Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aroid Linked to PED's As Recently as 2012

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    He's by far the biggest d**sh of those who keep getting outed, but he's not the only one. I'd bet the Yankees do everything they can to void his insane contract (haven't heard much from Hank Steinbrenner since that doozy)

2009 never happens without approx $a quarter billion in guaranteed money going to Tex, AJ Burnett and CC. That World Series win was purchased....
    The Yankees "pay to win" strategy has been with them since the days of Ruth. Why change it if it works?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but intention wasn't to hate on the 09 Yankees, they're just the perfect example of a bought championship. Don't mean to derail the thread, as this latest Arod PED story will be front page news for awhile...
    Until a championship is won by a team that does not have any free agents on its roster they are all bought championships - in every sport.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    They were the idiots who paid the guy. Screw them. They also signed all those other guys like Giambi. You really think these clowns didn't know what he was doing? Please. Yeah, the Yankees are always the innocent bystanders. Give me a break. And if it does happen where they can void the contract, MLB better not give them a break off the salary tax. If everything was in good faith, they signed the contract with him in good faith and as far as baseball and competition is concerned, that tax better stay with them.
    Idiots? I think not. They were smart enough to insure the contract. I would not be the least bit surprised if it contains clauses that give them an out if Arod gets busted again. The tax won't stay with them. Why should they be taxed on money they don't pay? What world do you live in?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Until a championship is won by a team that does not have any free agents on its roster they are all bought championships - in every sport.
    +1

I'd like to see these Met fans turn their venom on their shyster owners. The Yankees arent responsible for whats happened at Citi Field the last few years.

That being said, I cant disagree with people who think it laughable that the Yanks would turn on Arod and try to void his contract.

The Yankee marketing machine can gag even the most loyal of Yank fans sometimes.

I've only gone to games the last few years at the request of my son who enjoys it...Yanks/Mets being his favorite...and mine.

-

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    +1

I'd like to see these Met fans turn their venom on their shyster owners. The Yankees arent responsible for whats happened at Citi Field the last few years.

That being said, I cant disagree with people who think it laughable that the Yanks would turn on Arod and try to void his contract.

The Yankee marketing machine can gag even the most loyal of Yank fans sometimes.

I've only gone to games the last few years at the request of my son who enjoys it...Yanks/Mets being his favorite...and mine.

-

Why is it laughable? Its no secret that this is a bad contract the Yankees would like to get out of.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we cut him, please?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry but you're way off- u cant comp what the Yankees were spending to any team in the history of sports...save for a European soccer club or two.

their dynasty teams were great IMO...the core 4, etc...once they went Giambi/Clemens/Arod, etc there wasnt a team that was less likeable than them.....they were an all-roid team & they overpaid everyone...& screwed their fans...we've had threads in the past about their new Stadium, 32 is exactly right- they & Bloomberg colluded to steal tens of millions from NYS taxpayers by under-assessing the real estate for the stadium & parking garages, in return for choice seats, etc...total sc*mbags

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry but you're way off- u cant comp what the Yankees were spending to any team in the history of sports...save for a European soccer club or two.

their dynasty teams were great IMO...the core 4, etc...once they went Giambi/Clemens/Arod, etc there wasnt a team that was less likeable than them.....they were an all-roid team & they overpaid everyone...& screwed their fans...we've had threads in the past about their new Stadium, 32 is exactly right- they & Bloomberg colluded to steal tens of millions from NYS taxpayers by under-assessing the real estate for the stadium & parking garages, in return for choice seats, etc...total sc*mbags
    It's too bad Woody didn't collude with Bloomberg......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything I've read about this investigation has said that itll be next to impossible for tge Yankees to void Arods contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see Mets fans finally have something to root for

" "Everyone talked about it, everyone knew it. Guys on my team, guys on the Mets. A lot of us came up playing against Mike [Piazza], so we knew what he looked like back in the day. Frankly, he sucked on the field. Just sucked. After his body changed, he was entirely different. 'Power from nowhere,' we called it.""

The Rocket That Fell to Earth: Roger Clemens and the Rage for Baseball Immortality by Jeff Pearlman
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

1996, 1998, 1999, 2000!!!!!, 2009!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do the Mets have to do with the topic? Once again our mod Brother Green hijacks a good thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything I've read about this investigation has said that itll be next to impossible for tge Yankees to void Arods contract.
    I bet they can settle. If he refuses? Put him in the minors and make him ride a bus.

