Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Orakpo, Matthews, Miller, Suggs?
    Just saying there are not many.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtySanchez7 View Post

Would anyone like the idea of drafting Ansah at 9 and Mingo/Jordan at 13
    Colossal mistake.

I'm gonna go on record to say that none of those early OLBs deserve to be selected that high. It's a mess. All of them.

The more I look at Ansah, the more i see that trying to start him at OLB will be a Vernon-esque mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think we need to look at what our scheme really is. How often was Pace or more importantly terrell suggs in Baltimore in coverage? Very very rarely as they were too valuable rushing the passer. Suggs also was strong enough to play the run very well and fast enough to disrupt screens etc - basically exactly what we would ask ansah to do.

Very rarely does Rex like to show a front with 3 down lineman and his OLBs standing up...usually one is standing and one is on the line.

Also, while i definitely see where you see the cople comparison (both in the 6'5-6'6 area) but ansah is 270 (and he is a bit older so weight gain shouldnt be very big nor would we want him over 280) while coples is about 290 and will probably wind up playing at 295+. But more to their ability on the field, coples is a great 3-4 end as he is better on the interior then on the edge....he is more quick then fast and has ridiculous strength to play inside. Ansah was legitimately a track athlete at his size and can play off the line and chasing backside.

I think they would be very complementary players.
    Very true. Coples and Ansah are two very distinct players with complementary, dominant skill sets. Coples an exceptional interior rusher, and Ansah with blazing speed on the outside. In the OP's scenario I would go with Jordan at 9 and Mingo/Ansah at 13. Then go O the rest of the draft. We could even get decent OLBs in the2nd and 3rd rather than 2 in the first...

Anybody think there's a chance that we draft 2 pass rushers?

I know that sounds crazy and Jets fans might hate the thought of that. But we might have to. Right now we have none. And we wont have any money to sign one in the offseason.

So we might have to go out and draft 2. One in the early rounds and one in the later rounds.

A combination of Mingo/Jones & Jenkins/Buchanan would certainly make me jizz

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Colossal mistake.

I'm gonna go on record to say that none of those early OLBs deserve to be selected that high. It's a mess. All of them.

The more I look at Ansah, the more i see that trying to start him at OLB will be a Vernon-esque mistake.
    Agree. I think many of these guys bust in the pro's. Ansah didn't look very fluid to my eyes in drills... In fact, the 6-8 Hunt looked better.

I see a lot more Gholston than I care to see in Ansah.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Agree. I think many of these guys bust in the pro's. Ansah didn't look very fluid to my eyes in drills... In fact, the 6-8 Hunt looked better.

I see a lot more Gholston than I care to see in Ansah.
    Curious what the thoughts are on Jamie Collins. Measurables are terrific and he produced in college. Seems a very good fit for a 3-4 OLB. Second round?

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Curious what the thoughts are on Jamie Collins. Measurables are terrific and he produced in college. Seems a very good fit for a 3-4 OLB. Second round?
    I didn't know anything about this guy until last night when I was watching his performance at the combine and they were talking about him on NFL Network. He's a freak and moved really well, very fluid.

In general I think guys like him get talked about going in rd.2, but ultimately get drafted in rd. 1 just because the potential is through the roof.

he's also got some stats to back up those measurables - 45 tackles for losses in college...

EDIT - I watched some tape just now vs Nebraska, he doesn't look like even a 2nd rounder. Not physical enough + doesn't look like he has a great motor. Going to look at more...
    Last edited by Monsterxman; 03-02-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Mayock has him listed as the 2nd best 3-4 OLB over Mingo. I just think this whole 3-4 OLB group is so close it is hard to take one over the other. Dion and Mingo seem to be majority top billing. Werner, Ansah, Moore, Monti, Hunt Datone Jones, Okafor, Jarvis Jones, Carradine, and Alec Ogletree all seem to be worth a 1st round that fit the bill in one way or anther. This is just a deep 3-4 OLB class IMO.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

couple nice highlights on jones, mingo, porter, jenkins, hodges

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBEFdtnbFCY

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

very impressive one for Ansah ... might have just forced me to want him as our pick at 9 if he's there

love how he is able to shed blocks, seems to do a great job of picking angles to make the play, wraps up nice & makes the tackle when he's in position ... love the awareness to stop the boise st. fake punt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtBmOdYsqo

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

dion jordan clips ... his height & wingspan just make him seem bigger than most everyone else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UwVrBRruEk

