Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Season Strategy

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Off Season Strategy

I know the conventional wisdom is to go out this offseason, get a cheap veteran QB, and line them up with a draft pick, Sanchez, and McElroy to compete.

But what if we took a different approach.

I believe, whether or not it is Revis, we will be trading some high salary players for draft picks this year. Maybe David Harris, Cro, Revis, whoever.

So assuming we wind up with a decent stockpile of picks this year, I think it is smarter to wait until 2014 to draft a QB high, unless there is someone in this draft you love (which it doesn't look like so far).

My thoughts here are simple.

If we can add a few playmakers, strengthen the offensive line (Warmack?), and defensive front 7, then next year, if Sanchez still sucks, and no one else has stepped up, we grab a franchise QB to bring into a good situation.

I just think its stupid to draft high a mediocre QB talent again (see sanchez) and have him try to overcome a depleted roster as well, when you can build a strong team now and bring in/draft a better QB next year.

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2103 - Trade a 4th rounder for Flynn, Spend a 3rd rounder on an EJ Manuel/Bray/Nassib type prospect.

Draft ILB Rd 1
    RB/OL Rd 2
    Round out the draft with TE/S/OG/RB

The idea of "throwing away" 2013 is crazy. You never know if you get a high enough draft pick to make it worthwhile. If we trade a player for picks it should be Cro. They should work to get Revis signed long term in the offseason. Trading him before June 1st is a cap hit. No savings there.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    My thoughts here are simple.

If we can add a few playmakers, strengthen the offensive line (Warmack?), and defensive front 7, then next year, if Sanchez still sucks, and no one else has stepped up, we grab a franchise QB to bring into a good situation.

I just think its stupid to draft high a mediocre QB talent again (see sanchez) and have him try to overcome a depleted roster as well, when you can build a strong team now and bring in/draft a better QB next year.

Thoughts?
    I agree, it's tempting at 9 to think that there is a franchise QB there but we are better off finding some other building blocks, be it guard, pass rusher etc.

That said I would not bother signing a veteran QB to compete, I'd rather take a long shot on a developmental QB in a later round this year. Next year, go QB again but in the first round if the talent is there. Competition, turning over the roster, is the only thing that makes sense to me at this point.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it will not work because rex knows that if we started with sanchez and he does like he has been doing then he needs to have a capable back-up or he will lose his job.

he can't be as loyal as he was with tanny who he basically ran. I don't think idzik is the type that is trying to impress rex it is finally the other way around and the way it should be.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    49'ers won't sign him, he's due a bonus on April 1st and has asked for an early release. 49'er's will try to trade him but he will be a free agent if the 49'ers won't give him his bonus. Smith well versed in the West Coast offense which is Monrnigweh's area of strength. Draft Manti Te'o best LB'er and forget about his girlfriend that didn't exist it's meaningless distraction that will alow him to fall to 9.
    Ho. Lee. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttttttt!! !!!!!

What's up, Lia?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    49'ers won't sign him, he's due a bonus on April 1st and has asked for an early release. 49'er's will try to trade him but he will be a free agent if the 49'ers won't give him his bonus. Smith well versed in the West Coast offense which is Monrnigweh's area of strength. Draft Manti Te'o best LB'er and forget about his girlfriend that didn't exist it's meaningless distraction that will allow him to fall to 9.

Draft RB Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State) in the 2nd round and upgrade offensive skill players via free agency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    totally agree with the offensive skill players. I dont see a QB in FA or the draft that makes me think they can 'take us' there this year. How many Russell Wilsons are there? Not many.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    2103 - Trade a 4th rounder for Flynn, Spend a 3rd rounder on an EJ Manuel/Bray/Nassib type prospect.

Draft ILB Rd 1
    RB/OL Rd 2

The idea of "throwing away" 2013 is crazy. You never know if you get a high enough draft pick to make it worthwhile. If we trade a player for picks it should be Cro. They should work to get Revis signed long term in the offseason. Trading him before June 1st is a cap hit. No savings there.
    Aside from changing ILB to OLB, I dont think I could agree any more with your post.

While this team finds itself in its current situation because of trading draft picks, it is a different situation with flynn. He is a perfect fit for MMs offense and is at a huge position of need. Plus his contract is decent and will allow us time to evaluate him and either let him go elsewhere if he fails or sign him longterm.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft ILB Rd 1
    RB/OL Rd 2

Why is Seattle going to take a 4 mjll cap hit or 30% of thier space for a 4th rd qb and then have to sign another vet to take his place.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft ILB Rd 1
    RB/OL Rd 2

Why is Seattle going to take a 4 mjll cap hit or 30% of thier space for a 4th rd qb and then have to sign another vet to take his place. What is that 4th rd pick going to do for them if Wilson gets a sprained ankle?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why is Seattle going to take a 4 mjll cap hit or 30% of thier space for a 4th rd qb and then have to sign another vet to take his place. What is that 4th rd pick going to do for them if Wilson gets a sprained ankle?
    Look, I know you are a salary cap expert and all, but Im not throwing sh*t at the wall here so slow down with the criticism.

First off, seattle has come out and said they are looking for a read-option QB as wilsons backup so that they can keep the offense the same if he goes down....flynn doesnt fit that bill.

