Thread: New Story: Darrelle Revis: Trade Him or Keep Him?

Post New Story: Darrelle Revis: Trade Him or Keep Him?

One of many offseason riddles the Jets have to answer is how to handle star cornerback Darrelle Revis. Revis, who is coming off ACL surgery and has one year left on his contract, has said he has wanted to be a Jet for life, but recent rumors suggest the possibility of Revis being traded before the 2013 season begins. Chris Nimbley and I debate if dealing Revis is the right move for the franchise.

1. What do you think the handling of the Darrelle Revis*situation*says about the direction of the franchise?

Chris: If the Jets hold onto Revis, but...

More...

Banned
    Damn good article, well written and covering almost every scenario.

I read it.

I still don't understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that trading Revis equals building a respectable offense. To me, just getting an additional first round pick will never come close to rebuilding the offense. That comes with a new philosophy and having someone know what their doing when it comes to picking players.

Nice read. In the end of the day there are two schools of thought. One being blow up the team, forget 2013 it is a down year regardless. That school says trade Revis, grab the picks and retool for 2014 and beyond. The reason being that trading him actually causes a cap hit. People say screw it we are going to suck in 2013 regardless so lets blow it up now. That same line of thinking would say dump Sanchez and get his 17M off the books in 2013 in order to get a clean start in 2014.

On the flipside (and more realistic side quite frankly) if you are thinking like a head coach or GM you want to win now while continuing to think about the future. Trading Revis and taking the 3 Million cap hit will make the team worse in 2013 both talent and salarycap wise. The 3 Million hit could have been used to pay someone like Flynn or Smith or Moore at QB.

Personally I think we should keep Revis and pay him between 13 to 14 mill per year long term. I'd trade Cro for a 2nd rounder this season and save the 7Million vs the cap if we need the savings. If not just keep them both but only if Revis is resigned in this offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I read it.

I still don't understand how anyone comes to the conclusion that trading Revis equals building a respectable offense. To me, just getting an additional first round pick will never come close to rebuilding the offense. That comes with a new philosophy and having someone know what their doing when it comes to picking players.
    You aren't rebuilding the Offense you are improving the Offense; for example,with a first rounder you could pick up a once in a decade Guard ie., Chance Warmack. This improves the running game immediately and therefore the play action is more effective. Warmack is as close to a sure thing as in the draft.

The other 1st rounder can now be used to gamble on the next Joe Montana or whatever. Point being 2 first rounders could make a big difference in next years team.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Nice read. In the end of the day there are two schools of thought. One being blow up the team, forget 2013 it is a down year regardless. That school says trade Revis, grab the picks and retool for 2014 and beyond. The reason being that trading him actually causes a cap hit. People say screw it we are going to suck in 2013 regardless so lets blow it up now. That same line of thinking would say dump Sanchez and get his 17M off the books in 2013 in order to get a clean start in 2014.

On the flipside (and more realistic side quite frankly) if you are thinking like a head coach or GM you want to win now while continuing to think about the future. Trading Revis and taking the 3 Million cap hit will make the team worse in 2013 both talent and salarycap wise. The 3 Million hit could have been used to pay someone like Flynn or Smith or Moore at QB.

Personally I think we should keep Revis and pay him between 13 to 14 mill per year long term. I'd trade Cro for a 2nd rounder this season and save the 7Million vs the cap if we need the savings. If not just keep them both but only if Revis is resigned in this offseason.
    This is the best solution. Besides anyone who thinks Antonio is going to be easy to re-sign is kidding themselves. He is going to ask for big money, just watch..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

If Revis is unwilling to resign then trade him. That's the only scenario where it becomes justified.

If Revis is unwilling to resign then trade him. That's the only scenario where it becomes justified.
    It's not that he's unwilling to sign it's that he's going to look to go to the highest bidder, regardless of loyalty, and the Jets have given away their own tool in keeping him (the Franchise tag)

If the Jets don't believe they will be the highest bidder then they MUST trade him. It's not about trading to get picks, it's about trading him because you have no other reasonable choice. Get what you can, while you can!

I read it.

True as well, but we have to "try" to believe that we have someone that can do the job at some point.

I don't get the julio jones trade comparison. Atlanta traded that much for a 3mill a year wr for 5 years. They may have lost picks, but they didn't lose cap room. If you trade for Revis, you lose both.

The article then seems to come to the conclusion that Revis is not worth his asking price that but that another team would be willing to pay his salary and picks. If the jets With 50 mill of cap room in 2014 shouldn't pay him who should?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't get the julio jones trade comparison. Atlanta traded that much for a 3mill a year wr for 5 years. They may have lost picks, but they didn't lose cap room. If you trade for Revis, you lose both.

The article then seems to come to the conclusion that Revis is not worth his asking price that but that another team would be willing to pay his salary and picks. If the jets With 50 mill of cap room in 2014 shouldn't pay him who should?
    Good point and in 2014 the cap should increase to maybe 132 mill (guess). So we'll have the money to actually sign Revis for multiple years.

If Revis wants 12 mill then you sign him if he want 16 mill for 6 years forget about it. He could be hurt again. Just too much money for one player. He's not Manning or Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Because if you don't extend him this year (which you can't afford to do) he'll be a free agent at the end of next year and being in a bidding war for Revis is not a bidding war the Jets will or should win. If that's the case, and it almost certainly will be, then you get almost nothing for him.

So you trade him now and get what you can.

Practice Squad
    its going to be a gddamn shame to see revis in another uniform.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by joe resler View Post
    its going to be a gddamn shame to see revis in another uniform.
    Sure will

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Because if you don't extend him this year (which you can't afford to do) he'll be a free agent at the end of next year and being in a bidding war for Revis is not a bidding war the Jets will or should win. If that's the case, and it almost certainly will be, then you get almost nothing for him.

So you trade him now and get what you can.
    Yes the jets can "extend" him today, and not even affect this years cap number.
    All they do is sign an extension and don't give him the SB until 2014, nothing hits the cap until then. The SB will have to be guaranteed, but if he was to go to FA he would not see the money till then anyway.