Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OLB/DE

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon) is widely considered the best 3-4 defense DE/OLB in the draft:

Kiper, as of yesterday, had the Jets picking Dion Jordan with the 9th overall pick, a sure kiss of death.

Trade Revis for QB Alex Smith a West Coast offense QB

1st round pick. OLD/DE Dion Jordan (Oregon)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...dan?id=2539288

2nd round pick. RB Joseph Randle (Oklahoma State) well fitted for a WCO.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...dle?id=2540171

3rd round pick. S Tony Hefferson (Oklahoma).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540164

Those are my picks and Im stickin' with 'em.... For now.
    What about Foles instead of Smith.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Jarvis Jones

Jarvis Jones

Jarvis Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If Rex is such a defensive guru, then we shouldn't have to spend 1st round picks on the defensive side year after year.

Some of you guys are acting like we can only get a passrusher at #9.

I personally have no problem with waiting and getting someone like Alex Okafor or Brandon Jenkins in the mid rounds.

I have way more faith in a guy like Warmack being a stud OL for the next decade than I do with someone like Mingo or Ansah developing into an elite passrusher.

It's time for this team to get some bluechip talent on the offensive side. Build up the OL and get back to pushing teams around.
    Warford in the 2nd is better from a relative standpoint than Jenkins/Okafor at that same spot.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Interesting article about Mingo and Montgomery.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ersion-10.html

As many NFL teams prepare to hold pre-combine draft meetings there will be a lot of debates going on about different player’s value as their skill sets are evaluated and compared to others who play their position. Obviously, the top players at each position will be compared as team’s try to determine which players best fit their offensive and defensive schemes. Today we compare LSU’s two junior defensive ends/pass rushers Barkevious Mingo and Sam Montgomery and try to determine where they fit best in the NFL.

From their physique to the way they play the game, they are drastically different in nearly every area. Although both are estimated (As they are both underclassmen their actual height will not be determined until they are measured at the Combine) to be 6’5, they have different physiques. Mingo is a long and linear looking athlete with a wiry muscular appearance, while Montgomery is a thick and muscular defender who looks like he spends a lot of time in the weight room and definitely is a guy you want leading you team off the bus. Their appearances directly correlate to the style that they play.

Mingo is a premier athletic talent who combination of explosiveness, quickness, agility, balance and flexibility give him the talent to defeat blocks easily when he has space to move. He relies on his initial quickness off the ball and speed to threaten the corner as an edge rusher. His agility allows him to change directions in a flash and he combines that with his good hand use to try and beat the pass blocker with a variety of secondary pass rush moves. The big issue is that that Mingo tends to get upright and gives up leverage often and combined with his thin frame he can be tied up and easily eliminated from the play if the offensive tackle can “get a good fit” on him. Much more effective rushing the passer from a wide alignment and chasing down running plays in pursuit, he is does not consistently produce when he does not attack the play aggressively which is too often. Additionally, if the pass blocker stops his initial attack, he has a tendency to get upright, does not stay after pass rush consistently and ends up “chicken fighting” with OT. Mingo’s lack of ideal bulk (He reportedly played in the high 230’s and low 240’s in 2012) hinders his ability to get a push when he bull rushes and to hold ground vs run blocks. While Mingo’s game is based around his athleticism and he flashes game changing production, Montgomery plays a different, but more consistent game.

Thickly built with long arms, Montgomery is much more of a power player than an explosive one. Although his first step off the ball is good, he lacks the elite burst and speed to threaten the corner consistently and does not show burst out of change of direction to beat OT back inside. Rather than trying to beat OT with speed and quickness, he is much more productive when as a power rusher when he maintains leverage and uses hands aggressively. While he lacks the explosive secondary pass rush moves to cleanly beat OT if his initial rush is stopped, he consistently keeps feet moving and stays after rush which allows him to get some pressure on the QB through sheer effort and hustle. Although Montgomery is a drastically differently pass rusher than Mingo, the biggest difference between the two is against the run. Montgomery does a good job of taking on run blocks on running plays to his side, maintains his responsibility, uses his long arms to keep blocker at an arm’s length and can free up to make the tackle. While he lacks Mingo’s uncommon chase speed, he was consistently productive coming down the line to make tackles on running plays within the tackle box.

There is no doubt in my mind that based on film evaluation, Montgomery has the better chance of being a solid, dependable starting defensive end in the NFL, but Mingo has the potential to be a more impactful player because of his rare physical talent. I believe Mingo would be best suited to playing outside linebacker in a 34 scheme where he could line up wider and farther away from the OT, which would allow him to rely upon his athleticism to defeat pass blocks. Additionally, lining up wide and in a two point stance would allow Mingo time to read and react to the play before having to take on and defeat a block. While I am confident that Montgomery could be a productive outside linebacker in a 34 scheme because he would be outstanding against the run and a solid pass rusher, his best position would be as a base 43 defensive end who can shut down the run to his side of the field and will get pressure on the QB through effort, technique and strength despite lacking elite athletic traits. Mingo is likely to be drafted higher, but if I were making the selection I would choose Montgomery as I feel he is a more complete all-around player who should be able to challenge for a starting job as a rookie. Mingo reminds me a little of former Titans' pass rusher Jevon Kearse and current Bengals' pass rusher Aaron Maybin, while Montgomery is more like the Ravens Paul Kruger.
    I luv Montgomery size 6'5 260 and his 40 time.. 4.5 forty is blazing for a man Montgomery's size.. OLB in the 34 or DE in the 34 or 43 would work. JETS should draft him with there Revis pic..

