if you aren't a good head coach.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Thats exactly what they said about Belichick in Cleveland.

I'm glad he gets this one more chance for us to see if he is the HC we all thought he was a couple of years ago. It would suck if he learned all his lessons here and then goes and becomes the next John Madden somewhere else
    This. His shortcomings as a coach are "fixable". As we are prone to say when evaluating playing talent, he has lots of potential and intangibles -- if you don't have those things already, you're never gonna have them.

I see a lot of promise in the Rex/Marty combination. So long as Idzik fulfills his role of delivering a QB, keeping the player pipeline going, and managing the cap, this could become a very successful run.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm amazed how most of you don't get it

If a player will run through the wall for a coach, you keep that coach

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    I'm amazed how most of you don't get it

If a player will run through the wall for a coach, you keep that coach
    Exactly right. Baltimore should have kept Rex as their DC. Or, we should have hired Rex in that role.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    yeah, so Rex gets you killed those first few time. No worries, he'll lead you to victory. Eventually.
    Yep, shows you were never in the service. No, Rex accomplishes the mission and his second highest priority is to make sure he brings you home in one piece above his own safety.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just because it has not come together, YET, as Rex would like it to, doesn't make him any less, that type of leader. If not with us, then with a other team, Rex will get to the Super Bowl and win it. Will be interesting to hear the comments here, if Rex is let go and goes on to win a few championships with a new franchise, worst a rival.
    Military leadership is the process of influencing others to accomplish the mission by providing purpose, direction, and motivation.

Command is the authority a person in the military service lawfully exercises over subordinates by virtue of his rank and assignment or position.

The basic responsibilities of a leader are: Accomplishment of the mission and the welfare of the soldiers.

The most fundamental and important organizational technique used by military is the chain of command.

The chain of command is the sequence of commanders in an organization who have direct authority and primary responsibility for accomplishing the assigned unit mission while caring for personnel and property in their charge.

I don't see any similarity between Rex and a military leader.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys will still cite those 2 losing AFCCG's in the year 2525 as some sort of significant accomplishment.

In Wreck's 4 years as a HC, he has never competed for a Division title, never won a AFCCG or Super Bowl and hasn't had a winning season going on 3 years.
    Again, If you don't have a winning season, by logic, you have a losing season. Is 8-8 a losing season? I don't think so. So you lose on that point.

And stop calling him Wrecks. We already do that on here.

I will say this about Rex, he's a better head coach than his father. His father had great players in Philly and did nothing with them. They didn't even get to an NFC title game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So just getting to, let alone losing, a Conference Championship is the gold bar standard of a good HC?
    Did I say that?

What I said is that when you look at the two resumes, it is safe to say that Rex Ryan is a better head coach than Buddy Ryan.

Don't play word games with me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    we do get it he is a awesome dc but that is it he is not a good hc at all.

ps i was in the united state air force so i do get it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Doesn't the fact that he got to two AFC championship games with a garbage QB PROVE that he's not only a head coach, but a very good head coach?

Can't stand when people lose the big picture.

The guy got to two AFC championship games in 4 years with a bad QB and managed to beat the likes of Brady and Peyton Manning in doing so. You just don't do that if you aren't a good head coach.
    with a team he inherited not built, how has he been since alot of those core guys and veterans are gone?