Second the have already been linked to joe webb, who would be the perfect backup behind wilson and who the vikings are looking to move for a late round pick....another move that is completely logical.

Seattle has approximately $13+ in cap room without cutting anyone so taking a "hit" is far from crippling if they can add another piece to a team they obviously believe can compete for a championship.

They also have some holes along the defensive line with clemons injury, so an additional pick helps them a lot more then an unhappy matt flynn does sitting on the sideline or even asking for a trade in the papers.

Lastly, as you know Idzik came from there and relationships when working this stuff out are just as important as the pieces. Seattle wouldnt be trading him within the division or even within the NFC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the plan is to start Sanchez since he gives the Jets the best chance to win 2 games and watch another team win the Superbowl

QB in 2014 and we can dance around the fire of Sanchez jerseys at the first preseason game

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why is Seattle going to take a 4 mjll cap hit or 30% of thier space for a 4th rd qb and then have to sign another vet to take his place.
    I haven't seen where trading Flynn has a prohibitive cap hit for Seattle. They have already come out and stated that they want a backup with Wilson's skill set. Flynn goes to the highest bidder. It may take a 3rd rounder but I'd start with a 4th. I like that Izdik has the relationships there. No doubt he has a good idea of what his friends and former colleagues over there would want to get in return.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    I think the plan is to start Sanchez since he gives the Jets the best chance to win 2 games and watch another team win the Superbowl

QB in 2014 and we can dance around the fire of Sanchez jerseys at the first preseason game
    I haven't seen where football teams go into a season thinking lets tank this one and get a high draft choice. It happens in basketball sometimes but not football. They will try and put the best product on the field in 2013. To me all the pieces are coming in to place for bringing in Flynn. He is a system QB that seems ideally suited for MM's WCO. As a bonus he has already gone through Green Bay's QB clinic so there's less of a chance that we can screw up his development (like what can happen with a rookie QB).

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't seen where football teams go into a season thinking lets tank this one and get a high draft choice. It happens in basketball sometimes but not football. They will try and put the best product on the field in 2013. To me all the pieces are coming in to place for bringing in Flynn. He is a system QB that seems ideally suited for MM's WCO. As a bonus he has already gone through Green Bay's QB clinic so there's less of a chance that we can screw up his development (like what can happen with a rookie QB).
    The Colts and Andrew Luck say hi.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    The first thing the Jets need to do is stop trading away our draft picks. This is how we got into this mess. We have no depth because we trade away our draft picks. If you cannot draft well, you will suck. You cannot draft well if you trade your picks. The Jets have had enough of that the past few years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    The first thing the Jets need to do is stop trading away our draft picks. This is how we got into this mess. We have no depth because we trade away our draft picks. If you cannot draft well, you will suck. You cannot draft well if you trade your picks. The Jets have had enough of that the past few years.
    You are correct, but each situation has to be evaluated independently and just because an error was made in the past, doesnt mean you forbid yourself from the option going forward.

Trading a 2nd round pick for Cro, who had 1 year on his contract left, was not smart. We basically got 1 year of service for that pick and then had to pay him as a FA.

Flynn is signed for the next 2 years at reasonable salaries with the ability to get out of it if necessary. Plus, his skill level and position of need outweighs what we would find in the 4th round.

This situation is totally different and should be evaluated as such

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You are correct, but each situation has to be evaluated independently and just because an error was made in the past, doesnt mean you forbid yourself from the option going forward.

Trading a 2nd round pick for Cro, who had 1 year on his contract left, was not smart. We basically got 1 year of service for that pick and then had to pay him as a FA.

Flynn is signed for the next 2 years at reasonable salaries with the ability to get out of it if necessary. Plus, his skill level and position of need outweighs what we would find in the 4th round.

This situation is totally different and should be evaluated as such
    I'm not convinced that Matt Flynn is all that great, but if the new offensive staff feel that he can be successful I'm not totally against a fourth rounder. I do believe we can get a good offensive player in the fourth round and that building the roster is more important at this juncture. I don't feel like not going for a QB this year reeks of tanking the season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    The Colts and Andrew Luck say hi.
    When an injury happens and the team goes into the tank it isn't a planned strategy from the top. Definitely not the same thing. The Jets D is too good for the team to have a 2 win season. That type of strategy backfires and you get slammed with a crap season to watch and stuck with nothing in the draft. Also losing begets losing. When a franchise stinks it up the players can get complacent and a culture of losing can set in. I'm against it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I'm not convinced that Matt Flynn is all that great, but if the new offensive staff feel that he can be successful I'm not totally against a fourth rounder. I do believe we can get a good offensive player in the fourth round and that building the roster is more important at this juncture. I don't feel like not going for a QB this year reeks of tanking the season.
    Going into a season with Sanchez or GMac or Moore, or and FA scrub at QB is absolutely tanking the season. I like Flynn because he seems like a high upside guy that is ready to start. If there is a rookie QB that has that type of potential by all means lets get him. If Geno drops to us at the 9th pick and the FO loves him then I will be on board. My point is that we will go into this season with hope one way or the other. My preference is Flynn right now but either way something needs to get done at the QB spot.