Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OLB/DE

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    LOL you should talk. Hope all is well with you. My mantra will never change when it comes to football. You get a QB protect the QB run the ball and most importantly, stop the other team from scoring as often as possible.

In other words:

Run the ball throw high percentage passes and play top end defense.
    Thank you for agreeing with me. I knew you'd see it my way

_

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Thank you for agreeing with me. I knew you'd see it my way

_
    Anything to help out an old friend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @seniorbowl: 3-4 teams wasting their time working C Washington as an OLB, he is a
    4-3 DE all the way. His @seniorbowl work was excellent and ran 4.55.

@seniorbowl: C Washington came to @seniorbowl as a 5th/6th rounder. He is now a 2nd/3rd candidate, and a total "steal" in 4th. Plays hard and can fly.
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-11-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @MoveTheSticks: Watching one more tape on LSU's defense. Mingo is a tough one…His closing burst is impressive but I don't see same juice in his get off.

@MoveTheSticks: RT @nfldraftscout: I would take Dion Jordan over Mingo.> Me too

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not want Jordan at all. a whopping 5 sacks last year and 10.5 tfl. I keep hearing "He is smooth and flexable and looked pretty good in drills, he will be a good cover lb. He might be able to develop into a pass rusher." F that. I don't want another Pace or thomas. I want a pass rusher. Jarvis jones the last two years has had 14.5 and 13.5 sacks and 19.5 and 24.5 tfl in the sec.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really don't understand why so many are so obsessed with building some kind of superunit on defense when our offense struggles just to score 10 points a game.
    Because Rex gets a ton out of his defensive stars; and keeps the other guys hungry with role-swapping. We've seen a super unit; back in 09.

That's why, breh

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I honestly think the "hip fluidity" is vastly overrated with rush-OLBs. Physicality and motor are much more important for what we need defensively as our OLBs rarely are going to turn and run with opposing TEs.

Id be more concerned with hip fluidity with one of our ILBs who are going to need to be faster and will be in coverage more.
    I think the Patriots have a nice screen game; maybe you've seen it?

I always enjoy your posts; just putting something out there. I like the game tape of Ansah. Not the top level of competition; however, he DOES look like the Missing Piece to Our Next Sack Exchange. I get giddy thinking about Ansah; but I can't tell.

Okay I just read the Ziggy thread

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj
    Im with ya on Ansah...I think he has the perfect size/speed/strength to play the hybrid OLB/DE that rex likes to use (dont forget how often pace/BT played with a hand on the ground).

While very raw, he has the abilty to set the edge as well as chase plays down with speed.

Plus, at 270lbs, he can allow us some flexibility by playing a smaller sized LB on the weak side....someone like kiko alonso who can cover.

All that being said, i think the "boom or bust" thing should be discussed a little more here. What exactly is ansah's "bust" potential, basically what is his floor as an NFL player.

Worst case ansah winds up as a guy who cant really play in space, and has to be a 4-3 DE. He isnt going to suddenly become slow or lose weight off his frame, so at the absolute worst, he is rotational DE.

Now look at the "floor" for mingo or jones. Jones is he is out of the league due to injury (not what i think will happen, but thats his red flag), Mingo could be a maybin 2.0 and waiver material. Is that not more risky?

Lastly, as far as warmack being the "best guard in the last 10 years" there are a number of scouts who prefer cooper to him in this draft, let alone all time. He is an exceptional player, who was on a great line....but taking the safe pick here is not how you build a championship team.

Ansah definitely IS the answer IMO
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-19-2013 at 01:24 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Think Mingo played with a light defensive line? Thus was shown up because of the deficiencies on his defensive line - this would/could explain his lack of production?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard one of the guys on Sirius NFL Radio compare Jordan to Jason Taylor. Haven't seen enough of him to know if that's a valid comparison. What do you guys think?

The guy that really has my attention is Jamie Collins from Southern Miss. All of the measureables and looked good in LB drills at the combine. Heard he might be shooting up the boards too. Any thoughts on him in the 2nd if we go OL at 9 and don't get 13 for Revis?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I do not want Jordan at all. a whopping 5 sacks last year and 10.5 tfl. I keep hearing "He is smooth and flexable and looked pretty good in drills, he will be a good cover lb. He might be able to develop into a pass rusher." F that. I don't want another Pace or thomas. I want a pass rusher. Jarvis jones the last two years has had 14.5 and 13.5 sacks and 19.5 and 24.5 tfl in the sec.
    He wasn't asked very often too rush the passer at oregon. When he was asked, he had alot of success.The problems he ran into, was getting of blocks on occasion. He needs to bulk up, and improve his strength. One year in the off season program, he's going to be a nightmare to QB's. and still be able to drop into coverage. a complete player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    @TonyPauline: Am told there's a definite possibility Damontre Moore/OLB/Texas A&M runs the forty again prior to the draft...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    He wasn't asked very often too rush the passer at oregon. When he was asked, he had alot of success.The problems he ran into, was getting of blocks on occasion. He needs to bulk up, and improve his strength. One year in the off season program, he's going to be a nightmare to QB's. and still be able to drop into coverage. a complete player.
    A complete player, IF he becomes a pass rusher. If not he is Calvin Pace, Bryan thomas a few years ago complete. A lot of success didn't translate into many sacks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @TonyPauline: Am told there's a definite possibility Damontre Moore/OLB/Texas A&M runs the forty again prior to the draft...
    Nice, of all the guys, with all the questions and concerns, I'm oddly not as scared of Moore as I am with some of the others. There's always a Mike Williams risk with a guy like this, but at least I know he can do the job we'd ask of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Nice, of all the guys, with all the questions and concerns, I'm oddly not as scared of Moore as I am with some of the others. There's always a Mike Williams risk with a guy like this, but at least I know he can do the job we'd ask of him.
    Agree about moore - while he had the poorest combine performance, he seems like he is the best "football player" and shouldnt that be what we want?

What worries me about jordan, is that whoever we draft to play this OLB spot, needs to be a speed/rush end on 3rd down and he seems uncomfortable in a 3 point stance. Maybe rex will use him as a blitzing LB like adalius thomas?