Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Tanny speaks!!!!!!

Why does anyone defend Tanny?

He was terrible.

In order to compete in the salary cap era , you need players that are undervalued relative to their contracts. Russell Wilson is a great example- it will be five years before he is paid what he is worth. Undervalued players are generally found in the later rounds of the draft, UDFA, or the injured reserve list. When you draft well in the later rounds it allows you pay other proven assets at key positions such as QB & LT. Mike T was big on trading away his draft- Sanchez, Keller, Greene, SHill & Revis were all examples. He also surrendered picks on Tebow, Cro, Santonio. Revis was a score but we did give up a lot of shots on goal over the last five years. I have a hard time naming any severely undervalued Jets but there are plenty of overvalued ones such as Harris and Sanchez. Thats a failure of the GM

A new GM is bit like a new dentist- you don't know if they are any good until you start feeling the pain. Its safe to say after seven years that Mike T was bad at his job. He left us in terrible shape on the salary cap despite below average talent at the skill positions. Thats hard to accomplish.

No way Idzik can be any worse. And possibly he could end up being very good at his job. We can evaluate in 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by CIL View Post
    He was terrible.

In order to compete in the salary cap era , you need players that are undervalued relative to their contracts. Russell Wilson is a great example- it will be five years before he is paid what he is worth. Undervalued players are generally found in the later rounds of the draft, UDFA, or the injured reserve list. When you draft well in the later rounds it allows you pay other proven assets at key positions such as QB & LT. Mike T was big on trading away his draft- Sanchez, Keller, Greene, SHill & Revis were all examples. He also surrendered picks on Tebow, Cro, Santonio. Revis was a score but we did give up a lot of shots on goal over the last five years. I have a hard time naming any severely undervalued Jets but there are plenty of overvalued ones such as Harris and Sanchez. Thats a failure of the GM

A new GM is bit like a new dentist- you don't know if they are any good until you start feeling the pain. Its safe to say after seven years that Mike T was bad at his job. He left us in terrible shape on the salary cap despite below average talent at the skill positions. Thats hard to accomplish.

No way Idzik can be any worse. And possibly he could end up being very good at his job. We can evaluate in 5+ years.
    During Tanny's time as GM here, were the Jets among the worst teams in the league? No they weren't. They were, overall, among the better teams, not top 5 but certainly better than average. Most of the teams in the league were managed worse than the Jets were. And most prior Jets regimes did a worse job than Tannnenbaum.

He didn't do a great job in the draft, but that's only part of the GMs job. He did make trades with good value that put the Jets in contention. If you were happy getting a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl in 2009 and 2010, you can't complain too much about trading draft picks to get the players who got us there.

Izdik may be better or worse, time will tell.

Can someone summarize what was said on the Fat Sweats show yesterday?

I missed it and was wondering how he reacted if/when Tanny said he was responsible for Tebow..

Hall Of Fame
    Tanny continues his media tour on Thursday. He will be in studio for NFL Total Access on NFLN to discuss the AFC East.

I think he is trying to get into the media. Maybe he will replace Lombardi on NFLN.

lol, imagine Tanny working for the NFL. Derp would probably try to extend Heath Evans and LT's contracts.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    lol, imagine Tanny working for the NFL. Derp would probably try to extend Heath Evans and LT's contracts.
    It would be strange watching him work there. Evans, Lombardi and Sharper basically bashed Rex and Tanny every chance they got.

He was on ProFootallTalk and was HORRIBLE. He's supposed to be a GM analyst offering insight and opinion and his answers were vague and evasive, a politician to the very end. So glad this loser POS is gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    He was on ProFootallTalk and was HORRIBLE. He's supposed to be a GM analyst offering insight and opinion and his answers were vague and evasive, a politician to the very end. So glad this loser POS is gone.
    My assertion is that he took his marching orders from the HC either partially or in the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    My assertion is that he took his marching orders from the HC either partially or in the majority.
    I don't believe that. He developed a huge ego after he turned on Mangini and was as interested in making news for his self and fostering his image than he was in creating a football team

I was in the post though referring to how terrible he is as an announcer.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    During Tanny's time as GM here, were the Jets among the worst teams in the league? No they weren't. They were, overall, among the better teams, not top 5 but certainly better than average. Most of the teams in the league were managed worse than the Jets were. And most prior Jets regimes did a worse job than Tannnenbaum.