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Mayock has him listed as the 2nd best 3-4 OLB over Mingo. I just think this whole 3-4 OLB group is so close it is hard to take one over the other. Dion and Mingo seem to be majority top billing. Werner, Ansah, Moore, Monti, Hunt Datone Jones, Okafor, Jarvis Jones, Carradine, and Alec Ogletree all seem to be worth a 1st round that fit the bill in one way or anther. This is just a deep 3-4 OLB class IMO.
    Just thinking that Collins in the second allows us to take a monster guard in the first and still get a high quality 3-4 pass rusher. If we followed that with a WR or RB (Bernard or Gilislee, for example), that would help us a great deal. I just don't think Rex can tolerate not using that first round pick on defense. He'll start salivating if he's got Jordan or Jones or Mingo or Ansah sitting there at #9. I also seriously don't expect the Jets to waste any of the top three picks on a QB this year. The quality isn't there. They're going vet FA and setting up for their run at a draft QB for next year.

Just thinking that Collins in the second allows us to take a monster guard in the first and still get a high quality 3-4 pass rusher. If we followed that with a WR or RB (Bernard or Gilislee, for example), that would help us a great deal. I just don't think Rex can tolerate not using that first round pick on defense. He'll start salivating if he's got Jordan or Jones or Mingo or Ansah sitting there at #9. I also seriously don't expect the Jets to waste any of the top three picks on a QB this year. The quality isn't there. They're going vet FA and setting up for their run at a draft QB for next year.
    I like this thinking and think it could go either way with OLB and OG as our first 2 picks. These are premium picks in positions of depth in this draft that fill immediate needs.

I'd like to see OLB in the 1st (Jordan, Jones, Ansah) and OG in the second. Or OL in the 1st (Warmack or stud OT that can also play OG) and Collins in the 2nd. I'm afraid Collins wont make it to us though.

I also like the depth at TE and RB. With our mid rounders I'd like to see RB, TE, and perhaps a QB

It seems not only it is it difficult to rank the DE / OLB prospects in round one of this draft but that there is a high boom bust rate on them as well (especially at OLB).

Perhaps it would make more sense to take Warmack or a RT and worry about the pass rush in round 2-3.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I didn't know anything about this guy until last night when I was watching his performance at the combine and they were talking about him on NFL Network. He's a freak and moved really well, very fluid.

In general I think guys like him get talked about going in rd.2, but ultimately get drafted in rd. 1 just because the potential is through the roof.

he's also got some stats to back up those measurables - 45 tackles for losses in college...

EDIT - I watched some tape just now vs Nebraska, he doesn't look like even a 2nd rounder. Not physical enough + doesn't look like he has a great motor. Going to look at more...
    I honestly think the "hip fluidity" is vastly overrated with rush-OLBs. Physicality and motor are much more important for what we need defensively as our OLBs rarely are going to turn and run with opposing TEs.

Id be more concerned with hip fluidity with one of our ILBs who are going to need to be faster and will be in coverage more.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I honestly think the "hip fluidity" is vastly overrated with rush-OLBs. Physicality and motor are much more important for what we need defensively as our OLBs rarely are going to turn and run with opposing TEs.

Id be more concerned with hip fluidity with one of our ILBs who are going to need to be faster and will be in coverage more.
    I don't know, that's tough to say. It seems pretty important at any position to me. Its always more advantageous.

@seniorbowl: NYJ could use an OT or OG or an outside pass rusher. In Rex's 3-4, D Jordan or Mingo would fit. Could be laying in weeds for OL.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Colossal mistake.

I like Jarvis Jones after that this is not a great class of OLB/DE's. It's being overrated by posters on this board who are desperate for a pass rushing OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I like Jarvis Jones after that this is not a great class of OLB/DE's. It's being overrated by posters on this board who are desperate for a pass rushing OLB.
    I don't agree with this at all. I have been watching a lot of tape on Ansah & he seems to have great recognition & can start & stop on a dime.
    At his size to be able to move around like that it's not easy to find.
    He looks like a much more advanced Bryan Thomas.
    Anyone saying Ansah reminds them of the ghost is nuts.
    The ghost was stiff as a board. Ansahs fluid.
    Rex would turn this guy into a monster. I'm telling you guys, Ansah will be Aldon Smith like in 2 years.

All Pro
    Quanterus Smith should be a damn good rush LB once he returns from his injury... would be a great option later in the draft... had 3 sacks last season against Bama and their monster OLine...