Something tells me he wants out of the limelight anyway.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    I bet they can settle. If he refuses? Put him in the minors and make him ride a bus.

Something tells me he wants out of the limelight anyway.
    He can refuse the minors, also.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    He can refuse the minors, also.
    I thought that might be the case.....

fine. Lets bring him up and put him in the bullpen to sit there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why is it laughable? Its no secret that this is a bad contract the Yankees would like to get out of.
    I think more laughable to think it's anything other then a delusional fantasy, that is.

MLB rules regarding PED use couldn't be more clear, only punishments can come from the league, and that would only be a 50 game suspension per the CBA. Even if EVERYTHING they reported about A-Rod is true, there's NOTHING in there that provides an out to void that contract.

And A-Rod isn't going to willingly retire or work on a buyout settlement (at least not one that doesn't pay him every penny that he is due eventually) because he has no reason to. He can 'rehab' for as long as he wants and collect his 20 million a year. If he willingly retires he gives that money up, which isnt happening, and the union would NEVER EVER let him accept a pay cut. The only thing the Union would sign off on is deferring some payments like the Mets did when they "bought out" Bay.

As for insurance, that would only kick in if the guy is forced to retire due to his injuries, and that seems unlikely. And the insurance company will fight like hell to avoid paying that.

So the Yankees aren't going to pursue a legal battle that they have absolutely no chance of winning. I'm not sure what they even hope to gain from threatening to do so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rodriguez Drug Case May Blunt Potential Yankees’ Insurance Claim
    2013-01-31 20:04:21.553 GMT

By Erik Matuszewski
    Jan. 31 (Bloomberg) -- The New York Yankees’ chances of recouping any of the remaining $114 million owed to Alex Rodriguez through an insurance claim may be scuttled by a typical policy clause prohibiting the use of banned drugs.
    Rodriguez, 37, could miss the Major League Baseball season after undergoing hip surgery and his future with the Yankees is in question after a Florida newspaper report that the three-time American League Most Valuable Player was doping as recently as last season. Rodriguez, who acknowledged in 2009 using performance-enhancing drugs from 2001 to 2003, said the Jan. 29 report in the Miami New Times isn’t true.
    The New York Daily News and the New York Post said this week that the Yankees are looking for a way out of the record
    $275 million, 10-year contract Rodriguez signed after the 2007 season. That might be impossible through an insurance claim, according to an industry official who’s worked on sports policies for Lance Armstrong, Michael Jordan and Pete Sampras.
    “We’ve all heard the rumors about potential use of drugs and typically that is an exclusion that you see most every time in a policy,” Mike Price, the founder of Atlanta-based Entertainment & Sports Insurance eXperts, said in a telephone interview today. “If it’s proven the individual took illegal drugs during that time, it voids the insurance.”
    Rodriguez acknowledged doping while with the Texas Rangers
    14 months after signing his current contract with the Yankees.
    He said he stopped using a banned substance in 2003 and hasn’t taken it since. MLB is now probing the New Times report that links Rodriguez to Biogenesis, an anti-aging clinic in Miami that closed last month. The weekly newspaper acquired company records that it said showed Rodriguez paid for banned products, including human growth hormone, and mentions his name on a patient list through last season.

Next Step

The Yankees probably will await MLB’s findings before deciding their next action with Rodriguez, though their options may be limited. Possible options include a settlement with Rodriguez or the filing of an insurance claim if the hip injury forces his retirement and prevents him from playing professional baseball again.
    Yankees President Randy Levine said in an e-mail that the team doesn’t disclose which company insures the team’s contracts. The Yankees said in a statement this week that they supported baseball’s antidrug policies and would refrain from comment related to the New Times report until the MLB investigation is complete.
    When Rodriguez had his $252 million contract with the Texas Rangers, Warren Buffett said in Berkshire Hathaway Inc.’s 2000 annual report that his company’s policy protecting the ballclub from the possibility of a career-ending injury probably would set a record for disability insurance.