He didn't do a great job in the draft, but that's only part of the GMs job. He did make trades with good value that put the Jets in contention. If you were happy getting a legitimate chance at a Super Bowl in 2009 and 2010, you can't complain too much about trading draft picks to get the players who got us there.

+1

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I don't believe that. He developed a huge ego after he turned on Mangini and was as interested in making news for his self and fostering his image than he was in creating a football team

I was in the post though referring to how terrible he is as an announcer.
    That may be accurate and that would account for our $hitty drafts since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post

I would argue that the 08 team before Favre got hurt was among the best Jets teams ever and might well have been the best team in the NFL that year. The 09 team with the best overall D and running game was certainly a top 4 NFL team. Tanny's problem is Favre got hurt and Sanchez wasn't near ready to take his teams all the way.

Teams rarely stay on top year after year without having to rebuild particularly when they don't have a top quality QB in his prime. GM's that teams get over the hump get a chance to rebuild. Those that don't get fired.

If Izdik builds a squad as good as the 08 or 09 Jets in the next 2 or 3 years I would give him major props.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I would argue that the 08 team before Favre got hurt was among the best Jets teams ever and might well have been the best team in the NFL that year. The 09 team with the best overall D and running game was certainly a top 4 NFL team. Tanny's problem is Favre got hurt and Sanchez wasn't near ready to take his teams all the way.

Teams rarely stay on top year after year without having to rebuild particularly when they don't have a top quality QB in his prime. GM's that teams get over the hump get a chance to rebuild. Those that don't get fired.

If Izdik builds a squad as good as the 08 or 09 Jets in the next 2 or 3 years I would give him major props.
    I agree. I think the 2008 team was our best team since 1998. The first 11 games we had excellent play from the QB position. Favre got injured and the rest is history.

The key to the 2008-2010 run was Tanny clearing a ton of cap room from 2006-2007 and spending wisely in 2008 to bolster the OL and DL. That combined with solid drafts in 2006 and 2007 made us competitive right away.

That is why I hope Idzik does not spend a lot this year. Let the guaranteed money on some of these contracts run out and we will have a nice chunk of change and flexibility in 2014. If we get a decent draft this year and next we will be right back in the thick of things. But ultimately we are going to need significant improvement at the QB position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. I think the 2008 team was our best team since 1998. The first 11 games we had excellent play from the QB position. Favre got injured and the rest is history.

The key to the 2008-2010 run was Tanny clearing a ton of cap room from 2006-2007 and spending wisely in 2008 to bolster the OL and DL. That combined with solid drafts in 2006 and 2007 made us competitive right away.

That is why I hope Idzik does not spend a lot this year. Let the guaranteed money on some of these contracts run out and we will have a nice chunk of change and flexibility in 2014. If we get a decent draft this year and next we will be right back in the thick of things. But ultimately we are going to need significant improvement at the QB position.
    Also agree. I was in Nashville for the game when we beat the 10-0 Titans.

That team was built on smart drafting and personnel moves..... I repeat, NOT SURE Tanny was mainly responsible for those drafts.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I have to tell you, I have alot of respect for him. It is not like he meant for bad things to happen, but it did. He takes the results and the consequences like a man. I appreciate that with all the finger pointers in the world today.
    Exactly. And to his point most of the decisions were made collectively. Ryan and Schotty & Sparano are also to blame here. Especially because Ryan is limited as a HC to defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Tannenbaum, via NFL Network, on Sanchez: "I don't think I'd sign a QB to an ext. knowing he'd have 26 turnovers." But also had 26 in '11.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Tannenbaum, via NFL Network, on Sanchez: "I don't think I'd sign a QB to an ext. knowing he'd have 26 turnovers." But also had 26 in '11.
    LOL.

What a ****in tool.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

What a ****in tool.
    My how far Tanny has fallen from the days of bragging on Hard Knocks how smart he was for trading for Holmes....LOL