Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is WR Santonio Holmes Tradebale?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    If what you say is true, then Tanny didn't really do such a bad job with the cap. If all it takes is to go through 2013 and shed pricey deals for Scott, Pace, Smith, Smith, etc. and in 2014 the Jets are good to go, that's not the worst cap management.

His real crime - which is what got him fired - is his inability to find a QB and compounding that error by extending him. If Sanchez had simply an above average year this year (lets say....Andy Dalton-esque), the Jets would be in perfectly fine shape. A little strapped on the cap this year, but they would have their QB for the near future, they'd shed the dead weight of Scott, Pace, etc. and they'd be OK for the future.

Tanny made some bad deals, for sure (I've always said, Harris is the most inexplicable). But, those weren't fatal. Sanchez was.
    I don't think he was any worse on a per move basis than most other GMs. Tanny's fatal flaw was the lack of a cohesive plan. You can over pay for a player or two if they fit into your grand scheme. Certain players look good on one team, but not another. If only Trader Mike had a scheme. Santonio may now fit into our scheme, at least at 1.25 mil so I don't think he's tradeabail. We'll wait till next year and just bail.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If what you say is true, then Tanny didn't really do such a bad job with the cap. If all it takes is to go through 2013 and shed pricey deals for Scott, Pace, Smith, Smith, etc. and in 2014 the Jets are good to go, that's not the worst cap management.

His real crime - which is what got him fired - is his inability to find a QB and compounding that error by extending him. If Sanchez had simply an above average year this year (lets say....Andy Dalton-esque), the Jets would be in perfectly fine shape. A little strapped on the cap this year, but they would have their QB for the near future, they'd shed the dead weight of Scott, Pace, etc. and they'd be OK for the future.

Tanny made some bad deals, for sure (I've always said, Harris is the most inexplicable). But, those weren't fatal. Sanchez was.
    ^This

Good post. Agree 100%

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So what happens if he is suspended?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Well said. +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Play2Win View Post
    looks like we're gonna have to wait till 2014 to purge this team of underachievers and malcontents.

1- Holmes gone 2014
    2- Sanchez gone
    3- Rex gone
    Rex won't be gone. By the end of next season, the Jets will be coming off another playoff run and Rex will get an extension.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex won't be gone. By the end of next season, the Jets will be coming off another playoff run and Rex will get an extension.
    Of course...... 8 wins to 6 wins to playoffs.

You have seen our QB correct?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    Watch holmes have a career year in 2013 so the Jets extend then he goes back to his old ways..
    He has a career year and then we dump him.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    1. Is he moveable under the Cap, would it/could it save us anything?

2. Is he moveable at all? Would any other NFL want him?
    No one would trade for Holmes coming off lisfranc surgery. there is a serious question if he will ever be the same player again. That number 1 . Number 2 I doubt someone will want him at that salary he due now and in the future years.

Now if the Jets cut him that is a different story.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No one would trade for Holmes coming off lisfranc surgery. there is a serious question if he will ever be the same player again. That number 1 . Number 2 I doubt someone will want him at that salary he due now and in the future years.

Now if the Jets cut him that is a different story.
    The pats and Bucs took a shot at Haynesworth making 1mill, There are always coaches out there who believe they are the guy to turn a career around. I disagreed with another poster saying that there was a potential market for him at 8mill coming off Lisfranc.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    How will 5 or 6 wins allow the Jets to make a "playoff run"?

The Jets have no QB, below average RB's, no playmakers on offense, the worst LB corp in the NFL and are in cap hell.

More than half the 22 starters will be replaced and you seriously think the Jets will be capable of a playoff run?

Love your optimism, but next year will be a very bleak year for Jets fans.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    He has a career year and then we dump him.
    eeeeexactly!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    How will 5 or 6 wins allow the Jets to make a "playoff run"?

The Jets have no QB, below average RB's, no playmakers on offense, the worst LB corp in the NFL and are in cap hell.

More than half the 22 starters will be replaced and you seriously think the Jets will be capable of a playoff run?

Love your optimism, but next year will be a very bleak year for Jets fans.
    I actually prefer it to be that way. I am for a total turnover of the roster and if that takes 3 years for us to be contenders then its fine with me. As you well know its better to have a dynasty then just a couple years of success followed by mediocrity.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    I actually prefer it to be that way. I am for a total turnover of the roster and if that takes 3 years for us to be contenders then its fine with me. As you well know its better to have a dynasty then just a couple years of success followed by mediocrity.
    This is what I think Jets fans should be hoping for. An Indy-esque turnaround.

Eat contracts of overpaid or problematic players and work on rebuilding and draft positioning. You guys might not get an Andrew Luck but I think the band-aid approach from last year won't cut it.

Sanchez, Holmes, Scott et al. There's a lot of folks who need to go. I'd add Cromartie to that list which I know isn't popular and he had a great year but the Jets need a locker room makeover more than anything. They definitely underachieved this year and I don't think players like Cromartie help in that regard.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    This is what I think Jets fans should be hoping for. An Indy-esque turnaround.

Eat contracts of overpaid or problematic players and work on rebuilding and draft positioning. You guys might not get an Andrew Luck but I think the band-aid approach from last year won't cut it.

Sanchez, Holmes, Scott et al. There's a lot of folks who need to go. I'd add Cromartie to that list which I know isn't popular and he had a great year but the Jets need a locker room makeover more than anything. They definitely underachieved this year and I don't think players like Cromartie help in that regard.
    They under-achieved (from preseason expectations) based on two predominant factors:

1. Mark Sanchez
    2. Injuries