Multilayer Protection

Price, the insurance executive, said there may be multiple carriers for a contract the size of Rodriguez’s, with many layers of coverage in place. Such an insurance policy would typically reimburse up to 66.6 percent of the amount of a star athlete’s contract. In 2001, the Baltimore Orioles got money back after a degenerative hip injury forced outfielder Albert Belle to retire two years into a five-year, $65 million contract.
    Terry Michelitch, executive vice president at Willis Group Holdings Plc, the third-largest insurance broker, said teams usually take out a temporary total disability policy or a permanent total disability policy on an athlete’s contract.
    “My hunch is that they have a PTD policy,” Michelitch said of the Yankees. “Just because a lot of folks end up going that direction, and with somebody at his age as well. That’s the other compounding factor. With a lot of pre-existing conditions, that’s going to push them more toward a PTD.”

Injury Proof

To get back any of the salary Rodriguez is owned, there would have to be proof of a career-ending injury with a permanent total disability policy.
    In Rodriguez’s situation, the claim could be put into motion if team doctors determine that he’s not going to be able to play again following the Jan. 16 hip surgery, Price said.
    Those findings would then be given to the insurance carrier, who would appoint a doctor to review the information and possibly call for new tests. If the carrier’s doctor agrees with the original findings, the claim would go forward. If there’s a disagreement, it would go to arbitration with an independent third doctor.
    “The definition says the player must be injured past the hope or the expectation of ever again engaging in their occupation,” Price said. “He has to be permanently disabled and, in the eyes of the insurance carrier, be injured beyond returning to playing professional baseball again.”

No Connection

Rodriguez’s recent decline in production wouldn’t be a factor in any insurance outcome.
    After 13 consecutive years with at least 30 home runs and 100 runs batted in, Rodriguez’s numbers have tailed off in New York amid injuries the past two seasons. He batted .272 with 18 home runs and 57 RBI over 122 games in 2012, when he became the overpaid symbol of the Yankees’ postseason shortcomings.
    Rodriguez, who ranks fifth in MLB history with 647 homers, went 3-for-25 in the playoffs with 12 strikeouts. He was 0-for-
    19 against right-handed pitchers and was benched for the final two games of the Yankees’ playoff series against Detroit.
    “The insurance contract doesn’t cover loss of skill,”
    Price said.
    It may all be rendered moot if MLB’s investigation turns up evidence that Rodriguez continued to use performance-enhancing drugs during his current contract.
    “I don’t know the terms of the contract, I can just tell you that working with many athletes for 20 years, typically the contract will include an exclusion for illegal use of drugs,”
    Price said. “In that case, they’re not getting anything back.”

For Related News and Information:
    Major League Baseball news: NI MLB <GO>
    Top Sports Stories: USPO <GO>

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    I think more laughable to think it's anything other then a delusional fantasy, that is.

MLB rules regarding PED use couldn't be more clear, only punishments can come from the league, and that would only be a 50 game suspension per the CBA. Even if EVERYTHING they reported about A-Rod is true, there's NOTHING in there that provides an out to void that contract.

And A-Rod isn't going to willingly retire or work on a buyout settlement (at least not one that doesn't pay him every penny that he is due eventually) because he has no reason to. He can 'rehab' for as long as he wants and collect his 20 million a year. If he willingly retires he gives that money up, which isnt happening, and the union would NEVER EVER let him accept a pay cut. The only thing the Union would sign off on is deferring some payments like the Mets did when they "bought out" Bay.

As for insurance, that would only kick in if the guy is forced to retire due to his injuries, and that seems unlikely. And the insurance company will fight like hell to avoid paying that.

So the Yankees aren't going to pursue a legal battle that they have absolutely no chance of winning. I'm not sure what they even hope to gain from threatening to do so.
    Agree totally.

They signed the freakin deal. They made the worst contract in the history of sports. They gave him 250-300 million when no one would have done half that. They are stuck with POS.

I can't stand him. I think this kills any shot he has for the HOF if this is proven true. As to the Yankees owing all of their WS rings to steroids, I don't think they were taking any more or less than any other team in MLB. Probably 80% of the team was on, just like most other teams. The only 2 I would be surprised with would be Mo and Jeter. Even Bernie, he got pretty big for a center fielder. O'Neil, probably, a guy that competitive, I would think pretty likely. But same sh** for every other team in MLB in the 80's and 90's.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So the Yankees want to get out of a contract because AROD used PEDs?

Would they also forfeit their 2009 championship, as they very well may have been beneficiary of said player under PEDs?

Didn't think so.

Caveat emptor.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still say the Yanks best course of action when he gets back is to keep slipping roids into ARod's Cheerios.

End result : he either starts hitting again or he gets caught during testing. I think two strikes and you're out, forever.

Win-Win