Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: With the 9th Pick, The NY Jets Select.....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd rather take the best overall OL prospect in this draft than take the 3rd/4th rated passrusher at #9 (Mingo/Ansah). The only defensive player that I could get fully on board with at #9 is Damontre Moore and there's a snowballs chance in hell that he falls to us.
    The question isn't how many players are better than him. The question is how much worse of a player will you get if you address that position later in the draft. Compare OL in the 1st and OLB in the 2nd vs. OLB in the 1st and OL in the 2nd. You should think about a pair of players before deciding to get a guard so high.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if any "playmakers" are high in this draft so that being said the OG vs OLB is the debate IMO. Looking back at Seahawks picks not sure where Idzik would be more likely to go but not afraid to pick O-linemen. That being said I think that wil be the choice barring any set backs. Very skeptical of the late bloomer playmakers that shoot up board. If you weren't that dude in college doubt it changes with the big boys

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    And Iupati has been excellent for the 49ers and DeCastro played well for the Steelers his rookie season once he got over the knee injury.
    And high pick olineman have busted as well. Monroe 6th overall is nothing special for jacksonville. We have the #2 pick in the 2009 draft on our team right now in jason smith. Jake Long might be on the outs in miami, chris williams fort the bears, total bust. Just as with all positions, some guys would have been drafted higher, some much lower.

If we pass on one of the top 4 olb propsects at the very least one of the top 3 for a guard, even a good one I'll be pissed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't pick an OG at #9 overall.. you just don't.

DeCastro was taken at #24.
    Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

You have to go back to 1997 to find a guard drafted in the top 10 - #10 pick Chris Naeole.. and back to 1986 to find the next - #9 pick John Rienstra

You want to tell me that the Jets should trade down to 15-20 and select Warmack, and add a 2nd or a 3rd rounder, great... but I'm seeing the same posts on here as I did in 2012 when a handful of fans were praying that DeCastro slipped to the Jets (and some even wanted us to trade up to get him!)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post

Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

You have to go back to 1997 to find a guard drafted in the top 10 - #10 pick Chris Naeole.. and back to 1986 to find the next - #9 pick John Rienstra

You want to tell me that the Jets should trade down to 15-20 and select Warmack, and add a 2nd or a 3rd rounder, great... but I'm seeing the same posts on here as I did in 2012 when a handful of fans were praying that DeCastro slipped to the Jets (and some even wanted us to trade up to get him!)
    yep... been saying the same same thing...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

And the only reason Pouncey and Iupati went so high was because Pouncey was an OC and Iupati played OT at their college programs.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

One point that Tony made about the relative value of Warmack, that bears repeating....this draft doesn't have the marquee players that other drafts may have. Last year, there were 3 QBs worthy of going in the top 10 - this year, there may be none.

DeCastro would almost certainly go higher if he was in the 13' draft. And, if Warmack is rated higher than DeCastro - which he appears to be - going #9 or so isn't that much of a stretch.

Sure I'd love to trade down to pick up some more picks and still get a guy like Warmack. But if he truly represents value and fits a real need, I wouldn't pass him up solely on account of sticking to a stubborn principle of "Guards are not top 10 picks".

Its Ok to have philisophical views about what you should and shouldn't do, but they can't be immutable - they need to be adapted to the specific situation.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont want any projects with the 1st 3 picks. If possible trade down in the 1st and take another safe pick. There are plenty of player who will be safe picks to be good players in the NFL. Players like Mingo, Ezekiel Ansah and Dion Jordan scare me. We need to get players that WILL be ok at worst not players that need to add weight or are boom/bust guys. This year any of the QBs fit into that classification. It seems like there are plenty of OT,G, RB,TE,S and OLB that could be had in the 1st 4 rounds that we could fill some holes making us a better team down the line.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

Are you telling me that if we could go back in time knowing what we know now, guys like Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca, Mike Iupati, Marshall Yanda and Logan Mankins wouldn't be Top 10 picks?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    The question isn't how many players are better than him. The question is how much worse of a player will you get if you address that position later in the draft. Compare OL in the 1st and OLB in the 2nd vs. OLB in the 1st and OL in the 2nd. You should think about a pair of players before deciding to get a guard so high.
    I've already thought about it.

I'll take Chance Warmack/Alex Okafor over Ziggy Ansah/Barrett Jones anyday of the week.

Some of you guys are acting like it's impossible for us to find a passrusher outside of the 1st round.

Warmack is one of the Top 3 overall players in this draft and the best OG prospect to come out in over a decade. Guys like Ansah and Mingo aren't even the best passrushers in this draft class.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Pouncey at #15
    Iupati at #17
    Hutchinson at #17
    Faneca at #26

Doesn't matter where they were drafted. What matters is where they would be drafted if teams got to redo the draft from those years.

If you get a great player it doesn't matter where you pick him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mingo or Warmack

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cordarelle Patterson may be JETS Rice in a couple of years.Lets hope this administration understands the importance of a game breaker at both, wide receiver/kick off returns.He may not fall to us but if so, i am in for Patterson.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by miamijet1 View Post
    Cordarelle Patterson may be JETS Rice in a couple of years.Lets hope this administration understands the importance of a game breaker at both, wide receiver/kick off returns.He may not fall to us but if so, i am in for Patterson.
    Won't fall to us?

He probably won't even go in the 1st round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Won't fall to us?

He probably won't even go in the 1st round.
    I think he's safely a 1st rounder. But he could go almost anywhere in the round although most mocks seem to see him as a 15-25 guy.

I'd be pretty shocked if the Jets take him. If we're going offense at 9, I think Warmack may be the only guy that makes any sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you telling me that if we could go back in time knowing what we know now, guys like Steve Hutchinson, Alan Faneca, Mike Iupati, Marshall Yanda and Logan Mankins wouldn't be Top 10 picks?
    You simply cannot look at it that way. As I stated there are just as many busts as home runs. If you start saying that you can justify any position pick by doing what you are doing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Doesn't matter where they were drafted. What matters is where they would be drafted if teams got to redo the draft from those years.

If you get a great player it doesn't matter where you pick him.
    If you can 100% guarantee me that Warmack is going to be a pro bowler for the next 10 years straight I am in favor of the pick.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You simply cannot look at it that way. As I stated there are just as many busts as home runs. If you start saying that you can justify any position pick by doing what you are doing.
    If the guy is talented enough, any position is worthy of a Top 10 pick with the only exception being fullback.

I don't see your point here.

That there are busts at every position?

I think we're all aware of that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you can 100% guarantee me that Warmack is going to be a pro bowler for the next 10 years straight I am in favor of the pick.
    He has a helluva lot better chance of being a stud pro-bowler for the next 10 years than someone like Ansah or Mingo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He has a helluva lot better chance of being a stud pro-bowler for the next 10 years than someone like Ansah or Mingo.
    You may very well be right about what u say but since most rookie contracts are now about 4 yrs, let me present this question.

If Both Warmack and Ansah live up to what us fans think they will be, who would you prefer to give the big money extension too at that time ?