Exclamation

Obviously the Jets need to figure out who is playing quarterback and need to acquire more offensive weapons, but with the ninth pick in the draft, there is one thing that this team desperately needs.

At #9 Overall the Jets have to draft a pass rusher. A standup DE/OLB who can pressure the quarterback. All successful 3-4 defenses have a guy like this (example Ware in Dallas, Suggs in Baltimore). I like what we have up front with Wilkerson and Coples. We have no pass rushing threat. That's why I like Jarvis Jones or Mingo at #9 overall.

In the second round the Jets can target an offensive weapon. In the first I think we need an elite pass rusher.

I found this really interesting Big Board from Sportsmasher.com that has intersting information on the top 70 or so players in the 2013 draft, and has them ranked regardless of position. Definitely worth a look.

http://sportsmasher.com/2013/02/08/2...d-version-1-0/

@NFLDraftInsider: LSU DE, & arguably the most raw talented player in the draft, Barkevious Mingo said he has bulked up from 230lbs to 245lbs in just 6 weeks.

@NFLDraftInsider: LSU DE Barkevious Mingo also stated he has actually gotten faster while adding the 15lbs & says he can play either DE or OLB in the NFL.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @NFLDraftInsider: LSU DE, & arguably the most raw talented player in the draft, Barkevious Mingo said he has bulked up from 230lbs to 245lbs in just 6 weeks.

@NFLDraftInsider: LSU DE Barkevious Mingo also stated he has actually gotten faster while adding the 15lbs & says he can play either DE or OLB in the NFL.
    This guy and the LBer from Georgia scare the poop out of me.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    This guy and the LBer from Georgia scare the poop out of me.
    What worries you about Mingo?

All Pro

Cool

I look at him and i see Manny Lawson. Lawson made more plays at NC State.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    What about Foles instead of Smith.
    I'd rather Colt McCoy.

Veteran
    I want one of Moore, Mingo, or Jones at 9, then I draft Chase Thomas out of Stanford to fill the other OLB spot in the later rounds.

He's solid vs the run and got after the QB.

1. OLB-Moore/Mingo/Jones
    2. OG-Warford
    3. HB-Taylor (unless one of the top 3 QB's drop this far Barkley/Nassib)
    4. OLB-Thomas

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd rather Colt McCoy.
    Foles could wind up with Andy, but what would Andy know?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd rather Colt McCoy.
    Foles looked good to me in the games I saw from Philly. I'd take him over Sanchez in 3 seconds. McCoy, haven't seen enough of him to judge I suppose.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I look at him and i see Manny Lawson. Lawson made more plays at NC State.
    Dion Jordan is much more like Manny Lawson than Mingo.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    I want one of Moore, Mingo, or Jones at 9, then I draft Chase Thomas out of Stanford to fill the other OLB spot in the later rounds.

He's solid vs the run and got after the QB.

1. OLB-Moore/Mingo/Jones
    2. OG-Warford
    3. HB-Taylor (unless one of the top 3 QB's drop this far Barkley/Nassib)
    4. OLB-Thomas
    I'd take this draft in a New York minute.

All Pro
    Dion Jordan is much more like Manny Lawson than Mingo.

Jack of all trades, master of none.
    That may very well be, but if it's up to me i don't want any 240lb taking on OT or attempting to consistantly set the edge on my team. Those guys make excellent weakside linebackers in 43 defenses if they're worth their sand.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let Jordan be there at 9 ... Please!!!

Djr

Hall Of Fame
    If Rex is such a defensive guru, then we shouldn't have to spend 1st round picks on the defensive side year after year.

Some of you guys are acting like we can only get a passrusher at #9.

I personally have no problem with waiting and getting someone like Alex Okafor or Brandon Jenkins in the mid rounds.

I have way more faith in a guy like Warmack being a stud OL for the next decade than I do with someone like Mingo or Ansah developing into an elite passrusher.

It's time for this team to get some bluechip talent on the offensive side. Build up the OL and get back to pushing teams around.
    I was actually thinking about 3-4 OLB pass rushers. EVERY year teams seem to be looking for the perfect 3-4 pass rusher in the first round. Yet, he never comes to fruition. Other than Ware from dALLAS. I really can't think of a dominant and consistent 3-4 OLB passrusher. Perhaps it is over rated.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    I was actually thinking about 3-4 OLB pass rushers. EVERY year teams seem to be looking for the perfect 3-4 pass rusher in the first round. Yet, he never comes to fruition. Other than Ware from dALLAS. I really can't think of a dominant and consistent 3-4 OLB passrusher. Perhaps it is over rated.
    Orakpo, Matthews, Miller, Suggs?

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Orakpo, Matthews, Miller, Suggs?
    You can add Kerrigan and Aldon Smith to that list too