Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kennyo7's Post Senior Bowl Mock

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    This is just off the top of my head, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong... And I'm sure there are a few missing from this list.

Torrey Smith was a 2nd round pick.

Pitt took Holmes and Burress each in the 1st round also picked Limas Sweed in 2nd.

Green Bay took Jennings, Nelson and Cobb in the 2nd.

NE traded a 2 for Welker and wasted a 2 on Chad Jackson (lol traded up with GB who took Jennings a few picks later)

SF took Crabtree and Davis in the top 10.
    Add Mark Clayton in the 1st round of 2005 (BAL)
    Javon Walker in the 1st round of 2002 (GB)
    Travis Taylor in the 1st round of 2000 (BAL)
    Troy Edwards in the 1st round of 1999 (PIT - year before Burress)

and I think you've just about got it.

So yeah, good teams do draft WRs early (but apparently not always very good ones)

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Add Mark Clayton in the 1st round of 2005 (BAL)
    Javon Walker in the 1st round of 2002 (GB)
    Travis Taylor in the 1st round of 2000 (BAL)
    Troy Edwards in the 1st round of 1999 (PIT - year before Burress)

and I think you've just about got it.

So yeah, good teams do draft WRs early (but apparently not always very good ones)
    Yeah thats a pretty bad list of WRs drafted in the 1st round.
    I have no problem with drafting receivers. I didnt include any receivers (or QBs for that matter) b/c I dont think there are any that really blow me away and say "this QB/WR is going to make the Jets a much better team".

This draft is exceptionally deep in OL and DE/OLBs. We have desperate needs at both. Thats why I drafted 2 guards in the second and 4 LBs in total.

This team is not going to be built in 1 offseason. This (in my opinion) is a draft that gives us a great chance at rebuilding the O-Line and Linebacking corps, something that we have to do one way or another. Its not a draft that will deliver us with a franchise QB or game changing receiver. Take the BPA dont reach for need. QB and receiver can be addressed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    This is just off the top of my head, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong... And I'm sure there are a few missing from this list.

Torrey Smith was a 2nd round pick.

Pitt took Holmes and Burress each in the 1st round also picked Limas Sweed in 2nd.

Green Bay took Jennings, Nelson and Cobb in the 2nd.

NE traded a 2 for Welker and wasted a 2 on Chad Jackson (lol traded up with GB who took Jennings a few picks later)

SF took Crabtree and Davis in the top 10.
    Limas Sweed was a bust and Welker didnt become the player he is until Tom Brady. Davis is a TE.

I get your point. But there are no receivers outside Patterson and Allen who are real game changers. The draft is deep in other positions that we need help at desperately. The talent available at OL and LB is much greater than at WR or QB round for round. We dont need to reach. We are rebuilding. Its not like we are a receiver or 2 away from being a SB contender. We suck at many positions. The situation at LB and O-Line is no better than our situation at WR and QB. So take whats available.

If you rebuild the line and running game (which is what i tried to do by drafting two top OGs, 2 high character/hard working talented RBs one of whom is great at catching the ball out of the backfield and great at picking up blitzes and a complete TE who can block and catch) our offense will instantly become much better.

Keep in mind in my mock, our receivers become better simply by having Holmes return and a full year of Edwards (who hopefully has fully recovered by TC) as starters and moving a now more experienced Kerley back to the slot where he can excel. Stephen Hill can now come off the bench which is what he should have done this past year. You can sign UDFAs to compete with Clyde Gates, Jordan White, and Royce Pollard for the 5th WR spot.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Limas Sweed was a bust and Welker didnt become the player he is until Tom Brady. Davis is a TE.

I get your point. But there are no receivers outside Patterson and Allen who are real game changers. The draft is deep in other positions that we need help at desperately. The talent available at OL and LB is much greater than at WR or QB round for round. We dont need to reach. We are rebuilding. Its not like we are a receiver or 2 away from being a SB contender. We suck at many positions. The situation at LB and O-Line is no better than our situation at WR and QB. So take whats available.

If you rebuild the line and running game (which is what i tried to do by drafting two top OGs, 2 high character/hard working talented RBs one of whom is great at catching the ball out of the backfield and great at picking up blitzes and a complete TE who can block and catch) our offense will instantly become much better.

Keep in mind in my mock, our receivers become better simply by having Holmes return and a full year of Edwards (who hopefully has fully recovered by TC) as starters and moving a now more experienced Kerley back to the slot where he can excel. Stephen Hill can now come off the bench which is what he should have done this past year. You can sign UDFAs to compete with Clyde Gates, Jordan White, and Royce Pollard for the 5th WR spot.
    I don't think Allen would be a reach at all at 9. In a draft without a lot of WR depth, would be a good pick at a position of major need.

And I do think WR is a major need position. How many times the past few years have we seen the offense struggle because no one is getting open? Of course it's hard to tell at times whether its the crappy receivers or the crappy QB, and part of it was injuries, but the Jets right now have to be in the bottom quarter of the league at talent at offensive skill positions. While Holmes' return will help, I don't think he stays here past 2013. Nor do I think Edwards is returning to his 2010 level after two years of injury and mediocrity. Draft Allen and you set yourself up for a future with good young WR corps with Hill and Kerley. Give the 2014 QB something good to walk into.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I don't think Allen would be a reach at all at 9. In a draft without a lot of WR depth, would be a good pick at a position of major need.

And I do think WR is a major need position. How many times the past few years have we seen the offense struggle because no one is getting open? Of course it's hard to tell at times whether its the crappy receivers or the crappy QB, and part of it was injuries, but the Jets right now have to be in the bottom quarter of the league at talent at offensive skill positions. While Holmes' return will help, I don't think he stays here past 2013. Nor do I think Edwards is returning to his 2010 level after two years of injury and mediocrity. Draft Allen and you set yourself up for a future with good young WR corps with Hill and Kerley. Give the 2014 QB something good to walk into.
    I did. A good offensive line and running game and TE who can block and catch. Id say thats giving our 2014 QB something good to walk into.

All Pro
    Regarding the need for WR....I'm curious what others think of this question...

Who would help the Jets more next season...Larry Fitzgerald or Rob Gronkowski. Would adding another WR without addressing the TE position help as much as upgrading TE with a better dual-threat player and going with the WRs we have?

Not that we can draft anyone near these guys' talent but all else being equal, which position actually is more of a need.

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Regarding the need for WR....I'm curious what others think of this question...

Who would help the Jets more next season...Larry Fitzgerald or Rob Gronkowski. Would adding another WR without addressing the TE position help as much as upgrading TE with a better dual-threat player and going with the WRs we have?

Not that we can draft anyone near these guys' talent but all else being equal, which position actually is more of a need.
    I think a healthy Gronk would help us much more than Larry Fitzgerald especially if we have a healthy Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards as our starting receivers and Kerley in the slot.

He adds a unique dimension which would make everyone else better whereas Fitzgerald is a great receiver who would not make our TE (say Keller) a better TE

All Pro
    I like everything about your draft except the 1st pick. Mingo reminds me way to much of Manny Lawson. The truly disgusting part is Lawson made more plays at North Carolina State than Mingo did at LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Impressive plan, my biggest problem is with all of those #2 & #3 picks
    you've got to draft a QB
    Disagree. This is not a good QB draft, so better to set the team up for a QB picked next year than to draft a mediocre QB and put him behind a bad line and with average skill position players

thats the way to go for the jets

I agree with you.the jets have to make dramatic changes for the future and well being of the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the jets did make all those cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I like everything about your draft except the 1st pick. Mingo reminds me way to much of Manny Lawson. The truly disgusting part is Lawson made more plays at North Carolina State than Mingo did at LSU.
    Good Point. I have my worries with Mingo as well.
    Im starting to really warm up to Ezekiel Ansah and hope he is there at #9.

12 picks, no Revis and still not 1 QB with upside on the roster next year…

Hard pill to swallow as you are basically gambling that:
    1. A can’t miss QB will be in the 2014 draft.
    2. The Jets will be in a position to get that QB.

And even if they do get lucky - Jeff George, Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Jim Plunkett, heck even Carson Palmer… All were can’t miss first overall picks…

To me it makes far more sense to keep selecting QB’s who you think could be the guy vs. putting all your eggs in 1 basket for that can’t miss prospect.
    The round doesn’t matter so much as you need to believe in the guy, like it was said Bradway did last year with Wilson…

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    12 picks, no Revis and still not 1 QB with upside on the roster next year…

Hard pill to swallow as you are basically gambling that:
    1. A can’t miss QB will be in the 2014 draft.
    2. The Jets will be in a position to get that QB.

And even if they do get lucky - Jeff George, Tim Couch, David Carr, Alex Smith, Michael Vick, Jim Plunkett, heck even Carson Palmer… All were can’t miss first overall picks…

To me it makes far more sense to keep selecting QB’s who you think could be the guy vs. putting all your eggs in 1 basket for that can’t miss prospect.
    The round doesn’t matter so much as you need to believe in the guy, like it was said Bradway did last year with Wilson…
    You can have 20 picks and still will not get a "cant miss" QB in this draft. This years crop of QBs suck. There is no point in wasting a high pick for a QB who is more likely to be a career backup or bust.

So what does my draft do with the 12 picks? It addresses all of our other holes so that if we get a QB he has a team surrounding him.

My picks give us two quality OGs who will start and play at a high level for the next 7-8 years, revamps our horrible LB corps, gives us a complete TE (can catch and block), two RBs who can also catch out of the backfield, a project NT to develop, a FS to compete for a starting job, more depth at CB and TWO extra second round picks in 2014.

You can have 20 picks and still will not get a "cant miss" QB in this draft. This years crop of QBs suck. There is no point in wasting a high pick for a QB who is more likely to be a career backup or bust.

So what does my draft do with the 12 picks? It addresses all of our other holes so that if we get a QB he has a team surrounding him.

My picks give us two quality OGs who will start and play at a high level for the next 7-8 years, revamps our horrible LB corps, gives us a complete TE (can catch and block), two RBs who can also catch out of the backfield, a project NT to develop, a FS to compete for a starting job, more depth at CB and TWO extra second round picks in 2014.
    We'll see... Every year they keep saying that there's no QBs only to have 3-4 drafted in round 1. Too early right now to say there is or isn't any QBs IMO.

Also your selections seem good and do address needs, but do you really think the Jets get 3 picks for Revis, 4 picks for their 1st rounder and then another 2 more picks for Joe McKnight?

NFL teams hate giving up picks these days... Just sayin...

CUTs

- Eric Smith, S
    - Jason Smith, OT
    - Bart Scott, LB
    - Bryan Thomas, LB
    - Calvin Pace, LB
    - Sione Pouha, NT
    - Tim Tebow, Athlete

NOT RESIGNED

- Laron Landry, S (simply cant afford)
    - Matt Slauson, OG
    - Barandon Moore, OG
    - Dustin Keller, TE
    - Shonn Greene

RESIGNED

- Yeremiah Bell, S (comes cheaper than Landry)
    - Braylon Edwards, WR
    - Nick Folk, K
    - Mike DeVito, DL
    - Austin Howard, RT

FA SIGNINGS

- Matt Moore, QB
    - Larry Grant, LB

TRADES

- Darelle Revis to Tampa Bay for 2013 1st and 3rd Rd picks plus 2014 2nd Rd.
    - Trade TB 1st Rd Pick (313 overall) to Jacksonville for 2013 2nd, 3rd, and 5th rd picks and 2014 2nd rd pick
    - Trade Joe McKnight for 2013 6th round pick and conditional 2014 late round pick

2013 DRAFT

1. Barkevious Mingo, OLB
    2a. Barrett Jones, LG
    2b. Larry Worford, RG
    3a. Vance McDonald, TE
    3b. Stepfan Taylor, RB
    3c. Baccari Rambo, FS
    4. Corey Lemonier, OLB/DE
    5a. Leon McFadden, CB
    5b. Keith Pough, ILB
    6a. Montori Hughes, NT
    6b. Miguel Maysonet, RB
    7. Quanterus Smith, OLB
    Keep Pouha and (Landry if posible) and get rid of Bell & DeVito.

I like the draft xcept no QB and WR drafted. Jets should draft WR Hopkins & QB Manuel(movin up aftr combine)

or they wait till nex yr & draft Boyd or Bridgwatr...
    Manuel reminds me of Flacco& Roethlisberger

No to Matt Moore bc he is not good! Kellen clemens at best. i would draft Manuel and start him over Moore.