Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any chance we go after reggie bush?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post
    It's not an awful idea. From a skill set standpoint. Reggie Bush is what the Jets need. The problem is that injuries are starting to catch up to him and he's not the explosive player he once was. Couple that with the fact that he will be looking to be paid like someone who is a top 15 starting RB and that pretty much removes him from the equation with the Jets. It's not an impossible thing to imagine and I am not against it but I don't see it happening..
    Do we really think anyone will give him that kind of money? Fact is at this point (and really at most points in his career) he's a decent 1A option, can give you 15 or so carries at a productive rate, maybe break one long one. But I don't see anyone confusing him for one of the top RBs in the league.

Point is, I think he could be cheaper than many think.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would sign him ....

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Do we really think anyone will give him that kind of money? Fact is at this point (and really at most points in his career) he's a decent 1A option, can give you 15 or so carries at a productive rate, maybe break one long one. But I don't see anyone confusing him for one of the top RBs in the league.

It's possible that Reggie Bush's contract demands could be dictated by the market. I think Shonn Greene could have similar problems. Both backs are relatively young but will be viewed as tandem backs rather than being the overall answer in a team's rushing attack.

Both guys would actually benefit from being in a strong tandem situation. Greene can be an effective closer late in games and late in the season. Bush hasn't shown the explosiveness that he has had in the past but he's become a capable NFL running back. He sees and hits holes better than he did in New Orleans. Because of injuries, He just isn't the home run threat that he could have been on a more consistent basis and Miami poorly utilzed him as a receiver.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    We can't afford him.

Could see him on the Falcons. In that O, on turf, in a dome? Look out.

Pack would be a good fit too. Not sure he would like the cold though.
    Sadly he looks out of our price range. thanks Tanny!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Can anyone say with reasonably certainity that reggie bush would be more productive then a RB we find in the draft who will cost $3+ million less per year.

There is just very little value in paying FA RBs
    Bush is an exception because he can catch out of the backfield. A RB who can be a safety valve and catch out of the backfield will make any qb look better which is part of why Mark Sanchez threw 26 tds and 3600 yards in 2011 with Ladainian and then went to crap this year with Shonn Greene who can't catch a cold as his 3rd down back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Sadly he looks out of our price range. thanks Tanny!!
    Draft Kenjon Barner from Oregon in the 4th round. He's a Leon Washington clone.

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    But faster

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Draft Kenjon Barner from Oregon in the 4th round. He's a Leon Washington clone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post

Why do you feel he would be cheaper? What are the guys with his skill set in the draft? What effect do you think he would have on an offense like the Steelers. Detroit, Seattle, SD, Atlanta, the Giants, Never mind that where would Miami go to replace him? Would they spend a high draft pick on a player to replace him, or use 3 mil of that cap room to keep him if he is so cheap?

The cheaper he is the more competition there is for him. The more competition the less chance the jets are in a competitive situation.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    What did Darren Sproles get from the Saints? He's probably not quite as shifty as Sproles, but is more durable and can get more carries.

His value will probably be a little higher than Sproles, but not by too much. Just a guess.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What did Darren Sproles get from the Saints? He's probably not quite as shifty as Sproles, but is more durable and can get more carries.

His value will probably be a little higher than Sproles, but not by too much. Just a guess.
    4 years, 14 mill. per spot trac, But sproles never rushed for more than 400 yards in a season. If he was on the market now, his salary would be a hell of a lot more.

My best guess is he lands in Cinci, he would be a great compliment to green-ellis, they have loads of cap room, he has a "name" which has value in a small market like cinci.
    Last edited by patman; 01-31-2013 at 10:13 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Going a bit off-topic, but I remember in the lead up to the 06 darft a lot of people advocating Bush as THE next big thing to hit the NFL ... once in a lifetime talent ... and here he is looking for possibly his third team.

Of that 06 draft, Brick is the highest drafted guy still with his original team. And if we did somehow sign Bush, he'd the the 5th first rounder from that year on the Jets, alongside Brick, Mangold, Cro and Holmes.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Going a bit off-topic, but I remember in the lead up to the 06 darft a lot of people advocating Bush as THE next big thing to hit the NFL ... once in a lifetime talent ... and here he is looking for possibly his third team.
    Yeah. I remember the flak Houston took for their decision to go with Mario instead.

I think Bush would be a poor addition to the Jets because his value will not equal his price tag. He's not going to break the bank but it's money and a roster spot better dedicated to either a full-fledged replacement for Greene or a cheaper 3rd down back option that your offense was missing this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO