Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Off Season Strategy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Yes, as an avid LSU fan I watched almost everyone of Flynn's games in college. He couldn't beat out the great Marcus Randell or the bust Jamarcus Russell and only saw the field when Russell was injured or left in 2007 for the draft. Flynn's stock was elevated solely by that 1 game against the Lions. He is not starting material just ask Joe Philbin or Pete Carroll. I can see why people are clamoring to replace Sanchez ( although I believe for unfounded reasons entirely) , I just can't see why they want to replace him with a question mark who's never been good enough to start anywhere he went besides HS. It would take 3 weeks for the fanbase to turn on him , if we're going to upgrade the position , then upgrade it , don't just throw **** at the wall and hope it sticks.
    This will be a very good comparison as they both were developed in GB.

I went to BC and watched Matt Hasselbeck have one of the most gut wrenching and absolutely vile college careers you could imagine. Bad INTs, awful decision making, you name it and he did it poorly.

Then he came to the NFL and had time to improve his footwork, decision making, game management and accuracy and low and behold he became an excellent NFL QB who even played in a SB.

Yea Flynns hype is based on a couple games (funny all his detractors say IT WAS ONE GAME VS DETROIT, I guess his 3 TD performance the year before vs NE doesnt count?)...but when you watch him play, he keeps his eyes downfield, moves in the pocket and is accurate. 3 things that sanchez is TERRIBLE at.

We arent talking about a first round pick here....we are talking about a 4th or so round draft pick for a player that doesnt need to learn on an NFL sideline they can come in to an offense perfectly suited for their skill set and we will know probably within 8 games if we have a QB or if he is a one and done and we need to move on.

Its a well calculated risk

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    This will be a very good comparison as they both were developed in GB.

I went to BC and watched Matt Hasselbeck have one of the most gut wrenching and absolutely vile college careers you could imagine. Bad INTs, awful decision making, you name it and he did it poorly.

Then he came to the NFL and had time to improve his footwork, decision making, game management and accuracy and low and behold he became an excellent NFL QB who even played in a SB.

Yea Flynns hype is based on a couple games (funny all his detractors say IT WAS ONE GAME VS DETROIT, I guess his 3 TD performance the year before vs NE doesnt count?)...but when you watch him play, he keeps his eyes downfield, moves in the pocket and is accurate. 3 things that sanchez is TERRIBLE at.

We arent talking about a first round pick here....we are talking about a 4th or so round draft pick for a player that doesnt need to learn on an NFL sideline they can come in to an offense perfectly suited for their skill set and we will know probably within 8 games if we have a QB or if he is a one and done and we need to move on.

Its a well calculated risk
    You need to look at the context of the NE game, they already had the playoffs locked up and were playing a non conference game. And also if you look at that game there were two big plays also made by Flynn that cost them the game. A pick six he threw in the 2nd half and a lost fumble at the end with a chance to win the game, two things that Sanchez gets crucified for here endlessly, yet we want this 1 game, oops excuse me 2 game wonder as our QB .

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You need to look at the context of the NE game, they already had the playoffs locked up and were playing a non conference game. And also if you look at that game there were two big plays also made by Flynn that cost them the game. A pick six he threw in the 2nd half and a lost fumble at the end with a chance to win the game, two things that Sanchez gets crucified for here endlessly, yet we want this 1 game, oops excuse me 2 game wonder as our QB .
    Sanchez gets crucified for those mistakes because he has been making them consistently for 4 seasons over 60+ NFL starts.

Flynns mistakes were in his first career NFL start....guy sure doesnt get a lot of rope.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez gets crucified for those mistakes because he has been making them consistently for 4 seasons over 60+ NFL starts.

Flynns mistakes were in his first career NFL start....guy sure doesnt get a lot of rope.
    I agree with you 100%. To me bringing in Flynn is the ultimate low risk high reward move. For a 4th round pick we get a player ready to start that could end up a quality QB. Hasselback is a good example as he wounded up having a nice career. Worst case is he doesnt work out and you move on. I wouldn't let the "trade" stop the team from drafting a young mobile qb regardless.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a fair point. I can't argue the fact that Sanchez has had turnover issues regardless of the circumstances.

I just found it ironic that the one game in addition to Matt Flynn's 1 big game was marred by the same type of mistakes while playing for a high powered GB offense.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a fair point. I can't argue the fact that Sanchez has had turnover issues regardless of the circumstances.

I just found it ironic that the one game in addition to Matt Flynn's 1 big game was marred by the same type of mistakes while playing for a high powered GB offense.
    And I also agree, that this isnt drew brees we would be trading for.

Personally I try to simplify this stuff as much as possible....the comparable guys in the draft to flynn (tyler wilson, nassib, and barkley) as far as fits for MMs offense all will be gone before the 4th round . In Nassibs case he needs to sit for a year and has some red flags. Lastly none of them are as good running as flynn is.

So in that sense, is a 4th round pick, to solidify the most important position the field worth the risk, i think yes. Especially since we wouldnt be getting him AFTER someone else paid his signing bonus